PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding the sophomore jinx - best second albums

ColumbusSteelerFan
09-01-2008, 06:23 AM
You've heard it before - some "hot" new group comes out with a great debut album. Everyone loves it. Then, the real test...their followup album. Most groups have to write new material to fill out the album. For the truly talented, it's no problem. For others...well, maybe they should've quit while ahead! :D

So, to start this thread, here's a few of my favorite second releases by artists that turned out for the better. Feel free to add your own, make comments, whatever.

Van Halen - Van Halen II
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Dream Theater - Images And Words
Coroner - Punishment For Decadence
Iron Maiden - Killers
The Black Crowes - The Southern Harmony And Music Companion
Metallica - Ride The Lightning
Megadeth - Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?
Def Leppard - High 'N Dry
Rainbow - Rising
Kyuss - Blues For The Red Sun
Entomed - Clandestine
Crowbar - Crowbar

Ozey74
09-01-2008, 08:14 AM
Aerosmith "Get Your Wings"

http://www.spirit-of-metal.com/les%20goupes/A/Aerosmith/Get%20Your%20Wings/Get%20Your%20Wings.jpg

Album highlights- "Train Kept a Rollin'" & "Seasons of Wither" (still one of the highlights of their show if this song makes the set list)

Ozey74
09-01-2008, 08:17 AM
Patera's "Vulgar Display of Power" should also be on a list of best 2nd records.

ghettoscott
09-01-2008, 11:03 AM
Run DMC - Raising Hell

stlrz d
09-01-2008, 12:14 PM
The Black Crowes - The Southern Harmony And Music Companion

I'll have to give this some thought. Off the top of my head (I'm a Blues Traveler fan) I think that Traveler's and Thieves is much better than their first release, which was still quite good.

As for The Black Crowes, I'd say not only did The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion better the first one, I'd argue that TSHAMC is their best period. Sting Me, Remedy, Hotel Illness, My Morning Song...are you kidding me?!?! This disc is very good, imo!

ColumbusSteelerFan
09-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Patera's "Vulgar Display of Power" should also be on a list of best 2nd records.

It should be, but it's technically NOT their 2nd album. You have to go back to their glam days for that one. Not a bad album actually.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/73/PanteraProjectsInTheJungle.jpg

Ozey74
09-01-2008, 12:54 PM

It should be, but it's technically NOT their 2nd album. You have to go back to their glam days for that one. Not a bad album actually.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/73/PanteraProjectsInTheJungle.jpg

Your right!! Forgot about that. Thanks!!!

ColumbusSteelerFan
09-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Can't forget these:

Judas Priest - Sad Wings Of Destiny
Extreme - Extreme II
Ozzy Osbourne - Diary Of A Madman
Dio - The Last In Line

Ozey74
09-01-2008, 01:08 PM
Can't forget these:

Extreme - Extreme II
Dio - The Last In Line

Extreme is a great, very underrated band. Did you know that they released a new CD last month. Check their website. Gary Cherone caught alot of unnecessary flack for his stint in Van Halen.

ColumbusSteelerFan
09-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Can't forget these:

Extreme - Extreme II
Dio - The Last In Line

Extreme is a great, very underrated band. Did you know that they released a new CD last month. Check their website. Gary Cherone caught alot of unnecessary flack for his stint in Van Halen.

Heard about the reunion but not a CD. Will have to check out sometime. In the meantime, a few more:

Alice In Chains - Dirt
Annihilator - Never, Neverland
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
Blue Oyster Cult - Tyranny And Mutation
Steely Dan - Countdown To Esctasy

AkronSteel
09-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Can't forget these:

Extreme - Extreme II
Dio - The Last In Line

Man, I saw VH with Cherone in Cleveland and I must say, IT WAS TERRIBLE! The guy just wasn't good and just didn't fit with that scene. One of my closest friends is a big VH fan and he was embarrassed with that performance. Sad enough as it is, that is the only time I got to see VH, Sad just Sad!

AkronSteel
09-01-2008, 08:50 PM
Can't forget these:

Extreme - Extreme II
Dio - The Last In Line

Heard about the reunion but not a CD. Will have to check out sometime. In the meantime, a few more:

Alice In Chains - Dirt
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
Blue Oyster Cult - Tyranny And Mutation
Steely Dan - Countdown To Esctasy

Dirt is one of my favorite albums hands down! I really like STP's second album as well, but I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head.

