PDA

View Full Version : WTF? Steelers to sign both Leftwich & Culpepper

costanza2k1
08-09-2008, 09:20 PM
According to Profootballtalk.com, the Steelers will sign both Byron Leftwich and Daunte Culpepper.
The two will compete for the backup spot throughout the remainder of the preseason. Leftwich may be the better fit as a pure backup with concerns that Culpepper would have to swallow quite a bit of pride to carry a clipboard. Aug. 9 - 9:14 pm et
Source: ProFootballTalk.com

Shawn
08-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Very interesting.

Uncle Rico
08-09-2008, 09:35 PM
UCF isn't a MAC school so signing Culpepper would be quite the shocker.

NKySteeler
08-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Didn't expect this at all.... But it may not be a bad idea. We know Ben will get his usual limited action in pre-season, so why not find the best back-up possible? Especially since Batch is not going on IR, and Dixon probably to the practice squad (they won't keep 4 qbs)... I said somewhere else, but wouldn't it be expected that with rehab from a collarbone, Batch may not have alot of "zip" on his passes? I don't know, so that's why I'm asking... I would like to think that Ben will take 100% of the snaps, but it's a long season, and he may get a little dinged-up at some point, so why not have the best back-up possible?

Flasteel
08-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Didn't expect this at all.... But it may not be a bad idea. We know Ben will get his usual limited action in pre-season, so why not find the best back-up possible? Especially since Batch is not going on IR, and Dixon probably to the practice squad (they won't keep 4 qbs)... I said somewhere else, but wouldn't it be expected that with rehab from a collarbone, Batch may not have alot of "zip" on his passes? I don't know, so that's why I'm asking... I would like to think that Ben will take 100% of the snaps, but it's a long season, and he may get a little dinged-up at some point, so why not have the best back-up possible?

Agreed. Let the battle for number two begin and dump the loser before the regular season. If I felt comfortable with either one of them, I'd stick Batch on the PUP list and let him fully heal (that would be about 11 weeks from now...I think) to save a roster spot. I also agree about not keeping four QB's, but that means we expose Dixon to the rest of the league and may lose him.

Snatch98
08-09-2008, 09:51 PM
I like the signings for competition purposes. However I don't believe Dixon will be placed on the practice squad. He has far too much athletic ability to get bumped down. If he does he won't last long. I'd hate to see him put on the practice squad.

NKySteeler
08-09-2008, 10:03 PM
I like the signings for competition purposes. However I don't believe Dixon will be placed on the practice squad. He has far too much athletic ability to get bumped down. If he does he won't last long. I'd hate to see him put on the practice squad.

So keep 4 qbs on the active roster?... (Ben, Dixon, Batch, and whoever we finally keep)
...I would absolutely hate to put him on the practice roster as well, but I don't see keeping 4 qbs on the roster either.

...It would be different if he was getting some work in a "slash"-type role, but he's not...

AkronSteel
08-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Well at least this will breed competition! I am interested to see which one actually sticks around. My money is on Culpepper, I think the fact that he can at least move in the pocket somewhat (and I really mean somewhat) may be the difference here. Leftwich can't really move at all. Plus I liked what Culpepper looked like last year much more than Leftwich. Culpepper actually played well for a while last year in Oakland!

Shawn
08-09-2008, 10:11 PM

So keep 4 qbs on the active roster?... (Ben, Dixon, Batch, and whoever we finally keep)
...I would absolutely hate to put him on the practice roster as well, but I don't see keeping 4 qbs on the roster either.

...It would be different if he was getting some work in a "slash"-type role, but he's not...

The only way we keep Dixon off the PS is to dump Batch. Personally, what is the drop off from Batch to Culpepper? IMO...none...and Culpepper is younger. I say let Dixon, Culpepper and Leftwich battle it out. Keep one of the vets and Dixon on the active roster. Batch getting hurt might actually be a blessing for the Steelers.

NKySteeler
08-09-2008, 10:18 PM
The only way we keep Dixon off the PS is to dump Batch. Personally, what is the drop off from Batch to Culpepper? IMO...none...and Culpepper is younger. I say let Dixon, Culpepper and Leftwich battle it out. Keep one of the vets and Dixon on the active roster. Batch getting hurt might actually be a blessing for the Steelers.

Well, I really do like Batch as a backup, and he knows the offense, players, and tendencies...But his time will come to an end sooner than later due to age... I just really don't know how painful it would be to throw passes immediately after this rehab... In time, it would be fine, but that won't necessarily be available...

There was a good comment over on stanzas' other thread about cutting both just for week one so as not to be obligated to the years' salary... Maybe they're checking out both so as to have an option if one is picked up (if they were to go this route)...

