PDA

View Full Version : Byron Leftwich working out for Steelers today

costanza2k1
08-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Per Rotoworld from the Gazette:

Byron Leftwich - QB Aug. 9 - 8:47 am et

Byron Leftwich will work out for the Steelers Saturday.
Leftwich would be a great fit as Charlie Batch's replacement; it's crazy he doesn't have a job right now. The Titans were impressed with his workout a couple of weeks ago, but decided to keep him on their "ready" list.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-09-2008, 02:01 PM
I like his heart (cue film of his being carried in pain downfield by his O-line to finish a game-winning drive), but wasn't his knee or ankle pretty much trashed?

How about Vinny?

P.S. Are we really giving up on Batch? Or just getting a warm body for a few month or so until he can play again? Is there an official prognosis?

fordfixer
08-09-2008, 02:05 PM
Why doesn't he have a job already

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Sh*t, he just got signed on Wednesday!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3056695

Maybe Jeff George is waiting for a call ...

stlrz d
08-09-2008, 02:10 PM
Just a body until Batch comes back.

I called for Pennington...same school at least! :D

costanza2k1
08-09-2008, 02:10 PM
I like his heart (cue film of his being carried in pain downfield by his O-line to finish a game-winning drive), but wasn't his knee or ankle pretty much trashed?

How about Vinny?

P.S. Are we really giving up on Batch? Or just getting a warm body for a few month or so until he can play again? Is there an official prognosis?

Tomlin said they won't put Batch on IR, he will keep him around until he's healed.

Les 74
08-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Oh great!!!!!Everyone knows that MAC qb's suck. :P

Flasteel
08-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Once he signs and is on the roster for week one, his salary would be guaranteed. Since we're not sticking Batch on IR and it would make little sense to pay a guy his full year salary for a couple of games, I would imagine this means Potts is cut and Dixon goes to the practice squad when Charlie returns. I can't see us keeping four active quarterbacks, but if the team really likes Dixon then we risk losing him.

Under that scenario we would have three MAC QB's on our roster. :shock:

NKySteeler
08-09-2008, 03:01 PM
I know they're saying 4-6 weeks, which would put it shortly after the season starts... But with a broken collarbone, I would think that it may be difficult for him to have a lot of "zip" on his passes, even after a short rehab... If Leftwich looks good in the workout, why not sign him and put Batch on IR?

costanza2k1
08-09-2008, 03:12 PM
I would keep all three, if something happens to Ben and Leftwich comes in then we should put Batch on IR and elevate someone from the Practice Squad....otherwise having 3 vets on 1 team would be sweet.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-09-2008, 06:59 PM
I think Leftwich would be a good pickup if we knew we had an O-line that could protect him. Last I saw/heard, he was about as immobile as Drew Bledsoe, he would need LOTS of protection.

Of course Charlie Batch isn't Mr. Mobile either, but as long as we're looking, we may as well at least think of someone with a bit of mobility.

My :2c

RuthlessBurgher
08-09-2008, 07:59 PM
I think Leftwich would be a good pickup if we knew we had an O-line that could protect him. Last I saw/heard, he was about as immobile as Drew Bledsoe, he would need LOTS of protection.

Of course Charlie Batch isn't Mr. Mobile either, but as long as we're looking, we may as well at least think of someone with a bit of mobility.

My :2c

In that case, let's see if Leavenworth will let a certain inmate out on work release!

(just kidding...don't shoot me!)

Shawn
08-09-2008, 08:12 PM
Once he signs and is on the roster for week one, his salary would be guaranteed. Since we're not sticking Batch on IR and it would make little sense to pay a guy his full year salary for a couple of games, I would imagine this means Potts is cut and Dixon goes to the practice squad when Charlie returns. I can't see us keeping four active quarterbacks, but if the team really likes Dixon then we risk losing him.

$$$

I this is the most likely scenerio. Two vet back ups are better than one.

stlrz d
08-09-2008, 09:32 PM

I heard Chris Landry on Fox Sports Radio today talking about this situation. He said sometimes teams will roll the dice and not have the guy on the roster in week one and then sign the guy after that so the salary isn't guaranteed.

Of course the risk is that someone else loses a player and gets your guy.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Hopefully it works out for us no matter how it goes down.

NKySteeler
08-09-2008, 09:45 PM
I heard Chris Landry on Fox Sports Radio today talking about this situation. He said sometimes teams will roll the dice and not have the guy on the roster in week one and then sign the guy after that so the salary isn't guaranteed.

This could be why they are looking at both Culpepper AND Leftwich (ref the other thread by stanza...).... If one gets signed by another team, they still have another option that has been viewed during camp...