PDA

View Full Version : Vince Young = Head Case

Iron Shiek
09-09-2008, 12:13 PM
This is a shame, he may have depression issues or something who knows. But good thing Ben hasn't went crazy like this (well he did try to stop a car with his face but still):

ProFootballtalk.com:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/09/more-details-on-young-situation/

The "rumor" Florio is talking about is here:

http://www.gotitans.com/goForum/showthread.php?t=39722

costanza2k1
09-09-2008, 12:24 PM
Man this is sad. He needs medical help before he guns down folks or himself.

rpmpit
09-09-2008, 12:25 PM
No need to call the kid nuts or crazy. He obviously needs help and I hope he gets it before he hurts himself or others.

Oviedo
09-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Just heard on Jim Rome that Fisher asks the cops to look for Young and they found an unloaded gun in his car. The guy needs some help and not to worry about football until he screws his head on straight if any of this is true.

Oviedo
09-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Just up on ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3577597

Jigawatts
09-09-2008, 01:17 PM
Sounds like a young Ricky Williams. The guy has a disease and needs some help.

Iron Shiek
09-09-2008, 01:19 PM
No need to call the kid nuts or crazy. He obviously needs help and I hope he gets it before he hurts himself or others.

Poor choice of words. I was meaning that I am glad we seem to have a qb that wouldn't go on a bender in the wee hours like Young did. I sincerely hope he does get help and comes out of it okay.

ramblinjim
09-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Yeah, this is one of those times, when Football is just your job. I hope he gets the help he needs. Luckily for him, he can afford to get the best.

rpmpit
09-09-2008, 01:27 PM

Poor choice of words. I was meaning that I am glad we seem to have a qb that wouldn't go on a bender in the wee hours like Young did. I sincerely hope he does get help and comes out of it okay.

I didn't mean you, IS. I was referring to the gotitans link you provided.

Shawn
09-09-2008, 01:35 PM
If the rumor is true...and considering some previous "events"...I wouldn't be surprised if he is an undiagnosed Bipolar.

BigBen2112
09-09-2008, 03:32 PM
If the rumor is true...and considering some previous "events"...I wouldn't be surprised if he is an undiagnosed Bipolar.

Give him some Diazepam. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is that a banned substance?

Or maybe it's more than an anxiety disorder. Bipolar you think?

Shawn
09-09-2008, 03:38 PM

Give him some Diazepam. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is that a banned substance?

Or maybe it's more than an anxiety disorder. Bipolar you think?

Anxiety rarely causes an individual to lash out like that. Depression can but usually the depression is associated with bipolar disorder. When I hear stuff like this...the first thing that comes to mind is substance abuse and/or bipolar disorder. That will account for 90% of happenings like this.

As for diazepam...I don't believe it's banned if given for a legit psychological diagnosis. I'm fairly sure Logan was on benzos while playing for the Steelers. I know he had problems with anxiety attacks.

NKySteeler
09-09-2008, 03:41 PM
As for diazepam...I don't believe it's banned if given for a legit psychological diagnosis.

...Isn't that just the generic form of Valium?...

It is truly sad to see. I actually didn't recall him having any issues in the past. If so, I wonder if the Titans organization knew about them?

AkronSteel
09-09-2008, 03:43 PM
This whole situation reminds me of Alonzo Spellman!!! Kinda scary!! They need to find out what is wrong with this kid and quick, or he will hurt himself or someone else. The guy has been acting strange for a while now. Remember back in the summer he said that he really didn't wanna play football anymore and wanted to retire. Then on Sunday, Fisher had to coax him back out on the field. Something about this is truly disturbing!!! The kid needs to forget about football and all the pressures that go with it and get his mind right.

Shawn
09-09-2008, 03:44 PM
As for diazepam...I don't believe it's banned if given for a legit psychological diagnosis.

...Isn't that just the generic form of Valium?...

