PDA

View Full Version : Kendall Langford and other Draftees

BigBen2112
09-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Good to see him have a big day in his first NFL game and first NFL start for Miami. I was REALLY hoping that we'd have a chance at this kid, but that didn't work out. He definitely produced though for Miami day 1 with 3 tackles and 1 sack. Not bad really.

How about some of the rest of the draftees?
Matt Ryan won and had a lot of help

Vernon Gholston did nothing for the Jets

Glenn Dorsey got the start for the Chiefs and got 2 tackles

Sedrick Ellis got the start for the Saints and had 2 tackles

Derrick Harvey intercepted a pass for the Jags

Keith Rivers had a huge day for the lowly bungles: 10 tackles

Jerod Mayo had 6 tackles for the * and now needs to play QB.

Brandon Albert got the start for the Chiefs

Felix Jones ran all over the Turdstains with 9 carries, 62 yards, 1 TD

Chris Johnson ran for 93 yards and looked damn impressive with 15 rushes

Kenny Phillips had 4 tackles for the G-Men

OTHER NOTABLES:
Red Bryant had 4 tackles in his debut with the Seachickens.

Eddie Royal went OFF against Oakland: 9 Rec 146 Yards and 1 TD

Matt Forte had a good day with 23 rushes 123 yards and 1 TD

DeSean Jackson went for 6 catches, 106 yards

Jason Jones had 2 tackles and 0.5 sacks

Steve Justice got some playing time for Indy at Center

Kirk Barton got into the game for the Bears

Ok that's all I have.

Still wish we would have been able to get a guy like Barton/Justice and Red Bryant/Langford, but oh well.

Guess we'll have to see how these guys continue to play.

phillyesq
09-09-2008, 09:30 AM
Langford would have been great, but with Sweed falling, I think that the Steelers made the right choice. Of course, time will tell, but I was pretty happy about the Sweed pick.

If he would have made it to the Steelers in the third, I think that Langford would have been a great choice. Unfortunately, the board didn't fall that way.

steelblood
09-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Marcus Harrison looked good too. I saw him get some nice penetration on a few plays. He manhandled the tackle he was going against. They had him playing DE in a 4-3!

Sam Baker was pretty solid.

BigBen2112
09-09-2008, 10:35 AM
It is becoming abundantly clear to me that there are some areas that we MUST address and must address early on and often in the draft. These positions are:
OL/DL/CB/S

People will say we have Polamalu and Clark, and that is fine, but it is clear we dont have much behind them on the depth chart.

The OL? Even if we sign Smith, 30; and Kemoeatu we still have the whole right side of our OL and up the middle that still need addressed. Furthermore, the lack of depth is really disturbing. It is THAT FACT alone, the lack of depth, that forced us to go out and give 7 million to a backup who might not even consistently suit up for us. We need 2 OT and 1 OG at the least, and that is IF Stapleton is the future at C.

The DL played well this week, but it was against a less than stellar OL of Houston. We have Smith and Hampton who aren't young and we desperately need a RDE. Not to mention depth. I think we realistically need 1 DT and 2 DE somewhere in this draft if we are going to be successful, and I DONT mean in the 6/7th rounds alone.

I really am starting to think that, looking at this year's draft class as it is right now--still early though--our order of draft should probably be:

1. OT
2. DE/DT
3. DE/DT
3. OG/OT
4. S
5. OG/OT
6. CB
7. DE/DT

And that is with only 1 comp pick in there.

I would love a draft of:
1. Duke Robinson--convert to OT like Albert was converted this year
2. Tyson Jackson DE
3. Vince Walker DT
3. Kraig Urbik OG
4. David Bruton FS
5. Paul Fanaika OL
6. Cary Harris CB
7. Mitch King DE

Anyways, just looking forward...I think the above is the kinda think we're going to NEED without a doubt.

RuthlessBurgher
09-09-2008, 10:39 AM
It is becoming abundantly clear to me that there are some areas that we MUST address and must address early on and often in the draft. These positions are:
OL/DL/CB/S

People will say we have Polamalu and Clark, and that is fine, but it is clear we dont have much behind them on the depth chart.

