PDA

View Full Version : The 3 step drop

stlrz d
09-10-2008, 02:22 PM
So we all saw it as part of the offense against the Texans. Do you think Arians put it in just because of the potential for pass rush that the Texans presented or will it become a permanent part of the O?

If permanent, what do you think finally changed Arians' mind? 47 sacks? Tomlin? Ben? Or do you think he just decided to do it on his own?

Oviedo
09-10-2008, 02:37 PM
It better be in the plan for this weekend because the Browns will constantly be rushing 6-7 pass rushers every play to try to protect their depleted secondary and hopefully knock Ben out of the game. Ben will have to get rid of the ball fast, very fast.

papillon
09-10-2008, 03:51 PM
So we all saw it as part of the offense against the Texans. Do you think Arians put it in just because of the potential for pass rush that the Texans presented or will it become a permanent part of the O?

If permanent, what do you think finally changed Arians' mind? 47 sacks? Tomlin? Ben? Or do you think he just decided to do it on his own?

I hope it stays and becomes a permanent part of the offense. I believe it was put in for the purpose of giving defenses something else to think about. The Steelers were known for their vertical passing game and running the football. Now they will have to deal with the quick passing game as well. It makes the Steelers more difficult to defend.

Isn't it cool having a quarterback that can make all the throws and reads regardless of the style of offense that is being used? This will come in handy during the two minute offense as well late in a game.

Just my 2 cents...

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
09-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Arians was Peyton Manning's first QB coach in the NFL once upon a time. He knows all about the 3 step drop, and should utilize it as a part of this offense.

Flasteel
09-10-2008, 04:59 PM

I think he was reading my scathing comments towards his refusal to adopt this last year.

Okay, I'm kidding.

I think it's something you arrive at naturally when evaluating what you can do to mitigate the opponents pass rush. I'm shocked that he didn't abandon his disdain for it last year and I don't know if it's because he publicly said he doesn't like to use it or if it's just a product of not easily letting go of his philosophies. Either way, he's late to the game...but better late than never.

This has to be a permanent addition to the offense. I think we'll see it mixed in with some no huddle and more draws or screens.

BIG FAN
09-11-2008, 01:13 AM

I hope it stays and becomes a permanent part of the offense. I believe it was put in for the purpose of giving defenses something else to think about. The Steelers were known for their vertical passing game and running the football. Now they will have to deal with the quick passing game as well. It makes the Steelers more difficult to defend.

Isn't it cool having a quarterback that can make all the throws and reads regardless of the style of offense that is being used? This will come in handy during the two minute offense as well late in a game.

Just my 2 cents...

Pappy

Extremly cool. 8)

frankthetank1
09-11-2008, 07:48 AM
im with pappy. its a new facet in the offense. i have no idea why arians changed his mind, but i love it. i have no idea why they didnt do it last season, but better late then never.