PDA

View Full Version : A Look At Those Battling For Jobs....

NKySteeler
08-29-2008, 02:46 PM
A look at those battling for jobs with Steelers
By JIM WEXELL
For The Tribune-Democrat

PITTSBURGH — The preseason finale meant so little to the Carolina Panthers, their first team didn’t even play. The Steelers’ starters played less than a quarter before the real game took place for the “11th-hour” jobs. Here’s the breakdown of the roster jobs that were on the line Thursday night:

Fourth quarterback: Charlie Batch is a terrific team leader who helps Ben Roethlisberger on the sidelines during games and gets rookies into their meetings during the week, but Batch will most likely be given an injury settlement, cut, and, if needed, picked up later in the season.

Third tight end: Injuries have turned this into a battle of longshots.

Lee Vickers was pushed around during his limited appearance in the first half.

The man in front of him on the depth chart, undrafted rookie Dezmond Sherrod, showed better blocking skills, and climbed the proverbial ladder to snare a third-down pass, but he also dropped a third-quarter pass. Waiver wire could win this job.

Fifth offensive tackle: With three tackles – Marvel Smith, Max Starks, Trai Essex – in the final years of contracts, and a fourth, Willie Colon, due to become a restricted free agent, fourth-round pick Tony Hills might be a necessity for the future.

He played poorly early this preseason, but picked up his game a bit and made no glaring errors last night. Hills, though, wouldn’t help the Steelers this season and could make it back through waivers and onto the practice squad.

Fifth wide receiver: Eddie Drummond was down to his last chance to impress, according to coach Mike Tomlin, and he fair caught one punt, returned another against third-teamers for five yards and couldn’t return it back to the 30 late in the fourth quarter. So the race here is down to diminutive Willie Reid and 6-foot-3 Dallas Baker, who caught a first-half pass, broke a tackle, and gained 33 yards. He was greeted on the sideline by an ebullient Ben Roethlisberger, who took Baker under his wing last spring. Reid played well against Minnesota and probably has the edge because of his marginal return skills. Statistically, Baker caught 8 passes for 115 yards this preseason. Reid caught 9 for 81.

Linebacker – A torn ACL by Arnold Harrison may have locked up a job for Andre Frazier, and may also have helped disappointing rookie third-round pick Bruce Davis, who was blocked all night by the second- and third-team Carolina left tackles. Fifth-round pick Mike Humpal has been injured and probably won’t make the roster. Undrafted rookies Patrick Bailey and Donovan Woods made late bids last night. Bailey made three consecutive special-teams tackles and Woods flashed up the middle for a sack and then a crushing pressure. Both are practice-squad contenders.

Defensive back – Expect 10 to be kept, with Roy Lewis, Anthony Madison and Tyrone Carter battling for the final two spots. Carter didn’t play last night after starting three games in place of Troy Polamalu. Madison has given the Steelers quality gunner play. The undrafted Lewis plays corner and safety, played the ball well last night (before giving up the game-tying touchdown), is physical, and covers kicks. Lewis could probably sneak through waivers and onto the practice squad.

Defensive line – Orpheus Roye has played well enough to ease fears about depth. He’ll likely become the sixth and last lineman behind Travis Kirschke.

Punter – Waiver Wire might be the leader here, too. Paul Ernster had another dull performance last night, but can kickoff in an emergency. Mitch Berger appears to be a natural holder, but has a history of horrific groin injuries. Berger had the better preseason average, 46.3 to 41.9.

papillon
08-29-2008, 02:50 PM
I've mentioned this before about the 3rd tight end. We're talking about a guy that comes in for jumbo packages, correct? Goal line, 4th and one, etc. any time you're looking for beef.

I say give the 3rd TE job to Starks, keep an extra WR and if one of the two TEs gets injured, then you go get a TE and release a WR to the PS or whatever the protocol demands.

Baker and Reid have both proven that they should be on the 53 man roster IMO and I would hate to lose one of them to another team right now.

