PDA

View Full Version : On the eve of the 2008 season and the bold predictions are..

Hardliner
08-31-2008, 05:26 PM
And they are.....? Roll the drums a bit longer, keep the music going because I'm not all that sure just yet. Are you? Not that it matters all that much because ANY prediction at this early stage is more about hype and ego than reality.

All THAT SAID, and realize that I did say it, I'm going boldly forward where many NFL prosnosticators have tread before and predict the following:

AFC NORTH:
--The Steelers will make the playoffs at season's end. I don't know if it will be via the divisional championship or wild card but my sense is the AFC North is a bit down this year and the Steel looks to be the best of the bunch. Homerism for the Steeler board? Not really but I thought you guys would want to have confirmed what most, if not all of you, were thinking anyway.

AFC EAST:
--I'm going way out on that proverbial limb here by saying that 'Brett the Jet' will win this division! The Patties are relying on too many older vets, are suffering much remorse from the NYG Superbowl beat-down and just see the J-E-T-S finally getting the deal done. However, the Pats are still in the Wild Card mix and should prevail there. (I haven't completely lost my mind).

AFC SOUTH:
--I'm hearing all these inside and media rumors that Peyton is genuinely not ready to go do his deed for the first 4-6 games in 2008. This division is up for grabs, if true, so can we project Jax or maybe...Houston to fill the void? Maybe. But not likely. Until I see him on the IR list, I'll still pick the Colts to win in the South.

AFC WEST:
--Oh boy. Here's the one I know best and yet, I'm thinking I don't know at all for 2008. San Diego is the sexy and safe pick for many reasons but then we have to consider the still gimpy knee of Rivers, the aging LT, and the questionable longevity of Merriman. Denver might be next in line but I think they're not quite ready for a run either. Oakland and the CHIEFS are too young so, let me hold my nose and go safe with SD although I'm troubled with this pick.

REVIEWING: Playoff teams at season's end: Steel, Jets, Colts, Chargers. Wild carders: Pats and......let's go with Jax. So says me. What says you?

NKySteeler
08-31-2008, 05:40 PM
AFC SOUTH:
--I'm hearing all these inside and media rumors that Peyton is genuinely not ready to go do his deed for the first 4-6 games in 2008. This division is up for grabs, if true, so can we project Jax or maybe...Houston to fill the void? Maybe. But not likely. Until I see him on the IR list, I'll still pick the Colts to win in the South

I still think the AFC South is the most competitive division in the league...

Ozey74
08-31-2008, 09:01 PM
AFC EAST:
--I'm going way out on that proverbial limb here by saying that 'Brett the Jet' will win this division! The Patties are relying on too many older vets, are suffering much remorse from the NYG Superbowl beat-down and just see the J-E-T-S finally getting the deal done. However, the Pats are still in the Wild Card mix and should prevail there. (I haven't completely lost my mind).

Super Bowl runner-ups usually have a tendancy for sucking the following year. Can the Patriots really end up sucking this year??? I don't see how with their schedule.

Oviedo
09-01-2008, 09:05 AM
Here is a shot:

AFC North: Steelers will have no problem winning the Division again.
Steelers 10-6
Browns 8-8
Bumgals 7-9
Ravens 6-10

AFC South: Indy wins again, but by a thread and it is clear they are starting to decline. The Jags will see that Garrard is another Derek Anderson and he proves to not be as good as advertised. Potential Surprise: Texans surprise and win the Division or come in a close 2nd.

AFC East: Pats guaranteed at least 5 easy victories in one of the weakest Divisions in football (close in suckiness to NFC West), but expect first round exit in the play offs this year. Like the Colts this is the year the Pats decline starts. The defense betrays them.

AFC West: San Diego wins this one by at least 4 games and ends up at 13-3 and the best record in the AFC.

Pittsburgh and San Diego meet in the AFC Championship game.

Iron Shiek
09-01-2008, 10:01 AM
Here is a shot:

Steelers 10-6
Browns 8-8
Bumgals 7-9
Ravens 6-10

AFC South: Indy wins again, but by a thread and it is clear they are starting to decline. The Jags will see that Garrard is another Derek Anderson and he proves to not be as good as advertised. Potential Surprise: Texans surprise and win the Division or come in a close 2nd.

AFC East: Pats guaranteed at least 5 easy victories in one of the weakest Divisions in football (close in suckiness to NFC West), but expect first round exit in the play offs this year. Like the Colts this is the year the Pats decline starts. The defense betrays them.

AFC West: San Diego wins this one by at least 4 games and ends up at 13-3 and the best record in the AFC.

What the heck gives you that impression? Sure Harrison was hurt and we are clueless about Manning, but until I don't see them on the field, I could not agree with you more. Their defense might be exposed, but they never really have a dominating defense and manage to be 9-1 every year by week 11.