The OL? Even if we sign Smith, 30; and Kemoeatu we still have the whole right side of our OL and up the middle that still need addressed. Furthermore, the lack of depth is really disturbing. It is THAT FACT alone, the lack of depth, that forced us to go out and give 7 million to a backup who might not even consistently suit up for us. We need 2 OT and 1 OG at the least, and that is IF Stapleton is the future at C.

The DL played well this week, but it was against a less than stellar OL of Houston. We have Smith and Hampton who aren't young and we desperately need a RDE. Not to mention depth. I think we realistically need 1 DT and 2 DE somewhere in this draft if we are going to be successful, and I DONT mean in the 6/7th rounds alone.

I really am starting to think that, looking at this year's draft class as it is right now--still early though--our order of draft should probably be:

1. OT
2. DE/DT
3. DE/DT
3. OG/OT
4. S
5. OG/OT
6. CB
7. DE/DT

I would love a draft of:
2. Tyson Jackson DE
3. Vince Walker DT
3. Kraig Urbik OG
4. David Bruton FS
5. Paul Fanaika OL
6. Cary Harris CB
7. Mitch King DE

Anyways, just looking forward...I think the above is the kinda think we're going to NEED without a doubt.

That would be great, but I would think that Tyson Jackson would be gone in the top half of the first round, never mind falling to the second. It's absurdly early to start thinks about things such as draft position, but I doubt we'll have a shot at him.

BigBen2112
09-09-2008, 10:47 AM
OL/DL/CB/S

1. OT
2. DE/DT
3. DE/DT
3. OG/OT
4. S
5. OG/OT
6. CB
7. DE/DT

I would love a draft of:
2. Tyson Jackson DE
3. Vince Walker DT
3. Kraig Urbik OG
4. David Bruton FS
5. Paul Fanaika OL
6. Cary Harris CB
7. Mitch King DE

That would be great, but I would think that Tyson Jackson would be gone in the top half of the first round, never mind falling to the second. It's absurdly early to start thinks about things such as draft position, but I doubt we'll have a shot at him.

That's ok b/c I have backup plans in case he is taken earlier, but he is projected in the 2-3 right now b/c of drop off in production.

For example take Fili Moala in the 2nd and Pannel Egboh in the 3rd.

ikestops85
09-09-2008, 03:37 PM
The college season has just started. There will be guys flying up the list like a kite and others dropping like a stone. I think it's way too early to put together a draft list.

Shawn
09-09-2008, 03:42 PM
I still don't get why people think we desperately need a DB. Maybe in round 3-7 but I'm sold on McFadden and Ike.

phillyesq
09-09-2008, 04:03 PM
I still don't get why people think we desperately need a DB. Maybe in round 3-7 but I'm sold on McFadden and Ike.

I'm sold on Ike, but I'm not sure whether McFadden will stick around. If I'm not mistaken, he retained Rosenhaus, which means that he's likely going to be looking for a big contract.

RuthlessBurgher
09-09-2008, 04:03 PM

Provided that we re-sign McFadden, of course. His contract is up after this season.

buckeyehoppy
09-09-2008, 06:09 PM
I'm sold on Ike, but I'm not sure whether McFadden will stick around. If I'm not mistaken, he retained Rosenhaus, which means that he's likely going to be looking for a big contract.

He retained Drew Rosenhaus? Why. Does he think he is really that good?

Let's get real. To paraphrase the comedian Ron White "I like Bryant McFadden. I don't love 'im, I like 'im."

I get the impression, in FA season, that most of the teams will feel as I do. He'd better have a monstrously good year to warrant the services of Mr. Rosenhaus.

BigBen2112
09-09-2008, 06:54 PM

I said we need a S and put a CB late into the draft.

Flasteel
09-09-2008, 07:02 PM

Don't forget Gay. We also have the potential option of sliding Townsend over at safety if something happened to Clark.

I don't see DB as a need area at all. Stack the lines.

BigBen2112
09-09-2008, 07:06 PM

Don't forget Gay. We also have the potential option of sliding Townsend over at safety if something happened to Clark.

Not a need? We're ONE injury to our safeties away from having Anthony Smith back in there...YIKES!