2 cents

Pappy

NKySteeler
08-29-2008, 02:57 PM
I've mentioned this before about the 3rd tight end. We're talking about a guy that comes in for jumbo packages, correct? Goal line, 4th and one, etc. any time you're looking for beef.

I say give the 3rd TE job to Starks, keep an extra WR and if one of the two TEs gets injured, then you go get a TE and release a WR to the PS or whatever the protocol demands.

Baker and Reid have both proven that they should be on the 53 man roster IMO and I would hate to lose one of them to another team right now.
2 cents

Pappy

I still have no faith in Reid.... He will end up getting hurt and spending the year on the sideline again.... (Sorry O, just my opinion...).

The only thing I wouldn't like about that plan, Pap, is that what quality TE would be out there in the middle of the season, and he wouldn't know the system (unless it was the guy we cut).

...BTW, has anyone noticed that the "2 cents" emoticon is actually "20 cents"?... it shows "...00.2"... Shouldn't it show "...0.02".....??? :lol: :lol:

papillon
08-29-2008, 03:43 PM

2 cents

Pappy

I still have no faith in Reid.... He will end up getting hurt and spending the year on the sideline again.... (Sorry O, just my opinion...).

The only thing I wouldn't like about that plan, Pap, is that what quality TE would be out there in the middle of the season, and he wouldn't know the system (unless it was the guy we cut).

...BTW, has anyone noticed that the "2 cents" emoticon is actually "20 cents"?... it shows "...00.2"... Shouldn't it show "...0.02".....??? :lol: :lol:

I like Reid and think he'll be fine, if, for no other reason than his experience with the Steelers. I just don't want to see Baker get released and playing for another team. He seems to be developing into a good receiver. The two guys battling for the third spot now are about what would be out there in the middle of the season. One of them will be looking for work after Saturday.

Let me try the 2 cents smiley, ah, I mean the 20 cent smiley. This post is 10 times better than the last one anyhow. :P :2c

Pappy

AkronSteel
08-29-2008, 03:48 PM
I don't think the intention was to only use our 3rd TE as a short yardage or goal line player. If everyone remembers correctly Arians used 3 TE sets last year early on until Tuman got hurt, and they actually were fairly productive. I would like to see what is on the waiver wire before just handing the job over to Starks.

papillon
08-29-2008, 03:50 PM
I don't think the intention was to only use our 3rd TE as a short yardage or goal line player. If everyone remembers correctly Arians used 3 TE sets last year early on until Tuman got hurt, and they actually were fairly productive. I would like to see what is on the waiver wire before just handing the job over to Starks.

That could be, I can't recall right now. I just have a feeling that Reid and Baker will be successful somewhere in the NFL. I'd like it to be with the Steelers.

Pappy

AkronSteel
08-29-2008, 03:57 PM

That could be, I can't recall right now. I just have a feeling that Reid and Baker will be successful somewhere in the NFL. I'd like it to be with the Steelers.

Pappy

I would like to keep both too, but I think it gives the team more team flexibility if they can find a solid 3rd TE on the wire. There are always players available I would like to see the team be aggressive tomorrow.

NKySteeler
08-29-2008, 04:14 PM
I really think Baker will prove to be a quality stud in the arsenal for Ben... Especially in the red-zone...

steelblood
08-29-2008, 06:14 PM
Baker?

I'm not sure what you all are seeing. I see a guy who gets very little separation, has trouble bending over, doesn't jump well, fails miserably when trying to block in the open field, and has dropped his share of balls this preseason.

I think Reid has earned his spot this preseason. I'm not convinced he'll be great. But, he is a quick receiver. If we are keeping Sweed, we could use a quick receiver not a tall guy with limited athletic ability.

P Bailey (the duke linebacker).- special teams are crucial. i'm not sure he'll have much success against top special teams units. but, he was very impressive.

punter - this worries me. our punter will get a lot of work and must hold on extra points. we'll certainly be auditioning guys on Sunday and that troubles me.

NKySteeler
08-29-2008, 06:20 PM
Baker?

