PDA

View Full Version : If every NFL player was available in a redraft, who'd go #1?

RuthlessBurgher
09-09-2008, 01:33 PM
The "Big Ben is NFL's Brightest Star" article that was posted in another thread got me thinking. If every player in the league was available in a league-wide draft, and you had the first pick to build your organization around, who would you pick? Some of the best players in the league are getting a bit older, so you would likely prefer promising guys in their early to mid 20's over established superstars that are approaching 30 or more. For example, although Tomlinson (29) may be the better all-around RB right now, you would likely take Adrian Peterson (23) before him in a league-wide re-draft, since you may get another couple of years out of LDT, but AD should be good to go for the next decade. Similarly, you would draft Joe Thomas ahead of Walter Jones, Patrick Willis over Ray Lewis, Mario Williams over Dwight Freeney, and Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald over Randy Moss or Terrell Owens, simply because of the age factor if you were building a team from scratch and wanted guys who would be building blocks for your team for years to come. All of the young guys I mentioned above would be 1st round picks in an All-NFL draft in my mind, but where would you go first? Quarterback is the most important position, and Ben has done some amazing things in his first 4 seasons at age 26, and he should still get even better. Brady and Peyton are 31 and 32, respectively, right in their primes as QB (I'm going to just assume that Brady's knee injury 2 days ago never happened, just for the sake of argument). They may play another half dozen years or so more, with their production likely tailing off a bit as they start to hit their late 30's. Ben, on the other hand, should have a dozen or so good years left, with his game actually improving over the next decade since he hasn't even reaching the prime QB years yet. Could Ben be the one guy that you would take to start your franchise? You know that he is mobile enough to elude pressure if you aren't able to build a dominant o-line in front of him, which is not something that you could ever say about Brady or Peyton. He is a winner, a leader, and a remarkably efficient passer. He is certainly the most proven commodity among all the young QB's in the league (above the likes of Romo, Eli, and Carson). Could you even imagine a 53 round draft in which all 32 teams had to fill out their entire roster from scratch with every player available. It would surely be interesting. Let me know what you think.

Iron Shiek
09-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Jay Cutler.

Not just based on last night, check a few of my other posts. I been pimping him for a while. Stud.

RuthlessBurgher
09-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Jay Cutler.

Not just based on last night, check a few of my other posts. I been pimping him for a while. Stud.

This Jay Cutler?

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/xsportsnutrition/muscletech-jaycutler.jpg

You can't possibly mean this dork from Vanderbilt wearing Bubby's old Bronco number, can you?

http://proathletesonly.com/news/wp-content/uploads/jaycutler.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Iron Shiek
09-09-2008, 02:02 PM
He may be a dork. But a heck of a QB. It would be between him and Ben. Cutler is a year younger so it would be negligible. Trying to be impartial....

Shawn
09-09-2008, 02:15 PM
Hands down you pick a QB...and that would be Ben.

stlrz d
09-09-2008, 02:31 PM
I can't say his name because it's Browns week, but he plays OT for them. :oops:

Jom112
09-09-2008, 02:39 PM
I can't say his name because it's Browns week, but he plays OT for them. :oops:

Yeah, that's who I would go with as well...

frankthetank1
09-09-2008, 02:45 PM
i would probably go with mario williams

proudpittsburgher
09-09-2008, 02:50 PM

And no one's laughing at Houston anymore. Bush has made giant strides from last season to this one, but Williams has turned out to be a heck of a player.

frankthetank1
09-09-2008, 02:52 PM

And no one's laughing at Houston anymore. Bush has made giant strides from last season to this one, but Williams has turned out to be a heck of a player.

i was one of those people who laughed at them. it turned out to be the right pick though. smart move on the texans part

phillyesq
09-09-2008, 02:53 PM
As I think about it, Ben probably does make sense in a league wide redraft. He is both young and, obviously, proven. Cutler still has a lot of question marks. He could be great, but the jury is still out on that one.

Before the knee, you could really make a strong argument for Brady. Sure, he's 5 years older than Ben, but he does have quite a track record.

I would think that almost any good, young QB would go early in such a draft. It would be interesting to see who the first non-qb selected would be. I suppose Mario Williams would have a shot. Even though he is old and a WR, I could see Moss having a shot too.

BigBen2112
09-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Me? I take Adrian Peterson. It's been proven, a good running game+good defense wins championships. The Vikes are absolutely 0, NOTHING without Adrian Peterson. He's talented but extremely passionate about the game as well. He plays with fire. He can catch, run, cut, has the speed, will run right through people...and he can actually pass protect as well.

Iron Shiek
09-09-2008, 03:30 PM
As I think about it, Ben probably does make sense in a league wide redraft. He is both young and, obviously, proven. Cutler still has a lot of question marks. He could be great, but the jury is still out on that one.

Before the knee, you could really make a strong argument for Brady. Sure, he's 5 years older than Ben, but he does have quite a track record.

I would think that almost any good, young QB would go early in such a draft. It would be interesting to see who the first non-qb selected would be. I suppose Mario Williams would have a shot. Even though he is old and a WR, I could see Moss having a shot too.

While Moss is quite a talent, I think starting from scratch you build inside out. Obviously QB is the most important position. After that you have to go Offensive line (LT specifically) and then a good rush DE. I think WR talent is all over the place. Moss is head and shoulder above the rest, but you would set yourself back missing out on an elite QB or OL by taking a WR.

(Benny would be happy with this post!)

Iron Shiek
09-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Me? I take Adrian Peterson. It's been proven, a good running game+good defense wins championships. The Vikes are absolutely 0, NOTHING without Adrian Peterson. He's talented but extremely passionate about the game as well. He plays with fire. He can catch, run, cut, has the speed, will run right through people...and he can actually pass protect as well.

Nothing? What do you call Chester Taylor before AP was there. He was not nothing my friend. Effective even.

Jigawatts
09-09-2008, 03:32 PM
A juiced Merriman.

Iron Shiek
09-09-2008, 03:33 PM

Nothing? What do you call Chester Taylor before AP was there. He was not nothing my friend. Effective even.

I'm not diminishing Peterson's talent, but RB's give you 5 years of effective play. Starting a franchise, I would think you go after guys that are supposed to be around for a lot longer than that.