View Full Version : Player of week award reflects Parker's passion

fordfixer
09-12-2008, 12:58 AM
Steelers Notebook: Player of week award reflects Parker's passion
Thursday, September 11, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Matt Freed/Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08255/911203-66.stm

Willie Parker has won AFC player of the week before. It's not the most gratifying award the NFL issues -- they don't even give you a watch or a T-shirt.

This week's award, though, held special meaning for Parker, whose 2007 season ended on his first carry in the 15th game when his right fibula was broken. He came into the game at the top of the NFL rushing leaders.

"It means a lot, coming back my first game and winning it right off the top," Parker said.

He had more fun than usual playing Sunday, when he ran 25 times for 138 yards and a career-high three touchdowns in a 38-17 win against the Houston Texans at Heinz Field.

"I ran with a great passion. Last year when I got hurt, I kind of reflected back on my career and I saw I took a lot of things for granted. I didn't want to do that. My coming back, I always said, would be a new era, a new beginning for me. I'm just going to play with a passion, more than I used to play with."

Roethlisberger sits out

Ben Roethlisberger watched practice yesterday because of his sore right arm, injured on a sack by Texans defensive lineman Mario Williams that caused the quarterback to fumble.

"That is a big man," Big Ben said. "He about broke my arm when he caused the fumble. I have been hit like that a lot, but my arm was still attached to the football and he was holding my arm."

Roethlisberger said his shoulder is "good" and that resting yesterday was a precaution.

"It's a bad week for quarterbacks," Roethlisberger said in reference to several injuries that knocked out starters, including New England's Tom Brady for the season. "Look at everybody that got hurt. That's why they say it's the most physical sport we have. That's why we say at the end of the year the healthiest team usually does well. You don't expect it to be in week one. I feel OK. We'll take it day to day."

Roethlisberger also cleared Houston defensive tackle Amobi Okoye of any illegal hit when he rolled into him near the end of the first half. It's supposed to be a penalty when a player hits the quarterback below the knees.

Also sitting out practice yesterday were tackle Marvel Smith (groin), cornerback Deshea Townsend (foot) and wide receiver Hines Ward (given the practice off by coach Mike Tomlin).

Unbeaten in Ohio

Roethlisberger, from Findlay (Ohio) who played at Miami (Ohio), has not lost in Ohio since coming to the Steelers as their first-round draft choice in 2004. He is 9-0 starting in his home state -- 5-0 vs. the Cincinnati Bengals and 4-0 vs. the Cleveland Browns.

"I joked with the Cleveland media today and told them my friends won't let me live it down if I don't win in that state," Roethlisberger said. "It's something about going home and trying to win at home. It's something added for Cleveland because I think they had a pick higher than 11th in my draft."

The Browns drafted tight end Kellen Winslow with the sixth pick in the 2004 draft.

Browns lose cornerback

The Browns lost another starter to injury when they announced that strong safety Sean Jones would miss several weeks with a knee injury that needs arthroscopic surgery.

"Sean Jones has been struggling with a knee and it swelled up on him after the game," coach Romeo Crennel said yesterday. "After further evaluation, he has decided to get it scoped."

Cleveland lost starting linebacker Antwan Peek for the season last week after a knee injury in practice.
First published on September 11, 2008 at 12:00 am

rpmpit
09-12-2008, 07:59 AM
It is pretty amazing that he was able to come back so fast from his injury. And to be back at the top of his game already :Clap :Clap

My God, I never thought about the fact that Ben could have been a Brown :shock:

frankthetank1
09-12-2008, 09:06 AM
It is pretty amazing that he was able to come back so fast from his injury. And to be back at the top of his game already :Clap :Clap

it is amazing. many dont agree that fwp is a top5-8 rb in the nfl, but it's true. when there is blocking there arent many in the nfl thats as good as fwp

RuthlessBurgher
09-12-2008, 09:02 PM

The only reason he wasn't was because they signed Jeff Freaking Garcia to a big money deal that offseason. :lol: :brownssuck They actually traded up one spot with the Lions in the order to take Sista Souljah there. Who woulda thought that both of their careers might have ended with motorcycle crashes. Weird, huh?