PDA

View Full Version : First team on the field last night ... thumbs up or down?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-29-2008, 09:36 AM
I only heard the game on dve.com, it sounded like we were challenged by a bunch of scrubs.

For those that saw the game ... what was the real story (when our 1st team was in)?

Jigawatts
08-29-2008, 10:47 AM
Solid run D

Soft pass D

Offensive line doesn't look cohesive.

Parker looked good.

Mendenhall looked good other than the fumble.

Special teams coverage actually looked solid.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-29-2008, 11:52 AM
Solid run D

Soft pass D

Parker looked good.

Mendenhall looked good other than the fumble.

Special teams coverage actually looked solid.

Maybe I don't have the right perspective, but this worries me since it occurred against Panthers' 2nd team or scrubs...

NKySteeler
08-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Soft pass D

Maybe I don't have the right perspective, but this worries me since it occurred against Panthers' 2nd team or scrubs...

Same here.... I didn't get to see it either, so I'll be watching the re-airing at 2pm...

Ozey74
08-29-2008, 01:26 PM
Solid run D & a not so solid pass D?? Sounds like the same old story.

papillon
08-29-2008, 02:13 PM
Fourth pre-season game, eh, they play for real next weekend. We'll know then if the pass "D" is struggling or not, we'll also find out about Marvel, because, Mario Williams is one of the best defensive ends in the game.

Don't let this one bother you too much, the 4th pre-season game is even more irrelevant than the 1st, for the starters anyhow.

Pappy

AkronSteel
08-29-2008, 03:54 PM
I'm comfortable with the starters. I think the D will be fine. I actually have no worries about the D. I expect them to be top 5 again. The offense will be fine too, the O Line needs some cohesiveness but it will come with more reps. I actually thought that the fumble last night was Ben's fault, but maybe that is just me.

NKySteeler
08-29-2008, 04:46 PM
I'm comfortable with the starters. I think the D will be fine. I actually have no worries about the D. I expect them to be top 5 again. The offense will be fine too, the O Line needs some cohesiveness but it will come with more reps. I actually thought that the fumble last night was Ben's fault, but maybe that is just me.

Akron, I both agree and disagree with this.... Yes, I am comfortable with the starters... Yes, I think our D LBs and secondary will be fine... And yes, I also agree on the fumble...

But I think our D-line will have problems late in the season. We saw the "fatigue" issue glare it's ugly head in the last few games last year by giving up long drives at the end of the game. It's really not thier fault... It's age and lack of depth. ... A #1 ranked D is great, but they have to be able to finish the game and the season. ... And our O-line just scares the crap out of me. Period. .... But hey, that's just my opinion... :wink:

AkronSteel
08-29-2008, 10:25 PM

Akron, I both agree and disagree with this.... Yes, I am comfortable with the starters... Yes, I think our D LBs and secondary will be fine... And yes, I also agree on the fumble...

But I think our D-line will have problems late in the season. We saw the "fatigue" issue glare it's ugly head in the last few games last year by giving up long drives at the end of the game. It's really not thier fault... It's age and lack of depth. ... A #1 ranked D is great, but they have to be able to finish the game and the season. ... And our O-line just scares the crap out of me. Period. .... But hey, that's just my opinion... :wink:

It wasn't just the end of the year that the team gave up late drives to end games. The Broncos and Jets did it to the team early on as well. I think that if the team can establish a more consistent running game on the offensive side of the ball, then that will give them a better shot at closing out games. I don't just think it was fatigue and age that did the team in last year. The scheme was not good b/c Lebeau didn't trust his safties and Haggans and Travis/Nick were on the same side so opposing offenses just ran to the right.