RuthlessBurgher
09-09-2008, 07:08 PM

Not a need? We're ONE injury to our safeties away from having Anthony Smith back in there...YIKES!

No, we are one injury to our safeties away from Tyrone Carter starting and Anthony Smith dressing again.

I do agree that a team should draft at least one DB every year, but next year, that should be a day two pick, since the premium picks should be used in the trenches in '09.

BigBen2112
09-09-2008, 07:12 PM

No, we are one injury to our safeties away from Tyrone Carter starting and Anthony Smith dressing again.

I do agree that a team should draft at least one DB every year, but next year, that should be a day two pick, since the premium picks should be used in the trenches in '09.

Dude...if you guys read my post about what I think we need when I put DB in like round 4/5 which is not even the 1st round on the 2nd day.

1/2/3/3 need to be spent on productive OL/DL

I hope I dont see another LB this year unless a complete stud falls like Mendenhall fell this year, but even then I might cry if we took another LB.

I think we should get one 3rd round comp pick and one 7th round comp pick for Faneca and Haggans respectively.

buckeyehoppy
09-09-2008, 08:09 PM
I'm going to call attention to my draft projections that I speculated on in April just before the draft on "the other board".

I liked Kendall Langford quite a bit. Granted, he wasn't on my draft list. But that doesn't mean anything, so I am not surprised he is succeeding with the 'Phins. Had he been selected by the Steelers, he more than probably would have eliminated the need to select (read: reach for) Bruce Davis in the third. I guarantee that I would prefer to have Langford over Davis. Then again, I'd prefer to have anybody over Davis considering where the Steelers selected him.

To read my mock draft from last year, go to: http://discuss.pittsburghlive.com/viewt ... highlight= (http://discuss.pittsburghlive.com/viewtopic.php?t=130175&highlight=)

Round 1, Selection 23
Kentwan Balmer-DT-North Carolina

Summary: Backup DE for the 69ers. No tackles this week, but he did get a chance to run back a kick. He gained 6 yards. He looks like he is being groomed to take over for McDonald or Smith. He'd look a whole lot better than Kirschke or Eason (even though Eason had a very good game Sunday) and might have pushed Keisel to start. He'd at least give Steeler Universe a few less fits over the depth of the line.

Round 2, Selection 53
Sam Baker-OT-Southern Cal

Summary: He was already gone by the time the Steelers selected in the first, so this is largely beating a dead horse. However, he is getting a chance to sink or swim as the starting LT for the Falcons. With the Steelers, he would surely have gotten a chance to start at RT while being groomed for the LT spot. Drafting him would not have negated the need to draft another T in the 2009 draft, but the urgency would have been considerably lessened. Not to mention, drafting him might have enabled the Steelers to avoid the whole Max Sucks fiasco.

Round 3, Selection 88
Brian Johnston-DE-Gardner-Webb

Summary: He wasn't selected until the 7th Round, but Kansas City must have seen something in him, right? Well, he is backing up Tamba Hali right now. Not bad value for a seventh rounder. And because he was drafted after the Steelers draft ended, he was passed over in every round. He didn't have any tackles against the Pats*. But, to be fair, wouldn't you rather have Brian Johnston at this point than Bruce Davis? I was screaming for the Steelers to draft this guy from the third round on. Thankfully, Kansas City validated my screaming.

Round 4, Selection 123
Jack Williams-CB-Kent State

Summary: He had no tackles in the rout of the D-Cell Lobbers-by-the-Bay. But he is the understudy for Champ Bailey and adding him would have surely sent a message to Bryant McFadden that the Steelers were less than thrilled that he hadn't cracked the starting lineup as yet. He made the opening day roster for Denver and probably would have done so as well in Pittsburgh. He definitely would have taken the heat off of the McFadden situation.

