View Full Version : Mendenhall having trouble hanging onto ball

fordfixer
08-25-2008, 12:14 AM
Mendenhall having trouble hanging onto ball
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, August 25, 2008
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 84695.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_584695.html)

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin walked with his arm around the shoulder of rookie running back Rashard Mendenhall as the team filed into the visiting locker room Saturday night at the Metrodome.

Tomlin didn't divulge what he said to the first-round pick. Although, it's pretty clear that the conversation went something like this: Keep your head up and keep that ball tucked to your body as if your roster spot depended on it.

Not that Mendenhall is in any danger of being cut.

But whether he gives the Steelers a 1-2 punch at running back that the team has lacked since 2005 depends largely on his ability to hang onto the ball.

Mendenhall showcased the running ability Saturday that made him the 23rd overall pick of the 2008 NFL Draft. The 5-foot-10, 224-pounder rushed for 79 yards in the Steelers' 12-10 win over the Minnesota Vikings and averaged 5.3 yards per carry.

Unfortunately for the Steelers, Mendenhall also struggled with something that plagued him early in his career at Illinois.

Mendenhall lost a pair of fumbles, including one late in the fourth quarter that almost cost the Steelers a chance of winning the game.

"It's something we were concerned about. It's something we made him aware of," Tomlin said of Mendenhall hanging onto the ball. "It's part of being a ball toter in the National Football League. He's got the skill set to be successful. But the prerequisite is ball security, and he's got to shore up that element of his game."

Mendenhall said the fumbles weren't a result of the way he carries the ball. He added that he needs to be more mindful of protecting it at this level.

"I think it's just the NFL game," Mendenhall said. "Guys are bigger, faster, they're going after the ball. So, you've just got to watch the tape, see what happened and re-assess it and move forth from there."

Mendenhall did rip off runs of 21, 18 and 16 yards, and he said he's starting to play more instinctively as his comfort level with the offense grows.

The Steelers are hoping to pair Mendenhall with starter Willie Parker and give them a running back tandem comparable to the one they saw Saturday night in Minnesota.

Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor combined for more almost 2,200 rushing yards last season. The Vikings, meanwhile, led the NFL in rushing.

When asked if the Steelers have a duo in Parker and Mendenhall that can be comparable to Peterson and Taylor, Tomlin said, "We believe we do, but ball security starts that."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Real problem or rookie jitters?

ikestops85
08-25-2008, 11:47 AM

I think it is just rookie jitters but I hope it doesn't turn into a mental problem with him constantly worrying about fumbling.

Ghost
08-25-2008, 12:18 PM
Unfortunately for the Steelers, Mendenhall also struggled with something that plagued him early in his career at Illinois.

What did the coaches do at Ill to correct the issue?

AngryAsian
08-25-2008, 01:30 PM
I'm not one to quote scripture, but.....

1 Corinthians 10:12 "This too shall pass."

Shawn
08-25-2008, 01:59 PM

Amen

:)

Jigawatts
08-25-2008, 02:25 PM

Amen

:)

It brings a tear to my round eye. :D

fordfixer
08-25-2008, 03:05 PM

Thats good that your not one to quote scripture because that not what 1 Corinthians 10:12 said :D

proudpittsburgher
08-25-2008, 03:21 PM

Thats good that your not one to quote scripture because that not what 1 Corinthians 10:12 said :D

:lol: :lol:

fordfixer
08-25-2008, 09:45 PM
1 Corinthians 10:12 does say "So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall"

so to make that work here it would read "So if you think you have a firm grip on the ball, be careful you don't fumble"

Just to say that even though AS was wrong it will still work :D

AngryAsian
08-25-2008, 09:53 PM
1 Corinthians 10:12 does say "So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall"

so to make that work were it would read "So if you think you have grip on the ball, be careful you don't fumble"

Don't ever trust a Buddhist with scripture. :lol:

fordfixer
08-25-2008, 09:55 PM

so to make that work were it would read "So if you think you have grip on the ball, be careful you don't fumble"

I wondered about that :lol: :lol:

Shawn
08-25-2008, 10:16 PM

:lol:

Thanks for the good laugh guys.

fordfixer
08-25-2008, 10:27 PM

:lol:

Thanks for the good laugh guys.

I can only speak for myself but your welcome :D

feltdizz
08-26-2008, 02:34 PM

I think it is just rookie jitters but I hope it doesn't turn into a mental problem with him constantly worrying about fumbling.

rookie jitters? More like NFL hitters.. this kid has one year in the Little Ten as the full time back. Most of the time the D's were confused by their spread option. Rarely did he line up and run straight up the hole....

He will be fine but I think he needs to respect the speed and strength of the NFL. Holmes was the same way on PR's.. thinking he was strong enough to one arm it.

He will learn or he will sit the bench.