View Full Version : Merriman's Season Over

BigBen2112
09-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Merriman to miss season after undergoing surgery

By Chris Mortensen
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: September 9, 2008, 7:02 PM ET

San Diego Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman's season is over after trying to play the season opener Sunday with two torn knee ligaments.

The Chargers announced Merriman is being placed on injured reserve to undergo total reconstructive knee surgery that will include the repair of his lateral collateral and posterior cruciate ligaments.
"Shawne informed me he did not feel right [on the field] and thought it best to shut it down," said Chargers general manager A.J. Smith. "The road to winning the AFC West just got more difficult, but not impossible. Nothing is impossible. Shawne is a great player and an inspirational leader. He will be missed. We wish him a successful surgery and a speedy recovery."
The knee problem dates back to the end of the 2007 season.
Merriman has tears in both the posterior cruciate and lateral collateral ligaments in his left knee, which he hurt in a game at Tennessee in December. After seeking outside opinions, four doctors told Merriman he needed surgery, but there "just wasn't a time frame on that. My knee still looks pretty good. The decision was left up to me to play. If you give a football player a decision to play, you know, I'm going to play."
Before the season started, Merriman decided to play rather than have his damaged left knee repaired.
"To be as simple as possible, I just want to play football," Merriman said previously. "That's what it comes down to. I know what's on the table, I know what's on the line. I put a lot of work in this and I want to play."
He'll likely be looking at a rehab of six to seven months.
With his nonstop energy and spasmodic sack dance, the player known as "Lights Out" has been the face of the Chargers' defense the past three seasons. He has 39 sacks in that span, more than any other NFL player. He's played in three straight Pro Bowls.
Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3578588

Ozey74
09-09-2008, 07:20 PM
He's doing the right thing. It's a no-brainer!

Djfan
09-09-2008, 07:22 PM

Agreed. Maybe it's the only way he can legally take roids!

SteelerNation1
09-09-2008, 07:45 PM

Agreed. Maybe it's the only way he can legally take roids!
:Clap :Clap :Clap

proudpittsburgher
09-09-2008, 08:15 PM
Bull! He's admitting now, what everyone on the Chargers staff was telling him before they started playing games that mattered. Whether he was the problem of not, the fact remains people wanted him to have the surgery, he didn't, and the Chargers are 0-1. Add to that they could have taken up his roster spot with someone from training camp. Selfish roider. For the life of me, I can't see why people support this guy. I can get past the immature celebration and trash talk, hell, i liked Peezy, but he was a steroid user who got busted.

Discipline of Steel
09-09-2008, 08:42 PM
As an athlete myself, I have to say i kind of feel sorry for him. Im the first to condemn poor sportsmanship (and he had plenty of it) but serious injuries are different. They can hit anyone. (Im not talking about neon deions sore toe that was just an excuse way back when) While I knew he wouldnt be playing this season, his refusal to admit it 2 weeks ago is almost sad because I know the only thing the man wanted to do was compete and dominate. Im sure his passion for playing football overwhelmed his good sense when he tried to make a go of it. And when he physically couldnt the realization was a bitter bitter pill. That has to be a very depressed man right now.

AngryAsian
09-10-2008, 12:28 AM
Not to wish anyone ill will, but this news can only be a plus for our hopes to come out of the AFC this year. Injuries are a part of the game and when key players on teams that have hopes to excel deep into the playoffs and finally to the big dance, go down and are counted out for the season, it often impacts that fortunes of other teams trying to climb the same NFL apex. SD's defense is already extremely potent and will be a huge challenge for us come Nov. 16th.... but our defense has some bite as well. I think that Arians and company better game plan for a run heavy attack because quite frankly the San Diego secondary is pretty scary and I think probably in the top 3 in all the NFL. Good luck to Merriman... but brittled ligaments are just a fraction of the impact steroids do the body.

proudpittsburgher
09-10-2008, 06:21 AM
As an athlete myself, I have to say i kind of feel sorry for him. Im the first to condemn poor sportsmanship (and he had plenty of it) but serious injuries are different. They can hit anyone. (Im not talking about neon deions sore toe that was just an excuse way back when) While I knew he wouldnt be playing this season, his refusal to admit it 2 weeks ago is almost sad because I know the only thing the man wanted to do was compete and dominate. Im sure his passion for playing football overwhelmed his good sense when he tried to make a go of it. And when he physically couldnt the realization was a bitter bitter pill. That has to be a very depressed man right now.

