PDA

View Full Version : Ariens play calling

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-08-2008, 08:17 AM
Did a great job yesterday.

The true test will be when "Plan A" isn't working. Will he have the team ready to put a successful "Plan B" in place? Seems to me that's always where he (and Cowher, for that matter) had trouble - "half time adjustments".

That might not be a big deal against the Browns this week, but sooner or later it will be (maybe as early as week 3 against the Eagles). I hope Ariens worked on this during the off season!

Oviedo
09-08-2008, 08:31 AM
I have no problem with Arians. He gets it as far as the type of offense we need to evolve to to be successful in today's NFL. You could criticize every OC in the NFL if you nit picked every tactical play by play decision.

All I know is that Ben has become a better QB under Arians so that is enough for me because Ben is our key player on offense.

BTW: Sign Marvel Smith now!!!!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-08-2008, 08:42 AM
I have no problem with Arians. He gets it as far as the type of offense we need to evolve to to be successful in today's NFL. You could criticize every OC in the NFL if you nit picked every tactical play by play decision.

All I know is that Ben has become a better QB under Arians so that is enough for me because Ben is our key player on offense.

Maybe this year, but last year I remember thinking last year after seeing him send FWP up the middle for the 15th and 16th time for no gain - :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

BigBen2112
09-08-2008, 09:13 AM

Marvel huh? He's 30...but if he can stay healthy he can have 2-3 or more good years I guess.

I just dont want to overreact here.

papillon
09-08-2008, 09:23 AM

Marvel huh? He's 30...but if he can stay healthy he can have 2-3 or more good years I guess.

The Steelers are going to have to sign at least one of their veteran linemen, maybe two. Essex, Starks, Smith and Colon (I think) are at the ned or near the end of their contracts. It wouldn't be wise, IMHO, to go into next year w/o at least two of these guys signed. Relying on the draft and FA to put together an offensive line is very risky.

The Steelers are going to lose a couple of those guys and there really isn't anything waiting in the wings to take over.

Oh yea, Arians playcalling looked good, because, the Steelers dominated. If the Steelers had lost I'm sure we would be looking at his playcalling and scratching our heads and saying "WTF" was he thinking?

Winning is a good elixir for all that ails a team.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
09-08-2008, 09:26 AM

The Steelers are going to have to sign at least one of their veteran linemen, maybe two. Essex, Starks, Smith and Colon (I think) are at the ned or near the end of their contracts. It wouldn't be wise, IMHO, to go into next year w/o at least two of these guys signed. Relying on the draft and FA to put together an offensive line is very risky.

The Steelers are going to lose a couple of those guys and there really isn't anything waiting in the wings to take over.

Pappy

Colon will a restricted free agent after the season, so he will be retained for at least one more year just by placing an RFA tender on him. But Smith, Starks, Essex, and Kemoeatu will all be unrestricted free agents. They should re-sign Kemo and one of the UFA tackles. They should also draft a tackle on the first day of the draft.

papillon
09-08-2008, 09:35 AM

Pappy

Colon will a restricted free agent after the season, so he will be retained for at least one more year just by placing an RFA tender on him. But Smith, Starks, Essex, and Kemoeatu will all be unrestricted free agents. They should re-sign Kemo and one of the UFA tackles. They should also draft a tackle on the first day of the draft.

Thanks for the clarification and support for my opinion that we need to sign at least two of the current vets for next season. :P

My preference would be Kemo and smith, then along with Hartwig we have the left side in tact and working together to protect Ben's blind side.

Pappy

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-08-2008, 09:45 AM

Pappy

No problem Ruthless......just slap the transition tag on them :shock:

Slapstick
09-08-2008, 09:51 AM
1) When executed properly, pretty much any play called generally looks good...

2) I could live with placing the transition tag on one of the upcoming UFAs...at least that player would be starting and not playing D-End*

*D-End of D-Bench...

BigBen2112
09-08-2008, 09:56 AM

Pappy

No problem Ruthless......just slap the transition tag on them :shock:

Yeah, I think we should put that tag on Essex next year. :x

Oviedo
09-08-2008, 10:04 AM
1) When executed properly, pretty much any play called generally looks good...

2) I could live with placing the transition tag on one of the upcoming UFAs...at least that player would be starting and not playing D-End*

*D-End of D-Bench...

If they tag anyone it should be Smith. It buys one more year to develop a replacement and you aren't committing long term dollars to an over 30 player which is consistent with the Steeler approach.

Signing Kemo and Colon is essential.