PDA

View Full Version : DirecTV

stlrz d
08-15-2008, 11:00 PM
So I've got it now. I'm not thrilled about this whole "you can't split satellite signal" thing because it means if I'm watching TV and TiVo records something, I have to decide...do I watch the show being recorded or skip it? I don't like that one bit!

I'm liking all the HD channels and I'll be thrilled with watching every Steelers game at home (thank you Sunday Ticket)...so I guess I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Other than that, what can you tell me about it?

NKySteeler
08-16-2008, 11:40 PM
stlrz, if you have HD with it (and a 5-LNB dish, which has become the norm for installation), you shouldn't have to "split" or choose between anything. You should actually be able to record TWO different shows at the same time while watching a third... If you cannot do this, I suggest you question the folks that installed your system...

stlrz d
08-17-2008, 12:43 AM
stlrz, if you have HD with it (and a 5-LNB dish, which has become the norm for installation), you shouldn't have to "split" or choose between anything. You should actually be able to record TWO different shows at the same time while watching a third... If you cannot do this, I suggest you question the folks that installed your system...

I do have that.

With cable I run a line into the house. That line goes into a splitter...that sends one line to the cable box and one line to the TiVo.

I was told that satellite signal can not be split in that manner. The satellite box and TiVo box are two separate units.

Remember, I am "splitting the dish" with a co worker. This installation was a "side job" performed by a guy who used to work for DirecTv. ;)

LasVegasGuy
08-17-2008, 11:58 AM
TIVO is not associated with Direct TV and their is no way for Direct TV to talk to it because it doesn't have an activation card in it.

I think the only choice for you is to exchange your current reciever with a Direct TV HD/DVR. Then you can run (2) separate lines from the LNB's on the dish to the HD/DVR receiver and then scrap TIVO all together.

You will still be able to record shows digitally, watch one and record another. The only thing you would lose is the TIVO service which I think is no different from the DVR service provided by Direct TV. Same premise behind both just called different things.

NKySteeler
08-17-2008, 03:07 PM
stlrz, LVG is right about the equipment. Tivo separated from Directv a year or two ago. By switching to the Directv brand, it should all be in one unit, and possibly solving your problem... The thing I don't understand is why he only ran a single line into your house... When I upgraded to HD last year, they had to add another line (physically one line of dual-cable, but it incorporates two feeds into the back of the receiver). So I actually have multiple lines to all the receivers (they said it was required to utilize the dual-recording feature). ... Maybe your guy can do this for you.

proudpittsburgher
08-17-2008, 04:26 PM
We have a pair of dishes on the roof, one for local channels and one for premium channels. We have a DirecTV receiver with dvr, so we are able to record one program while watching another. That being said, we can not record two shows at the same time and watch a third. Only two lines coming in. Check out ebay, you might be able to get a free dvr directv receiver.

I've had directv for about 5 years now, and sunday ticket for all five as well. I will never go back to cable, ever. I love directv and have rarely if ever had trouble with it that wasn;t solved within five minutes over the phone. congrats on your purchase and welcome to the DTV family. Oh yea, screw comcast!!!!! :tt2

stlrz d
08-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I didn't buy the DVR box because I have TiVo and at least a year and a half of TiVo service paid in advance (I paid for 3 years right away to lower the "monthly" fee).

I have a workaround in place though since cable isn't canceled yet...I have the cable box and TiVo still in the loop. Yes, I have cable AND satellite right now! :P

I talked to the guy who did the install on the side for me (dish and install for $100) and he's gonna help me out again. I'll go on eBay or craigslist and buy a cable box (I used to have one and sold it...dangit!). Once the cable is shut off he said he'll come back out, go up on the pole and pull out the filters! :D

Once the TiVo service is done then I'll decide if I want to pay for more or just upgrade to the DirecTv DVR. I've had a cable DVR before and they're nice, but NOTHING like TiVo. TiVo is like DVR +++. Unless DVRs are at the point now where you can put in wishlists (actors you like, sports teams you like, etc) or they offer you up suggested viewings based on what you watch...well, it's going to be tough to give up TiVo. You have no idea how many movies this thing records for me without me even asking!

http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/howto/getthe ... p-wishlist (http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/howto/getthemostoutoftv/howto_create_wishlist_search.html?WT.z_links=howto-setup-wishlist)

LasVegasGuy
08-17-2008, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I didn't buy the DVR box because I have TiVo and at least a year and a half of TiVo service paid in advance (I paid for 3 years right away to lower the "monthly" fee).

