PDA

View Full Version : Is NE out of contention for the playoffs?

Discipline of Steel
09-08-2008, 12:32 AM
If Brady is confirmed to be gone for the season, does this mean the Pats are going the way of recent Super Bowl losers and missing the playoffs?

What is the over/under on Pats losses before Randy Moss throws a tantrum or otherwise hurts his teams chances even further?

To answer my own questions...
I would say the Pats go on a mini-losing streak, struggling back to form in time to make .500 by the end of the season. No playoffs as the Bills win their division and the Jets also vault ahead.

Randy turns into evil-Randy after 3 losses or about week 5.

BIG FAN
09-08-2008, 01:01 AM
They are a good team.
That said, screw the *'s who really cares about them?
Do agree with your assessment though, especially about the Moss part.

Chadman
09-08-2008, 01:20 AM
If Brady is REALLY gone, Belicheck will be on the phone to Daunte in 3....2....1.....

BIG FAN
09-08-2008, 01:22 AM
If Brady is REALLY gone, Belicheck will be on the phone to Daunte in 3....2....1.....

No doubt about that one mate.

rpmpit
09-08-2008, 08:56 AM
I've always said that the Pats (and especially Belichick) were nothing without Brady. I guess we'll have to wait and see. But I suspect they will be lucky to be a .500 team this year.

RuthlessBurgher
09-08-2008, 09:05 AM
Belichick's team without Brady = 1991-1995 Cleveland Browns.

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0129/pg2_a_belichick_200.jpg

rpmpit
09-08-2008, 09:12 AM
Belichick's team without Brady = 1991-1995 Cleveland Browns.

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0129/pg2_a_belichick_200.jpg

EXACTAMUNDO!!!!

https://secure.jsonline.com/CommunityServer/blogs/fishoutofwater/fonz.jpg

blacknblue80s
09-08-2008, 09:32 AM
I've always said that the Pats (and especially Belichick) were nothing without Brady. I guess we'll have to wait and see. But I suspect they will be lucky to be a .500 team this year.

I think it is more like Belichick is nothing without cheating.

rpmpit
09-08-2008, 09:34 AM

I think it is more like Belichick is nothing without cheating.

Good point!

blacknblue80s
09-08-2008, 09:42 AM
Cassel didn't look half bad in *their* system.

RuthlessBurgher
09-08-2008, 09:44 AM

I don't think Cassell has started a game since high school, though.

He backed up Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart at USC.

LasVegasGuy
09-08-2008, 09:54 AM
Patriots will know be lucky to finish 3rd in the AFC east. Jets or Buffalo will take the top spot in the East with the other team grabbing a Wild card. That leaves teams like Tennesse, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Denver who are all clearly better then a "Brady-Less" patriot team fighting for the last one. The Patriots will not make the playoffs this year.

costanza2k1
09-08-2008, 10:36 AM

I don't think Cassell has started a game since high school, though.

He backed up Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart at USC.

If a QB who was a fourth round pick + hasn't started since high school plays good there's only one thing that can explain that more CHEATING.

Oviedo
09-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Because they play in the AFC East they will make the play offs. Any other division and they would have serious problems. They get 4-5 wins on the books before the season ever starts.

rpmpit
09-08-2008, 11:23 AM
Because they play in the AFC East they will make the play offs. Any other division and they would have serious problems. They get 4-5 wins on the books before the season ever starts.

Not sure that's so true anymore. Jets and Dolphins looked decent yesterday. And the Bills embarassed the Seahawks. I think this weeks Jets/Pats game will tell us a lot.

Jom112
09-08-2008, 11:29 AM

Bills are a good team, they should win the division this year.

And the Jets/Patriots game this week is what I like to call a win/win. I hate both teams so either one losing is fine by me...

ikestops85
09-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Just out of curiosity ... how do you draft a college BACKUP QB? :wft I realise he sat behind 2 very good college QBs but there had to have been better prospects out there who were starters in college.

frankthetank1
09-09-2008, 10:54 AM
Just out of curiosity ... how do you draft a college BACKUP QB? :wft I realise he sat behind 2 very good college QBs but there had to have been better prospects out there who were starters in college.

for the most part of brady's career at mich he was a back up.

BigBen2112
09-09-2008, 11:03 AM

Bills are a good team, they should win the division this year.

And the Jets/Patriots game this week is what I like to call a win/win. I hate both teams so either one losing is fine by me...

Surprisingly I kinda like the Bills is that division as well. I think they can stop the run, which the Pats* will have to do more without Brady and I think they have a good/decent running game and the ability to increase the pass attack. I dont think the Bills are a SB contender, but maybe I am wrong, but I think they could beat the Pats*

BigBen2112
09-09-2008, 11:14 AM

Most NCAA backups aren't DRAFTED though, but I dont know was Matt Cassel actually drafted or was he picked up as a FA?

Oviedo
09-09-2008, 11:33 AM

Most NCAA backups aren't DRAFTED though, but I dont know was Matt Cassel actually drafted or was he picked up as a FA?

I think Cassel was a 7th round pick like Brady. He probably got invited to the combine because he went to USC. He also probably got visibility during USC's Pro Days which is well attended by all NFL teams. A 7th round pick is where you take flyers on guys like this.

We'll see if it works out for the Pats. I think the more likely scenario is once opponents get more and more film on Cassel they will attack him and we will see something similar to the Derek Anderson drop off in the second half of last season.

I'm not sure with their secondary and aging LBs will be able to continue to win a lot of close games throughout the season. Fortunately, they are in the AFC East and play the AFC West. Couldn't ask for a more favorable schedule.

ikestops85
09-09-2008, 03:56 PM

Yes, that's true but he did start every game for Michigan in his 4th and 5th years (25 starts) opposed to Cassel who had 0 starts. Brady was a 6th rounder and Cassel was a 7th rounder. I just wonder how you draft a guy who has never started a college game. In fact I'm having a hard time finding where he has even thrown a pass in college. Maybe, just maybe, you sign him as a UFA but I don't see how you waste a pick on him. It's not like he has a rifle arm or the running ability of a Vick. Anyway, I was just curious if anyone knew the reason.