It is truly sad to see. I actually didn't recall him having any issues in the past. If so, I wonder if the Titans organization knew about them?

Yep.

Shawn
09-09-2008, 03:48 PM
PS: Many genetic causes of psychological issues manifest in the early 20's. The Titans must get him diagnosed...and quick. With meds...he could live a fairly normal life.

The problem...many mood stabilizers are seizure meds. They really slow reflexes and can drain an individual. If he is bipolar...meds could end his career. If you don't medicate he is an accident waiting to happen. This is a bad situation...if not handled properly...this will end poorly.

ikestops85
09-09-2008, 05:54 PM
I hope he gets the help he needs and soon. Makes you wonder what goes on at UT and what they do to their players. (VY and Ricky Williams)

RuthlessBurgher
09-09-2008, 06:11 PM
This whole situation reminds me of Alonzo Spellman!!! Kinda scary!! They need to find out what is wrong with this kid and quick, or he will hurt himself or someone else. The guy has been acting strange for a while now. Remember back in the summer he said that he really didn't wanna play football anymore and wanted to retire. Then on Sunday, Fisher had to coax him back out on the field. Something about this is truly disturbing!!! The kid needs to forget about football and all the pressures that go with it and get his mind right.

Or Barrett Robbins of the Raiders leaving for Mexico prior to their Super Bowl against the Bucs a few years ago.

Les 74
09-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Sorry,but I found this post just too damn funny.

"if Vince shoots as bad as he throws, no one will be in danger."

:lol: :lol:

Iron Shiek
09-10-2008, 08:46 AM
Here's a followup story. Vince Young's mom spoke out as well. He is in a very bad spot. What a shame. It sounds like he is headed for early retirement possibly:

A psychologist was among those who met with Young at his Brentwood home on Monday, and what she concluded and told team officials led to a bizarre, 24-hour period that ended just after midnight Monday. That's when Fisher met with Young and police at Baptist Sports Park.

Felicia Young said her son has grown weary of all the negativity he faces as an NFL star. On Monday, he indicated to those around him he didn't want to play football any more.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080910/SPORTS01/809100426/1002

BigBen2112
09-10-2008, 08:50 AM
Here's a followup story. Vince Young's mom spoke out as well. He is in a very bad spot. What a shame. It sounds like he is headed for early retirement possibly:

A psychologist was among those who met with Young at his Brentwood home on Monday, and what she concluded and told team officials led to a bizarre, 24-hour period that ended just after midnight Monday. That's when Fisher met with Young and police at Baptist Sports Park.

Felicia Young said her son has grown weary of all the negativity he faces as an NFL star. On Monday, he indicated to those around him he didn't want to play football any more.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080910/SPORTS01/809100426/1002

Very sad. Psychological disorders can be very serious and very scary. If he doesn't want to play any more then I think that is what is best for himself, which is more important than anything related to football.

rpmpit
09-10-2008, 08:55 AM

That is really sad. You know, even though Kordell never had a public incident like this (at least none that I'm aware of), you have to believe that he had some similar emotional issues. The guy had out-of-this-world talent, but just couldn't handle the pressure and the criticism.

Whether or not he stays in football, I hope that VY can find peace.

RuthlessBurgher
09-10-2008, 12:14 PM
The Titans signed Chris Simms. You wonder if it just as a backup to Kerry Collins while VY takes about a month off to rest his knee, or if they see Simms as a possible long term solution if VY truly doesn't have the desire to continue playing at this level.

BigBen2112
09-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Chris Simms is no long-term answer.

BigBen2112
09-10-2008, 12:51 PM
Ok, not to be mean to Vince b/c I feel bad for him and send out my prayers to his family, but this ISNT college...you aren't a Hero and wont be praised ALL the time. This is the NFL...this is a JOB...you got lucky and got gifted with athletic ability...and now get to make MILLIONS of dollars to PLAY A SPORT!