Round 5, Selection 156
Ernie Wheelwright-WR-Minnesota

Summary: He is on the Ratfarts PS and was an UDFA. The selection of Sweed after he dropped in the Steelers laps negated the need for this selection. But the fact that he was a UDFA means he was on the open market after the draft. Would he have had an impact against Reid and Baker? Couldn't tell ya. He probably would have negated the need to sign Jeremy Bloom (he's a better skier anyway). On the other hand, who would you rather have: Ernie Wheelwright or Dennis Dixon? Whether the Steelers would have used him the way they did as the future understudy to Big Ben or converted him to WR, I suspect that I am sure how all of you feel because I feel the same way.

Round 6, Selection 188
Cory Boyd-RB-South Carolina

Summary: Ended up on the Buccaneers IR for 2008, so he is a grade incomplete. Mendy's selection negated his need. Humpal's selection has rendered the difference a wash. Boyd might have usurped the roster spot now occupied by Gary Russell, had he stayed healthy.

Undrafted Free Agents (Current Status) Active roster players in bold

BenJarvus Green-Ellis-RB-Mississippi (Pats* PS)
Corey Clark-OT-Texas A&M (Chargers BU RT)
Mike Gibson-G-California (Beagles IR)
Cameron Colvin-WR-Oregon (FA)
Red Keith-ILB-Central Michigan (FA)
Larry Grant-OLB-Ohio State (69ers PS)
D.J. Parker-FS-Virginia Tech (FA)
Jeremy Geathers-DE-UNLV (FA)

Summary: Arguably, Clark and Gibson would have been worth a look. Clark might not have made the Steelers active roster (judging who they have there already, he probably wouldn't have), but he'd have a helluva lot more upside than Parquet and would be working toward getting himself into the T rotation. Green-Ellis might have been lost in the shuffle in the Steelers backfield. But Grant might have been able to do what Donovan Woods has done to this point.

Hindsight is always 20/20. But, on a par, I think my mock draft addressed some need as well as heading off some potential FA issues at the pass.

I think of who the Steelers drafted this year and only two out of seven draftees (Mendy and Dixon) were active for the opener. That's not really good, is it. Also, had the Steelers passed on Mendy, it might have changed the dynamic of the draft but it would not have been a huge tragedy. Granted, it was still smart for the Steelers to get this guy after he fell in their laps. Sometimes, the draft comes to you and you accept it. In the case of Mendy, that's what the Steelers did and it was a good insurance policy for FWP.

buckeyehoppy
09-09-2008, 08:36 PM
One more point.

I think BB2112 is on point with where he's coming from and Flasteel backs him up with his "stack the lines" statement.

I don't know about the rest of you, but getting your team strong in the trenches gives your backfield the extra time it needs to do its job on both sides of the ball.

It is obvious at this point that Colbert doesn't understand this concept and this is why the Steelers have a depth problem on their DL and a looming FA nightmare on the OL.

Perhaps the Steelers will be lucky enough to ride out their situations on their interior lines. Hell, luck has a lot to do with being successful. And the Steelers are working hard and very business-like in their approach. That was evident enough the day I saw them at camp.

With that said, it calls to mind a couple of sayings I have become fond of over the years:

"Diligence is the mother of good luck." - Benjamin Franklin

"The harder I work, the luckier I get" - Gary Player (also attributed to Samuel Goldwyn)

I think both saying apply to this years Steelers on the field. I think it'd better apply to the Steelers FO next off-season.

BigBen2112
09-09-2008, 09:02 PM
One more point.

I think BB2112 is on point with where he's coming from and Flasteel backs him up with his "stack the lines" statement.

I don't know about the rest of you, but getting your team strong in the trenches gives your backfield the extra time it needs to do its job on both sides of the ball.

It is obvious at this point that Colbert doesn't understand this concept and this is why the Steelers have a depth problem on their DL and a looming FA nightmare on the OL.

Perhaps the Steelers will be lucky enough to ride out their situations on their interior lines. Hell, luck has a lot to do with being successful. And the Steelers are working hard and very business-like in their approach. That was evident enough the day I saw them at camp.

With that said, it calls to mind a couple of sayings I have become fond of over the years:

"Diligence is the mother of good luck." - Benjamin Franklin

"The harder I work, the luckier I get" - Gary Player (also attributed to Samuel Goldwyn)

I think both saying apply to this years Steelers on the field. I think it'd better apply to the Steelers FO next off-season.
:Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap