PDA

View Full Version : He's Back: Steelers sign tackle Orpheus Roye

costanza2k1
08-17-2008, 05:29 PM
The Steelers have signed veteran defensive tackle Orpheus Roye, who started his career in Pittsburgh A sixth-round draft pick in 1996, Roye played four seasons for the Steelers before signing with the Browns.

The 6-4, 330-pounder played for the Browns from 2000-07. He had 37 tackles (24 solo) and half a sack last season in 13 games.

The Steelers had signed defensive end Kevin Huntley late week but he flunked a physical and they waived him Saturday, opening up a roster spot.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
Back to headlines

RuthlessBurgher
08-17-2008, 05:46 PM
We got our wedge buster back!!! :lol:

costanza2k1
08-17-2008, 05:49 PM
I think he will provide us the depth that we need on our Dline and should be able to fill in nicely in spot duty. I read on the Gazette that he actually practiced today too.

steelz09
08-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Colbert must be reading these message boards for front office advise. This is a quality signing and will give us desperately needed depth, and allow him to get some playing time with rotating in. Our D-Line needed this type of boost in depth and members on this board have called for it.

Next thing you know, Starks will get cut. Then we'll really know if he's reading the material on this board :tt2

Ozey74
08-17-2008, 06:09 PM
Sweet crap this is some good news!!

Iron Shiek
08-17-2008, 06:09 PM
Colbert must be reading these message boards for front office advise. This is a quality signing and will give us desperately needed depth, and allow him to get some playing time with rotating in. Our D-Line needed this type of boost in depth and members on this board have called for it.

Next thing you know, Starks will get cut. Then we'll really know if he's reading the material on this board :tt2

Yes! Let's get the rotation going like the Giants last year, keep our guys fresh. I concur with the the excitement in this signing! :tt1

Ozey74
08-17-2008, 06:19 PM
Not only does he bring expirence that can make him a valuable locker room guy, but he his a proven player. Maybe he can share with the team some information that can be useful for us when we go against Cleveland!!

Does anyone know why Cleveland let him go?

:brownssuck

Ozey74
08-17-2008, 06:25 PM
http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/0 ... e_con.html (http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/02/cleveland_browns_terminate_con.html)

Found this regarding Roye's departure from Cleveland.

costanza2k1
08-17-2008, 06:29 PM
http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/02/cleveland_browns_terminate_con.html

Interesting...knee operations normally take 2 years to recover from dependent upon their severity (nope, I'm not a Dr.). Steelers wouldn't have signed him if he still had a problem or else they would've signed Booger who clearly isn't recovered. Great move by the Steelers our Dline depth issue is solved for this year and he's an upgrade over the folks that we currently have in our rotation.

Ozey74
08-17-2008, 06:37 PM

Interesting...knee operations normally take 2 years to recover from dependent upon their severity (nope, I'm not a Dr.). Steelers wouldn't have signed him if he still had a problem or else they would've signed Booger who clearly isn't recovered. Great move by the Steelers our Dline depth issue is solved for this year and he's an upgrade over the folks that we currently have in our rotation.

I agree with you. This is good for this year. We still have to address both lines next year. We will definitely have to address our D because of the age factor. It would be nice to have a few of our young O-Line members to exceed everyone's expectations, making that position not as pressing as it seems right now.

As far as picks go for 2009, they wont flashly by any means, but they will be needed
thats for sure.

:tt2

costanza2k1
08-17-2008, 06:42 PM

I agree with you. This is good for this year. We still have to address both lines next year. We will definitely have to address our D because of the age factor. It would be nice to have a few of our young O-Line members to exceed everyone's expectations, making that position not as pressing as it seems right now.

As far as picks go for 2009, they wont flashly by any means, but they will be needed
thats for sure.

I remember as a kid I would get upset when the Steelers drafted OL and DL and now I'm just praying that they get a chance to do it next year....crazy how perspectives change.

Ozey74
08-17-2008, 06:48 PM

thats for sure.

I remember as a kid I would get upset when the Steelers drafted OL and DL and now I'm just praying that they get a chance to do it next year....crazy how perspectives change.

That's funny!! I did the same thing. My first thought would be "great, who's this big 'oompa-loompa'?"

stlrz d
08-17-2008, 06:49 PM

That was my first thought when I saw the thread title. Dude used to blow people UP! :lol:

I think this is a pretty good signing...he provides depth and will be able to give some Browns intel.

