PDA

View Full Version : Teams that run the ball & can stop the run are tough to beat

RuthlessBurgher
08-17-2008, 04:23 PM
That has been the Steelers' calling card for years...running the ball and stopping the run. However, a new team has emerged that is even better than us, and our head coach happened to come here from there. Last season, the Vikings led the league in both categories, with the Steelers taking the bronze medal as the third best team in the league in both categories (Minnesota ran for almost 30 yards more per game last year than we did, and gave up about 15 yards per game less on the ground). I'm glad we are playing them in the 3rd preseason game, where teams traditionally play their starters the longest. That means that we get an extended look to see how our starting front 7 will hold up against Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor, and we also get to see how Willie Parker and Rashard Mendenhall do running against the wall of Kevin Williams, Pat Williams, Jared Allen, etc. The best way to grow is by challenging yourself when you are going up against the best the league has to offer. I am looking forward to seeing who steps up to the challenge on Saturday night (I'm looking at you, members of the o-line and d-line!). Remember, this game is being shown live on CBS for all those folks who have been forced to search out internet feeds to watch the games up to this point. Woo hoo!!!

Ozey74
08-17-2008, 04:29 PM
I will have to TIVO this game & watch on Sunday. I hope we can redeem ourselves from what happend against the Bills. If so, I will feel much better going into the season reguardless of what happens against Carolina.

:Beer

ramblinjim
08-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Here here! This game will be a good measuring stick as to "where we are". I'm looking forward to it.

RuthlessBurgher
08-17-2008, 05:45 PM
After spraining his MCL against the Ravens, it looks like we won't be seeing Tarvaris Jackson, though. Looks like Frerotte, Bollinger, and John David Booty.

Iron Shiek
08-17-2008, 06:12 PM
After spraining his MCL against the Ravens, it looks like we won't be seeing Tarvaris Jackson, though. Looks like Frerotte, Bollinger, and John David Booty.

As much as people were calling for the Vikings to sign a "bigger" name to QB, I thought Jackson was doing a decent job this year so far in preseason. I hope his injury isn't prolonged.

Ozey74
08-17-2008, 06:15 PM

This is unfortunate. I would like to go up against the best they have to offer. After what Trent Edwards did to our first string D, I was hoping to go up against someone that was at leat equally as talent as him. Hard to believe the talent of the opposing QB would be less the Edwards.

If that boob Frerotte has the success that Edwards did, I will be concerned.

stlrz d
08-17-2008, 06:51 PM
Remember, this game is being shown live on CBS for all those folks who have been forced to search out internet feeds to watch the games up to this point. Woo hoo!!!

You can say that again! :tt1

Mel Blount's G
08-17-2008, 07:30 PM
I would put the jags in this category. They dominated us at the los last year....beat us at our own game

costanza2k1
08-17-2008, 09:02 PM
At this moment I believe our best option at running for the short yardage is Russell, Mendenhall needs to learn how to get low fast in order to fall forward instead of his back.

Flasteel
08-17-2008, 10:49 PM
That has been the Steelers' calling card for years...running the ball and stopping the run. However, a new team has emerged that is even better than us, and our head coach happened to come here from there. Last season, the Vikings led the league in both categories, with the Steelers taking the bronze medal as the third best team in the league in both categories (Minnesota ran for almost 30 yards more per game last year than we did, and gave up about 15 yards per game less on the ground). I'm glad we are playing them in the 3rd preseason game, where teams traditionally play their starters the longest. That means that we get an extended look to see how our starting front 7 will hold up against Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor, and we also get to see how Willie Parker and Rashard Mendenhall do running against the wall of Kevin Williams, Pat Williams, Jared Allen, etc. The best way to grow is by challenging yourself when you are going up against the best the league has to offer. I am looking forward to seeing who steps up to the challenge on Saturday night (I'm looking at you, members of the o-line and d-line!). Remember, this game is being shown live on CBS for all those folks who have been forced to search out internet feeds to watch the games up to this point. Woo hoo!!!

That adage is about as true as it gets in football and is strongly correlated with the play you get out of your offensive and defensive lines. We have been very solid for a long time against the run until the collapse last year and I'm hopeful that A. Smith's return helps us get back to our usual dominance, but I'm a little skeptical with the shape of Hampton and the liability that is Brett Kiesel. Our depth at linebacker should be a plus in this regard, so it'll be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

Offensively, I think the additions of Mendenhall and Hartwig are going to make us a far more effective running team then last season. I also think that as Ben and the passing game evolve it will back everyone out of the box and give our backs some room as well. I wonder however if the commitment to run the ball will remain as strong with so many weapons in the passing game. I hope so, because the best way to hide a porous offensive line is by pounding the rock and putting those big uglies in attack mode.

All in all, I expect us to be near the top in both categories again, but don't think we'll be leading the league in either.