I'm not sure what you all are seeing. I see a guy who gets very little separation, has trouble bending over, doesn't jump well, fails miserably when trying to block in the open field, and has dropped his share of balls this preseason.

They all have... Especially Sweed.

...Maybe because I'm a bit of a Florida fan, and watched Baker produce time and time again in the red-zone, but I think he can do it on this level as well... Time will tell, I guess...

steelblood
08-29-2008, 06:24 PM
Baker?

They all have... Especially Sweed.

...Maybe because I'm a bit of a Florida fan, and watched Baker produce time and time again in the red-zone, but I think he can do it on this level as well... Time will tell, I guess...

I liked watching him in college too. But, he's just not as athletic or quick enough, IMHO. He has limited usefulness to this team and requires Ben to be too fine (because of his lack of speed and quickness). But, as my wife reminds me, I've been wrong many times. One of these young receivers needs to step up, and quickly. An injury or two to our top three could be devastating.

buckeyehoppy
08-29-2008, 07:58 PM
All this talk about marginal players making the final cut has me wondering...just who in the 2008 draft class has any mojo to play in the NFL?

Holy crap! The UDFAs are out-performing the draft picks. Now, to be fair, both sixth round picks have been hurt. Then again, it appears that neither will make the team and that one of the two (perhaps both) will not go to the practice squad.

Hills will probably make the cut because he is something of a project and, quite frankly, the Steelers can't afford to expose a player to being cut who just may be needed by the start of next season at the latest. With three looming UFAs, this guy appears to be a lock to make the squad by default no matter how disappointing he has seemed to look. He is at a difficult position to learn and the learning curve is ridiculous to begin with.

Bruce Davis was a head scratcher of a pick to begin with. Now, I'm scratching like I need a lifetime supply of Head and Shoulders. What was Colbert thinking with this one when the Steelers needed line depth on both sides of the ball?

The Steelers caught lightning in a bottle getting Sweed to fall to them in the 2nd. Was there something more to this than the Steelers just getting lucky? I hope not. But Sweed didn't have a great camp. It's obvious, at this point, why Sweed fell out of the first and why I felt he wasn't first round caliber in the first place. To be fair, I think he will work through his issues and be a pretty good receiver. But I hope that he can make the appropriate adjustments to be able to contribute ASAP.

The only pick, so far, to have earned any real consideration long term is Dixon. I'm glad that it has worked well for DD so far, because the knee injury was a real concern. He appears to be the backup for the future and, possibly, much more as he continues to develop.

I think Bailey, Woods and Lewis will be the primary causes of Tomlin's insomnia tonight. I have no idea what Colbert's problem is with the draft. But, so far, he gets a very charitable C grade for his draft. He saves himself with the UDFAs he pulls out of his @$$. But that can't keep happening if the Steelers expect to contend year in, year out in the ensuing years.

BigBen2112
08-29-2008, 09:29 PM
All this talk about marginal players making the final cut has me wondering...just who in the 2008 draft class has any mojo to play in the NFL?

Holy crap! The UDFAs are out-performing the draft picks. Now, to be fair, both sixth round picks have been hurt. Then again, it appears that neither will make the team and that one of the two (perhaps both) will not go to the practice squad.

Hills will probably make the cut because he is something of a project and, quite frankly, the Steelers can't afford to expose a player to being cut who just may be needed by the start of next season at the latest. With three looming UFAs, this guy appears to be a lock to make the squad by default no matter how disappointing he has seemed to look. He is at a difficult position to learn and the learning curve is ridiculous to begin with.

Bruce Davis was a head scratcher of a pick to begin with. Now, I'm scratching like I need a lifetime supply of Head and Shoulders. What was Colbert thinking with this one when the Steelers needed line depth on both sides of the ball?