I like it!

SteelTorch
08-17-2008, 07:02 PM
Nice signing! The dude's getting old, but he gives us depth and if he can still produce, then that will already be a big help for our D-line. :Clap

Les 74
08-17-2008, 07:13 PM
Browns intel.

Isn't this an oxymoron??? :lol:

MeetJoeGreene
08-17-2008, 07:21 PM

That was my first thought when I saw the thread title. Dude used to blow people UP! :lol:

I think this is a pretty good signing...he provides depth and will be able to give some Browns intel.

I like it!

Yeah. But I don't think at 35 he's going to be cruisin down the field bustin wedges.

Just a hunch.

Ozey74
08-17-2008, 07:35 PM

I like it!

Yeah. But I don't think at 35 he's going to be cruisin down the field bustin wedges.

Just a hunch.

Kemo Von Olhoffen is 37. He was productive 2 years ago. Hopefully Roye can be to.

stlrz d
08-17-2008, 07:55 PM
[quote="stlrz d":2ircjebm] Browns intel.

Isn't this an oxymoron??? :lol:[/quote:2ircjebm]

Lil bit. ;)

MJG - I didn't mean he would be a wedge buster again...just that I remember him being one and anytime I see his name that's what I think of.

AkronSteel
08-17-2008, 08:09 PM
I don't know fellas?

I guess O Roye can't be any worse that what was on the roster before he arrived, but I don't think this guy is going to give the team much this year. I have watched him for the last three years here in Northeast Ohio and he has done absolutely nothing.

I hope that I am wrong and he comes in and contributes something to the teams run D, but I'm not holding my breath.

:2c

stlrz d
08-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Don't the Browns play a 4-3?

In a 3-4 he really only has to occupy blockers at the point of attack.

AkronSteel
08-17-2008, 08:49 PM

Browns have been in a 3-4 scheme since Jabba took the team over in '05! He brought his system with him from New England.

costanza2k1
08-17-2008, 08:58 PM
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

The Steelers brought back a familiar face on Sunday when they signed defensive end Orpheus Roye.

Roye was originally drafted by the Steelers in the sixth round in 1996 and played four seasons for them. He signed with the Cleveland Browns in 2000 as an unrestricted free agent and played with them until he was released earlier this year.

”He is a veteran defensive lineman, a guy who knows how to play the game,” said head coach Mike Tomlin. “He is a professional. We will see what he is capable of doing and work him out. He had a very solid workout and seems to be in pretty good shape, so we will continue on him the next couple of weeks and see if he can find a seat on the bus, if you will.”

Roye, who has 360 career tackles and 18.5 sacks, signed mid-afternoon but managed join his teammates for the final practice of training camp, even though he was a bit late to take the field.

“I know I can help,” said Roye. “I have been around for a while. I was used to this defense. It will take me a while to get back, but I think I can contribute.”

Roye has the advantage of playing under defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau and defensive line coach John Mitchell during his earlier stint with the team, something that will be a great asset for him.

“The defense looks pretty much the same,” said Roye. “Everything is still good. You have to come out here and work. I am coming to a good defense. I have to come here and help them win. I have to find my role and do what I can to help the team win.”

stlrz d
08-17-2008, 09:01 PM

Browns have been in a 3-4 scheme since Jabba took the team over in '05! He brought his system with him from New England.

My bad...I only seem them twice a year when they play us. :oops:

Oh well, maybe the difference in personnel will work better for him!

RuthlessBurgher
08-17-2008, 09:58 PM
I don't know fellas?

I guess O Roye can't be any worse that what was on the roster before he arrived, but I don't think this guy is going to give the team much this year. I have watched him for the last three years here in Northeast Ohio and he has done absolutely nothing.

I hope that I am wrong and he comes in and contributes something to the teams run D, but I'm not holding my breath.

He's not a starter at this point in his career by any means, but as a backup that can rotate in occassionally to spell the starters and keep them fresh for the 4th quarter, he's a better option than the other Browns' d-line castoff on our roster, Nick Eason.

Flasteel
08-17-2008, 10:28 PM
I don't know fellas?

This is pretty much my take as well. "The Orficice" brings experienced depth and may be able to at least keep our guys fresh without giving too much up, but I'm not exactly excited by the move. I will say that despite being older, he's a much better fit than Booger in our scheme.

