PDA

View Full Version : Inside the ropes

fordfixer
08-18-2008, 11:17 PM
Inside the ropes
By The Tribune-Review
Monday, August 18, 2008
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 83496.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_583496.html)

An inside look at Steelers training camp ...

Punt return duty: After coach Mike Tomlin said receiver Santonio Holmes would have the opportunity to return punts in the Steelers' next preseason game at Minnesota, Holmes fielded punts during Sunday's practice.

Sharp as a tack: Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger looked sharp in the final 7-on-7 drill of training camp, going 7 for 9.

Roethlisberger to Miller: Tight end Heath Miller was the Steelers' busiest receiver yesterday. Miller had four catches in 7-on-7 drills, including three from Roethlisberger.

Pick it up: Deshea Townsend made a nice interception of a Roethlisberger pass in 11-on-11 drills.

Nate the skate: Receiver Nate Washington had a quietly efficient camp, catching nearly every ball throw his way and appearing much more comfortable in his role as the No. 3 receiver. Washington made a couple of tough catches yesterday, including hauling in a long pass against Bryant McFadden in 7-on-7 drills.

Concentrate: Rookie receiver Limas Sweed continues to have trouble hanging onto the ball. Sweed, who had a drop in the preseason game against Buffalo, couldn't come up with a pass in tight quarters from quarterback Byron Leftwich in 7-on-7 drills.

Play of the day: Receiver Jeremy Bloom made his biggest play of training camp when he got behind cornerback Ike Taylor on a long pass in 11-on-11 work. Bloom's catch stood out because Taylor probably had his strongest camp since joining the Steelers.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-18-2008, 11:25 PM
Bloom's catch stood out because Taylor probably had his strongest camp since joining the Steelers.

This part really stood out for me. I would love to see Ike return to his '04 - '05 form and take a giant step forward from there.

AkronSteel
08-18-2008, 11:53 PM
Good to hear Nate had a good camp. He is going to have a big year if he can hang on to the ball, b/c teams are going to have to make him their 4th choice. He should have open oppurtunities all year.

I think the change at cornerback is interesting, not sure why Coach T decided to make the change but it seemed to work in the playoff game last year, so heres hoping that it will continue.

Steel Life
08-19-2008, 12:26 AM
I still think that D-Line is the most overlooked issue facing the team. Colbert's refusal to properly address it could the team's downfall - especially after how we all saw what a DOMINANT defensive line can do to the opposition.

AkronSteel
08-19-2008, 01:17 AM
I still think that D-Line is the most overlooked issue facing the team. Colbert's refusal to properly address it could the team's downfall - especially after how we all saw what a DOMINANT defensive line can do to the opposition.

:Agree

I think the team still needs to watch the waiver wire and see who becomes available along the defensive front. Anyone know how Marcus Spears is looking down in Dallas? The last I heard he was not on such solid groud.

I think this maybe is the biggest problem facing the team this year. I don't wanna see anything resembling the defense that we all saw at the end of the year last year. I'm not use to watching teams run on the Steelers with regularity, and I really don't wanna see it anymore!

Come on Colbert, find that guy out there that would help the team out up front.