PDA

View Full Version : Browns S Sean Jones OUT

phillyesq
09-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Per PFT:

BROWNS’ SEAN JONES OUT SEVERAL WEEKS
Posted by Michael David Smith on September 10, 2008, 11:56 a.m.

The Cleveland Browns’ secondary has taken a big hit.

Safety Sean Jones will have arthroscopic surgery on his right knee and miss several weeks, Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer is reporting. Coach Romeo Crennel said Jones will not be placed on injured reserve, and the team does think he’ll be back this year.

Jones, a 2004 second-round draft pick, has started every game since the beginning of the 2006 season. His absence will be especially difficult for the Browns to deal with if their other starting safety, Brodney Pool, can’t return this week from the concussion that kept him out Week 1.

Mike Adams and Nick Sorensen would be the starting safeties if both Jones and Pool are out. Crennel said the Browns might add a safety to the roster.

Unfortunate for Jones and the Browns, but it looks like Ward, Holmes and Miller could be in for big days.

phillyesq
09-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Sorry for the double post. :oops: Benny beat me to it by a minute.

If there is anyway I this can be deleted, merged, etc., that would be great.

papillon
09-10-2008, 12:35 PM
On a side note, Marques Colston is out 4-6 weeks with a thumb injury. A lot of marquee players getting injured and being out for extended periods of time in week 1.

Pappy

Jom112
09-10-2008, 12:46 PM
Huge blow for the Browns. Sean Jones is probably one of the few players on the browns thats actually under-rated.

If I were you guys, I would give Limas Sweed some playing time on Sunday so he can build his confidence up...

Oviedo
09-10-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm sure Santonio and Hines are licking their chops looking at the Browns' secondary.

Iron Shiek
09-10-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm sure Santonio and Hines are licking their chops looking at the Browns' secondary.

Like I said before, Arians better have a gameplan to attack their even further depleted secondary. I will take it even a step further. The Steelers better try to just go all New England Cheaters on the Stains and put up a 55 while still throwing bombs in the fourth quarter. I don't normally like rubbing it in if we get the opportunity, but for this game I say let it fly if its there. Make a statement to the AFC. Or just the W is fine too... :) .

RuthlessBurgher
09-10-2008, 01:15 PM
It may be good news for the WR's in terms of their stats on Sunday night, but it could be bad news if Nick Sorensen starts instead, since he was the one that Pacman claimed was grabbing at his junk under the pile. There's another good reason why you should not be posting pictures of yourself in the shower, Santonio (be glad Brady Quinn doesn't play defense) :shock: :lol:

Oviedo
09-10-2008, 01:25 PM
I said this on the other Sean Jones post, but expect the Browns to send 6-7 on every play at Ben to try to protect their secondary. Ben is going to get hit a lot.

I hope they game plan roll outs and quick hit slants to neutralize this. Throw in lots of screens and draws.

Jigawatts
09-10-2008, 01:31 PM
I said this on the other Sean Jones post, but expect the Browns to send 6-7 on every play at Ben to try to protect their secondary. Ben is going to get hit a lot.

I hope they game plan roll outs and quick hit slants to neutralize this. Throw in lots of screens and draws.

:Agree

The only defense they have is to attack.

phillyesq
09-10-2008, 02:50 PM

I feel like the Browns, and especially Romeo, might be getting a bit too much credit here. Bringing pressure seems like a sound strategy, but when has that ever influenced anything the Browns do. :lol:

:brownssuck

Jigawatts
09-10-2008, 03:57 PM

I feel like the Browns, and especially Romeo, might be getting a bit too much credit here. Bringing pressure seems like a sound strategy, but when has that ever influenced anything the Browns do. :lol:

:brownssuck

:lol:

It's almost like the depleted secondary is forcing them to use this crazy
idea to pressure the qb.

Flasteel
09-10-2008, 05:14 PM

Sorry O, but I think the only way they can protect that secondary is by playing soft up front and try to get to Ben with their three down-linemen and only one 'backer. I'd look for those linebackers to be getting back to their coverage assignments awful quickly and even cheating a little to the outside to help the corners with underneath coverage. They'll probably just stay in cover 2 the whole game and keep those safeties back as well.

The ground game will be critical here in getting the linebackers and safeties to play honest and for them to bite on the play fake.

They won't match up regardless of what they do.

AkronSteel
09-10-2008, 10:40 PM
In all honesty, I just don't think the Browns can match up. If they blitz they will be exposing a porous secondary that has no chance to covering the Steelers Wide Outs man to man. If they play soft as they did against Dallas the Steelers will just run on them and utilize Heath Miller to pick them apart underneath. The only chance the Browns have on Sunday is to outscore the Steelers and with the way the D looked the other day.....I just don't see it!!!!

Steelers 41
Browns 21 (a late touchdown will be included in this)

Jones is the best player they had in that secondary and that really isn't saying much!

Iron Shiek
09-11-2008, 10:25 AM
In all honesty, I just don't think the Browns can match up. If they blitz they will be exposing a porous secondary that has no chance to covering the Steelers Wide Outs man to man. If they play soft as they did against Dallas the Steelers will just run on them and utilize Heath Miller to pick them apart underneath. The only chance the Browns have on Sunday is to outscore the Steelers and with the way the D looked the other day.....I just don't see it!!!!

Steelers 41
Browns 21 (a late touchdown will be included in this)

Jones is the best player they had in that secondary and that really isn't saying much!

:D :D That would be the only way to win! :D :D

Just yankin your chain, I know what you meant.

But honestly, your assessment is spot on, terrible matchup problems for the Stains.