...I said it after we drafted Dixon... Let him try a bit of a slash role... Or as Tomlin says, "position flexibility"... It could keep him on the roster and open up the possibilities for the back up qb....

DukieBoy
08-09-2008, 10:30 PM
Charlie Batch is a competent #2, whose contributions to team chemistry have been positive and important.

The record for either Leftwich or Culpeper as to contributing to team chemistry is not so positive, and it should be considered, IMO.

Snatch98
08-09-2008, 10:33 PM

I don't believe Culpepper is younger. I'm pretty sure he's 29 or 30 and Leftwich is 28.

EDIT: I do think Dixon will be used in a slash type role. I'll be shocked if he ends up on the practice squad.

NKySteeler
08-09-2008, 10:34 PM
Charlie Batch is a competent #2, whose contributions to team chemistry have been positive and important.

The record for either Leftwich or Culpeper as to contributing to team chemistry is not so positive, and it should be considered, IMO.

Agreed... Neither of those two seem to "fit in" to our team too well, IMO. ... But we really will only need one of them for a few weeks I hope.

LasVegasGuy
08-09-2008, 10:47 PM
What? They both suck.............. Let's hope we never have to use one of them. If so look for very, very, very bad things to happen.

Shawn
08-09-2008, 10:55 PM

I don't believe Culpepper is younger. I'm pretty sure he's 29 or 30 and Leftwich is 28.

EDIT: I do think Dixon will be used in a slash type role. I'll be shocked if he ends up on the practice squad.

I was talking about Batch...he will 34 in December.

steelblood
08-10-2008, 01:23 AM
Leftwich behind this offensive line? That is pure insanity. He won't last two preseason games.

I like Culpepper much better. With his size and athleticism, he can buy enough time to keep the team in a game.

I think they should IR batch to free up a roster spot. Dude is a china doll.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-10-2008, 01:29 AM
Leftwich behind this offensive line? That is pure insanity. He won't last two preseason games.

I like Culpepper much better. With his size and athleticism, he can buy enough time to keep the team in a game.

Gotta agree - until proven otherwise, with this OL we need a mobile QB if we want him to last more than a few quarters.

kennyes
08-10-2008, 04:27 AM
I'm kinda surprised they showed no interest in Holcomb for the temp relief...

stlrz d
08-10-2008, 08:57 AM

That we know of. ;)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-10-2008, 12:00 PM
I heard on the radio last night that Culpepper has refused the offer to come here and tryout. He would rather wait to see if a potential #1 spot opens up somewhere.

The tough part is that while we know the injury should require 4-6 weeks of healing, what will Batch be like when he returns? Will he lose any strength off of a 34 year old arm that is not a cannon to begin with? Will he take time to transition back considering he does not play much as it is?

While Batch was a very solid backup prior to this injury, the Batch who returns in 6 weeks may be far from that. While a guy like Holcomb might be okay for clipboard carrying purposes until week 3 of the RS, we may need a little more from whoever we bring in.

anothersteelerfan
08-10-2008, 12:09 PM
I read Leftwich said his agent wanted him to sign a contract before working out. That would be very risky for the team, so hopefully Leftwich is just a dummy and didn't understand his agent.

But I see no way Dixon would make it to the practice squad, I would think the best thing going into the season would be either to put Batch on IR or on the PUP list although I've read he can't be put on the PUP list now.

It sucks Batch was hurt but I don't think I've ever seen such wringing of hands by some fans and media over a backup QB.

frankthetank1
08-10-2008, 12:16 PM

leftwich has no mobility, but this is dante culpepper now not 8 years ago. he isnt half as athletic or mobile as he use to be

birtikidis
08-10-2008, 12:28 PM
I would like to see them sign leftwich, i think he would be a good #2. I haven't been as impressed by batch as some others have been. Leftwich isn't mobile, but he is tough. He can take some hits if he needs to.

frankthetank1
08-10-2008, 12:58 PM
why would culpepper think he is still worthy of a starting role on ANY nfl team? he is pretty washed up and even though there are a lot of bad starting qb's in the nfl right now i would still think most teams would rather have a young qb with potential or a lesser washed up qb.

AngryAsian
08-10-2008, 02:59 PM
I know he's raw.... but I really liked what I saw in Dixon. He has great mobility which can only help with our line play. As for Leftwich, I hate his wind up, his release is so slow.

AkronSteel
08-10-2008, 03:36 PM
I know he's raw.... but I really liked what I saw in Dixon. He has great mobility which can only help with our line play. As for Leftwich, I hate his wind up, his release is so slow.

:Agree

The release is the biggest problem for Leftwich, even more than the mobility!

I like what I saw from Dixon too, but I sure don't wanna see him playing in the regular season. If we see that then the Steelers are in for a long year!