PDA

View Full Version : Terrible Towel sighting at RNC last week - sorta

rpmpit
09-08-2008, 12:35 PM
First let me say this isn't a political post.

Ok, so I was watching portions of the Republican National Convention last week and every once in a while I saw some people waving yellow (goldenrod) towels. I did some investigating and found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpYAGpr4J3g

BigBen2112
09-08-2008, 12:41 PM
I dont believe those were terrible towels. They were towels actually given out at the conference.

RussBII
09-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Oooo I don't like that.

I think sports and politics should almost ALWAYS be kept separate. Sports are an escape, and if you add in some form of political speech or opinion things can get out of and pretty quickly.

Besides, that's not a Terrible Towel... so please don't call it that.

-Russ

rpmpit
09-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Oooo I don't like that.

I think sports and politics should almost ALWAYS be kept separate. Sports are an escape, and if you add in some form of political speech or opinion things can get out of and pretty quickly.

-Russ

My subject line says "sorta".

So I guess that you didn't like that the Rooneys endorsed Obama??

http://kdka.com/local/Dan.Rooney.Obama.2.699251.html

rpmpit
09-08-2008, 12:53 PM
I dont believe those were terrible towels. They were towels actually given out at the conference.

I know. That's why my subject line said "sorta". But if you watched the clip, the people waving the towels were Steeler fans.

Come on guys, read the post and watch the vid before commenting. Thanks.

RussBII
09-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Oooo I don't like that.

-Russ

I would've preferred he hadn't said anything publicly, but it's a little different. He said he endorsed Obama, not The Steelers. Using the "Terrible Towel" or any other image like that implies that the organization is supporting the candidate.

That's my take anyway.

RuthlessBurgher
09-08-2008, 01:48 PM
I don't believe any of this. My theory is that one of our master photoshoppers added those Terrible Towels electronically afterward in an effort to win our latest photoshop contest. :lol:

rpmpit
09-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Oooo I don't like that.

-Russ

I would've preferred he hadn't said anything publicly, but it's a little different. He said he endorsed Obama, not The Steelers. Using the "Terrible Towel" or any other image like that implies that the organization is supporting the candidate.

That's my take anyway.

I hear ya, Russ. And I'm not taking any of this personally. I guess I knew that bringing this up would ruffle some feathers. Honestly, I was just happy that I was SORTA right 8) when I told my wife, "Hey, I think they're waving Terrible Towels down there."

My take on it is The Rooneys are The Steelers and the The Steelers are The Rooneys. Not something you can seperate and say its the Rooneys and not the Steelers endorsing Obama. Just my opinion.

RussBII
09-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Oooo I don't like that.

-Russ

That's my take anyway.

I hear ya, Russ. And I'm not taking any of this personally. I guess I knew that bringing this up would ruffle some feathers. Honestly, I was just happy that I was SORTA right 8) when I told my wife, "Hey, I think they're waving Terrible Towels down there."

My take on it is The Rooneys are The Steelers and the The Steelers are The Rooneys. Not something you can seperate and say its the Rooneys and not the Steelers endorsing Obama. Just my opinion.

No worries, I'm not making pipe bombs or anything... ...yet.

But this is exactly why I think they should be kept separate. It can totally cloud/f' up sports. For example, Let's say you are a HUGE Red Sox fan, and you're also a HUGE Obama supporter. Well Schilling stumps for McCain pretty heavily... so now all of a sudden you're torn between something that doesn't matter in the long run (sports), and something that is pretty important (your vote). It's just a recipe for disaster.

I feel the same way about Fantasy Football... so maybe it's just my inability to reconcile these such things... <shrug>.

As far as 08 goes? I'm voting for the Roethlisberger/Holmes ticket.

rpmpit
09-08-2008, 02:24 PM
Oooo I don't like that.

-Russ

That's my take anyway.

No worries, I'm not making pipe bombs or anything... ...yet.

