PDA

View Full Version : SMGs Steeler/Viking Break Down

Shawn
08-24-2008, 11:43 AM
Well, it wasn't pretty but it's a win...meaningless win ehh depends on how you look at it. You could tell by the look on Tomlins face that he wanted to win. Maybe he wanted some team confidence or maybe it's just his competitive nature. Here is the break down.

QB: Ben is Ben...he will be fine despite his lack luster play. Lefty just packed Batch's bags with the QB clinic he put on. Wow, did he look terrific. He really does need touch but he sure does have an arm.

RB: Break out game for Mendy despite the fumbles. He can run...make no mistake. Holmes had the rookie propensity to give up the rock and he was fine. Mendy will be fine too. I am pumped about Mendy and his blend of speed and power. He will be an elite back. Parker is running harder despite his numbers...he looked good. Russell...I'm concerned. He hasn't had a good preseason. He will need to show something to get any PT this season...shoot I think he might even be on the bubble. Moore...ehh his future is limited to this season IMO.

WR: This position has just heated up. Reid looked really good...props to Oveido. He was catching everything...even those heaters thrown by Lefty. Dallas dropped 2 and will need to show something to stay off the PS. Limas shown flashes but still not ready for #3...maybe not even #4.

OL: Wow...is this unit bad...and I mean really bad. Colon was getting flat out used. Kemo would pancake a guy on one play then get abused on the next. He needs to show some consistency. Hartwig is better than Mahan but not by much. Smith even got hurt a couple times last night. This unit officially worries me.

DL: Looked stout...we are not deep but if we stay healthy they will be fine.

LB: Woodley is an alien. He is a freak of nature. On that sack he ran right over the blocker to get to the QB. 12+ sacks is probably an underestimate. Harrison is Harrison. The Foote injury could be a blessing in disquise...Timmons is a player.

DBs: Townsend never shows his age...he can still play. Taylor actually had a pick???? Wow...maybe the extra practice is paying off. Carter made a case for himself...he was everywhere...making serious plays

STs: Drummond...should pack his bags now. I think Holmes will be the PR this season.

Overall: Alot to be excited about...some to be concerned about. Our lack of attention to the OL in the draft will catch up with us. We will have to concentrate on the trenches in the upcoming draft. We don't have the luxury of not doing so. Overall, I think we have a strong unit. I just hope our OL can get their heads out their butt and keep us competitive.

Flasteel
08-24-2008, 12:23 PM
Pretty much the way I saw things last night as well. I thought they gave Reid an opportunity to make his case last night and he did as good of a job as I've seen him turn in. I missed one of Baker's drops (on route to another bar), but the one that bounced off his shoulder pads was on Leftwich as far as I'm concerned...like you said, he's got to learn to apply some touch.

I didn't think Holmes showed me anything in the return game, so it's going to come down to how he performs in practice to decide if he'll be a situational return guy or not. I think we saw last night exactly how he would be used...when a team is punting from deep in their own territory.

Best performance by our defensive line as a unit that I've seen in quite some time and it was aumented very nicely from the play of our linebackers.

BigBen2112
08-24-2008, 01:11 PM
I think putting Holmes as the permanent PR would be foolish and would lead to disaster. Why? It has been said often that if you have to put a starting WR at PR then you have problems. And I agree with that.

If Reid proves that he should stay as a WR he can return punts too...or Moore...we did get him for a returner and 3rd down back.

I dont want my #1 WR out there to break a leg on a punt return--which he hasnt even looked great at anyways--when the guys behind him are less than impressive. Ward can still ball, without a doubt...but Washington? Reid? Sweed? Baker? No thanks right now.

Sweed might turn into the best player ever, but right now I will just say no thanks for now for him over Holmes if Holmes got injured.

Put Moore back there...or William Gay! :D

Shawn
08-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Reid as the PR guy? Wow...I hope not.

BigBen2112
08-24-2008, 02:10 PM

Nope...William Gay as punt returner. :lol: :D

Les 74
08-24-2008, 02:58 PM

Gay as PR is gay.

BigBen2112
08-24-2008, 03:01 PM

Gay as PR is gay.

Hey it worked for Allen Rossum.....................umm.....MANY years ago. :lol:

AngryAsian
08-24-2008, 04:02 PM
Get Reid acclimated and comfortable in the WR position then set him loose on PR duties. He was a beast at FSU doing exactly that.

AkronSteel
08-24-2008, 06:00 PM
Get Reid acclimated and comfortable in the WR position then set him loose on PR duties. He was a beast at FSU doing exactly that.

I have actually thought for a while now that the guy is a decent reciever. He is good with his feet and has solid hands, but he has never really got a shot. I don't know about the PR duties. He just scares me with his hands, anything thing after Ricardo Colclough scares me to be totally honest. I think the guy is a solid WR though, he is a good route runner and he isn't afraid to go over the middle.

AngryAsian
08-24-2008, 10:59 PM

I have actually thought for a while now that the guy is a decent reciever. He is good with his feet and has solid hands, but he has never really got a shot. I don't know about the PR duties. He just scares me with his hands, anything thing after Ricardo Colclough scares me to be totally honest. I think the guy is a solid WR though, he is a good route runner and he isn't afraid to go over the middle.

2005 Orange Bowl MVP 200+ total yards in at WR and PR. The guy has skills. Its just due to injury he hasn't flourished in the Burgh. Now that he's healthy, he might actually be our number #3 option at WR.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Reid

Steel Life
08-24-2008, 11:15 PM
...Now that he's healthy, he might actually be our number #3 option at WR.
Geez Asian...not even a "he might actually be our number #3 option at WR someday" or "next year" or "if Sweed doesn't work out". If he has one more good pre-season game, why not just make him a starter? :roll:

Besides...wasn't it just this past week where most observers had Baker making the team & not him? Let's keep it in perspective...

blacknblue80s
08-25-2008, 12:05 AM
Great breakdown SMG.

I would personally much rather see Roy Lewis or Travis Williams make the team than Carter, he is way to inconsistant. Carter was a rise to the occasion guy but hasn't done much rising since the 2005 SB.

papillon
08-25-2008, 08:31 AM
After watching the disaster that has been the Steeler's punt return unit for the past few years, I'd be fine with the Steelers putting the guy back there that will catch 99 out of 100 punts and just have him immediately put up the fair catch signal when the ball is punted.

Let Ben work his magic, the extra 7 or 8 yards isn't worth returnign it and potentially turning it over. Just fair catch every punt with the guy that can catch the most punts out of 100.

Pappy

frankthetank1
08-25-2008, 08:37 AM
After watching the disaster that has been the Steeler's punt return unit for the past few years, I'd be fine with the Steelers putting the guy back there that will catch 99 out of 100 punts and just have him immediately put up the fair catch signal when the ball is punted.

Let Ben work his magic, the extra 7 or 8 yards isn't worth returnign it and potentially turning it over. Just fair catch every punt with the guy that can catch the most punts out of 100.

Pappy

thats pretty much a summary of rossum last year. he never did anything on punt returns but at least he always caught the ball

MeetJoeGreene
08-25-2008, 08:59 AM
What worries me about Mendenhall is that I recently read that he had fumble problems early in his days at ILL. That is a red flag as it may not be an isolated occurence.

You know teams will be going for that now.

frankthetank1
08-25-2008, 09:05 AM
what kind of injury did foote sustain?

Shawn
08-25-2008, 11:30 AM
What worries me about Mendenhall is that I recently read that he had fumble problems early in his days at ILL. That is a red flag as it may not be an isolated occurence.

Many guys have EARLY fumble problems. What I worry about is fumble issues throughout their career...which Mendenhall does not have.

AngryAsian
08-25-2008, 01:19 PM
Geez Asian...not even a "he might actually be our number #3 option at WR someday" or "next year" or "if Sweed doesn't work out". If he has one more good pre-season game, why not just make him a starter? :roll:

Besides...wasn't it just this past week where most observers had Baker making the team & not him? Let's keep it in perspective...

I guess the word "might" wasn't specific enough for you. I'm not giving him the keys to the city of a starting position or even a position on the team. I'm just being optimistic for a home state guy who hasn't really gotten a fair shake because of injury. Why I am putting him above Nate, "IF" he continues to progress, is that he not only has produced in a big game scenario, but has also provided a valuable service for his team in the past in his position as punt returner, which this team is in dire need of. Don't get frustrated with a brother on the board because he exudes a little optimism for a player who may fit nicely into a dual role as WR and a standout in our much maligned Special Teams.

Shawn
08-25-2008, 01:47 PM

I guess the word "might" wasn't specific enough for you. I'm not giving him the keys to the city of a starting position or even a position on the team. I'm just being optimistic for a home state guy who hasn't really gotten a fair shake because of injury. Why I am putting him above Nate, "IF" he continues to progress, is that he not only has produced in a big game scenario, but has also provided a valuable service for his team in the past in his position as punt returner, which this team is in dire need of. Don't get frustrated with a brother on the board because he exudes a little optimism for a player who may fit nicely into a dual role as WR and a standout in our much maligned Special Teams.

I see both sides of the debate on this one. I have to respect your eye AS...you have seen more of the guy than many of us. When he was first drafted...he was absolutely explosive. Then the foot injury...and he lost a step. Since...he has been a #5 WR at best...and that was giving him something.

With all of that said, the other night he looked like that guy we drafted. He was flat out explosive and displayed terrific hands. Lets not forget how hard it is to catch a lefty ball. He was flat out launching those balls and Reid made catching them look easy. He was quick...and making plays. It was certainly encouraging and it just might have saved his acs. I'm encouraged but not sold. He looked like the 3rd best WR last night...and if he can regain form he could be a terrific surprise.

Steel Life
08-25-2008, 10:02 PM

It's cool AS...I was just yanking the chain - you know how some people get after a player has his "Timmy Smith" performance.

However I do get tired with the notion that somebody is always better than Nate. All the guy has done is produce & keep guys like Ced, Baker & Reid on the bench - all guys who had "big games" in college & did squat in the pros. Now if Reid finally puts it together as a WR then great...I've hoped that he would & said so (but think he's done as a returner here), he would make a good WR group even better.

AngryAsian
08-25-2008, 11:57 PM
It's cool AS...I was just yanking the chain - you know how some people get after a player has his "Timmy Smith" performance.

However I do get tired with the notion that somebody is always better than Nate. All the guy has done is produce & keep guys like Ced, Baker & Reid on the bench - all guys who had "big games" in college & did squat in the pros. Now if Reid finally puts it together as a WR then great...I've hoped that he would & said so (but think he's done as a returner here), he would make a good WR group even better.

Brother.... a successful Nate this season, adds high octane to our passing game. I think last year Nate really redeemed himself from the previous year, though he still had some bobbles. But the more competent Nate is the deeper our WR corps is, thus more options for Ben to fire at. I'd like us to keep 6 WR this year ( I know, crazy huh?). But I think that Baker has had too many drops to make this squad. I'm still hopeful that with his new found confidence, he might just be able to still have a shot at the return game. Let's keep our fingers crossed that with these pieces, Ben surpasses his numbers from last year.

Shawn
08-26-2008, 12:22 AM
Am I being greedy by wanting a playmaker at #3? While Washington does make some plays...he doesn't scare anyone. I will say something that will likely get me heat but when Chris Henry is on the field...that guy scares me. He might be a total goof but the guy can play ball. I guess that is my hope...for someone to step up and become a force at #3. It changes the ways Ds have to play us. For the record, I don't believe Reid or Washington are that guy. I was hoping Sweed would be a rookie sensation and we could move Ward to the slot in 3 WR sets. That is looking less and less likely.

NKySteeler
08-26-2008, 12:48 AM
I was hoping Sweed would be a rookie sensation and we could move Ward to the slot in 3 WR sets. That is looking less and less likely.

...The season hasn't started yet... If we go by what we've seen from teams so far, Brady belongs on the IR, and the Colts will finish last.... You said yourself, so you know, that the WR position takes a bit of time.... I'm still reserving judgement on the "rookie sensation" till we're a few games (that actually count) into the season... But yes, it is starting to sway the other way so far...

Shawn
08-26-2008, 01:00 AM
NKy...anything is possible and yes he has time...but against second and third team Ds he has looked lack luster. I just don't think it will be this season. Big men need more time.

feltdizz
08-26-2008, 02:19 PM

Many guys have EARLY fumble problems. What I worry about is fumble issues throughout their career...which Mendenhall does not have.

Mend only has one year of history at Illinois so who knows.. maybe that's why he didn't get touches earlier in his career.

Tomlin said RM reminds him of Timmons... a guy with potential out the roof but is young and still has a lot to learn... I see him getting touches because RB is not as difficult as LB on our team.

The fumbles could be nothing major.. but who knows how he reacts if he fumbles on our last drive in a meaningful game. How tough is he mentally?

We shall see

feltdizz
08-26-2008, 02:22 PM
NKy...anything is possible and yes he has time...but against second and third team Ds he has looked lack luster. I just don't think it will be this season. Big men need more time.

I think Sweed may be used in the Red Zone.. I like Rucker myself. But I hve seen Sweed catch some tough passes and take hits.. and also drop some easy ones...

I see it being no different then RM with the fumbles.. but WR is harder then RB when transitioning. IMO.

Shawn
08-26-2008, 02:55 PM

Mend only has one year of history at Illinois so who knows.. maybe that's why he didn't get touches earlier in his career.

Tomlin said RM reminds him of Timmons... a guy with potential out the roof but is young and still has a lot to learn... I see him getting touches because RB is not as difficult as LB on our team.

The fumbles could be nothing major.. but who knows how he reacts if he fumbles on our last drive in a meaningful game. How tough is he mentally?

We shall see

The mental question is the only one that worries me. Didn't almost quit playing football because he didn't like the coach?

Shawn
08-26-2008, 02:56 PM

I think Sweed may be used in the Red Zone.. I like Rucker myself. But I hve seen Sweed catch some tough passes and take hits.. and also drop some easy ones...

I see it being no different then RM with the fumbles.. but WR is harder then RB when transitioning. IMO.

I certainly hope we get some use out of Sweed this season.

Steel Life
08-27-2008, 12:05 AM
Am I being greedy by wanting a playmaker at #3? While Washington does make some plays...he doesn't scare anyone. I will say something that will likely get me heat but when Chris Henry is on the field...that guy scares me. He might be a total goof but the guy can play ball. I guess that is my hope...for someone to step up and become a force at #3. It changes the ways Ds have to play us. For the record, I don't believe Reid or Washington are that guy. I was hoping Sweed would be a rookie sensation and we could move Ward to the slot in 3 WR sets. That is looking less and less likely.
No SMG - you're not being greedy at all, it's what every team hopes for. My question would be - other than Henry, what #3 in the league does scare teams? Not many...

You look at a guy like Welker & you have ask yourself - did anyone think he was a weapon when he was signed away from the Dolphins?

Steel Life
08-27-2008, 12:10 AM
The mental question is the only one that worries me. Didn't almost quit playing football because he didn't like the coach?
I believe the stories were that he thought about quitting or transferring because of the coaches reneged on promises concerning playing time for his brother.

Shawn
08-27-2008, 01:59 AM
I believe the stories were that he thought about quitting or transferring because of the coaches reneged on promises concerning playing time for his brother.

Ahh ok...well loyalty to family...I can see it.

Shawn
08-27-2008, 02:01 AM
No SMG - you're not being greedy at all, it's what every team hopes for. My question would be - other than Henry, what #3 in the league does scare teams? Not many...

You look at a guy like Welker & you have ask yourself - did anyone think he was a weapon when he was signed away from the Dolphins?

I agree not many...probably only the two you listed.

frankthetank1
08-27-2008, 09:15 AM
i thought welker was a very good wr before the pats got him. his first year with the dolphins he had around 75 to 80 catches on an awful offense and did a great job with punt returns. i was shocked when the dolphins got rid of him. one of the worst fo moves in the last 5 years i would say

AngryAsian
08-27-2008, 12:08 PM

Actually and no one will probably remember, but I pimped him when he was a FA last spring. Being from the south, I got to see way too many Dolphin NFL coverage and got to see this scrappy midget who always seemed to get the ball regardless of where you threw it. His play in Miami seemed to remind me of Rocky Bleier.... just this tough as nails, no nonsense kind of work ethic he brought to the field. He would of been a great fit for our squad... but now that he's a Pat* I have to hate him.

Steel Life
08-27-2008, 11:41 PM
i thought welker was a very good wr before the pats got him. his first year with the dolphins he had around 75 to 80 catches on an awful offense and did a great job with punt returns. i was shocked when the dolphins got rid of him. one of the worst fo moves in the last 5 years i would say

Welker's career catch totals by year: 04 = 0, 05 = 29, 06 = 67, 07 = 112

And your comment about it being "one of the worst fo moves in the last 5 years" is right, albeit in retrospect. The Dolphins hoped that he would go unwanted & could be re-signed on the cheap. We can only hope that the young WRs perform well enough to make the off-season decisions of the team extremely difficult.

Shawn
08-28-2008, 12:17 PM

Welker's career catch totals by year: 04 = 0, 05 = 29, 06 = 67, 07 = 112

And your comment about it being "one of the worst fo moves in the last 5 years" is right, albeit in retrospect. The Dolphins hoped that he would go unwanted & could be re-signed on the cheap. We can only hope that the young WRs perform well enough to make the off-season decisions of the team extremely difficult.

I must admit it would be nice if Reid bloomed like Welker. I will be watching him closely tonight.