PDA

View Full Version : On the Sidelines with Jeremy Bloom Steelers.com will bring

fordfixer
08-13-2008, 11:50 PM
Steelers.com will bring you a regular feature throughout the season titled On the Sidelines where Teresa Varley will sit down with players and help you get to know them away from the game.

Wide receiver/kick returner Jeremy Bloom is a former United States Olympian who competed for the U.S. Ski Team in two Olympic Games, including Salt Lake City, Utah in 2002 and Turin, Italy in 2006. He also played college football at Colorado and is now working towards pursing his second dream of playing in the NFL.

Bloom grew up in a close family environment and recently launched a foundation named after his grandmother, the Donna Wheeler Foundation.

Bloom talks about that and other topics in this installment of On the Sidelines.

How old were you when you started in sports?
I was three. We grew up in Loveland, Colorado about three hours from a skiing area. My parents were big on having family time on the weekend. They enjoyed skiing. We went there every weekend and did it from a young age.

Was it something you enjoyed then?
I didnít like skiing at that age. I didnít take a huge interest in it. My mom was health food conscious and we didnít have a lot of candy bars and things like that in the house. My grandfather would bring a bunch of candy bars and throw them down the mountain and my brother and I would ski down and get them and that made it fun for me.

When did you start playing football?
I was a big Denver Broncos fan, I big John Elway fan. I was about that same age when my dad and I would throw the football around in the back yard every day. I always wanted to be in the National Football League one day.

As a former Olympian, are you watching the summer games?
The two sports I like the most are probably track and field and gymnastics. I will really watch when those are on. Itís fun to have the perspective and know what they are going through, whatís going on in there heads. When you walk in for the opening ceremonies it is a tremendous honor. It takes me back to my two experiences and how special they were. I look at it from a different perspective than most.

Can you talk about what the Opening Ceremonies were like when you took part?
Itís magical especially the first one in Salt Lake City because it was in our country, it was right after the September 11 attacks and our country was unified. The Olympics was very symbolic to unifying the whole world at that time. It was my first Olympics representing the United States. We were the last country to come in and they announced the United States of America and the whole place erupted. It was magical. I didnít feel like it was reality.

You launched your foundation this offseason, can you talk about why you named it after your grandmother?
She lived with us growing up. She was like a second mother to me. My grandparents have always been very special to me. Iíve always wanted to do something for senior citizens through a foundation. This off-season I was able to put the right pieces together for the foundation.

She is an inspiration to everyone she comes in contact with. She has such a positive outlook on life. She is 82 and lives in Keystone, Colorado, about 7,000 feet up in the mountains. And she goes to work every day. I donít know how she lives in that cold weather. Itís like 20 below when she gets up and drives to work in the morning. I couldnít do that. She is amazing. She is a greeter at the bank and volunteers.

What is the focus of the foundation?
We target low income seniors that have a wish, one thing in their life that they have always wanted to do that they have never been able to do and we try to make that wish come true. The goal is to help people and change their lives. Itís a Wish of a Lifetime we are trying to grant.

We want everyone that this inspires who has an important, mother, grandmother, father or grandfather and they want to honor them we encourage them to join us.

For more information visit http://www.donnawheelerfoundation.org/

BIG FAN
08-14-2008, 12:23 AM
WHEW!
A lot of print for a guy who will be cut.

Shawn
08-14-2008, 01:16 AM
I really don't believe I could care any less. :)

BIG FAN
08-14-2008, 01:20 AM

Ditto Doc.

fordfixer
08-14-2008, 01:36 AM

Ditto Doc.

Slow news night sorry! :D

BIG FAN
08-14-2008, 01:40 AM
Not a problem.
I'm sure there will much more to banter about after the Toronto exhibition.

fordfixer
08-14-2008, 01:44 AM
Not a problem.
I'm sure there will much more to banter about after the Toronto exhibition.
Lets hope so :tt1

BIG FAN
08-14-2008, 01:52 AM
Like everyone else, I'm psyched to see our new center acquisition Hartwig get to work with the first string, and been quietly pumped about Timmons, also if Fox can keep up the level of play he had against Philly. Only about twenty two morw hours till then, it could also very well be about the last realistic shot that Bloom has to show or do something.

Shawn
08-14-2008, 02:07 AM

Ditto Doc.

lol...nah that was more a comment about whoever wrote that article. Bloom? Seriously?

fordfixer
08-14-2008, 02:10 AM

Ditto Doc.

lol...nah that was more a comment about whoever wrote that article. Bloom? Seriously?

Good I was getting a complex :lol:

BIG FAN
08-14-2008, 02:12 AM
You or I have a better chance of making the squad Shawn. :lol:

Shawn
08-14-2008, 09:06 AM

You could be the officiai Steely McBeam "beam polisher". Now that would make a good read! :D

ikestops85
08-14-2008, 12:05 PM
A bit cynical today guys?? After all Bloom is a helluva good athlete whether he makes the team or not. I think he was ranked number 1 in the world for a period of time in freestyle skiing. I'd love to see him get some chances to return punts tonight just to see what he can do in a game. From all reports he is one of the quickest (not fastest) guys on the team with some good moves.

RuthlessBurgher
08-14-2008, 12:12 PM
A bit cynical today guys?? After all Bloom is a helluva good athlete whether he makes the team or not. I think he was ranked number 1 in the world for a period of time in freestyle skiing. I'd love to see him get some chances to return punts tonight just to see what he can do in a game. From all reports he is one of the quickest (not fastest) guys on the team with some good moves.

Moguls stay in one place as he is skiing down the hill. They are not running after him like the gunners on punt coverage trying to take his head off.

ikestops85
08-14-2008, 12:52 PM

Moguls stay in one place as he is skiing down the hill. They are not running after him like the gunners on punt coverage trying to take his head off.

True dat ... moguls do stay in one place. That's not necessarily a good thing. First of all they don't move when you hit them and you are forced to go through them. You can run away from people trying to take your head off and if you hit them they tend to move.

Hey, all I'm saying is the guy is a world class athlete who is doing something to help others and he should get some props for it ... not just a "who gives a damn".

BIG FAN
08-14-2008, 02:00 PM

You could be the officiai Steely McBeam "beam polisher". Now that would make a good read! :D

Not half as good as " Official Russell Jock Sniffer." :lol: