PDA

View Full Version : WTF happened???

stlrz d
09-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Was the board migrated to another server???

RuthlessBurgher
09-10-2008, 09:19 PM
Was the board migrated to another server???

My elementary school science teacher taught me that boards migrate in the fall, so that might be the explanation. :wink:

ghettoscott
09-10-2008, 09:24 PM
^ :D

steelz09
09-10-2008, 09:28 PM
I'm confused.. what problems are you experiencing regarding the server?

RuthlessBurgher
09-10-2008, 09:31 PM

We couldn't log on for a good hour or so. It's working fine now though (obviously).

stlrz d
09-10-2008, 09:32 PM

For a good 2 hours or so I kept getting a page load error. Then when the board came back it was like a low fi version. A few minutes later it was back to normal. I figured maybe it had been moved to a different server.

steelz09
09-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Thats odd. I was just on the board any I wasn't having any troubles. Has anyone else been experiencing this problem.

Downtime is expected, but hopefully it doesn't become a regular thing. If so, I will switch servers to prevent this from happening but that is a painful process to take and hopefully things won't come to that.

If anyone experiences an error that says "Max Connections Exceeded" please let me know.

Thanks!

J

stlrz d
09-10-2008, 09:44 PM
Thats odd. I was just on the board any I wasn't having any troubles. Has anyone else been experiencing this problem.

Downtime is expected, but hopefully it doesn't become a regular thing. If so, I will switch servers to prevent this from happening but that is a painful process to take and hopefully things won't come to that.

If anyone experiences an error that says "Max Connections Exceeded" please let me know.

Thanks!

J

We had that a few times during the game but I've never seen it any other time. There have been a few SQL errors too, but nothing really serious that I've noticed.

That's why this time I thought something was up.

steelz09
09-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Max Connections Exceeded is referring to the maximum number of database connections (related to the board activity).

Not quite sure the best alternative to this.. reducing the number of active connections except for moving to a dedicated web server which is both costly and time consuming.

Not sure why we exceed max connections sometimes and not others. For example, we have over 40+ users on this board at one time which obviously exceeds 10 but for some reason the max connections don't exceed. At other times, it seems to exceed the max connections. I have heard from the web host that resetting the database will fix the problem most of the time but we may experience a few minutes of downtime when this happens.

Anyway, seems like it was a temporary issue. Sorry for the confusion.

RuthlessBurgher
09-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Max Connections Exceeded is referring to the maximum number of database connections (related to the board activity).

Not quite sure the best alternative to this.. reducing the number of active connections except for moving to a dedicated web server which is both costly and time consuming.

Not sure why we exceed max connections sometimes and not others. For example, we have over 40+ users on this board at one time which obviously exceeds 10 but for some reason the max connections don't exceed. At other times, it seems to exceed the max connections. I have heard from the web host that resetting the database will fix the problem most of the time but we may experience a few minutes of downtime when this happens.

While we are here talking about board issues, I have noticed recently that near the top of the page, where it says "Board Index >> Pittsburgh Steelers Message Board >> Steelers Talk" those links are no longer active, but the same ones near the bottom of the page are. Those links always worked before; they just stopped in the past week or so. Just thought I'd let you know. Thanks, j.

stlrz d
09-10-2008, 09:59 PM

No worries! I was just curious is all! :)

papillon
09-10-2008, 10:01 PM

The error I was receiving was a "connection error" and then when I would "try again" I would get the page load error. My guess on the maximum connections exceeded is "simultaneous" connections. While the limit may be set at 10, unless, 10 of the 40 users are accessing the DB at the same time you won't have a problem.

DB accesses happen in milliseconds, so, the odds of 10 users out of 40 hitting the DB simultaneously are slim. I don't know this for sure, but, I'm sure some of the esteemed posters here at the Planet are closet techno geeks and can set me straight. GLloyd are you out there? :P :moon

Pappy

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-10-2008, 10:47 PM
While we are here talking about board issues, I have noticed recently that near the top of the page, where it says "Board Index >> Pittsburgh Steelers Message Board >> Steelers Talk" those links are no longer active, but the same ones near the bottom of the page are. Those links always worked before; they just stopped in the past week or so. Just thought I'd let you know. Thanks, j.

Yes, this is pretty annoying, I have to close down the page and then reenter to have those links at the top be active.

I guess these are little bugs that come out as more people populate the Planet?

steelz09
09-10-2008, 11:10 PM
Are you saying that these links:

Board index Pittsburgh Steelers Message Board Steelers Talk

At the top of the page are not active? Are you always experience this or is just at particular times?

What browser are you all using (Internet Explorer?)

Thanks,

John

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-10-2008, 11:13 PM

At the top of the page are not active? Are you always experience this or is just at particular times?

Thanks,

John

It's intermittent here, usually right after posting. IE. Thanks!

[edit] - happened right after posting this one. Links at top are out, at bottom OK.

stlrz d
09-10-2008, 11:22 PM

Thanks,

John

Firefox user here. I have never experienced that issue.