PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Divisional Winners Prediction Thread...

Jom112
09-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Didn't see a thread about this already so I thought I would start one up before the regular season officially begins. Basically just pick who you think will win each division:

AFC East - Patriots.
I actually think the Bills will give them a good fight for the crown but until NE gets knocked off, I'll keep them on top.

AFC North - Bengals.
I'm a big time homer not much more I can say. Steelers should win the division but I won't pick them.

AFC South - Jaguars.
With Saturday Injured and Manning having some knee issues I think the Jags finally overtake the Colts.

AFC West - Chargers.
The rest of the teams in the division have too many issues to contend with the Chargers.

NFC East - Cowboys.
Out of all the "favorites" going into the season the Cowboys seem to have the least question marks. They could get into a lot of trouble if one of their WR's get hurt but other than that they are pretty solid.

NFC South - Panthers.
Last season things went really bad for the Panthers but they still finished just two games away from the division crown. I think with Jake Delhomme healthy and Julius Peppers in a contract year the Panthers step up and win the division.

NFC East - Vikings.
GB is pretty good as well, but the Vikings are too loaded not to win.

NFC West - Seattle.
Winner by default.

RuthlessBurgher
09-04-2008, 01:44 PM
AFC East
1. NE
2. BUF (WC)
3. NYJ
4. MIA

AFC North
1. PIT
2. CIN
3. CLE
4. BAL

AFC South
1. JAX
2. IND (WC)
3. HOU
4. TEN

AFC West
1. SD
2. DEN
3. OAK
4. KC

NFC East
1. DAL
2. PHI (WC)
3. NYG
4. WAS

NFC North
1. MIN
2. GB (WC)
3. DET
4. CHI

NFC South
1. NO
2. CAR
3. TB
4. ATL

NFC West
1. SEA
2. ARZ
3. SF
4. STL

Jom112
09-04-2008, 02:16 PM
AFC East
1. NE
2. BUF (WC)
3. NYJ
4. MIA

AFC North
1. PIT
2. CIN
3. CLE
4. BAL

AFC South
1. JAX
2. IND (WC)
3. HOU
4. TEN

AFC West
1. SD
2. DEN
3. OAK
4. KC

NFC East
1. DAL
2. PHI (WC)
3. NYG
4. WAS

NFC North
1. MIN
2. GB (WC)
3. DET
4. CHI

NFC South
1. NO
2. CAR
3. TB
4. ATL

NFC West
1. SEA
2. ARZ
3. SF
4. STL

I would swap Carolina with NO and the Bengals with Steelers ( :wink: ). But besides that I have the same standings that you do...

Oviedo
09-04-2008, 02:50 PM
AFC East
1. NE
2. NYJ (WC)--Favre is the difference
3. BUF--just misses play offs
4. MIA

AFC North
1. PIT 10-6
2. CLE 8-8--they will find out they really don't have a QB
3. CIN 7-9-Goodbye Marvin and Chad whatever his name is
4. BAL 6-10-no QB, old defense

AFC South
1. IND
2. HOU (WC)--will be the surprise team in the NFL this year. Tough Game #1 for Steelers.
3. JAX--like Cleveland they find out they really don't have a QB
4. TEN

AFC West
1. SD
2. DEN
3. OAK
4. KC

NFC East
1. PHI
2. DAL (WC)
3. NYG
4. WAS

NFC North
1. MIN
2. GB
3. DET
4. CHI

NFC South
1. NO
2. TB (WC)
3. CAR--Cowher takes over next year after Fox is fired
4. ATL

NFC West
1. SEA
2. SF
3. ARZ--we see how lucky we are that Whisenhunt isn't coach
4. STL

motter1975
09-04-2008, 03:01 PM
AFC North - Bengals. I'm a big time homer not much more I can say. Steelers should win the division but I won't pick them.

Well, at least you're honest about being a homer :wink:

Here's Mine:

AFC:
North: Steelers - I'm a homer too, but beyond that, I really do think we're the class of the division.

