PDA

View Full Version : Troy actually playing DB

Oviedo
09-08-2008, 11:33 AM
I love that Troy was not constantly being placed out of position by LeBeau on wasted blitzes. He stayed back and helped shutdown a very good receiver in Andre Johnson.

I don't think it is an accident that he wasn't wasted on blitzes and he got his first INT in over a year.

Hopefully, LeBeau continues to play it this way.

calmkiller
09-08-2008, 11:54 AM
agree

Djfan
09-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Dead money. He needs to be used for his skills. He was and it paid off.

RussBII
09-08-2008, 12:07 PM
I don't think it is an accident that he wasn't wasted on blitzes and he got his first INT in over a year.

I think the reason LeBeau can and will continue to do this is best summed up in two words:

Lamar Woodley

I feel that in the past LeBeau knew he couldn't get pressure w/ this front 7 so he hoped to confuse and disorient the opposing offense by putting Troy all over the place. We all know that this was a bad idea for several reasons.

Long story short, Lamar and company getting pressure frees up Troy. Having Troy play SS instead of ILB should be the single biggest difference in our secondary....

I forecast very few successful screens against our D if Troy is back there... the man is a missile.

Hogerules33
09-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Troy played much better yesterday then he did in any game last year.

His first tackle was head on and was a good hit, and his INT was impressive. However his missed tackles still concern me. He is still overcommitting in run support, and tends to fly by the RB taking a bad angle (usually reaching out with his arm to trip him up, and missing).

frankthetank1
09-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Troy played much better yesterday then he did in any game last year.

His first tackle was head on and was a good hit, and his INT was impressive. However his missed tackles still concern me. He is still overcommitting in run support, and tends to fly by the RB taking a bad angle (usually reaching out with his arm to trip him up, and missing).

yea i noticed a couple tackles troy missed, but he hasnt been in a game in a long time. im hoping thats all it is. i was so happy not to see him blitz up the middle. i only saw him blitz 1 or maybe two times but it was on the outside where his speed is used. if they get pressure on qb's from woodley and harrison why blitz troy at all? btw i also thought kiesel played very well. ive never been big on him but he did a great job against the run

AngryAsian
09-08-2008, 01:59 PM
With an efficient front seven applying the needed pressure to the qb and stuffing the run, this surely frees up our DBs to cover any and all receivers... something we didn't do well last year. Troy did look great yesterday, and if LeBeau actually uses him as a SS, we should see Troy last through the whole season. This in itself would be stellar.

BigBen2112
09-08-2008, 03:12 PM
I never did understand the stigma around TroyP. He's NOT the greatest safety in the league and never has been in my mind. He's pretty good I guess, but nothing overly special in my mind, but many have him as this type of weird, iconic figure.

I hope he lives up to some of the status that many have given him.

RussBII
09-08-2008, 03:14 PM
I never did understand the stigma around TroyP. He's NOT the greatest safety in the league and never has been in my mind. He's pretty good I guess, but nothing overly special in my mind, but many have him as this type of weird, iconic figure.

If he gets to play SS all year, I think you might change your mind....

Or at least I hope he plays well enough for you to change your mind.

BigBen2112
09-08-2008, 03:20 PM

I would hope so too. But I wish people would at least contemplate what I am saying...but if he plays really well then all the power to him and to the Steelers.

Oviedo
09-08-2008, 03:21 PM

I agree. You have to remember that Troy has been asked to be a quasi-ILB for the last two year because of the lack of pass rush. This takes away his greatest asset--his speed--because he was stuck in the churn of big bodies near the LOS. None of the other top safeties have been asked to do this much.

Keep him back as a safety and we will get 5-7 INTs out of him this year.

RussBII
09-08-2008, 03:22 PM

I would hope so too. But I wish people would at least contemplate what I am saying...but if he plays really well then all the power to him and to the Steelers.

i do think he got by on reputation alone the last two years. His closing speed is ridiculous. I think every Steeler fan hopes to see him return to form. When he's playing up to his potential I think he's the best SS in the game.