I have a workaround in place though since cable isn't canceled yet...I have the cable box and TiVo still in the loop. Yes, I have cable AND satellite right now! :P

I talked to the guy who did the install on the side for me (dish and install for $100) and he's gonna help me out again. I'll go on eBay or craigslist and buy a cable box (I used to have one and sold it...dangit!). Once the cable is shut off he said he'll come back out, go up on the pole and pull out the filters! :D

Once the TiVo service is done then I'll decide if I want to pay for more or just upgrade to the DirecTv DVR. I've had a cable DVR before and they're nice, but NOTHING like TiVo. TiVo is like DVR +++. Unless DVRs are at the point now where you can put in wishlists (actors you like, sports teams you like, etc) or they offer you up suggested viewings based on what you watch...well, it's going to be tough to give up TiVo. You have no idea how many movies this thing records for me without me even asking!

http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/howto/getthe ... p-wishlist (http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/howto/getthemostoutoftv/howto_create_wishlist_search.html?WT.z_links=howto-setup-wishlist)

The Direct TV DVR is that intuative yet. You can search for programs under actor, sports, etc but you have to set the controls to record it won't do it for you. Your buddy sounds like the Russian guys on Seinfeld who were going to "fix him up" so he can get all the Met games.

I've heard there is a way to cheat Direct TV by getting a blank card and a programming device to program the card. Then when Direct TV zaps you you can go on line and download the update to your programming device. You then pull the card out of the reciever reprogram it and slip it back into the reciever and your back in business. Any truth to that next time you see him? I would love to pay for the basic service and get all the channels for free including Sunday Ticket and Pay per view.

stlrz d
08-17-2008, 10:31 PM

The Direct TV DVR is that intuative yet. You can search for programs under actor, sports, etc but you have to set the controls to record it won't do it for you. Your buddy sounds like the Russian guys on Seinfeld who were going to "fix him up" so he can get all the Met games.

I've heard there is a way to cheat Direct TV by getting a blank card and a programming device to program the card. Then when Direct TV zaps you you can go on line and download the update to your programming device. You then pull the card out of the reciever reprogram it and slip it back into the reciever and your back in business. Any truth to that next time you see him? I would love to pay for the basic service and get all the channels for free including Sunday Ticket and Pay per view.

TiVo WILL change your life!

Heh, I forgot about that one! The Russians!!! :lol:

I don't know if that works or not as I've never had anything but cable before. I will ask though and let you know what he says.

Oh, another added bonus...the guy I'm "splitting" the dish with? He's a big baseball fan and bought the MLB Extra Innings package. So when I feel like it (which isn't too often) I have my pick of MLB games to watch.

But I simply can't wait to see each and every Steelers game at home this season!!!!! :tt2

LasVegasGuy
08-18-2008, 12:49 PM
[quote="stlrz d":u17xp1un]Thanks for the input everyone. I didn't buy the DVR box because I have TiVo and at least a year and a half of TiVo service paid in advance (I paid for 3 years right away to lower the "monthly" fee).

TiVo WILL change your life!

Heh, I forgot about that one! The Russians!!! :lol:

I don't know if that works or not as I've never had anything but cable before. I will ask though and let you know what he says.

Oh, another added bonus...the guy I'm "splitting" the dish with? He's a big baseball fan and bought the MLB Extra Innings package. So when I feel like it (which isn't too often) I have my pick of MLB games to watch.

But I simply can't wait to see each and every Steelers game at home this season!!!!! :tt2[/quote:u17xp1un]

It's awesome getting any game you want. No more worrying about what is on T.V. or leaving the house to watch what you want. You will love it.

stlrz d
08-18-2008, 02:13 PM
It's a way of life!

Or is that "no" life? :lol:

LasVegasGuy
08-18-2008, 04:24 PM
It's a way of life!

Now if you can get your buddy to register his account online with Direct TV and give you the username and password you would then have access to all the games via SUPERCAST. So if you head out of town or work or whatever as long as you can get to an internet connection you can log onto his account and watch the Steelers anywhere. It's one of the luxuries of having Sunday Ticket.

stlrz d
08-18-2008, 09:04 PM
It's a way of life!

Now if you can get your buddy to register his account online with Direct TV and give you the username and password you would then have access to all the games via SUPERCAST. So if you head out of town or work or whatever as long as you can get to an internet connection you can log onto his account and watch the Steelers anywhere. It's one of the luxuries of having Sunday Ticket.

Someone here did that for me once or twice last season...it was quite nice and greatly appreciated!

However, I don't see any traveling in my future so I think I'm ok with just the ticket.

proudpittsburgher
08-18-2008, 10:01 PM
[quote="stlrz d":3od0x3rk]It's a way of life!

Someone here did that for me once or twice last season...it was quite nice and greatly appreciated!

However, I don't see any traveling in my future so I think I'm ok with just the ticket.[/quote:3od0x3rk]

It's a luxury for sure, but you have to add superfan for an extra 100 bucks to have access to that.

LasVegasGuy
08-18-2008, 11:39 PM
[quote="stlrz d":346j0as6]It's a way of life!

However, I don't see any traveling in my future so I think I'm ok with just the ticket.

It's a luxury for sure, but you have to add superfan for an extra 100 bucks to have access to that.[/quote:346j0as6]

That's right. I forgot about the extra hundred buck charge for the Superfan.

proudpittsburgher
08-19-2008, 09:45 AM
[quote="stlrz d":1izsdamu]It's a way of life!

It's a luxury for sure, but you have to add superfan for an extra 100 bucks to have access to that.

That's right. I forgot about the extra hundred buck charge for the Superfan.[/quote:1izsdamu]

I'm glad someone pointed it out though, I didn;t know anythign about it. I'm gonna pass on superfan because I don't have nmy hi-def receiver yet,a nd can't fork over the extra cash for the HD service, but when I get that receiver, I'm getting superfan. The internet service thing is really great.

costanza2k1
08-20-2008, 09:43 AM
The ability to watch the games on the net was overrated in my opinion until I had to travel to Brazil for work. I met 1 more Steelers fan on our account out there and we watched the game in the lobby with the hotel staff serving us cold ones...that pretty much rocked. It runs on slingmedia and is truly amazing! I love it and would pay $100 every year for it just in case something nutty happens again (you never know about work)

proudpittsburgher
08-20-2008, 09:57 AM
The ability to watch the games on the net was overrated in my opinion until I had to travel to Brazil for work. I met 1 more Steelers fan on our account out there and we watched the game in the lobby with the hotel staff serving us cold ones...that pretty much rocked. It runs on slingmedia and is truly amazing! I love it and would pay $100 every year for it just in case something nutty happens again (you never know about work)

Can DirecTV and Sunday Ticket get any better? I swear, as expensive as it is, I would pay twice as much for the service, and I really don't have the money. :Beer

NKySteeler
08-20-2008, 06:47 PM
Superfan is worth it IMO... Highlights on demand, the 8-in-1 channel, RZC, and the ability to input your fantasy line-up and follow them each week.... But stlrz, I don't think your tivo box will be compatible with it...

stlrz d
08-20-2008, 07:37 PM
Superfan is worth it IMO... Highlights on demand, the 8-in-1 channel, RZC, and the ability to input your fantasy line-up and follow them each week.... But stlrz, I don't think your tivo box will be compatible with it...

We're paying just under $400 for Sunday Ticket in HD...Superfan wasn't even in the conversation! :nono

proudpittsburgher
08-20-2008, 09:36 PM

I think the fantasy lineup thingy is in the main package, or at least it was last season. It was really nice, too.

stlrz d
08-20-2008, 10:20 PM

I think the fantasy lineup thingy is in the main package, or at least it was last season. It was really nice, too.

Time Warner Cable has that but it gives you scores for ALL your players, not just your starters. So if you wanted it to be accurate you had to take out players that weren't starting for you that week and put in the ones who were.

It was a PITA to do so I didn't use it. I'll admit the time I did try it though it was pretty cool to have a ticker with just my players' stats. :D

NKySteeler
08-20-2008, 11:00 PM
... With the interactive function, it will only list the players you input into the system...

NKySteeler
08-20-2008, 11:04 PM

We're paying just under $400 for Sunday Ticket in HD...Superfan wasn't even in the conversation! :nono

Actually, a few others brought up the Superfan thing.... But if you're paying $400 for the Ticket, I hope they're "kissing" you first before bending you over...

stlrz d
08-20-2008, 11:10 PM

Actually, a few others brought up the Superfan thing.... But if you're paying $400 for the Ticket, I hope they're "kissing" you first before bending you over...

It's $290 for the ticket and $90 for the HD package.

That's not the normal price?

NKySteeler
08-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Maybe I'm getting a "retro" deal or something, but I'm not paying that much...

For $400 I can get the ticket ($225), superfan ($100), four months of FSP ($12/month), and still be able to order two pizzas delivered....

BTW, not ALL games will be in HD on the ticket.... Unless they changed it from last season... But some of the 4pm games are not done in HD.... Maybe it is different this season, but I have not heard otherwise...

stlrz d
08-20-2008, 11:21 PM
Maybe I'm getting a "retro" deal or something, but I'm not paying that much...

For $400 I can get the ticket ($225), superfan ($100), four months of FSP ($12/month), and still be able to order two pizzas delivered....

BTW, not ALL games will be in HD on the ticket.... Unless they changed it from last season... But some of the 4pm games are not done in HD.... Maybe it is different this season, but I have not heard otherwise...

I think I need to ask my "dish buddy" to check into this!

Iron Shiek
08-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Haha, the comment about paying twice as much is funny. Me and my friend say the same thing all the time. Its worth it.

I got a sweet deal from DTV as well. I moved into a new house and started new service so eventually negotiated down to getting Ticket and 4 months of ALL channels (HBO, Showtime, etc included) for 59.99. So I gonna end up paying 240 for Ticket plus all channels. Then after that four months I just cancel all those extras. Not bad. I gotta get the Superfan though...screw Non-HD...I didn't get the plasma for nothing.