South: Jacksonville - again, with the injury to Saturday, I think Peyton's going to have a bit of a hard time, and I think this is the year Jax overcomes Indy.

East: Hate to say it, but until someone can knock them from their perch, I have to pick New England.

West: San Diego

NFC:
North: Green Bay - I think they've got the tools to help Rogers make the transition. I don't trust Minesota's offense, and I believe teams will shut down AP and force Tavaris Jackson to beat them with his arm, and I don't think he can do it. Chicago and Detroit, well, maybe if you put Detroit's offense with Chicago's defense, they might have a shot, but otherwise...

South: I really think it could go to any of the three - Tampa Bay, New Orleans, or Carolina, but if I have to choose one, I'll pick New Orleans.

East: Philadelphia - Yeah, I know they finished last last year, but I don't think the Cowboys are all they're cracked up to be, I think the Giant's have too many key losses, and I just don't think Washington's there. With McNabb healthy, I think the Eagles could definitely win the division

West: Seattle - they're the most solid in an historically weak division.

RuthlessBurgher
09-04-2008, 03:02 PM
AFC East
1. NE
2. NYJ (WC)--Favre is the difference
3. BUF--just misses play offs
4. MIA

AFC North
1. PIT 10-6
2. CLE 8-8--they will find out they really don't have a QB
3. CIN 7-9-Goodbye Marvin and Chad whatever his name is
4. BAL 6-10-no QB, old defense

AFC South
1. IND
2. HOU (WC)--will be the surprise team in the NFL this year. Tough Game #1 for Steelers.
3. JAX--like Cleveland they find out they really don't have a QB
4. TEN

AFC West
1. SD
2. DEN
3. OAK
4. KC

NFC East
1. PHI
2. DAL (WC)
3. NYG
4. WAS

NFC North
1. MIN
2. GB
3. DET
4. CHI

NFC South
1. NO
2. TB (WC)
3. CAR--Cowher takes over next year after Fox is fired
4. ATL

NFC West
1. SEA
2. SF
3. ARZ--we see how lucky we are that Whisenhunt isn't coach
4. STL

I also like Houston this year. I thought about having 3 playoff teams in the South, but since the Texans play in such a tough division, while the Bills play in a much easier division with a lightweight schedule, I gave Buffalo the advantage in that wildcard race.

buckeyehoppy
09-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Thanks for starting the thread, Jom. For a Bungholes fan, you're not a bad guy. You still won't like my projection for your favorites, but perhaps the long range forecast will improve the Queen City Kitties after "It is what it is" Marvin gets launched.

AFC East
1. NE
2. BUF(WC)
3. NYJ
4. MIA
Comment: The Pats* have been atop the roost in the East for a while now. But age is beginning to catch up to the favored squad of the ESPU set. The Pats* will get a stiffer challenge than they bargained for from the Bills, who have put together a modest team with high draft picks and are ready to emerge with this campaign.

AFC North
1. PIT
2. CLE
3. BAL
4. CIN
Comment: The AFC North faces a brutal schedule team for team. The Steelers will top the others in the division and if they remain healthy they could pull away from the pack. The Clowns should pose a challenge, but no defense means nothing better than a .500 record. At this point, the Ratfarts are an ambitious projection at third, but the Bungholes are the Clowns only not nearly as far along. The Steelers should be able to rack up a considerable offense against both CLE and CIN and turn in a formidable campaign.

AFC South
1. IND
2. HOU(WC)
3. JAX
4. TEN
Comment: Team for team, the AFC South should prove to be the strongest division in football. No light touches here. The Colts still have quite a lineup, even with any potential protection problems for Manning. Whoever wishes to win the AFC South will still need to successfully deal with the Colts. That won't be any easier than dealing with the Steelers. Look for the "last place" Titans to approach or equal .500.

