PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic - Pitt Football...

Steel Life
08-30-2008, 03:18 PM
It's hard to believe that DW was once in contention for coaching the Steelers... :Hater

How does he keep getting chances?

NKySteeler
08-30-2008, 03:21 PM
He must have some dirt on the AD or something... :lol:

Both my father and grandfather are Pitt alums, and I held season tix for quite a while... I just don't understand how he can keep delivering a sub-par product and keep his job.... And the crap about him being a "hometown kid" doesn't hold weight anymore...

... Todays' debacle against BG is a classic example of underachievement, IMO.

AkronSteel
08-30-2008, 03:23 PM
The Panthers look terrible! I think the Stache needs to be let go, he is terrible. The Panthers are never ready to go Week 1.

On a side note, Beanie Wells went down today for OSU, don't know the extent of the injury but it didn't look good! :(

Steel Life
08-30-2008, 03:26 PM

Both my father and grandfather are Pitt alums, and I held season tix for quite a while... I just don't understand how he can keep delivering a sub-par product and keep his job.... And the crap about him being a "hometown kid" doesn't hold weight anymore...

Well those pictures must had the brass from the Dolphins in them too, because he did the same exact thing down here. Ricky Williams won't even talk about him because he felt that DW was going to get him killed & always promised to make the passing game a threat to take the pressure off of him.

Les 74
08-30-2008, 05:52 PM
The Panthers look terrible! I think the Stache needs to be let go, he is terrible.

The "Stache" never should have been hired in the first place.Terrible coach. :HeadBanger

MeetJoeGreene
08-30-2008, 06:01 PM

Penn State looked bad today too. They only won 66-10
:stirpot :twisted:

MeetJoeGreene
08-30-2008, 06:05 PM

Les 74
08-30-2008, 06:05 PM

Yeah,they beat a real BCS powerhouse in Coastal Carolina. :lol: :lol:

NKySteeler
08-30-2008, 06:17 PM
In my opinion, DW came into town and tried to go back to a running game (3 yds and a cloud of dust style) that didn't fit with what Walt Harris had developed, and with the players that were there... Now, DW has had time to recruit his own players (I keep hearing how good of a recruiter he is) and is still not producing. ... BTW, they were the only team with a losing record that made the pre-season top 25 (at number #25 before todays' result knocks them out)... I realize that he is a local product, but he needs to go. He is simply not getting the job done, and in my opinion, never will....

Les 74
08-30-2008, 06:21 PM
In my opinion, DW came into town and tried to go back to a running game (3 yds and a cloud of dust style) that didn't fit with what Walt Harris had developed, and with the players that were there... Now, DW has had time to recruit his own players (I keep hearing how good of a recruiter he is) and is still not producing. ... BTW, they were the only team with a losing record that made the pre-season top 25 (at number #25 before todays' result knocks them out)... I realize that he is a local product, but he needs to go. He is simply not getting the job done, and in my opinion, never will....

:Agree :Clap :Clap :Clap

SteelStallion
08-30-2008, 06:43 PM
I heard the game on the radio. They were outcoached in all three phases. They started the season loaded with talent and a #25 ranking. This was supposed to be their breakout season. They sold 35000 season tickets and had 45000 at the game. This was supposed to be their breakout season after a number of years of disappointments and rationalizations- injuries, talent pool, depth, ect, ect. This home debacle basically ruins their season. And the coaching staff is out of excuses. It seems that the criticisms that plagued Wannstedt and Cavanaugh during their NFL careers followed them to Pitt and it's more of the same. And historically Pitt has not shown the willingness to shell out the bucks for marquee coaching so I don't know what they'll do now. I'll still root for them, and they could still get some nice wins this year but the future is uncertain. I feel bad for the Pitt students and fans.

NKySteeler
08-30-2008, 07:01 PM
I heard the game on the radio. They were outcoached in all three phases. They started the season loaded with talent and a #25 ranking. This was supposed to be their breakout season. They sold 35000 season tickets and had 45000 at the game. This was supposed to be their breakout season after a number of years of disappointments and rationalizations- injuries, talent pool, depth, ect, ect. This home debacle basically ruins their season. And the coaching staff is out of excuses. It seems that the criticisms that plagued Wannstedt and Cavanaugh during their NFL careers followed them to Pitt and it's more of the same. And historically Pitt has not shown the willingness to shell out the bucks for marquee coaching so I don't know what they'll do now. I'll still root for them, and they could still get some nice wins this year but the future is uncertain. I feel bad for the Pitt students and fans.

Man, you hit it square on the head..... But at least this was a non-conference game, and they can still have a shot at the Big East.... But extremely disappointing nonetheless...

BURGH86STEEL
08-30-2008, 07:56 PM
I will say this in DW defense. It is very difficult to win games when the players turn the ball over 4 times.

Ghost
09-02-2008, 11:05 AM
DW played not to lose instead of playing to win. I know that's cliche but when your team is up 14 -0 over a VERY beatable opponent you pour it on. Pitt has some speed and they were not going down field. Not trying for a TD before the half is criminal. Points are great but it sends a crappy message to the team when you don't look as if you have the killer instinct. FG's over TD's are not the way to go.

If Pitt loses against Buffalo next week then DW should be fired before he leaves the field. This team has the talent to win 7 games and make a bowl game this season.

frankthetank1
09-02-2008, 11:36 AM
i never understood why they got rid of walt harris just to hire dw. harris was a much better recruiter. dw is the most in ept coach i have seen in any level. he has never been a good coach. losing at home to bowling green is an absolute joke. i have no idea why pitt was even ranked. these rankings before the season starts are always so far off. clemson at #9, thats funny

Oviedo
09-02-2008, 12:44 PM
It's hard to believe that DW was once in contention for coaching the Steelers... :Hater

How does he keep getting chances?

He is being about as successful at Pitt as Russ Grimm would have been for the Steelers. Some people are just players and coordinators and need to know where they fit.

Wannstedt is an embrassment as a head coach and hopefully he is gone after this year.

papillon
09-02-2008, 03:20 PM
i never understood why they got rid of walt harris just to hire dw. harris was a much better recruiter. dw is the most in ept coach i have seen in any level. he has never been a good coach. losing at home to bowling green is an absolute joke. i have no idea why pitt was even ranked. these rankings before the season starts are always so far off. clemson at #9, thats funny

Harris didn't want to be at Pitt any longer and want ed to move back to California. he had also ticked off most of the High School coaches in Western Pennsylavania to the point that attempting to recruit any pf the good local talent was useless.

The Pitt program went down hill from the time they wouldn't pay Jackie sherrill to stay and thought that any Tom, Dick and Harry would be able to keep the program moving forward. They hired Foge Fazio who is a great guy and an awesome defensive coordinator, but, was a lousy head coach.

The Pitt program went into a tailspin that it could never recover from and that's where we're at today.

The facilities are top notch and high school football players will want to com and play there, but, they have to hire the coach that has no ties to the school or the city, IMHO.

Maybe I'm wrong, but, I don't see Wannstadt being successful at Pitt. Cavanaugh is a great guy and former Pitt player that any Pitt fan loves, but, he's a horrible offensive coordinator. He's proven that at Baltimore and now at Pitt.

Pappy