I get what you are saying, I really do, but when four, count 'em, four doctors tell you that you should be having surgery, you have to realize you are only going to be hurting the team. It was a selfish act, for whatever reasons he had.

Discipline of Steel
09-10-2008, 07:16 AM
True that with the steroids, he was asking for it. I think with unnaturally enhanced muscle growth, the ligaments lag behind in development. They have to be developed at the same rate as the muscle through repetitive hard work. The force exerted by the stronger muscle is most likely to tear at the weakest point. Steroids are a deal with the devil.

I glad for the Steelers chances but still hate to see anyones competitive desire doused by a serious injury. (except deion)

rpmpit
09-10-2008, 07:23 AM
Players get blasted for not playing through injuries all the time. Here we have Merriman trying to play and he gets blasted for that :roll:

Players like Ronnie Lott (the pinkie) and Jack Youngblood (broken leg) become legendary for playing with injuries. So back off Merriman. What motive could he possibly have besides helping the team, to want to risk his career???

As far as the steroid issue goes - the only difference between Merriman and 99% of the NFL is that he was dumb enough to get caught. Stop kidding yourselves guys, the entire league is geared up.

proudpittsburgher
09-10-2008, 08:27 AM
Players get blasted for not playing through injuries all the time. Here we have Merriman trying to play and he gets blasted for that :roll:

Players like Ronnie Lott (the pinkie) and Jack Youngblood (broken leg) become legendary for playing with injuries. So back off Merriman. What motive could he possibly have besides helping the team, to want to risk his career???

As far as the steroid issue goes - the only difference between Merriman and 99% of the NFL is that he was dumb enough to get caught. Stop kidding yourselves guys, the entire league is geared up.

Sorry, not backing off, and I never blasted a player for not playing hurt. Besides, I think you get a pass when four doctors and your coaching staff recommends you have the surgery. And quit defending a cheater while you are at it. :roll:

BigBen2112
09-10-2008, 08:46 AM

Bud, I bet you aren't even close to accurate with you 99% stat for the rest of the NFL.

I doubt Hines Ward ever has.

rpmpit
09-10-2008, 08:49 AM

Sorry, not backing off, and I never blasted a player for not playing hurt. Besides, I think you get a pass when four doctors and your coaching staff recommends you have the surgery. And quit defending a cheater while you are at it. :roll:

My comments weren't directed at you specifically. I apologize if it appeared so. But just about everyone (including myself btw) is saying that he should have taken the advice of his doctors and had the surgery immediately. I was just saying that the guy tried to "defy the experts" (something that football fans and society in general glorify) and play through the pain. And people are getting on his case for that. It seems to me that it was a no-win situation for him.

And as far as defending a cheater, like I said, they all use. Most are just smarter about what they take and when they cycle. If you honestly believe that Silverback got his arms from just training, eating right and good genetics then I'll respect your opinion. I choose to believe otherwise. And I'm not singling out JH on this. Most players use. Its a part of the game and sports in general.

rpmpit
09-10-2008, 09:02 AM

Bud, I bet you aren't even close to accurate with you 99% stat for the rest of the NFL.

I doubt Hines Ward ever has.

98% maybe :lol:

Steroids aren't just used to build strength. They are also used to rehab from injuries faster. So just because a player doesn't look like Harrison or Merriman, don't believe they've never used.

Believe me guys, I honestly wish I was wrong about this stuff.

proudpittsburgher
09-10-2008, 09:16 AM

My comments weren't directed at you specifically. I apologize if it appeared so. But just about everyone (including myself btw) is saying that he should have taken the advice of his doctors and had the surgery immediately. I was just saying that the guy tried to "defy the experts" (something that football fans and society in general glorify) and play through the pain. And people are getting on his case for that. It seems to me that it was a no-win situation for him.

And as far as defending a cheater, like I said, they all use. Most are just smarter about what they take and when they cycle. If you honestly believe that Silverback got his arms from just training, eating right and good genetics then I'll respect your opinion. I choose to believe otherwise. And I'm not singling out JH on this. Most players use. Its a part of the game and sports in general.

I understand. I guess I still have a bit of pent-up hostility toward the guy who acepted his pro-bowl nomination despite getting busted for steroids.

rpmpit
09-10-2008, 09:39 AM

I understand. I guess I still have a bit of pent-up hostility toward the guy who acepted his pro-bowl nomination despite getting busted for steroids.

Not a big fan of the guy either. And it seems like the NFL should have removed him from consideration for the pro-bowl after his suspension. Goodell is a hypocrite and needs to go.