AFC West
1. SD
2. DEN
3. KC
4. OAK
Comment: This division will prove to be the doormat of the AFC. The Chargers may well be the only decent team in this division and they are a decided step behind the other division leaders in the AFC. San Diego should still win going away, but that isn't saying much in the AFC JV.

NFC East
1. DAL
2. NYG(WC)
3. PHI
4. WAS
Comment: This is the elite division in the NFC. The Cowqueens are a playoff doormat to this point, but should be ready to emerge from their doldrums and take charge of an NFC that is not nearly as strong as the AFC. The Giants have a tough act to follow. But they should be a formidable foe in any given week. And The Beagles and Deadskins shouldn't be overlooked either, as both have the talent to be spoilers.

NFC North
1. MIN
2. DET
3. CHI
4. GB
Comment: There are plenty of question marks among the teams in this division. The Viqueens, however, seem to possess the fewest. I don't know what possesses anyone who picks the Lions second, but they have drafted low enough for long enough that they seem to have actually put together a pretty competitive squad. The Bears and Packers aren't horrible teams, but both have challenges at QB and have other trouble spots that will keep both teams down. This is the most fluid division in football in that there is no clear front runner. Look for the team with the fewest injury concerns to emerge from this fairly mediocre bunch.

NFC South
1. NO
2. CAR(WC)
3. TB
4. ATL
Comment: I figure that any of the top three teams here are a good bet to emerge with the division laurels. But the Saints have the fewest question marks and seem to be poised to prove that last season was a hiccup. The Panthers will go as far as Delhomme will carry them on offense, but their defense will allow them to lurk in every game. The Bucs are probably a step down, but I wouldn't discount Chuckie Gruden's squad.

NFC West
1. SEA
2. ARZ
3. SF
4. STL
Comment: This division's mediocrity is mirrored by the AFC West and NFC North. Seattle is a formidable foe, but they really don't have a great punch for a team who is so universally regarded as a divisional front runner in pre-season. Arizona has the personnel to make a push this year. Then again, perhaps they will remember that they are the Crapinals and are expected to suck.

SBXLIII: The Steelers get a show down with the Cowqueens for the right to be the first team to the sixth ring. Expect the Steelers to emerge from a stiff schedule and a rugged campaign as the battle hardened champions here.

SB Darkhorses by Conference:
AFC: The Colts and Pats* should be the primary challengers to the Steelers here and neither will be a light touch. Watch for the Texans to be the cinderella story of the NFL this year.

NFC: The Saints will have a major say in whether the Cowqueens emerge, but the experience in Dallas should make the difference. Also keep an eye on the Seahawks. They should be the one team who manages to stay under the radar successfully all season on the otherwise forgotten West Coast.

Iron Shiek
09-04-2008, 10:55 PM
AFC

Steelers/Colts/Pats/Chargers = Division Winners (no surprises)
Titans/Jets = Wild Card (yup no Jags, in for a fall this year)

NFC

Packers/Panthers/Eagles/Seattle = Division Winners (Eagles my surprise team, and I am not fond of Vikes just yet, although nice D)

Cowboys/Bucs

I am out on a limb with a couple of these. No Saints, Jags or Vikes. These are teams everyone raving about and those kinds of teams don't do crap. Plus Saints got ragged DB's and I'm sorry I just don't see Bush as the answer, they will be one dimensional; Vikes got serious question at QB, and don't know what to say about Jags. Lots of off field things can put a damper on their season. As for no Giants, super bowl hangover might bite them plus tough division.

SteelerOfDeVille
09-04-2008, 11:27 PM
AFC East - Patriots
AFC North - Browns
AFC South - Jaguars
AFC West - Chargers
NFC East - Cowboys
NFC South - Panthers
NFC East - Packers
NFC West - Cardinals

and so begins the Whiz argument...

kennyes
09-05-2008, 01:37 AM
AFC North - Bengals.
I'm a big time homer not much more I can say.

By Homer do you mean RhinoPlasty ?

:stirpot