PDA

View Full Version : OT: Willie Anderson signs with Baltimore

BigBen2112
09-04-2008, 07:24 PM
I guess one team in our division saw the benefit of adding a more than capable offensive lineman to their team.

Anderson turns down Bucs, Chargers for three-year deal with Ravens

By John Clayton
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: September 4, 2008, 6:37 PM ET

With job security in mind, former Cincinnati Bengals right tackle Willie Anderson turned down trips to Tampa Bay and San Diego and accepted a three-year, $10.5 million deal with the Baltimore Ravens.

Anderson was set to make a Thursday visit to Tampa, but the Ravens stepped up their offer. The former Pro Bowl tackle can now take a few weeks to learn the offense and try to win the starting job.
Normally veteran players who are released in the final cut have hard time securing a one-year deal. A three-year, $3.5 million a year offer is rare.

The Ravens have Jared Gaither at left tackle and Adam Terry at right tackle, but the addition of Anderson will give them flexibility. Terry can slide over to left tackle to help or beat out Gaither for the starting job. Both Gaither and Terry missed most of the preseason because of ankle injuries.

The Chargers were particularly disappointed about losing Anderson to the Ravens. They had targeted him as a key backup for the right side of their line. The Bucs were looking for tackle help but may not have been willing to give him a starting job. The chance to start and the three-year deal convinced Anderson to turn down the other trips and agree with the Ravens.

Senior writer John Clayton covers the NFL for ESPN.com.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3569925

Just over the money we gave to Mahan. Lets see Mahan vs. Anderson? No contest its Anderson.

Anderson vs. Starks? Yep its clearly Anderson again...at 1/2 of the price. The Baltimore OL just got instantly better.

buckeyehoppy
09-04-2008, 07:46 PM
I'll have to agree, even with any personal factors affecting Anderson at this point. There's no substitute for knowledge at one's position and that's where Anderson could have made a difference. But we'll see if he has any juice or if he has lingering problems through the season.

Ozey74
09-04-2008, 08:03 PM
I feel sorry for who matches up against him on Sunday.

Jom112
09-04-2008, 09:40 PM
It's a smart move by the Ravens. Anderson is probably never going to be 100% again but his technique is second to none. He gets great leverage and has really good footwork so he'll be able to hold his own. If nothing else he'll be a great mentor to the young linemen like Gaither and Terry.

The only problem I see though is that the Ravens signed him to a long term contract:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80a858c9&template=without-video&confirm=true)

WINGS MILLS, Md. -- The Baltimore Ravens signed former Cincinnati Bengals offensive tackle Willie Anderson to a three-year, $11 million contract, including $3.5 million guaranteed, reports NFL Network's Adam Schefter.

The addition of Anderson comes days before the Ravens open the season against his former team. The 33-year-old Anderson will receive a $1.67 million signing bonus.

The four-time Pro Bowl selection was cut by the Bengals recently after refusing to take a pay cut. The 6-foot-5, 340-pounder picked the Ravens over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and San Diego Chargers after visiting the Ravens on Wednesday.

Terry Bolar, Anderson's agent, said Baltimore has a tradition of winning and he can't think of a better fit for his client.

Personally I think Willie will play this year and then retire. Maybe one more season if he thinks the Ravens have a shot at the SB.

Shawn
09-04-2008, 10:32 PM
I'll agree with ya BB...this would have been a nice addition.

Les 74
09-04-2008, 10:39 PM
Personally I think Willie will play this year and then retire. Maybe one more season if he thinks the Ravens have a shot at the SB.

So then he'll retire at the end of this season. :lol: :lol:

Chadman
09-04-2008, 10:47 PM
The only thing signing Anderson would have done is retard the development of the Steelers young, current RT- Willie colon. If the Steelers are sold on Colon- just play him. Let him develop into what they envision.

Shawn
09-04-2008, 10:55 PM
The only thing signing Anderson would have done is retard the development of the Steelers young, current RT- Willie colon. If the Steelers are sold on Colon- just play him. Let him develop into what they envision.

I dont think they should be sold on him at RT...LG maybe.

SteelTorch
09-05-2008, 12:59 AM
I'll have to agree, even with any personal factors affecting Anderson at this point. There's no substitute for knowledge at one's position and that's where Anderson could have made a difference. But we'll see if he has any juice or if he has lingering problems through the season.
I don't think so. He might be experienced, but trying to learn a new system wouldn't be a good idea. The salary wasn't as high as I thought it'd be, though.

By the way, the next time one of you goes to a game, be sure to bring a sign that says:

"STARKS: WE WANT OUR $7 MILLION BACK!" :P

BigBen2112
09-05-2008, 06:48 AM

IF they are sold on Colon as our future RT then we are in serious trouble.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-05-2008, 08:39 AM
I would have loved to see Anderson here but the Steelers wouldn't have signed him until after week 1 and I don't think he would have been offered even half the amount. The Raven's are now on the hook for his 2008 contract even if they release him. That was the only fear I had of signing him.

Slapstick
09-05-2008, 09:08 AM
He's washed up.

BigBen2112
09-05-2008, 09:29 AM
He's washed up.

And our OL is?!?!!?

Slapstick
09-05-2008, 09:51 AM
And our OL is?!?!!?

Not rehabbing injuries...

BigBen2112
09-05-2008, 10:26 AM
And our OL is?!?!!?

Not rehabbing injuries...

One of the worst in all of the NFL.

Slapstick
09-05-2008, 10:39 AM

Again, that's your opinion...

And, again, I disagree...

BigBen2112
09-05-2008, 11:14 AM

That's fine. I think our OL is great.

RuthlessBurgher
09-05-2008, 12:05 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

BigBen2112
09-05-2008, 12:09 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Didn't we give up like top 3 or 4 sacks in the NFL last year?

I think that's great. At least we're ranked highly :lol: