PDA

View Full Version : Best All-Time Draft Selections By Round

Flasteel
09-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Okay, in another thread I was throwing around how Lamarr Woodley may wind up being the best second round selection this team has ever drafted.Then I started thinking that I might be talking out of my ass and decided to look it up.

Just to make things interesting, I went ahead and ranked the best at each slot that we've ever drafted. Since there are so many good...check that, great players at the top, I thought it would be best to start out with the top five number ones, then the top four number twos, top three threes and so on. I only picked one player in rounds five through seven and stopped there since that's all we draft now. The link below is a good one-page stop to check all of our draft picks out if anyone wants to object or create their own list

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/pit.htm

First Rounders
1. Joe Greene
2. Terry Bradshaw
3. Franco Harris
4. Ben Roethlisberger
5. Rod Woodson

Second Rounders
1. Jack Lambert
2. Jack Ham
3. Dermontti Dawson
4. Carnell Lake

Third Rounders
1. Mel Blount
2. Hines Ward
3. Joey Porter

Fourth Rounders
1. John Stallworth
2. Dwight White

Fifth Round
Mike Webster

Sixth Round
Greg Lloyd

Seventh Round
Dick Hoak

BigBen2112
09-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Alan Faneca was pretty damn good in the 1st 26th overall pick.

Flasteel
09-11-2008, 09:50 PM
Alan Faneca was pretty damn good in the 1st 26th overall pick.

No doubt, but would you put him ahead of any of those five?...Not me.

Mel Blount's G
09-11-2008, 10:11 PM
UDFA's
Donnie Shell
FWP

10th Round
LC Greenwood

3rd round
Jon Kolb

Shawn
09-11-2008, 10:13 PM
Woodley could possibly make that list. Sky is the limit for the kid. I have a sneaky suspicion that he could go down as the best OLB in Steeler history. Yes...I said it. I don't care if yall thinking I'm hysterical. Is it premature...yup...VERY. But, I haven't seen a guy that unblockable in a long long time. Actually, the last guy I can remember in the NFL that unblockable is LT. Let him get some additional moves, knowledge and skill and watch him bloom. It's going to be fun to watch.

RuthlessBurgher
09-11-2008, 10:13 PM
UDFA's
Donnie Shell
FWP

10th Round
LC Greenwood

3rd round
Jon Kolb

Add James Harrison to your UDFA list too.

papillon
09-11-2008, 10:16 PM
11th round - Mike Wagner

Undrafted - Donnie Shell, John Banaszak,

Pappy

MeetJoeGreene
09-11-2008, 10:44 PM
Pretty cool list.

I started a game over on Pitt live once - to see about putting together an "all time team' for some of the lower rounds - not just Steelers, but everyone. I think that I had Brady (pre-cheating) and Terrel Davis as some in my all time 6th rounders.

Might be fun for an off-season project here.

blacknblue80s
09-12-2008, 12:34 AM
1st round-- Lynn Swann

Shawn
09-12-2008, 01:00 AM
First rounder-Tim Worley?

blacknblue80s
09-12-2008, 01:55 AM
First rounder-Tim Worley?

Ahh yes... And lets not forget 1st rounder Walter Abercrombie.

Hogerules33
09-12-2008, 05:57 AM
10th Round
Merril Hoge

frankthetank1
09-12-2008, 09:10 AM
i still dont understand why woodley fell so much in the draft. if you saw him play his senior year you would of thought he would be a first round pick for sure

papillon
09-12-2008, 10:01 AM
i still dont understand why woodley fell so much in the draft. if you saw him play his senior year you would of thought he would be a first round pick for sure

Ours is not to question why, ours is to be thankful other teams were asleep at the wheel! :Cheers

Pappy

phillyesq
09-12-2008, 12:05 PM
I think Chad Brown and Levon Kirkland could be included in the discussion of second rounders. No where near the top 3, but I'd put them in the mix w/ Lake.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-12-2008, 11:43 PM
Some guys not yet mentioned:

3rd round:

Joel Steed - protypical 3-4 NT

4th round:

Ike Taylor - maybe not yet, but on his way
Aaron Smith
Deshea Townsend

5th round:

Barry Foster
Hardy Nickerson

6th round:

Willie Williams - never a star, but serviceable starter for many years

7th round:

Brett Keisel
Jeff Zgonina - never a star, but drafted in 1993 and he is still playing....are you kidding me?

8th round:

Darren Perry

11th round:

Justin Strzelczyk
Mike Wagner