But this is exactly why I think they should be kept separate. It can totally cloud/f' up sports. For example, Let's say you are a HUGE Red Sox fan, and you're also a HUGE Obama supporter. Well Schilling stumps for McCain pretty heavily... so now all of a sudden you're torn between something that doesn't matter in the long run (sports), and something that is pretty important (your vote). It's just a recipe for disaster.

I feel the same way about Fantasy Football... so maybe it's just my inability to reconcile these such things... <shrug>.

As far as 08 goes? I'm voting for the Roethlisberger/Holmes ticket.

Totally agree. I also think its pretty insulting for candidates to assume that I'm dumb enough to vote for someone, just because my favorite sports team, singer or actor endorses them.

RussBII
09-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Totally agree. I also think its pretty insulting for candidates to assume that I'm dumb enough to vote for someone, just because my favorite sports team, singer or actor endorses them.

Evidently some folks are that dumb. Dumb is the wrong word... how about "suggestable." Not to point a finger at NASCAR but the advertising on the cars is a HUGE boon to sales. I can't believe anyone would base their decision of what beer to drink on something as trivial as a logo painted on a car being driven by your "favorite" driver. To me, beer is about taste, and on certain occasions, cost...

RuthlessBurgher
09-08-2008, 02:57 PM

Evidently some folks are that dumb. Dumb is the wrong word... how about "suggestable." Not to point a finger at NASCAR but the advertising on the cars is a HUGE boon to sales. I can't believe anyone would base their decision of what beer to drink on something as trivial as a logo painted on a car being driven by your "favorite" driver. To me, beer is about taste, and on certain occasions, cost...

Don't tell me you use Hunt's ketchup! :nono :P

RussBII
09-08-2008, 03:02 PM

Oooo you got me...

<withdrawals from discussion to go talk to his 17 fat head posters purchased on Big Ben's request>

rpmpit
09-08-2008, 03:06 PM

Oooo you got me...

<withdrawals from discussion to go talk to his 17 fat head posters purchased on Big Ben's request>

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Funniest part of that last exchange was that I created a post on the old board about being happy that my local supermarket started carrying No Salt Heinz Ketchup. Because before that I had to buy the Hunt's No Salt and it was tearing me up inside.

I guess I'm suggestable :oops: :lol:

RussBII
09-08-2008, 03:09 PM

Oooo you got me...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Funniest part of that last exchange was that I created a post on the old board about being happy that my local supermarket started carrying No Salt Heinz Ketchup. Because before that I had to buy the Hunt's No Salt and it was tearing me up inside.

I guess I'm suggestable :oops: :lol:

In my defense:

A) Heinz is the superior product.
B) It's local to Pittsburgh, so I'm helping Pittsburgh.
C) Hunt's doesn't make ketchup... they make catsup... and wtf is that?

Shawn
09-08-2008, 03:35 PM

I know. That's why my subject line said "sorta". But if you watched the clip, the people waving the towels were Steeler fans.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Shawn
09-08-2008, 03:38 PM
I heard that McCain is a Steeler fan...or an occasional Packer fan. That finally swayed me to McCain's side. If he has good taste in football teams I would assume he would make a terrific POTUS. :Steel

RussBII
09-08-2008, 03:48 PM
I heard that McCain is a Steeler fan...or an occasional Packer fan. That finally swayed me to McCain's side. If he has good taste in football teams I would assume he would make a terrific POTUS. :Steel

Here's a link to a clip where Obama actually says "The Steelers, that was my team."

http://ricks-cafe-blog.blogspot.com/2008/04/barack-obama-steelers-fan.html

phillyesq
09-08-2008, 04:08 PM

Here's a link to a clip where Obama actually says "The Steelers, that was my team."

http://ricks-cafe-blog.blogspot.com/2008/04/barack-obama-steelers-fan.html

If you dig hard enough, I'm sure that you can find a clips of both obama and McCain voicing their support for just about any NFL franchise out there...

rpmpit
09-09-2008, 07:02 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You know how the other day I said I don't have to be THAT guy. Well, once in while (for example - the bun throwing incident) you have to be THAT guy 8)