This is ridiculous:

Young needs space, 'love and support,' mother says

ESPN.com news services
Updated: September 10, 2008, 12:19 PM ET

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The mother of Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young said he's "hurting inside and out" and indicated he might not want to play football any longer.

Felicia Young said in Wednesday editions of The Tennessean that her son is tired of all of the negativity he's faced after being booed during a 17-10 win Sunday over Jacksonville.

"What would you think, if you were tired of being ridiculed and persecuted and talked about and not being treated very well, what would you do? What kind of decision would you make?" Felicia Young said. "He may not want to deal with it [all], but you have to get to that point before you make that decision first.

"But we're not talking about football right now. We're talking about what would make him happy, and that is the most important thing."

Young was the subject of a four-hour search Monday night by Nashville police, who were called by Titans coach Jeff Fisher after Young's family members expressed concern about Young's "emotional well-being," according to police.

Vince Young's agent, Major Adams, told ESPN reporter George Smith that he didn't know why the story has taken on a life of its own.

Adams said he called Young's friend's house after hearing that Young was missing. Adams said the quarterback was upbeat and watching the Monday night games, and confirmed that Young was without his cell phone.

As for reports about depression or Young's fragile emotional state, Adams told Smith they're "unfounded."

"It's the first time I've heard that. I know he's not battling depression," Adams said. "He's fine mentally. I think it's a misunderstanding and misinformation."

This isn't the first time that Young has talked of wanting to quit football. He told a reporter last spring that he thought of retiring after his rookie season, a statement he said later was taken out of context.

The No. 3 pick overall in the 2006 draft, Young won the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year and followed up by helping the Titans reach the playoffs last season with a 10-6 record. But he has been criticized for his passing struggles after having only nine touchdowns and 17 interceptions in 2007.

His mental state has been in question since being booed Sunday after his second interception during the Jacksonville game. He didn't want to go back into the game until prodded by coach Jeff Fisher.

He sprained his left medial collateral ligament four plays later and could be out for up to four weeks. Fisher said Tuesday night he is only ruling Young out for Sunday's game at Cincinnati.

But Young didn't go to the team's offices Monday and postponed his MRI exam until Tuesday. He met with a psychologist at his home Monday, along with Fisher and another team official.

Four hours of uncertainty followed Monday night when Young left his home without his phone, prompting someone at his home to call Fisher. Fisher, in turn, called police to help find the quarterback.

When he was finally found, Young agreed to meet with Fisher and police at the team's training facility, after which Young drove himself home.

Felicia Young said they are going to give her son some space.

"It is hard, all he is going through right now. He's hurting inside and out," she told The Tennessean.

"But he will be fine if people are prayerful and help my baby boy out. He is a young man. He just needs a lot of love and support."

Information from ESPN reporter George Smith and The Associated Press was used in this report.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3579504

Ok. I know it's a MOTHER and all, but Im sorry but he's PRIVILEGED and he's upset that he got booed? Then he shouldn't be in the NFL. It happens to everyone, or at least most players, at one time or another. Fans pay a good deal of money to go watch a millionaire run around the field making more than basically the whole stadium full of fan's salaries combined. And you dont ever expect them to boo?

I get this is probably medical, and going into that profession I DO have compassion for him and I hope he gets the medical help that he needs to be able to control the emotional responses brought on neurologically, but it is not even worth delaying the decision whether you want to play again or not IF you only will play if you never get booed. That is just ridiculous. Again, I hope he gets the medical attention he needs. Go to Vanderbilt and talk to a doctor at the top of his field and figure this out...whatever you need, but dont blame things on the fans booing you.

Shawn
09-10-2008, 04:26 PM
Lets medicate his dysfunction and then see how he handles the pressure.

BigBen2112
09-10-2008, 05:57 PM

To simply medicate without addressing the problem as a psychological order as well as a medical problem is not the smartest idea in the world.

I think, although your prospective will be different, that some if not many psychological disorders can manifest themselves in physical ways. But to simply medicate those disorders without at least addressing the underlying causes only "deadens" neural activity instead of addressing a problem that still exists.

Maybe I am wrong or not speaking clearly, but that's what I personally think.

Iron Shiek
09-10-2008, 09:59 PM
His agent came out and said he is not in a state of depression and its nothing medical in nature. I'm sure they have to say that so everyone will back off, but it really does smell like it. I hope he ends up coming out of this situation in better shape then when he went in.

Just break down the situation. There are several sources stating he has iterated the fact that he doesnt want to play football. I'm sure the coach has his well being in mind, but he goes and talks him out of it recently most likely. His agent comes out with this statement. I really hope I am looking too much into this, but these people stand to lose alot of money with him quitting. I hope he isn't being taken advantage of...

Shawn
09-10-2008, 10:06 PM

To simply medicate without addressing the problem as a psychological order as well as a medical problem is not the smartest idea in the world.

I think, although your prospective will be different, that some if not many psychological disorders can manifest themselves in physical ways. But to simply medicate those disorders without at least addressing the underlying causes only "deadens" neural activity instead of addressing a problem that still exists.

Huh? Who said you don't address the underlying problems? Certainly not me. That is a given...to merely throw a med at a problem is poor medicine. But, I do believe he has a serious underlying genetic psychological disorder...and if that is the case the meds will be a huge help. But addressing both is the reason we have psychiatrists and psychologists. He needs both. I have read people saying he needs to man up. It makes me realize that some people just don't get it. The stress is certainly playing a roll but it's the trigger to something much bigger. This is not a normal stress reaction by someone who has played under pressure his whole life.

BigBen2112
09-10-2008, 10:20 PM

Huh? Who said you don't address the underlying problems? Certainly not me. That is a given...to merely throw a med at a problem is poor medicine. But, I do believe he has a serious underlying genetic psychological disorder...and if that is the case the meds will be a huge help. But addressing both is the reason we have psychiatrists and psychologists. He needs both. I have read people saying he needs to man up. It makes me realize that some people just don't get it. The stress is certainly playing a roll but it's the trigger to something much bigger. This is not a normal stress reaction by someone who has played under pressure his whole life.

Sorry Shawn. I think I misunderstood your original post to which I replied. I thought you were saying that we should give him medication and then see what happens. I thought you were advocating for a medicate only position.

That is my bad.

And I never said he needed to man up. I said that his mother certainly doesn't need to be yapping for him...and that criticism is a fact of the iconic status he has so if he doesnt want that then it is better for him to get out and get better.

But anyways, sorry for the confusion.

AkronSteel
09-10-2008, 10:47 PM

That is really sad. You know, even though Kordell never had a public incident like this (at least none that I'm aware of), you have to believe that he had some similar emotional issues. The guy had out-of-this-world talent, but just couldn't handle the pressure and the criticism.

Whether or not he stays in football, I hope that VY can find peace.

Sorry man, maybe I'm wrong but I don't think Kordell had psychological problems, I think he was just a mental midget. The guy couldn't handle the heat in the kitchen when it got hot. I don't think that this situation compares to Kordell at all. Kordell just didn't have a set!

Shawn
09-10-2008, 10:53 PM

Sorry Shawn. I think I misunderstood your original post to which I replied. I thought you were saying that we should give him medication and then see what happens. I thought you were advocating for a medicate only position.

That is my bad.

And I never said he needed to man up. I said that his mother certainly doesn't need to be yapping for him...and that criticism is a fact of the iconic status he has so if he doesnt want that then it is better for him to get out and get better.

But anyways, sorry for the confusion.

No Frank said it...and I don't mention it to call him out. Just to clarify. This is a very common thought amongst most people. The brain can have illness just like the heart or liver but it is perceived as weak, they need mind over matter, man up etc. This might apply for Kordell...I agree that he was just a "mental midget"...weak minded. But I think its alot more with Vince