PDA

View Full Version : Direct TV HD/DVR Help!

Shawn
08-24-2008, 01:23 AM
I am starting a new position in about a month. I will be working alot of weekends and will miss alot of games. I need to take the DVR leap and need to know if any of you know of any DTV promotions of ways of getting these DVR/HD boxes reasonable. Last time I checked they were like 300 bucks. That seems kinda silly considering you pay for all the programing and the service. Any thoughts?

stlrz d
08-24-2008, 09:04 AM
Better than $300!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 6004963843 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8503951&st=directv+hd+dvr&type=product&id=1186004963843)

Shawn
08-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Thanks D! I would assume the DVR service costs a bit more...any idea how much more a month?

LasVegasGuy
08-24-2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks D! I would assume the DVR service costs a bit more...any idea how much more a month?

Find an advertisement in the mail, paper, on-line basically anywhere where Direct TV is offering a free HD/DVR for new subscribers.

https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/wizard/b ... ystem1.jsp (https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/wizard/buildYourSystem1.jsp)

Call them up and ask when does you contract expire? If it already has tell them you saw this offer and you were thinking about canceling your service and seeing what cable has to offer for HD DVR capability. Then tell them worse case I can come back to Direct TV as a new subsriber and get all the upgrades and Sunday Ticket free with 4 months of programming. They will be against letting you go that they will give you the HD/DVR for free. That is how I got mine for free.

If your contract hasn't expired yet they will be nervous that you are even asking and will possibly offer you the HD/DVR just to stay and make you a happy customer. Good Luck!

Remember when you set up a game on the DVR make sure you record for about an 1 hour longer on the same channel. I have had to record games only to forget to do this and missed out on the very end. Luckily, the games were decided by the time the recording ended that I didn't miss anything.

Shawn
08-24-2008, 12:02 PM

Find an advertisement in the mail, paper, on-line basically anywhere where Direct TV is offering a free HD/DVR for new subscribers.

https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/wizard/b ... ystem1.jsp (https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/wizard/buildYourSystem1.jsp)

Call them up and ask when does you contract expire? If it already has tell them you saw this offer and you were thinking about canceling your service and seeing what cable has to offer for HD DVR capability. Then tell them worse case I can come back to Direct TV as a new subsriber and get all the upgrades and Sunday Ticket free with 4 months of programming. They will be against letting you go that they will give you the HD/DVR for free. That is how I got mine for free.

If your contract hasn't expired yet they will be nervous that you are even asking and will possibly offer you the HD/DVR just to stay and make you a happy customer. Good Luck!

Remember when you set up a game on the DVR make sure you record for about an 1 hour longer on the same channel. I have had to record games only to forget to do this and missed out on the very end. Luckily, the games were decided by the time the recording ended that I didn't miss anything.

Good info...I'm a cheap bastage...and hate paying for the DVR/HD. I will definately try this...thanks!

LasVegasGuy
08-24-2008, 12:09 PM

Good info...I'm a cheap bastage...and hate paying for the DVR/HD. I will definately try this...thanks!

I'm with you. I really think that if you are a good customer with them you will pick one up for free. The HD/DVR is small potatoes to them in order to keep you a happy direct tv customer. Let me know how it goes. Remember what is good for new customers should be equally as good for their existing ones.

stlrz d
08-24-2008, 12:34 PM
LVG has the plan!

I would recommend that as well. Since I'm splitting the dish with someone I'm not really a subscriber and never would have thought of it in that way.

But man, it is one hell of a deal they offer the new subscribers (I called, so I know). Basically a $50 install and with the purchase of Sunday Ticket you get 4 months of EVERY channel they have for free!

It was almost enough to make me sign up legitimately! :lol:

fordfixer
08-24-2008, 04:16 PM

SMG let me know how this works out for you I might try it myself thanks

Shawn
08-25-2008, 02:01 PM
It took about 30 minutes, and being transfered but I got it done. New HD/DVR and free installation. They told me no like 5 times. I said, I can always cancel...and sign up again...but I would rather not play games. :)

Thanks for the advice guys.

LasVegasGuy
08-25-2008, 02:32 PM
It took about 30 minutes, and being transfered but I got it done. New HD/DVR and free installation. They told me no like 5 times. I said, I can always cancel...and sign up again...but I would rather not play games. :)

Woo Hoo! There wasn't a doubt in my mind that this was going to work. The only way it wouldn't have worked is if you were still under contract. When that happens your bargaining power isn't as strong but they do sometimes work with you. You might not have gotten it for free but you might have received it for $99. Enjoy!

Shawn
08-25-2008, 05:09 PM

Woo Hoo! There wasn't a doubt in my mind that this was going to work. The only way it wouldn't have worked is if you were still under contract. When that happens your bargaining power isn't as strong but they do sometimes work with you. You might not have gotten it for free but you might have received it for $99. Enjoy!

That's what they kept offering me. 'I'm sorry sir...the best we can do is 99 dollars". I said, then please send me to the department that cancels service. If they actually transfered me I would have probably hung up and taken the 99 dollars. :lol:

LasVegasGuy
08-25-2008, 05:28 PM

That's what they kept offering me. 'I'm sorry sir...the best we can do is 99 dollars". I said, then please send me to the department that cancels service. If they actually transfered me I would have probably hung up and taken the 99 dollars. :lol:

Next time PM me and I will give you the number to their retention department. No transfers, no games, just people on the other end who's job it is to make you a happy Direct TV customer. I got the number from a buddy who used to work for Direct TV and it hasn't failed me yet.

Steely76
08-27-2008, 05:40 PM
I never had to pay for any DirecTv hardware and every conversation started with them wanting to charge me. Threatening to cancel, asking why your friend got his for free, mentioning how much you spend on programming and do they want to lose that monthly amount, how long you've been with them, etc., are all effective tactics. I found it's better to let them transfer you to retention then just dialing direct. That's because they now have an established record of notes on your threats to leave by the time it gets to retention. Just wear 'em down! :P

Shawn
08-27-2008, 09:07 PM

Next time PM me and I will give you the number to their retention department. No transfers, no games, just people on the other end who's job it is to make you a happy Direct TV customer. I got the number from a buddy who used to work for Direct TV and it hasn't failed me yet.

Thanks I will do that. :)