PDA

View Full Version : Any point in even considering Willie Anderson?

RussBII
08-30-2008, 06:33 PM
I don't know anything about this guy. I thought he was the Bengals best OL. Or is that true and it just doesn't amount to much?

Also, w/ the rumors about the team shopping some excess OL....

Thoughts?

-Russ

Ozey74
08-30-2008, 06:39 PM
For the vet mininium. But it sounds like he wants to get paid. I'm sure there is a team around that will give it to him.

If I was Willie Anderson, I would take less to go with a winner. A team that would give me a chance to win a ring.

He has played for a loser for so long, wouldn't he want to know what it is like to win?

ramblinjim
08-30-2008, 06:42 PM
For the vet mininium. But it sounds like he wants to get paid. I'm sure there is a team around that will give it to him.

If I was Willie Anderson, I would take less to go with a winner. A team that would give me a chance to win a ring.

He has played for a loser for so long, wouldn't he want to know what it is like to win?

I'm with ya Ozie, if he would play for either the Vet Min or at least a very reasonable deal, I would take a shot with this guy and gamble on the injury issues. Between him and Marvel, we'd have one Left Tackle!

:Cheers

:bungalssuck

Ozey74
08-30-2008, 06:43 PM

I'm with ya Ozie, if he would play for either the Vet Min or at least a very reasonable deal, I would take a shot with this guy and gamble on the injury issues. Between him and Marvel, we'd have one Left Tackle!

:Cheers

Also, he has a knowledge of what's in the Bengals playbook. Not that the Steelers would need it.

NKySteeler
08-30-2008, 06:43 PM
I would say "NO".... Most of the tread has been worn off those tires.... And from what I've heard around here in Cincy, his "widely publicized injury mis-diagnosis" from last year, that resulted in surgery, is still bothering him (at least it was while in camp the last few weeks)... Yes, I think he was cut because he wouldn't take a pay-cut (would we want to pay him what he wants?), but he is old, large, and has a lingering issue medically.... So no, I wouldn't even look at him...

NKySteeler
08-30-2008, 06:44 PM
I would say "NO".... Most of the tread has been worn off those tires.... And from what I've heard around here in Cincy, his "widely publicized injury mis-diagnosis" from last year, that resulted in surgery, is still bothering him (at least it was while in camp the last few weeks)... Yes, I think he was cut because he wouldn't take a pay-cut (would we want to pay him what he wants?), but he is old, large, and has a lingering issue medically.... So no, I wouldn't even look at him...

Ozey74
08-30-2008, 06:46 PM
Also, it sounds like Willie is pissed that he got released.

Is there a better way to get back at your ex-girlfriend than to date her arch rival???

BigBen2112
08-30-2008, 06:46 PM

Sounds alot like our current LT! Old, Large, and Injury prone.

At least when he's healthy he's a moderately capable player, unlike 4/5ths of our OL!

RuthlessBurgher
08-30-2008, 10:48 PM
I mentioned in another thread that I would try to sign him to a reasonable two year deal. This year, he would be insurance in case Marvel's back gives out or Colon falls on his face. Max could then concentrate on being a full time 3rd blocking TE option in short yardage and goal line situations. Next year, he could be a possible veteran starter if we don't re-sign Smith, Starks, or Essex, and if Hills (or the rookie we should be drafting on the first day next April) is not ready for prime-time just yet. He may take less to come here because we are the only team that offers the most desirable combination of playing for a winner when he has been a loser for so long, and sticking it to your ex-employers by signing with their arch-rivals and playing them twice per season.

LasVegasGuy
08-31-2008, 01:07 PM
Yes, yes and triple yes. At 80% he is probably better then the scrubs we have. I agree injuries might be a problem but he did make it through camp O.K. so I would have to think if he passed a physical for us he might be alright. Give him a 1 year contract, let him pancake the Bengals all day and if he makes it to week 15 start looking at a 2 or 3 year deal. If he doesn't then we eat a 1 year deal, no biggie especially if you cut Mahan in the process.

Jom112
08-31-2008, 06:23 PM
Willie can still play, it was just a money issue. He won't be able to practice but come gameday he can still hold his own. He is definitely not the player he was two years ago, but he's still better than a lot of players in this league...