Ozey74
09-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Dirt is one of my favorite albums hands down! I really like STP's second album as well, but I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head.

I believe "Purple" is the name.

ColumbusSteelerFan
09-01-2008, 11:03 PM
Can't forget these:

Extreme - Extreme II
Dio - The Last In Line

Man, I saw VH with Cherone in Cleveland and I must say, IT WAS TERRIBLE! The guy just wasn't good and just didn't fit with that scene. One of my closest friends is a big VH fan and he was embarrassed with that performance. Sad enough as it is, that is the only time I got to see VH, Sad just Sad!

Oh no, you saw the VH III debacle? Sorry to hear. I remember driving down the Parkway West in 1998 with my ex-girlfriend and "Without You" came on DVE. I thought, "OK, at least it's not Spambo, so I'll give it a shot." After about 30 seconds of what I heard, I violently changed the station. :shock:

Does this mean you missed VH last year in Cleveland? Oh man, you missed a good one. If you need "documented" proof, I might be able to help with that. :mrgreen:

ColumbusSteelerFan
09-01-2008, 11:12 PM
And a few others ones you just gotta include on here:

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II
Queensryche - Rage For Order (second full length album)
Racer X - Second Heat
Tesla - The Great Radio Controversy
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood

AkronSteel
09-02-2008, 09:04 AM
Can't forget these:

Extreme - Extreme II
Dio - The Last In Line

Oh no, you saw the VH III debacle? Sorry to hear. I remember driving down the Parkway West in 1998 with my ex-girlfriend and "Without You" came on DVE. I thought, "OK, at least it's not Spambo, so I'll give it a shot." After about 30 seconds of what I heard, I violently changed the station. :shock:

Does this mean you missed VH last year in Cleveland? Oh man, you missed a good one. If you need "documented" proof, I might be able to help with that. :mrgreen:

Yeah I missed it, had to have a surgery about 3 days before the show and was in no condition to go. I gave my ticket to one of my friends, but hey at least I got a T-shirt! :(

Shawn
09-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Hands down...Backstreet Boys...Black and Blue.

Terrific album that displayed the diversity and masculine nuances that is BsB.
If you haven't heard it...do yourself a favor and pick it up. A must for all collections.

Les 74
09-02-2008, 01:28 PM

If you haven't heard it...do yourself a favor and pick it up. A must for all collections.

Ummmmmm.......uhhhhhhhhhhh..........errrrrrrrrrrr. ....ok. :wft :shock: :lol:

In all honesty,my wife is probably one of if not thee biggest BSB fans on the planet. :?

RuthlessBurgher
09-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Can't forget these:

Extreme - Extreme II
Dio - The Last In Line

The only time I ever got backstage passes for a concert was for VHIII. Don't get me wrong, it is cool having a picture we me and my wife (girlfriend at the time) with Eddie, Alex, and Mark Anthony, but then you look back and think...who was that other guy? :lol:

Shawn
09-02-2008, 06:40 PM

Smart woman...well about everything except the whole marrying you thing.

:mrgreen: :lol:

In all honesty,my wife is probably one of if not thee biggest BSB fans on the planet. :?

Ghost
09-03-2008, 08:57 AM
The Foo Fighters second album - 'The Colour and the Shape' was better than the first, where Dave Grohl played all the instruments and then formed an actual band. 'Monkey Wrench' and 'Everlong' are still two of the best songs they ever recorded.

ColumbusSteelerFan
09-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Good Lord, how in the world as a fan of Pittsburgh's musical heritage did I forget THIS one? :shock:

http://www.bumpermorgan.com/iris.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
09-03-2008, 07:05 PM
The second album for Milli Vanilli didn't go over so well. :lol:

Les 74
09-04-2008, 02:11 PM

Everyone has their faults....................well,except for me. :lol:

Jigawatts
09-04-2008, 02:32 PM
http://www.dealbreaker.com/images/entries/B2m-ii.jpg

A pimply faced Jigawatts once roamed the halls of his high school, seeking out his
true love. Some would consider this stalking, but to those young women that were swooned
by his jiga charm, young Jigawatts would hold a place for them in his heart forever.

But Jigwatts had a secret, a secret named Boyz II Men. Yes, it was with the help of
songs such as "On Bended Knee", "Water Runs Dry", and of course, "Ill Make Love to
You" that had the young Mustang women percolating for Jigawatts.