The Steelers caught lightning in a bottle getting Sweed to fall to them in the 2nd. Was there something more to this than the Steelers just getting lucky? I hope not. But Sweed didn't have a great camp. It's obvious, at this point, why Sweed fell out of the first and why I felt he wasn't first round caliber in the first place. To be fair, I think he will work through his issues and be a pretty good receiver. But I hope that he can make the appropriate adjustments to be able to contribute ASAP.

The only pick, so far, to have earned any real consideration long term is Dixon. I'm glad that it has worked well for DD so far, because the knee injury was a real concern. He appears to be the backup for the future and, possibly, much more as he continues to develop.

I think Bailey, Woods and Lewis will be the primary causes of Tomlin's insomnia tonight. I have no idea what Colbert's problem is with the draft. But, so far, he gets a very charitable C grade for his draft. He saves himself with the UDFAs he pulls out of his @$$. But that can't keep happening if the Steelers expect to contend year in, year out in the ensuing years.

Completely agree on the above points...a couple things to add:

I dont like bruce davis in the least, never did.

What we should have done was taken an OL and then take DL instead of Hills.

The lack of GOOD depth at LB I feel is a problem that Davis doesnt fill, and the lack of good, young linemen is something that has and will continue to plague our team.
:2c

buckeyehoppy
08-29-2008, 11:48 PM

The lack of GOOD depth at LB I feel is a problem that Davis doesnt fill, and the lack of good, young linemen is something that has and will continue to plague our team.

I was good with the Hills pick, particularly where the Steelers got him. His case is somewhat unique. But, because that's the case, the Steelers really should have taken an OL in the 3rd as well as taking Hills.

The thing that p!$$ed me off about this last draft is that Hills was the only OL pick and the Steelers drafted 0 DL. That, for the record, was a mistake. And it will be an even bigger mistake if and when the Steelers have injury difficulty on either line.

And yeah, yeah, yeah someone (or someones) should step up and make us forget that the O and D lines were virtually ignored save for a LT project that has limited range to play other line positions. But, if he hits at LT, he'll be worth the wait.

However, that is a gamble that the Steelers will be hoping, not expecting most certainly, pays off in the end.

BigBen2112
08-30-2008, 10:09 AM

I was good with the Hills pick, particularly where the Steelers got him. His case is somewhat unique. But, because that's the case, the Steelers really should have taken an OL in the 3rd as well as taking Hills.

The thing that p!$$ed me off about this last draft is that Hills was the only OL pick and the Steelers drafted 0 DL. That, for the record, was a mistake. And it will be an even bigger mistake if and when the Steelers have injury difficulty on either line.

And yeah, yeah, yeah someone (or someones) should step up and make us forget that the O and D lines were virtually ignored save for a LT project that has limited range to play other line positions. But, if he hits at LT, he'll be worth the wait.

However, that is a gamble that the Steelers will be hoping, not expecting most certainly, pays off in the end.

Just an example of things that I would feel BETTER about if we had done:
3. Anthony Collins/Oniel Cousins/Mike McGlynn/Red Bryant/Cliff Avril/Beau Bell
4. Jonathan Goff/Frank Okam/Roy Schuening/Alvin Bowen/Carl Nicks
5. Dixon is fine I guess, but I think we could have gotten him lower, but that opinion
6. Ahtyba Rubin/Steve Justice/Andre Woodson

I mean you cant fault the front office for not hitting on all picks, but the problem is in later rounds it just seems like they give up. I would have been very happy with a draft of:
1. Mendenhall
2. Sweed
3. Anthony Collins OT/Cliff Avril/Beau Bell
4. Roy Schuening/Orlando Scandrick CB
5. Jonathan Goff LB/
6. Ahtyba Rubin DT/Steven Justice C
6. Andre Woodson QB

With the way the draft unfolded those would probably have been the final ways that we could have gone about things.

