PDA

View Full Version : Give your take....

Djfan
09-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Is our D that great, or is it just that the Texans are that bad?

I'm saying 90% we're that good, but they really are no powerhouse.

NKySteeler
09-07-2008, 06:03 PM
Opening day is opening day.... Yes, our DL and LBs looked stellar, and I absolutely loved it.... I thought our secondary left a bit to be desired, as far as pass defense.... But we shall see. Especially when we play a good team.

buckeyehoppy
09-07-2008, 06:23 PM
The Steelers will need to ramp up on the OL and the secondary against truly elite teams.

Judging from what I've seen of the Clowns, they (perish the thought) are NOT a truly elite team. That collective sigh you are hearing right now is the sound of Clowns fan realizing...
:brownssuck

Even so, the Steelers had better be ready for that game next Sunday night. For the Steelers, it will be a key tie against a divisional opponent. For the Clowns, it will be the Super Bowl. And that's the name of that tune.

BURGH86STEEL
09-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Is our D that great, or is it just that the Texans are that bad?

I'm saying 90% we're that good, but they really are no powerhouse.

I think it was a combination of things. Cannot take a great performance away from the defense.

Iron Shiek
09-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Alot of it was the Texans couldn't capitalize on our mistakes/their fortunate chances where they had a good play. They couldn't follow up and get any momentum. Now alot of it is our D's fault though, which I am happy about. I have no worries about our D for the whole year (obviously barring injury). Our O-line wore a "good game" costume to the Halloween party. They didn't do as good as it looked I think. Ben didn't get alot of time, but the good thing was we didn't need it really. And it was nice seeing the awesome run blocking though. Smith was downfield several times on some of Willies runs following through on the plays.

costanza2k1
09-07-2008, 06:47 PM
I thought our Oline did better than decent. 2TDs passing and 3 running TDs didn't just happen. I also read all over the place that we should all be prepared to see Ben killed as the Texans had a dominant front four. Either they aren't that good or we're bad. On one of the sack the Dragon missed his assignment from what I see. I think we may be ok this year. They got yards on us passing during mop up duty so all in all this was great game. The way Cleveland is passing on Dallas right now our secondary will get testing next week just like our Oline got tested this week. We have a long way to go but we're on the path now!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-07-2008, 06:51 PM
I thought our Oline did better than decent. 2TDs passing and 3 running TDs didn't just happen. I also read all over the place that we should all be prepared to see Ben killed as the Texans had a dominant front four. Either they aren't that good or we're bad. On one of the sack the Dragon missed his assignment from what I see. I think we may be ok this year. They got yards on us passing during mop up duty so all in all this was great game. The way Cleveland is passing on Dallas right now our secondary will get testing next week just like our Oline got tested this week. We have a long way to go but we're on the path now!

:Agree We did what we needed to this week. If we do that every week, we'll be 19-0.

mshifko
09-07-2008, 06:55 PM
nothing that i can complain about...we looked solid....we dominated the game in all phases, what more can you ask for?

kudos to oline, ben looked GREAT, FWP ran hard, hines took advantage of the attention holmes receives and really showed why teams cannot zone in on santonio...

defensively, woodley played outstanding...everyone else played dominant also...

NKySteeler
09-07-2008, 07:00 PM
I thought our Oline did better than decent.

I personally thought our pass blocking was horrible... Ben had very little time. But other than that, they were good. Run blocking looked good, IMO....

costanza2k1
09-07-2008, 07:07 PM

I personally thought our pass blocking was horrible... Ben had very little time. But other than that, they were good. Run blocking looked good, IMO....

That should improve as the players get a feel for each other ( I hope ). Every week will be a test from now on out with our schedule so it's on. It can only get better at this point. (outside of injuries)

SteelerOfDeVille
09-07-2008, 08:14 PM

I'm somwhere in between... Mario Williams was the top pick for a reason... he's a very talented DE... having said that, the rest of the o-line play was solid...

Discipline of Steel
09-07-2008, 08:20 PM
In a league of what have you done for me lately, the OL haters dont have much to say for the next week. (are you guys really Steeler fans? :wft ) Ben was sacked 2x by super Mario and NOBODY ELSE TOUCHED HIM. He was 13/14 for crying out loud. and the running game speaks for itself. So much for the prognostications of the Steelers imminent demise and so much for the Fox crew with 3/5 picking Houston in their upset special.

NE drops out of contention and our Steel City squad assume their rightful place as one of the elite teams in the league. Go Steelers!

Oviedo
09-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Houston's DL may be the best we see all season. Mario Williams may be the best DE in the entire NFL.

The OL was solid. One of the sacks was on Ben doing a double pump. The OL will be better this year without Faneca trying to impose his will on the other players. IMO--As the season goes on we will see that his lack of cooperation was the problem.

BTW--sign Marvel Smith right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stlrz d
09-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Houston's DL may be the best we see all season. Mario Williams may be the best DE in the entire NFL.

The OL was solid. One of the sacks was on Ben doing a double pump. The OL will be better this year without Faneca trying to impose his will on the other players. IMO--As the season goes on we will see that his lack of cooperation was the problem.

I figured this would be your take. I was pleased with the overall performance of the OL.

SteelHoss
09-07-2008, 09:24 PM
In a league of what have you done for me lately, the OL haters dont have much to say for the next week. (are you guys really Steeler fans? :wft ) Ben was sacked 2x by super Mario and NOBODY ELSE TOUCHED HIM. He was 13/14 for crying out loud. and the running game speaks for itself. So much for the prognostications of the Steelers imminent demise and so much for the Fox crew with 3/5 picking Houston in their upset special.

NE drops out of contention and our Steel City squad assume their rightful place as one of the elite teams in the league. Go Steelers!

:Agree While it might be alright for some to be cautiously optimistic, your evaluation is right on IMO. Did anyone notice Eason's & Kirche's play in the D line rotation? I was pleasantly surprised. Hopefully, that kind of play out of those two will continue through out the season. This team should only get better and stronger. :tt1 :tt1 :tt2 :tt2

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-07-2008, 09:33 PM

I think Dallas and NY Giants will be more of a challenge, with probably at least a few other teams not being pushovers either (Jags?). We still have a lot to prove, but for today it was a job well done, and I am ecstatic :D :tt2 :tt1

RuthlessBurgher
09-08-2008, 01:44 AM

:Agree While it might be alright for some to be cautiously optimistic, your evaluation is right on IMO. Did anyone notice Eason's & Kirche's play in the D line rotation? I was pleasantly surprised. Hopefully, that kind of play out of those two will continue through out the season. This team should only get better and stronger. :tt1 :tt1 :tt2 :tt2

I absolutely noticed that. Aaron and Keisel both played well, and when they rotated in Kirschke and Eason, they both still continued to make plays! It was like competant football players had possessed their bodies and were making them do things that we were all unaccustomed to seeing.

frankthetank1
09-08-2008, 11:30 AM
i thought the oline was great!! they far exceeded my expectations against one of the better d-lines in the nfl. i really liked how quickly ben was getting the ball out of his hand, that definetly helped. the run blocking was excellent as well. i hope this continues. i love woodley, the sky is the limit for him. i thought nick eason played great! where was he all of last year? he had half a sack and made a really nice open field tackle. timmons also had a few nice tackles when he got in the game. the only thing i would of liked to see was sweed see some action late in the game. it was a perfect scenerio for him to see some action. by the way the browns looked absolutely terrible. the cowboys are a good team but still. im not getting my hopes up, its only week one, but i couldnt of asked for a better start to the season

RuthlessBurgher
09-08-2008, 11:35 AM
the only thing i would of liked to see was sweed see some action late in the game. it was a perfect scenerio for him to see some action.

Since he was inactive, that was not an option. Tomlin dressed Baker as the #4 WR instead.

frankthetank1
09-08-2008, 12:39 PM
the only thing i would of liked to see was sweed see some action late in the game. it was a perfect scenerio for him to see some action.

Since he was inactive, that was not an option. Tomlin dressed Baker as the #4 WR instead.

yea i know he wasnt active thats why i said that was the only thing i would of liked to see. i still dont like that decision. sweed has more potential than baker

AngryAsian
09-08-2008, 12:53 PM
For an opening game, with the shifting of personnel and facing a very above average DL, the OL played great. Could we improve? Absofugginlutely! Games like yesterday will show the coaching staff what worked and what needs retooling. When your passrush can create that much penetration and disrupt the QB enough to create turnovers, it is a very good thing. Both our OLBs played like monsters of old (Greene, Lloyd) that made our 3-4 scheme feared. I think we have the pieces in place to continue turning in defensive performances like that so that our offense can do some damage.

If you take the successes of last year into account, so much of how this team operates hinges heavy on rhythm and pace. When our D got opportunistic and gave great field position for the O.... then our O went for the jugular. My only concern is that our secondary needs to help. I'm still not convinced that we clog up the soft spots. Cleveland will be looking to find those spots and I hope we are up to the test. We can't exchange blows with the Stains. We need to take their heart out of the game early and keep pounding them relentlessly.

frankthetank1
09-08-2008, 01:01 PM
For an opening game, with the shifting of personnel and facing a very above average DL, the OL played great. Could we improve? Absofugginlutely! We games like yesterday will show the coaching staff what worked and what needs retooling. When your passrush can create that much penetration and disrupt the QB enough to create turnovers, it is a very good thing. Both our OLBs played like monsters of old (Greene, Lloyd) that made our 3-4 scheme feared. I think we have the pieces in place to continue turning in defensive performances like that so that our offense can do some damage.

If you take the successes of last year into account, so much of how this team operates hinges heavy on rhythm and pace. When our D got opportunistic and gave great field position for the O.... then our O went for the jugular. My only concern is that our secondary needs to help. I'm still not convinced that we clog up the soft spots. Cleveland will be looking to find those spots and I hope we are up to the test. We can't exchange blows with the Stains. We need to take their heart out of the game early and keep pounding them relentlessly.

the browns looked really bad yesterday but you cant take them lightly. their passing game will keep them in some games, but i dont see jamal lewis doing much against the steelers. the browns defense looked awful. i know its the cowboys but still they looked terrible. i think the browns will get better as the season goes on, but they are no elite team by any means.