PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Line Gets Things Going

NKySteeler
09-09-2008, 12:30 AM
Offensive line gets things going
By CRAIG WOLFLEY • Steelers Radio Network

After a game like this, the first thing you have to look at is the play of the offensive line. Those guys really set the tone for the game, and then in the second half those guys
kicked it into high gear.

In the first half, it was like they were in four-wheel drive, just grinding away and getting done what needed to be done. In the second half, they really took the fight to the
Texans and started to re-establish the line of scrimmage on the Houston side of the ball. And they did it over and over and over.

That first drive to open the second half, where the Steelers ran the ball seven straight times for 50 yards and then Willie Parker ended it with another run, was brilliant, a thing of beauty.

And just to show that it wasn’t only going to be the offense controlling the line of scrimmage, the defensive front seven was swarming. It was almost as though the Jack
Nicholson character in “A Few Good Men” had ordered a “code red” on Texans quarterback Matt Schaub. He took a beating in there, but to his credit he kept getting up.

It was amazing to me that the Steelers — on both sides of the line of scrimmage — were able to play so consistently from the very start of the game.

As for Mario Williams, the Steelers did a good job of Marveling him. Marvel Smith was doing a great job going mano-a-mano with Smith. On the one sack, Williams was standing up in an off position, and it was a blown assignment when he came free around the end.

The running game was effective, with Willie Parker continuing to play very well at the start of seasons. Willie has opened with a 100-yard game during every season in which he has been the starter, and he continued that with 138 yards against the Texans. The Steelers were effective with cut-backs, the stretch plays, some of those counters
where they pull Chris Kemoeatu, who was doing a great job of getting upfield with speed and making his adjustments without slowing down.

One of the things I had noticed during the preseason was the interior offensive linemen were having trouble staying on the same level, which refers to the way those guys
have to move together in sync. They were much better today, much tighter. Before, they had been having problems staying on the same level, and they weren’t able to protect the gaps between them as well.

Justin Hartwig did a nice job of controlling Travis Johnson, posting him up. The double teams were better than at any point during the preseason. This line isn’t necessarily in
sync yet, but with enough sweat equity it could become a pretty decent unit.

It’s a stepping stone along the way. You never solve the problem until the final part of the problem is solved and that can’t happen until the final game is played.

fordfixer
09-09-2008, 12:37 AM
Nothing on pass protection hmmm..... or did you delete that part :D

NKySteeler
09-09-2008, 12:59 AM

Nope... I would not change any pre-posted article in any way.... But don't tempt me... :wink:

fordfixer
09-09-2008, 01:02 AM

Nope... I would not change any pre-posted article in any way.... But don't tempt me... :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: