PDA

View Full Version : Sitting on the black-and-gold bubble

fordfixer
08-22-2008, 11:10 PM
Sitting on the black-and-gold bubble
Friday, August 22, 2008 | Posted by Kyle Chrise
http://www.realfootball365.com/index.ph ... lers/12429 (http://www.realfootball365.com/index.php/articles/steelers/12429)

The Pittsburgh Steelers are halfway through the preseason, which means the next round of cuts isn't far off. With just a few moments left for some players to earn a roster spot, let's see who's sitting on the black-and-gold bubble.

Quarterback Charlie Batch

Batch has been a solid backup, mentor and extra coach in Pittsburgh, but his collarbone injury and the subsequent signing of Byron Leftwich have put the team in an awkward position. Batch is in the last year of his contract, so it doesn't make sense to put him on injured reserve this season. Meanwhile, rookie Dennis Dixon has shown the skills to earn a roster spot. That leaves the Steelers two choices: Keep four QBs or cut Batch. Retaining the extra quarterback seems like wasted roster space.

Safety Tyrone Carter

Carter has been with the Steelers since the 2004 season, but when he filled in for an injured Troy Polamalu last year, it was obvious that he wasn't of the same pedigree. If he was only competing with this year's sixth-round draft pick, Ryan Mundy, he may have the roster spot locked down. But the Steelers have been letting some corners take reps at safety, including Deshea Townsend, William Gay and Roy Lewis. Pittsburgh likes players who are flexible at different positions, so the organization could be willing to let Mundy develop if it has some others who could slide in if Polamalu gets hurt again. Carter's future with the team may rest on the relative health of the rest of the secondary.

Returner/receiver Willie Reid

The Steelers drafted Reid in the third round two years ago with the hope that he would specialize on returns. His rookie season was hindered by injury and last year's campaign was plagued by mistakes and lackluster performances. So far this preseason, Reid hasn't really done anything impressive as either a returner or receiver. Four Pittsburgh receivers -- Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, Nate Washington and Limas Sweed -- are already all but guaranteed roster spots; to grab that fifth WR spot, then, Reid is going to have to finally live up to his rookie expectations in the return game and beat out Eddie Drummond, who currently appears to have an upper hand (but not by much).

Receiver Dallas Baker

There were high hopes for Baker coming into camp. The 2007 sixth-round pick turned some heads last season by making plays on the practice squad, and he spent a lot of time with coaches in the offseason learning more about the offense. When Pittsburgh cut wideout Cedrick Wilson, it left the door open for Baker. However, in the first preseason game, Baker was nowhere to be found against the Eagles. In last week's game against the Bills, he made more of an impact, snagging three catches for 57 yards. He's going to have to do that and more in these final exhibition games if he wants to convince the Steelers to keep him as a fifth receiver, especially because Baker doesn't contribute on returns.

*In other news, the five-year contract extension the Steelers gave defensive captain James Farrior this week means he'll be 38 when the agreement expires; who says Pittsburgh doesn't keep its older vets

NKySteeler
08-22-2008, 11:20 PM
Batch has been a solid backup, mentor and extra coach in Pittsburgh, but his collarbone injury and the subsequent signing of Byron Leftwich have put the team in an awkward position. Batch is in the last year of his contract, so it doesn't make sense to put him on injured reserve this season. Meanwhile, rookie Dennis Dixon has shown the skills to earn a roster spot. That leaves the Steelers two choices: Keep four QBs or cut Batch. Retaining the extra quarterback seems like wasted roster space.

...As much as I love Charlie Batch, this might prove to be his end... I can't see keeping 4 qbs, and I also can't see puting Dixon on the PS so as to be available to other teams... That would mean he will be gone. ...

...But my question is this: If he (Batch) was hurt during play, would we be responsible for his contract?... I seem to recall that Bettis said in his book that he "faked" an injury to avoid being cut... How does all this play out?

fordfixer
08-22-2008, 11:24 PM

...As much as I love Charlie Batch, this might prove to be his end... I can't see keeping 4 qbs, and I also can't see puting Dixon on the PS so as to be available to other teams... That would mean he will be gone. ...

...But my question is this: If he (Batch) was hurt during play, would we be responsible for his contract?... I seem to recall that Bettis said in his book that he "faked" an injury to avoid being cut... How does all this play out?

I guess we'll find out I just don't know :?

ramblinjim
08-23-2008, 01:58 PM

Ok, this is probably an odd queston too. If we pub CB on IR, would we owe him his salary? We could clear off the roster spot, which we need to do and still pay Charlie which I think is the right thing to do considering how well he has done for us?

Oviedo
08-23-2008, 03:06 PM
I hope Carter is gone. I'll take Reid over Baker. Really feel bad about a stand up guy like Batch, but all things must end.