Who would you say is better than a healthy Troy?

BigBen2112
09-08-2008, 03:28 PM

i do think he got by on reputation alone the last two years. His closing speed is ridiculous. I think every Steeler fan hopes to see him return to form. When he's playing up to his potential I think he's the best SS in the game.

Since I have not seen a "HEALTHY" Troy for a long while? I dont think I can answer that.

Jom112
09-08-2008, 03:37 PM

A healthy Ed Reed. Polamalu is better on blitzes but Reed is better in coverage, IMHO...

RussBII
09-08-2008, 03:42 PM

A healthy Ed Reed. Polamalu is better on blitzes but Reed is better in coverage, IMHO...

Reed is a FS, Troy is a SS. Not apples and oranges...

I will freely admit that Ed Reed is the best FS in the league.

Jom112
09-08-2008, 03:45 PM

Reed is a FS, Troy is a SS. Not apples and oranges...

I will freely admit that Ed Reed is the best FS in the league.

Yeah my bad, I forgot about that. Strong Safety wise I would agree with Polamalu. There isn't much competition from a SS standpoint. Bob Sanders and Donte Whitner are probably his main competition.

Mike Brown of the Bears is actually a really good SS, but he is hurt more than Polamalu is so he's never really in the discussion...

Hogerules33
09-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Yeah my bad, I forgot about that. Strong Safety wise I would agree with Polamalu. There isn't much competition from a SS standpoint. Bob Sanders and Donte Whitner are probably his main competition.

IMO Bob Sanders, Donte Whitner, and Kerry Rhodes are all better SS's than Troy.

Troy has tremendous closing speed, as mentioned earlier, but i think his playing style is pretty reckless.

I honestly feel one of the main reasons he's so acknowledged throughout the league is his hair style. Take away the costume he wears, and he's just an above average DB.

NKySteeler
09-08-2008, 05:28 PM
I love that Troy was not constantly being placed out of position by LeBeau on wasted blitzes. He stayed back and helped shutdown a very good receiver in Andre Johnson.

O, I think you know that I have not necessarily minded seeing Troy on blitzes. I think we've discussed this before. ... But I definitely agree that his talents were better utilized while remaining back instead of rushing the line. Maybe it was combined with the fact that the season is just starting, and he is fresh. Either way, I think we have enough young studs that can effectively blitz the qb without him having to do so. So yes, I also hope BW LeBeau continues in this direction...

...And I am basically agreeing with you (as a compliment), and stating I was wrong... :wink:

RussBII
09-08-2008, 06:00 PM

Troy has tremendous closing speed, as mentioned earlier, but i think his playing style is pretty reckless.

I honestly feel one of the main reasons he's so acknowledged throughout the league is his hair style. Take away the costume he wears, and he's just an above average DB.

I feel like you can say same for Bob Sanders, especially with those freaky huge guns of his.

Of the three you mentioned I only really agree with Bob Sanders, and even then, I feel like his career will most likely by shortened by the pounding he takes/gives. I'll keep an eye on the other two though, and we'll see.

I'm hoping Troy lives up to the hype this year and becomes the best SS in league by concensus.

Ozey74
09-08-2008, 06:02 PM
It was nice to see Polamalu not running full speed into O-Lineman!!!

Jom112
09-08-2008, 06:51 PM

I was going to include Rhodes in the discussion but he's listed as a FS. Who knows with the Jets, they mismanage positions better than any other team.

Bob Sanders like Polamalu is dominate at times but injured a lot. I would take Troy at this point because of his speed. Whitner is good, I would put him in the top 3. I don't catch enough Bills games to say he's better than Polamalu or Sanders though...

stlrz d
09-08-2008, 07:23 PM

I agree. You have to remember that Troy has been asked to be a quasi-ILB for the last two year because of the lack of pass rush. This takes away his greatest asset--his speed--because he was stuck in the churn of big bodies near the LOS. None of the other top safeties have been asked to do this much.

Keep him back as a safety and we will get 5-7 INTs out of him this year.

This.