PDA

View Full Version : Farrior in

BigRob
08-21-2008, 12:11 PM
Bouchette is reporting the sb is about 5 mil total deal worth 18.25 mil through 2012.

RuthlessBurgher
08-21-2008, 12:13 PM
Sounds good to me!!! :tt2 :Steel :tt1

RuthlessBurgher
08-21-2008, 12:19 PM
The Steelers and linebacker James Farrior have agreed to a contract extension and Farrior will sign it today. Farrior's contract was due to expire after this year, but will be replaced by a contract that runs 2008-2012. It's worth $18.25 million. He gets a $5 million signing bonus and will receive slightly less than $10 million over the first two years and $12.6 million over the first three years.

Farrior, 33, is the first Steeler whose contract expires after the 2008 season to agree to an extension. Farrior, who has led team in tackles the past years, is represented by Pittsburgh agent Ralph Cindrich. Farrior recorded six sacks last season, second on the team.

My guess is he likely plays 3 more years in Pittsburgh, and then is cut with very little cap hit, since the signing bonus is only $5 mil.

MeetJoeGreene
08-21-2008, 12:25 PM
That is a very reasonable and cap friendly contract.

I keep thinking one of these years he is going to all of a sudden deteriorate.

I also keep hoping that I am wrong.

Shawn
08-21-2008, 12:31 PM
Very good signing...his play hasn't dropped off and the contract was reasonable...win/win situation.

calmkiller
08-21-2008, 12:45 PM
Now compare this with how Porter was handled. Shut up and show up to work and produce and you will be rewarded. Spout off at the mouth and go bye bye.

Iron Shiek
08-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Now compare how this was handles with Porter. Shut up and show up to work and produce and you will be rewarded. Spout off at the mouth and go bye bye.
:Agree $$$$

Farrior is a class act. Glad to have him on the team for a few more years. Good defensive leader, we need a good veteran presence for all these youngsters.

Shawn
08-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Now compare how this was handles with Porter. Shut up and show up to work and produce and you will be rewarded. Spout off at the mouth and go bye bye.

Ehhh...not that simple. Check out Farriors stats...he had more sacks last season than any other time in his career. His play hasn't dropped off a bit. Also, wasn't asking the Steelers to "show me the money".

Porters play had dropped off significantly...and he wanted to be paid like a top 5 LB.

Apples to oranges. I'm sure Porters mouth didn't help the situation but it certainly wasn't the determining factor.

AkronSteel
08-21-2008, 01:17 PM
I love the signing! It means that the LB Corp is locked up for at least 3 years and it is not something this team needs to worry about moving forward. The contract was very team friendly. Potsy has always said that he wanted to stay here and would give a home town discount to stay and that is what happened.

Now it's time to move on to Marvel and BMac and this team will be looking pretty good moving into the future!!

This is a good day for Steelers football!!!

RuthlessBurgher
08-21-2008, 01:27 PM
http://sidesalad.net/archives/Potsie.jpg

Hogerules33
08-21-2008, 01:29 PM
I think we are all afraid of Farrior instantly deteriorating much like Porter and Gildon.

Howver, the major difference is that an OLB's disappearing act is much more noticeable than the SAM linebacker spot that Farrior plays. He's not required to rush the passer most downs, so his run stopping abilities can be utilized well into his 30's.

Look at Zach Thomas, that guy is as old as Jesus and is still a tackling machine.

I'm really happy we have Farrior locked up until he retires.

frankthetank1
08-21-2008, 01:42 PM
this is great news!! im glad farrior will retire a steeler, he has definetly earned it. smg is right farrior and porter are night and day. porter is and was his last year as a steeler a shell of his former self. farrior is still very solid. best part is the steelers can go out and draft a mlb and groom him to take over for farrior in another year or two

stlrz d
08-21-2008, 02:00 PM
Just saw the story on steelers.com...OUTSTANDING!!! :Clap :Clap :Clap

Jigawatts
08-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Farrior is, and will remain solid for the next few years. This is excellent news. :tt1

Flasteel
08-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Friggin' SWEET!!!!

fordfixer
08-21-2008, 02:30 PM
:tt1 :tt1 :tt1

AngryAsian
08-21-2008, 02:32 PM
Excellent news. Shoring up our LB leader was a must and glad we got it done before the season.

SteelHoss
08-21-2008, 02:34 PM
This is very good news. Farrior has been nothing but class with a capital "C" since he got here. He has earned that retirement contract. I'm looking forward to watching him for some more good seasons. :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt2

papillon
08-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Should the Steelers get Marvel locked up now before the season opener? Good LTs rarely hit the FA market and when they do it's for big money. Can they get something done now? Do you believe they want to get something done now? Is his back healed?

If Marvel hits the market he'll command a lot more than the Steelers would have to pay him if they try to extend him right now (although, even extending him won't be cheap). If the Steelers lose Marvel they will have lost 3/5 of the starting SB offensive line in 3 years, Hartings, Faneca and Smith. They've done very little to replace these men. Losing Smith could set the Steelers back a couple years, IMHO.

Pappy

SteelTorch
08-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Great news! Farriors deserves it. He does nothing but work his ass off and is still in great shape. :tt2

blacknblue80s
08-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Farrior has been a shining example to the team, coming to camp in the best possible shape due to his offseason training. I love to see him rewarded this way and it is a great message to the other players.

NKySteeler
08-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Now compare this with how Porter was handled. Shut up and show up to work and produce and you will be rewarded. Spout off at the mouth and go bye bye.

Bingo.... It pays to keep management on your "good side".

... When Hines held out, Dan Rooney bent over backwards to get him signed, talking with not only him but Bettis as well (as a moderator). ...He even met privately with Hines at the Allegheny Co. airport in a back room (avoiding the agents and media) after camp had started, getting an initial deal worked out...

Moral of this story is that the "squeaky wheel" gets tossed out with the garbage.

Chemsteel
08-21-2008, 05:47 PM
I may be mistaken but did a poster on Planet Steelers several weeks ago reveal the news that James Farrior was signed to an extension? :D

I was told about the money but did not think it could go for 5 years. I think James will go on for 3 more years.

Now, if I could only reveal some good news concerning Marvel?

Shawn
08-21-2008, 06:00 PM
I may be mistaken but did a poster on Planet Steelers several weeks ago reveal the news that James Farrior was signed to an extension? :D

I was told about the money but did not think it could go for 5 years. I think James will go on for 3 more years.

Now, if I could only reveal some good news concerning Marvel?

You sure did...and I have been spreading that rumor since. :)

" a source told me......" :mrgreen:

Keep em comin Chem.

anger 82&95
08-21-2008, 07:02 PM
A great player, a great Steeler and a great contract signing… I’ll always remember this quote from LaDainian Tomlinson when he was asked to describe the hardest hit he ever experienced: “I got hit by James Farrior, the Steelers linebacker, when I was catching a pass. He kinda separated my AC joint. The other ones I don't really remember, but that one sticks out in my mind.”

Ozey74
08-21-2008, 08:25 PM
Good news indeed!! What he may lose in skill as he gets older, he will compensate with experience and smarts!!!