Steel Life
08-17-2008, 10:38 PM
It's a quality signing for a good wave defender at probably the vet minimum. But this does not mean they should stop looking for more help.

buckeyehoppy
08-18-2008, 12:43 AM
[quote="stlrz d":3r1v6zu4] Browns intel.

Isn't this an oxymoron??? :lol:[/quote:3r1v6zu4]

Why, yes, it is! :brownssuck

buckeyehoppy
08-18-2008, 12:51 AM
It's a quality signing for a good wave defender at probably the vet minimum. But this does not mean they should stop looking for more help.

The Steelers need to consider more guys as the waiver wire fills up in the next two weeks.

But Roye is a pro's pro. One of the few guys on the Clowns I actually had respect for because he is one of those lunch bucket types who brings it every game. He has a lot of mileage, but the Steelers probably won't be asking him to do much more than spell the starters and give them a break as the game progresses.

I'm not thrilled with the move. But, as Marvie Lewis likes to say, "It is what it is."

phillyesq
08-18-2008, 08:39 AM
Anybody else notice this in the article from Steelers.com:

bad word LeBeau

Filters are a bit sensitive here.

I think this is a very good signing. Nobody is going to count on Roye to start, but he should be a much more effective rotational player than Nick Eason, who hopefully will be sent packing. I wonder if all the focus on DE means that McBean isn't progressing as hoped. From what I've read, he has the natural talent, but needs a lot of work on his consistency.

Oviedo
08-18-2008, 08:56 AM
I don't think this is the last DL signing. The coaches are obviously unhappy with the options. McBean will be interesting because I'm not sure he lasts on the practice squad for the entire year without getting picked off.

You have to think DL is the #1 priority going into FA and the draft next year, particularly since Hampton has shown himself as unreliable.

phillyesq
08-18-2008, 09:12 AM
You have to think DL is the #1 priority going into FA and the draft next year, particularly since Hampton has shown himself as unreliable.

I'd hope that it is a priority next year, but I think that many of us thought that it would be this year too. Then again, really hard to complain about talent like Mendenhall and Sweed falling in the draft like they did.

Iron Shiek
08-18-2008, 09:46 AM

bad word LeBeau

I think this is a very good signing. Nobody is going to count on Roye to start, but he should be a much more effective rotational player than Nick Eason, who hopefully will be sent packing. I wonder if all the focus on DE means that McBean isn't progressing as hoped. From what I've read, he has the natural talent, but needs a lot of work on his consistency.

Its my favorite feature of the entire website...sorry I've said it before, but I find it funny everytime i see "bad word LeBeau". I was reading that article in this thread and almost choked on my sausage sandwich at my desk here at work...

RuthlessBurgher
08-18-2008, 10:09 AM

bad word LeBeau

Its my favorite feature of the entire website...sorry I've said it before, but I find it funny everytime i see "bad word LeBeau". I was reading that article in this thread and almost choked on my sausage sandwich at my desk here at work...

Even on the Comedy Central Roast of Bob Saget last night, which bleeped out every other word it seemed, allowed d!ck and @$$ to slide through, and not just in reference to donkeys or nicknames for Richard either. :lol:

Steel Life
08-19-2008, 01:10 AM
I don't think this is the last DL signing. The coaches are obviously unhappy with the options. McBean will be interesting because I'm not sure he lasts on the practice squad for the entire year without getting picked off.

I don't know O...Nua never seemed to get picked up despite living on the PS. But maybe McBean is just a "pin the ears back" type of DL & someone will take a shot. But then again, there might be some attractive players on the waiver wire like Keilen Dykes (WVU) or Nate Robinson (Akron) who seem like 3-4 guys.

As for your assessment of next year's priorities - you're exactly right, it will be DL in FA as there's no one coming up that is really pro 3-4 material (except maybe LSU's Tyson Jackson, Clemson's Dorell Scott or BC's BJ Raji). The draft will focus on the OL...(Duke Robinson :!: )

BIG FAN
08-19-2008, 01:25 AM
I dont really think this is the greatest thing we could have done getting him back, but it is certainly not the worst.
Next year will have to have the signings of two, possibly three FA's to bolster our lines, we have to go shopping for them as we have not really addressed either lines the last two years with anyone of immediate impact quality. As I have said so many times last year befor the draft, it's going to take us at least two years to get these players. Probably still will.
While I'm happy with the prospects we got in Mendenhall and Sweed I dont think either can play center or tackle, much less stop the run.
Maybe Orpheus still got a little left, who knows?