PDA

View Full Version : LEFTWICH TAKES SHOT AT DAUNTE?

fordfixer
08-14-2008, 11:32 PM
LEFTWICH TAKES SHOT AT DAUNTE?
Posted by Mike Florio on August 12, 2008, 5:49 p.m. EDT
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/ ... at-daunte/ (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/12/leftwich-takes-shot-at-daunte/)

New Steelers quarterback Byron Leftwich, who joined the team two days ago with no guarantee that he’d be anything other than the short-term backup to starter Ben Roethlisberger, might have taken a shot on Monday at quarterback Daunte Culpepper.

Both Leftwich and Culpepper came to Steelers’ training camp on Sunday, with the team planning to sign at least one of them. (There were indications that both could be added.) Culpepper reportedly opted against signing with the Steelers because he still wants to be a starter, and that he apparently was hoping to compete for the starting job in Pittsburgh.

Said Leftwich on Monday, according to the Washington (Pa.) Observer-Reporter, “Only a fool would come here believing you have a chance to start when you have [Ben Roethlisberger] here. They’ve got Ben here and Ben’s a hell of a quarterback.”

Rrrrrow.

Meanwhile, Charlie Batch could eventually be joining Culpepper in the ranks of the unemployed. According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Leftwich could keep the No. 2 gig for the entire season.

“Byron was a No. 1 pick, the seventh overall in the draft,” quarterbacks coach Ken Anderson said. “He’s started in the league, won games in the league. We’re happy to have him here to kind of bail us out.”

One possibility would be to place Batch on injured reserve and to use Leftwich as the No. 2 and rookie Dennis Dixon as No. 3. The team apparently hopes to keep Dixon on the active roster, since attempting to put him on the practice squad would expose him to the waiver system.

But at this point it’s impossible to rule out the chance that the Steelers will conclude that Leftwich is a significant upgrade to Batch, and that the time has come to part ways with the Pittsburgh native who has happily served as an understudy for his entire time with the team.

BIG FAN
08-15-2008, 06:14 AM
Give him a one and only break.
Throws harder than I thought, wish he was accuate.

Shawn
08-15-2008, 07:40 AM
And I believe thats what will happen. Dixon looked good last night...no way does the guy get placed on the PS. Which means they will have to pick...and I believe that the pick will be Leftwich.

Ozey74
08-15-2008, 07:43 AM
I think Batch may of dug his own grave by not ducking that tackle against Philly.

Shawn
08-15-2008, 07:50 AM
Lets call this what it is...Batch is 33 1/2. His arm is ehhh. He can't make all the throws.
He does know the system, is a good game manager, and is well liked by teammates. But, there is a HUGE drop off when Ben gets hurt. We have to alter the O significantly. Leftwich gives the Steelers the ability to continue with the offensive theme which is the ability to hit any part of the field on any given play. Leftwich can flat out throw a ball when healthy.

frankthetank1
08-15-2008, 08:37 AM
so how did leftwich take a shot at culpepper?

Ozey74
08-15-2008, 08:40 AM
“Only a fool would come here believing you have a chance to start when you have [Ben Roethlisberger] here. They’ve got Ben here and Ben’s a hell of a quarterback.” -Leftwich.

This could be viewed by some as an indirect shot. I really don't see it as a big deal.

frankthetank1
08-15-2008, 08:41 AM
“Only a fool would come here believing you have a chance to start when you have [Ben Roethlisberger] here. They’ve got Ben here and Ben’s a hell of a quarterback.” -Leftwich.

This could be viewed by some as an indirect shot. I really don't see it as a big deal.

oh ok thats what i thought, but thats the truth so i didnt really see it as a shot at all. im glad leftwich know's his role and has a grip on reality

Iron Shiek
08-15-2008, 08:44 AM

Exactly. Just another case of the media not having anything to write about so lets take one small, meaningless comment and make a big deal about it.

Now if he said, "That duma$$ Daunte thought he could start?? Hahahaha, that's the funniest $hit I heard in a long time. You don't roll up to Pittsburgh expecting to start. The f*cks wrong witchu. Hey Daunte, if you are reading this, you are a f*cking idiot."

Now that might be construed as taking a shot at someone.

BIG FAN
08-15-2008, 08:44 AM
And I believe thats what will happen. Dixon looked good last night...no way does the guy get placed on the PS. Which means they will have to pick...and I believe that the pick will be Leftwich.

Doc, I hate when you make sense.

ghettoscott
08-15-2008, 09:04 AM
Now if he said, "That duma$$ Daunte thought he could start?? Hahahaha, that's the funniest $hit I heard in a long time. You don't roll up to Pittsburgh expecting to start. The f*cks wrong witchu. Hey Daunte, if you are reading this, you are a f*cking idiot."

:lol:

DukieBoy
08-15-2008, 10:26 AM

Exactly. Just another case of the media not having anything to write about so lets take one small, meaningless comment and make a big deal about it.

Now that might be construed as taking a shot at someone.

Exactly exactly. Tabloid journalism, like the powerless weak punk kid trying to become significant by inciting a conflict between two other people .... "Did you hear what he said about you? ... Does't that p!$$ you off? ...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-15-2008, 10:41 AM

oh ok thats what i thought, but thats the truth so i didnt really see it as a shot at all. im glad leftwich know's his role and has a grip on reality

Not only don't I think he took a shot, but I will bet you that quote came as an answer to a question like "Do you expect to have a chance to start, Byron?" and they just happened to put his answer right after the part of the story where they talk about Culpepper wanting to start somewhere.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-15-2008, 11:26 AM
I may be a minority on this, but I don't think Lefty's performance last night made it a no-brainer that Batch has got to go now. IMO, that's way premature, at least until Lefty can show that he knows how to throw the ball so someone on his team can catch it. I'm not saying that 3 days on the team before the game gave him his best chance to show his stuff, but I'm more in favor of keeping options open with Batch for now.

I think a more cautious strategy by the FO would be if Lefty can't show that he can compete/complete, let him go when Batch is healthy, and look to pick up another backup down the road.

frankthetank1
08-15-2008, 11:27 AM

Not only don't I think he took a shot, but I will bet you that quote came as an answer to a question like "Do you expect to have a chance to start, Byron?" and they just happened to put his answer right after the part of the story where they talk about Culpepper wanting to start somewhere.

im sure you are right. journalists like that should be ashamed of themselves. fabricating stories just to get some kind of conflict is so pathetic. i hate to see journalists abuse their power

MeetJoeGreene
08-15-2008, 11:52 AM
I may be a minority on this, but I don't think Lefty's performance last night made it a no-brainer that Batch has got to go now. IMO, that's way premature, at least until Lefty can show that he knows how to throw the ball so someone on his team can catch it. I'm .

Hey... he did what no other Quarterback has been able to do... he got Nate Washington to catch a couple. :P

He did miss some, but he just started on Sunday,,,,,

frankthetank1
08-15-2008, 11:59 AM
I may be a minority on this, but I don't think Lefty's performance last night made it a no-brainer that Batch has got to go now. IMO, that's way premature, at least until Lefty can show that he knows how to throw the ball so someone on his team can catch it. I'm .

Hey... he did what no other Quarterback has been able to do... he got Nate Washington to catch a couple. :P

He did miss some, but he just started on Sunday,,,,,

i did not see the game last night but i agree with sa steeler. getting rid of batch before leftwich has proven himself worthy would be a huge mistake

SteelerNation1
08-15-2008, 02:37 PM
My advice to Lefty is to throw the ball a little harder! :D

steelblood
08-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Culpepper is a fool for not signing here. With this line, he would probably would have had a few starts this year (for a decent team). He is setting himself up for failure if he is waiting for someone to get injured and then hoping to rush in and learn the playbook in a week in order to start the next game.

I really would have preferred Culpepper. I think Leftwich is more accurate, but he is going to get killed here because of our poor pass protection coupled with his limited mobility and slow delivery.

frankthetank1
08-15-2008, 03:59 PM
Culpepper is a fool for not signing here. With this line, he would probably would have had a few starts this year (for a decent team). He is setting himself up for failure if he is waiting for someone to get injured and then hoping to rush in and learn the playbook in a week in order to start the next game.

I really would have preferred Culpepper. I think Leftwich is more accurate, but he is going to get killed here because of our poor pass protection coupled with his limited mobility and slow delivery.

i agree, besides what other options does culpepper have?