PDA

View Full Version : The Lightning Bolt

papillon
08-16-2008, 11:49 PM
Did anyone watch Usain Bolt run the 100M sprint? He shut it down with 20 meters to go and still ran a 9.69 to set a new world record. The announcers are saying Bolt may have thrown away a 9.59 his top end speed was somewhere around 30 mph.

It was fun to watch.

Pappy

buckeyehoppy
08-17-2008, 12:44 AM
Did anyone watch Usain Bolt run the 100M sprint? He shut it down with 20 meters to go and still ran a 9.69 to set a new world record. The announcers are saying Bolt may have thrown away a 9.59 his top end speed was somewhere around 30 mph.

It was fun to watch.

Pappy

Dude might have pi$$ed away a sub-9.5 with that effort.

If I am lucky enough to live another 30 years, someone will beat 9 seconds in the 100 meters. I would live to see that happen, and it will make Bolt's showboat in these Olympics look like a slow boat to China.

papillon
08-17-2008, 07:55 AM

It was fun to watch.

Pappy

If I am lucky enough to live another 30 years, someone will beat 9 seconds in the 100 meters. I would live to see that happen, and it will make Bolt's showboat in these Olympics look like a slow boat to China.

The 100 meters has to be getting to the point soon of having to measure the times in thousandths of a second. Bolt may get it below 9.5, but, to shave 1/2 second off of the record in the next 30 years would be incredible.

Physics, human physiology and time have to be at their limits in this race. The sprinter that get out of the blocks and maintain top end for the longest time will be the sprinter that knocks some hundredths off of the time; but, to take a 1/2 second or more might be close to physically impossible.

PAppy

buckeyehoppy
08-17-2008, 10:56 AM

It was fun to watch.

Pappy

The 100 meters has to be getting to the point soon of having to measure the times in thousandths of a second. Bolt may get it below 9.5, but, to shave 1/2 second off of the record in the next 30 years would be incredible.

Physics, human physiology and time have to be at their limits in this race. The sprinter that get out of the blocks and maintain top end for the longest time will be the sprinter that knocks some hundredths off of the time; but, to take a 1/2 second or more might be close to physically impossible.

PAppy

You're probably right, Pappy! How would it be physiologically possible to run a sub 9? I'm not at all sure

But I'm pretty sure Bolt would have shaved 1/5th of a second off the "old" WR. That's unreal. It's also why there's a chance at a sub 9 second 100M in the next thirty years. It's not really likely. But if Bolt runs all the way through the finish line, it would get people thinking.

Chances are, however, that if Bolt runs through with a 9.48 instead of a 9.68 like he did, it would have just as likely created a record that could have stood for a while like the Beamon 30 foot LJ.

LasVegasGuy
08-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Can the dude catch a football? I don't mean an every down reciever because he would get killed. I mean taking the "bomb" to new levels. Can you imagine a DB trying to hang with this dude.

Shawn
08-19-2008, 04:34 PM
Can the dude catch a football? I don't mean an every down reciever because he would get killed. I mean taking the "bomb" to new levels. Can you imagine a DB trying to hang with this dude.

I agree.

Iron Shiek
08-21-2008, 01:13 PM
James Jett anyone? Speed Kills..

stlrz d
08-21-2008, 02:06 PM
I think it's been tried a few times and never really works. Renaldo Neahiah (sp?) or Willie Gault anyone?

MeetJoeGreene
08-21-2008, 02:39 PM
He is probably on juice.

They don't have year round testing in Jamaica... mon.

LasVegasGuy
08-21-2008, 05:44 PM
I think it's been tried a few times and never really works. Renaldo Neahiah (sp?) or Willie Gault anyone?

They tried to make those guys everydown recievers that's where the failed. They had speed but didn't have the moves to get open.

stlrz d
08-21-2008, 07:28 PM

They tried to make those guys everydown recievers that's where the failed. They had speed but didn't have the moves to get open.

But if this guy's the same way (speed but no moves) why would it work?

If some team tries this experiment with him I sure as hell hope it's not the Steelers.

NKySteeler
08-21-2008, 08:02 PM
If some team tries this experiment with him I sure as hell hope it's not the Steelers.

:Clap :Clap ... HERE! HERE! ... I agree! (not that it would ever happen here...)

BTW... Yes, his run was very impressive. But the way he pulled-up, almost "celebrating" before he crossed the finish line was just not right... It reminded me of Deion Sanders high-stepping across the goal line. ... It just reeked of "classlessness" IMO, not to mention that he could have had a better time if he pushed all the way to the end... He definitely has speed.

...But as someone else already said, it's not just about the speed. He would have to hold onto the ball, make moves, and also be able to take a hit. ... I just don't see it happening anywhere soon.

LasVegasGuy
08-22-2008, 12:28 AM

:Clap :Clap ... HERE! HERE! ... I agree! (not that it would ever happen here...)

BTW... Yes, his run was very impressive. But the way he pulled-up, almost "celebrating" before he crossed the finish line was just not right... It reminded me of Deion Sanders high-stepping across the goal line. ... It just reeked of "classlessness" IMO, not to mention that he could have had a better time if he pushed all the way to the end... He definitely has speed.

...But as someone else already said, it's not just about the speed. He would have to hold onto the ball, make moves, and also be able to take a hit. ... I just don't see it happening anywhere soon.

Guys I wasn't trying to be serious. Besides I wouldn't want to waste a roster spot on a guy we may use 1 or 2 times a game. I was just thinking how funny it would be to see a db trying to hang with a full on sprint down the sidelines with Ben trying to over throw them. :lol: :lol:

stlrz d
08-22-2008, 07:28 AM

Guys I wasn't trying to be serious. Besides I wouldn't want to waste a roster spot on a guy we may use 1 or 2 times a game. I was just thinking how funny it would be to see a db trying to hang with a full on sprint down the sidelines with Ben trying to over throw them. :lol: :lol:

:Clap

:D

LasVegasGuy
08-22-2008, 11:22 AM
[quote="stlrz d":zm0evo0y]If some team tries this experiment with him I sure as hell hope it's not the Steelers.

:D[/quote:zm0evo0y]

Someone else was thinking the same thing.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessioni ... nfirm=true (http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=BFB24DD2AFD4E534214CB49AEEC34280? id=09000d5d80a2be46&template=with-video&confirm=true)

SteelStallion
08-22-2008, 12:01 PM
He was just incredible esp. in the 200. No doubt Steeler fans world wide had the exact same thought at the exact same time.

stlrz d
08-22-2008, 02:36 PM
[quote="stlrz d":xs7e6wd8]If some team tries this experiment with him I sure as hell hope it's not the Steelers.

:D

Someone else was thinking the same thing.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessioni ... nfirm=true (http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=BFB24DD2AFD4E534214CB49AEEC34280? id=09000d5d80a2be46&template=with-video&confirm=true)[/quote:xs7e6wd8]

There's a thread on the Ravens board about it as well.

RuthlessBurgher
08-22-2008, 11:51 PM
Make him a pinch runner in baseball instead. Tie game in the ninth, you get a guy on first, Bolt should be able to steal 2nd and 3rd without much of a problem. Then sac fly him home for the win.

LasVegasGuy
08-24-2008, 01:00 PM
Make him a pinch runner in baseball instead. Tie game in the ninth, you get a guy on first, Bolt should be able to steal 2nd and 3rd without much of a problem. Then sac fly him home for the win.

Awesome idea? I bet teams could add 10 wins a year at least. How many times does a team enter the 9th inning tied or down by a run?