For all the lady Stangs from '94 to '97, this one's for you....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqU2WXKcUb0

Shawn
09-04-2008, 04:25 PM
http://www.dealbreaker.com/images/entries/B2m-ii.jpg

A pimply faced Jigawatts once roamed the halls of his high school, seeking out his
true love. Some would consider this stalking, but to those young women that were swooned
by his jiga charm, young Jigawatts would hold a place for them in his heart forever.

But Jigwatts had a secret, a secret named Boyz II Men. Yes, it was with the help of
songs such as "On Bended Knee", "Water Runs Dry", and of course, "Ill Make Love to
You" that had the young Mustang women percolating for Jigawatts.

For all the lady Stangs from '94 to '97, this one's for you....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqU2WXKcUb0

That was one of the best R&B albums...ever. I still listen to it.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-07-2008, 09:52 AM
"The Beatles Second Album!" . Not expecting much agreement here, but gotta do it (it's my other vice, uh, I mean passion)!

Ozey74
09-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Has Guns N' Roses "Use Your Illusion I & II" been mentioned? This band pissed everything away. Axl is a dumbass. He'd be a billionaire today if G n'R held it together.

Jigawatts
09-08-2008, 08:17 PM
Has Guns N' Roses "Use Your Illusion I & II" been mentioned? This band pissed everything away. Axl is a dumbass. He'd be a billionaire today if G n'R held it together.

I mention this at work every time a GNR song comes on, and I don't care how much
people are sick of me saying it, but "what if Axl wasn't such a dumbass?" November
Rain off of Use your Illusion I, one of the best songs/videos ever.

Les 74
09-08-2008, 09:28 PM

I agree with this statement,but I'm pretty sure that Use Your Illusion was their 3rd album.

Ozey74
09-08-2008, 09:43 PM

I agree with this statement,but I'm pretty sure that Use Your Illusion was their 3rd album.

IMO, GnR Lies doesn't count as their 2nd studio record. Many songs on that record were remakes and accoustic verison of older songs of theirs.

Les 74
09-08-2008, 09:53 PM

IMO, GnR Lies doesn't count as their 2nd studio record. Many songs on that record were remakes and accoustic verison of older songs of theirs.

Aside from the fact that I think that it blows.Every time I hear Patience,I want to chop my ears off.

Ozey74
09-08-2008, 10:00 PM
[quote=Ozey74]Has Guns N' Roses "Use Your Illusion I & II" been mentioned? This band pissed everything away. Axl is a dumbass. He'd be a billionaire today if G n'R held it together.

Aside from the fact that I think that it blows.Every time I hear Patience,I want to chop my ears off.[/quote:1j2yqu97]

Agree. There was a "most overrated song" thread on here several months ago. Patience was my contribution to the thread. That song is musical crap!

ColumbusSteelerFan
09-19-2008, 09:04 PM
Reviving after my trip from Myrtle Beach last week. Beat the hurricane weather and saw a good amount of Steelers gear down there! Two more to add:

Motley Crue - Shout At The Devil
Motorhead - Overkill

ColumbusSteelerFan
12-29-2008, 07:40 AM
Well, the year's almost over and I remembered I forgot a few:

Ramones - Leave Home
U.K. - Danger Money (c'mon, ANY fans on here besides me?)
Candlemass - Nightfall
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Believer - Sanity Obscure
Billy Idol - Rebel Yell

More to follow, please continue to add your own!

snarky
01-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Umm most of these are pretty obscure but they are among my all time favorite albums and all are sophomore efforts.

Explosions in the Sky: The Earth is not a Cold Dead Place (one could make the argument that this is their third album by they disowned their first so...)
Stereolab: Transient - Random Noise Bursts with Announcements
Galaxie 500: On Fire
Thievery Corporation: Mirror Conspiracy
St Germain: Tourist
A Tribe Called Quest: Low End Theory

BTW, the reason the sophomore slump exists and is more prevalent on more corporate labels is pretty simple.

A band plays together for four/five years doing live gigs etc. Over that four/five years they are writing lots of songs. For their first album they take what they think are their ten or so best songs.

Then they make it big and along comes mr. record company talent scout. They sign a record deal to produce an album by x date. They go into the studio with a smallish budget and have come up with new material. The job is rushed and sometimes they pull in songs that didn't make the cut the first time.

Bingo, sophomore slump.