-3. Anthony Collins/Cliff Avril/Beau Bell any and ALL of these would have been better picks than Davis in my mind...Avril has 2.5 sacks and more tackles than Davis, while Anthony Collins has played a good T position for Cincinnati
-4. Schuening/ScandrickBecause I think we need help at CB I probably would have gone with Scandrick here...who has played pretty damn well in Dallas thus far while Schuening has started games for the Rams already
-5. Jonathan Goff--He hasn't been productive, yet neither has Davis and I think Goff has more upside than Davis...while both are lower than what a pick here or in the THIRD round should be
-6. Ahtyba Rubin/Justice--Rubin has 10 tackles for the spuds in Cleveland/Justice has played WELL for the Colts at center, so much that he started their last game and could start more with the injury to Saturday...this would really have helped our OL.
-6. Andre Woodson--hasnt played exceptionally well this pre-season, nor as well as Dixon, but why is that important? We have had capable backups and dont really need our 3rd string--eventual 2nd string--QB to be lights out amazing right now anyways

The way it should have gone was athleticism and skill the first couple rounds and then find the good talented L that slip through the cracks:
1. Mendenhall
2. Sweed
3. Cliff Avril
4. Roy Schuening
5. Dennis Dixon
6. Ahtyba Rubin
6. Steve Justice

That would have been a dynamic draft. We'd right now have more competition at C between Justice/Hartwig/Mahan...we'd have more competition at G with Schuening. We'd still have Dennis Dixon for everyone to drool over. We'd have Cliff Avril who was arguably at the time a better pick than Davis and has produced better thus far in the preseason as well. We'd also get some much needed depth along the DL by getting Rubin who is more than capable of playing in our scheme and helping us out.

The fact that we went about the draft AGAIN without an eye on the lines means that next year we'll again need to acquire 3-4 OL/DL at minimum, which I dont have any faith in the FO to do.

Its kinda scary actually.

SteelerNation1
08-30-2008, 11:15 AM

5. Dixon is fine I guess, but I think we could have gotten him lower, but that opinion

I mean you cant fault the front office for not hitting on all picks, but the problem is in later rounds it just seems like they give up. I would have been very happy with a draft of:
1. Mendenhall
2. Sweed
5. Jonathan Goff LB/
6. Andre Woodson QB

With the way the draft unfolded those would probably have been the final ways that we could have gone about things.

-3. Anthony Collins/Cliff Avril/Beau Bell any and ALL of these would have been better picks than Davis in my mind...Avril has 2.5 sacks and more tackles than Davis, while Anthony Collins has played a good T position for Cincinnati
-4. Schuening/ScandrickBecause I think we need help at CB I probably would have gone with Scandrick here...who has played pretty damn well in Dallas thus far while Schuening has started games for the Rams already
-5. Jonathan Goff--He hasn't been productive, yet neither has Davis and I think Goff has more upside than Davis...while both are lower than what a pick here or in the THIRD round should be
-6. Ahtyba Rubin/Justice--Rubin has 10 tackles for the spuds in Cleveland/Justice has played WELL for the Colts at center, so much that he started their last game and could start more with the injury to Saturday...this would really have helped our OL.
-6. Andre Woodson--hasnt played exceptionally well this pre-season, nor as well as Dixon, but why is that important? We have had capable backups and dont really need our 3rd string--eventual 2nd string--QB to be lights out amazing right now anyways

The way it should have gone was athleticism and skill the first couple rounds and then find the good talented L that slip through the cracks:
1. Mendenhall
2. Sweed
3. Cliff Avril
4. Roy Schuening
5. Dennis Dixon
6. Ahtyba Rubin
6. Steve Justice

That would have been a dynamic draft. We'd right now have more competition at C between Justice/Hartwig/Mahan...we'd have more competition at G with Schuening. We'd still have Dennis Dixon for everyone to drool over. We'd have Cliff Avril who was arguably at the time a better pick than Davis and has produced better thus far in the preseason as well. We'd also get some much needed depth along the DL by getting Rubin who is more than capable of playing in our scheme and helping us out.

The fact that we went about the draft AGAIN without an eye on the lines means that next year we'll again need to acquire 3-4 OL/DL at minimum, which I dont have any faith in the FO to do.