RuthlessBurgher
09-01-2008, 11:52 AM
This may be the year that Jacksonville overtakes Indy for the AFC South crown in the toughest division in the conference. If that happens, the Colts still get in as the top wild card, though, with a stronger record than your average wild card team. I think San Diego and New England win their divisions just because their respective talent levels are so much better than the rest of the teams in the AFC West and East. Same thing with the Steelers in the North. They are the only balanced team. The Ohio teams have all offense and no defense while the Maryland team has all defense and no offense. I think Cleveland is way overhyped, and there will be better teams in Buffalo, Houston, New York, and perhaps even Tennessee or Denver). I think Buffalo may take the final wild card if Jason Peters ends his hold out. If not, I think Houston can challenge for the last playoff spot if Schaub and Johnson are able to stay healthy. The Jets will be improved with Favre and their other additions, but I think they only get up to maybe .500 this year.

Flasteel
09-01-2008, 12:16 PM
And they are.....? Roll the drums a bit longer, keep the music going because I'm not all that sure just yet. Are you? Not that it matters all that much because ANY prediction at this early stage is more about hype and ego than reality.

All THAT SAID, and realize that I did say it, I'm going boldly forward where many NFL prosnosticators have tread before and predict the following:

AFC NORTH:
--The Steelers will make the playoffs at season's end. I don't know if it will be via the divisional championship or wild card but my sense is the AFC North is a bit down this year and the Steel looks to be the best of the bunch. Homerism for the Steeler board? Not really but I thought you guys would want to have confirmed what most, if not all of you, were thinking anyway.

Agreed. 10-6 or even 11-5 with at most one loss in the division.

AFC EAST:

Even though they've upgraded their oline and obviously QB position, I think if the Patsies do fail, it'll be Buffalo that steps into the void. That said, I don't see the Pats slipping too far (unless Brady goes down) and they take the division with a 10-6 record.

AFC SOUTH:
--I'm hearing all these inside and media rumors that Peyton is genuinely not ready to go do his deed for the first 4-6 games in 2008. This division is up for grabs, if true, so can we project Jax or maybe...Houston to fill the void? Maybe. But not likely. Until I see him on the IR list, I'll still pick the Colts to win in the South.

If Manning wasn't ready, then they wouldn't be going with only two QBs on the roster. This is a tough division and Garrard is not a flash in the pan, so it is possible that the Jags challenge. Both teams wind up being in the 10-6 range. I don't see the texans and certainly not Tennessee with Vince Young at QB taking the South crown...but definitely competitive.

AFC WEST:
--Oh boy. Here's the one I know best and yet, I'm thinking I don't know at all for 2008. San Diego is the sexy and safe pick for many reasons but then we have to consider the still gimpy knee of Rivers, the aging LT, and the questionable longevity of Merriman. Denver might be next in line but I think they're not quite ready for a run either. Oakland and the CHIEFS are too young so, let me hold my nose and go safe with SD although I'm troubled with this pick.

Who else is going to take this division? Cutler gives Denver a chance, but SD is still too talented. I don't think they'll look like world-beaters, but they are clearly the best team in this division. 11-5.

REVIEWING: Playoff teams at season's end: Steel, Jets, Colts, Chargers. Wild carders: Pats and......let's go with Jax. So says me. What says you?

Playoff Teams: Pittsburgh, New England, Jacksonville, San Diego, Indianapolis (WC), Buffalo (WC).

AFCC - Pittsburgh vs. San Diego

stlrz d
09-01-2008, 12:37 PM
My division winners:

Steelers
Broncos
Colts
Pasterisks

Cowboys
Vikings
Bucs
49ers

Wild cards:

Chargers
Jags

Saints
Packers

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-01-2008, 03:20 PM
I'll keep this brief:

Superbowl: Steelers/Cowboys

Winner: See my sig :D

Hardliner
09-01-2008, 05:05 PM
MOST excellent takes from everyone on this thread! We all could be geniuses or dunces given how it all plays out, you know? Something else to consider:

Every season, it seems, there is a darkhorse team (I'm going only AFC here) that emerges out of nowhere and becomes not only a playoff team but does considerable damage in the playoffs. In other words, this team arrives a year early.

My darkhorse pick this year is ....... Okay I have three:

Houston
Denver (It pains me to state this)
Buffalo

And of the 3? I'll go with....Houston.

AngryAsian
09-01-2008, 05:08 PM
Here is a shot:

Steelers 10-6
Browns 8-8
Bumgals 7-9
Ravens 6-10

I have a buddy who is a huge Patriot/Sox fan. He goes to every Steeler game at whatever Steeler watering hole we decide to go to for the games on Sunday. We have two 50 dollar bets. 1) The Patriots will not go to the SuperBowl and 2) The Steelers will finish above .500 this year. With your Pitt/SD AFCCG prediction I am assured both bets will swing my way. Thanks for the good MOJO.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-01-2008, 05:18 PM
MOST excellent takes from everyone on this thread! We all could be geniuses or dunces given how it all plays out, you know? Something else to consider:

Every season, it seems, there is a darkhorse team (I'm going only AFC here) that emerges out of nowhere and becomes not only a playoff team but does considerable damage in the playoffs. In other words, this team arrives a year early.

My darkhorse pick this year is ....... Okay I have three:

Houston
Denver (It pains me to state this)
Buffalo

And of the 3? I'll go with....Houston.

I'm a little leary of Houston also - OK, a lot leery, especially the first game of the season. I hope Ariens has about 80/20 plays called running to the right, to stay away from Mario Williams. And maybe half of the 20% going to the left being screens to sucker Williams in. If we don't keep Ben upright, it could be scary.

Rule #1 for Ben - Remember, Williams is big AND fast - throw the ball away sooner than you're used to!!

blacknblue80s
09-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Good layout stlrzd! I'm coppycatting.

AFC Division winners:

AFC EAST- Bills- their 1st team looked steller against ours
AFC NORTH- Steelers
AFC SOUTH- Colts
AFC WEST- Chargers

AFC Wild Cards:

Patriots
Jags- barely

AFCC: Steelers vs. Colts

NFC Division winners:

NFC EAST- Giants
NFC NORTH- Vikings (none of these teams are impressive)
NFC SOUTH- Panthers
NFC WEST- good grief!!! the NFC sucks... Seahawks??

Wildcards:

Cowboys
Saints

NFCC: Giants vs. Panthers

BURGH86STEEL
09-01-2008, 05:27 PM
AFC NORTH
1st - Pittsburgh
2nd - Cleveland
3rd - Cincy
4th - Ravens

AFC EAST
1st - NY Jets
2nd - New England
3rd - Buffalo
4th - Miami

AFC SOUTH
1st - Indy
2nd - Jacksonville
3rd - Houston
4th - Tennessee

AFC WEST
1st - San Diego
2nd - Oakland
3rd Denver
4th - Kansas City

NFC EAST
1st - Cowboys
2nd - Philly
3rd - Giants
4th - Washington

NFC SOUTH
1st - New Orleans
2nd - Tampa Bay
3rd - Carolina
4th - Atlanta

NFC NORTH
1st - Minnesota
2nd - Bears
3rd - GB
4th - Lions

NFC WEST
1st - Cards
2nd - Hawks
3rd - St. Louis
4th - 49ners

AkronSteel
09-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Alright I'll give this a shot:

AFC North:
Steelers = 3rd Seed
Browns: very disappointing
Bengals: Marvin is fired by Wild Card Weekend
Ravens: Team with no direction

AFC East:
Patriots = 1st Seed
Jets = 5th Seed
Bills: Just miss playoffs, in contention until week 16
Dolphins: very improved

AFC South:
Jaguars = 4th Seed
Texans = 6th Seed
Colts: A big let down with Lucas Oil just opening, Saturday is a huge loss.
Titans: VY is benched by the time the Steelers arrive in December

AFC West:
Chargers = 2nd Seed
Broncos: contend for playoffs but blow it late.
Raiders: much improved in the 2nd half of the year
Chiefs: a year of rebuilding

Wild Cards: Jets, Texans

AFCC: Steelers @ Patriots = time for revenge on their turf!

NFC East
Cowboys = 1st Seed
Giants: injuries cripple the defending Super Bowl champs
Eagles: DMac signs with Chicago in offseason after disappointing year in Philly
Redskins: Is Billy in DC next year?

NFC North
Packers = 2nd Seed
Vikings = 5th Seed
Lions: better than people give them credit for, Rogers is addition by subtraction
Bears: no quaterback, not many wins!

NFC South
Saints = 3rd Seed
Buccaneeers: no team has ever repeated in the NFC South and it won't happen this year
Panthers: John Fox is fired at the end of the year.
Falcons: maybe the worst team in the league, will be lucky to win 4 games.

NFC West
Cardinals = 4th Seed
Seahawks = 6th Seed
49ers: Nolan is fired by week 12
Rams: this team may be headed back to LA.

Wild Cards: Vikings, Seahawks
NFC Championship: Green Bay @ Dallas = Aaron Rodgers leads his team to the Super Bowl!

Steelers VS. Packers - Super Bowl XLIII
MVP: Ben Roethlisberger

Now that sounds like a good year! :)

:tt2 :tt1 :brownssuck :bungalssuck :ratsuck