PDA

View Full Version : No Decision

Mo_Steel
08-18-2008, 10:55 AM
No decision

Quarterback Charlie Batch returned to the sideline with his right arm in a sling, the result of surgery to repair his broken clavicle. Although he could be healthy in five weeks, Tomlin would not commit to holding a roster spot for him.

"We'll make that decision when we have to," Tomlin said. "Right now we're just evaluating this thing day to day. There are so many things that can happen between now and when we have to make that roster cut that it's a pure waste of time to speculate on those at this point. People could get hurt, so forth and so on."

The Steelers must cut to 75 Aug. 26 and to 53 Aug. 30.

Shawn
08-18-2008, 11:17 AM
Batch is as good as gone. Take that to the bank.

AkronSteel
08-18-2008, 11:21 AM
No decision

Quarterback Charlie Batch returned to the sideline with his right arm in a sling, the result of surgery to repair his broken clavicle. Although he could be healthy in five weeks, Tomlin would not commit to holding a roster spot for him.

"We'll make that decision when we have to," Tomlin said. "Right now we're just evaluating this thing day to day. There are so many things that can happen between now and when we have to make that roster cut that it's a pure waste of time to speculate on those at this point. People could get hurt, so forth and so on."

I think Charlies days are numbered with the Steelers. I just think the team sees Byron as a better option for the long haul than what Charlie can bring to the team. Byron is younger and has a much better arm, plus he has a good working relationship with KA. We'll see what happens but from the comments by Coach T, I don't think holding a roster spot for him is something that they wish to do.

Mo_Steel
08-18-2008, 11:26 AM
I am afraid with the rhetoric we have heard in the last year, I maybe reading the same "NEWS". At times the Coach rhetoric can get hard to read with what they are doing then other times it seems as though it's pretty obvious; right now they just haven't figured out how to tell the player yet.

It will still be a sad day though Chuck has been a good leader and hidden asset that came through in need compared to previous backups.

RuthlessBurgher
08-18-2008, 12:21 PM
No decision

I think Charlies days are numbered with the Steelers. I just think the team sees Byron as a better option for the long haul than what Charlie can bring to the team. Byron is younger and has a much better arm, plus he has a good working relationship with KA. We'll see what happens but from the comments by Coach T, I don't think holding a roster spot for him is something that they wish to do.

Don't assume that Byron wants to be here for the long haul, though. If he shows that he still has some of what made him a #7 overall pick a few short years ago, he might prefer to go somewhere where he has a legit shot a competing for a starting gig. Even if he decided to come back as a Ben's backup beyond this season, he certainly won't sign for the minimum veteran salary again.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-18-2008, 01:03 PM
It would be surprising if they let Batch go before they had someone signed that was better, and IMO Lefty hasn't shown that he's better than a healthy Batch. The next one or two pre-season games will go a long way towards answering that ?, but for now, I think it's still not proven.

DukieBoy
08-18-2008, 01:55 PM
If they release CB, BL plays out the year then leaves for a better opportunity to start, will DD be prepared to fill the backup role capably?

papillon
08-18-2008, 02:27 PM
If they release CB, BL plays out the year then leaves for a better opportunity to start, will DD be prepared to fill the backup role capably?

Probably not, but, Batch may be available again next year for the Steelers to pick up. I doubt that anyone will pick him up for more than one year.

Pappy

Flasteel
08-18-2008, 03:32 PM

That's exactly the problem and why I don't believe for a second that Batch is as good as gone. First, as mentioned, Leftwich probably has zero desire to stay on as the number two here and will look for a starting gig anywhere he can get it, or at least a situation where he has a chance to compete.

Secondly, as mentioned, Leftwich has yet to prove he's any better than Batch. CB is a leader in the locker room and in the community up there. While those things don't normally get mixed into the equation with as much weight as talent, I don't think Leftwich has the ability nor will he have the opportunity to show he is better than Batch.

I realize that it counts for next to nothing in thos game, but I also believe strongly in loyalty. This team owes Charlie Batch for the years he has dedicated to the team and the kind of ambassador he is for the organization. They owe Leftwich exactly $425,000.

We need to offer Batch a two-year contract at the end of the season and hope that Dixon is ready to assume the number two spot in 2010 if he's not ready by next season. If we kick him to the curb in favor of Leftwich, who's to say whether he would be receptive to a return, then we're maybe stuck looking for another one-year veteran stop gap.

The answer is Batch not Leftwich.

stlrz d
08-18-2008, 09:09 PM

That's exactly the problem and why I don't believe for a second that Batch is as good as gone. First, as mentioned, Leftwich probably has zero desire to stay on as the number two here and will look for a starting gig anywhere he can get it, or at least a situation where he has a chance to compete.

Secondly, as mentioned, Leftwich has yet to prove he's any better than Batch. CB is a leader in the locker room and in the community up there. While those things don't normally get mixed into the equation with as much weight as talent, I don't think Leftwich has the ability nor will he have the opportunity to show he is better than Batch.

I realize that it counts for next to nothing in thos game, but I also believe strongly in loyalty. This team owes Charlie Batch for the years he has dedicated to the team and the kind of ambassador he is for the organization. They owe Leftwich exactly $425,000.

We need to offer Batch a two-year contract at the end of the season and hope that Dixon is ready to assume the number two spot in 2010 if he's not ready by next season. If we kick him to the curb in favor of Leftwich, who's to say whether he would be receptive to a return, then we're maybe stuck looking for another one-year veteran stop gap.

Agreed. The only way Lefty stays is if he plays better, is willing to be a back up and keeps on accepting those non-starter sized paychecks.

Shawn
08-19-2008, 12:42 AM

Batch is like 107 yo and has a limp noodle arm. When asked to play BC ball he was a pretty good option. But, he seriously limits our playbook. Leftwich will not. Being a pillar of the community is nice but it doesn't win games. I seriously hope the Steelers can convince Leftwich to play out his career as a Steeler.