Nice post. Hind sight is always 20/20 though. Bruce Davis may be a stud in 09. The thing that frightens me is next year's oline. If we lose Starks, Smith, and Kemo, who the hell plays??? We are going to have bring in 2 oline FA's and still draft a couple. The dline will be fine this yr IMO. Gotta stay healthy and then in 09 invest at least picks. The trouble with the a Colbert dilneman is it usually takes them a yr or two to get the system down and contribute, if they contribute at all (Big Snack being the exception).

buckeyehoppy
08-30-2008, 01:06 PM

1. Mendenhall
2. Sweed
5. Jonathan Goff LB/
6. Andre Woodson QB

1. Mendenhall
2. Sweed
3. Cliff Avril
4. Roy Schuening
5. Dennis Dixon
6. Ahtyba Rubin
6. Steve Justice

Nice post. Hind sight is always 20/20 though. Bruce Davis may be a stud in 09. The thing that frightens me is next year's oline. If we lose Starks, Smith, and Kemo, who the hell plays??? We are going to have bring in 2 oline FA's and still draft a couple. The dline will be fine this yr IMO. Gotta stay healthy and then in 09 invest at least picks. The trouble with the a Colbert dilneman is it usually takes them a yr or two to get the system down and contribute, if they contribute at all (Big Snack being the exception).

20/20 is the best vision in hindsight, but still not bad when making an observation. Well done, BB.

I liked Collins and felt that he would have been a good long range T on either side. Cousins was the same way for me, only amplified.

It's not that Davis won't round into a good player in time. But do you really use a 3rd rounder on a player like that? Not when the Steelers had more obvious needs on both interior lines.

SN1, I think the Steelers will sign Kemo and possibly Smith, too, if the deal is club friendly. Having all three of them come up at once is rough. It's also the reason Hills makes the team. They is no shortage of logic to suggest that having a player already in the system who isn't a train wreck is an advantage.

That would be Hills. As I've said before, he is a project with a single focus in mind...being the LT for the next 10 years. That wouldn't be a bad return for a late 4th Rounder. But it doesn't address RT and it doesn't address depth.

And that's where I have a problem with Colbert and the talent evaluating abilities of his brain fart trust. I don't think there is an adequate person in the Steelers organization right now that has a clue on how to build an OL :2c But as time marches on, this problem is becoming more and more obvious.

The Steelers are in a real pickle now if the team doesn't stay healthy on the OL or DL because the personnel they have selected for both units doesn't have adequate backup and, at least in the case of the OL, the starters have a question mark at certain points.

RuthlessBurgher
08-30-2008, 04:06 PM
When we were on the clock in the first, I was chanting for Mendenhall...and got him.

When we were on the clock in the second, I was chanting for Sweed...and got him.

When we were on the clock in the third, I was chanting for Collins...no dice.

I was surprised they went for a LB in the 3rd after taking one in the 1st and 2nd the year before. I had a 2nd round grade on Collins, so when he was available in the 3rd, I was surprised at our good fortune, especially since several of the other o-linemen that had 2nd round grades in my mind were overdrafted in the 1st by other teams.

In the 4th, my focus shifted to the DL, because a couple of guys that I also had 2nd round grades on had slid into the 4th. I would have been happy with either Dre Moore or Red Bryant and hoped one of them would fall to us. When Moore was taken by the Bucs 8 picks before us, that is when I would have started calling teams, offering our 6th round pick to move up so we wouldn't lose out on Bryant. Alas, that didn't happen, and Seattle took him 2 spots ahead of us. With our guy now off the board, we traded down in the 4th instead, picking up an extra 6th.

If things went the way I had hoped, I would have been extremely satisfied with drafting only 5 guys:

1. Rashard Mendenhall
2. Limas Sweed
3. Anthony Collins
4. Red Bryant
5. Dennis Dixon

Although we wouldn't have Davis, Hills, Humpal, or Mundy, we could have solidified the depth on both lines (our most glaring needs) while still taking the electrifying skill players who were too tempting to pass on when they fell to us.