NKySteeler
08-31-2008, 05:33 PM
I still say JoePa is the "anti-christ"......... :lol:
----------------------------------------------------------------

August 31, 2008

Paterno matches Bowden as Nittany Lions coast
By STEVE MASLOWSKY
For The Tribune-Democrat

STATE COLLEGE — Joe Paterno is back at the top of the record book – at least until Florida State plays again.

Saturday’s 66-10 blowout of Coastal Carolina, combined with an off week for Florida State, allowed the 81-year-old coach to move into a tie with Bobby Bowden for most all-time wins with 373.

While Paterno said “it’s not a big deal to me,” his players recognized the record’s significance.

“We know that it’s there,” quarterback Daryll Clark said. “But we try not, too much, to think about it. … It’s a very, very, very impressive record to have for Coach, but we plan on winning more games than just one.”

It may have only been against Coastal Carolina (0-1), a Football Championship Subdivision (formerly I-AA) opponent, but Penn State’s offense certainly gave the Lions reason for optimism Saturday. Penn State (1-0) dominated every offensive aspect of the game, racking up 594 yards of total offense en route to the dominating win.

It was the most points scored by Penn State since the Lions hung 67 on Louisiana Tech in 2000.

Clark – who narrowly defeated Pat Devlin to win the starting spot out of camp – did little to bring the coaching staff’s decision into question, completing 11 of 14 passes for 146 yards, including his first career touchdown pass, a 5-yard strike to Jordan Norwood in the second quarter.

It was the first time Clark had a chance to debunk his reputation as a run-first quarterback, as his previous game action had showcased him primarily as a scrambler.

“First thing: He’s got to be a passing quarterback,” Paterno said. “If he can do that, and we can throw the football, we know we can run with it.”

Paterno had promised to give Devlin a chance to play against the Chanticleers, and for his part, Devlin performed when called upon. Although the Lions led 28-7 by the time Devlin took his first snap, the redshirt sophomore connected on 5 of 8 attempts, including a beautiful 40-yard pass to Norwood, for a total of 83 yards.

Norwood, who led the receivers with four catches for 74 yards, was impressed with both quarterbacks.

“(There was) no dropoff,” Norwood said. “I had to kind of look back and see who was back there a couple of times. But we’ll see where we go from here, see if we’ll keep getting them both looks.”

Quarterback isn’t the only position where the Lions have multiple players vying for playing time. In addition to having a solid stable of receivers with Norwood, Deon Butler and Derrick Williams, the Lions have several options at running back as well.

The Lions had four different players rush for touchdowns Saturday, with Evan Royster leading the way with three scores.

Stephfon Green, who redshirted last season, had a successful debut for the Lions, gaining 89 yards on 10 carries with two touchdowns.

Green said sharing carries can have positives and negatives.

“Of course it’s going to be frustrating,” Green said. “I was frustrated last year, and for me to come in this year, I’ll probably get frustrated at times, too. But when I know my number’s called, I’m going to do it to the best of my ability. If you have a lot of weapons that’s probably one of the positives ... that everybody wants the ball.”

Despite the impressive offensive display, the coaching staff did not dip deep into its playbook against a team like Coastal Carolina.

“It was pretty scaled back,” Clark said. “There’s a lot of things that we’ve done over the preseason that you guys have not even seen yet.”