PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Smith is a moron

Oviedo
08-07-2008, 08:49 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08220/902472-66.stm

Back to his old act of laying out his teammates. This time it was Hines. Laying out your franchises all time reception leader during practice. Someone needs to kick this guys a$$. I hope he never sees the field. He must have one functioning brain cell in this pin head.

frankthetank1
08-07-2008, 09:04 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08220/902472-66.stm

Back to his old act of laying out his teammates. This time it was Hines. Laying out your franchises all time reception leader during practice. Someone needs to kick this guys a$$. I hope he never sees the field. He must have one functioning brain cell in this pin head.

i agree they really need to sit smith down and stop this sh$$. i remember the incident last season as well. its great he loves to hit people but there is a time and place for every thing. imagine if hines was injured? smith has talent but he lacks brains.

VirgilBosett
08-07-2008, 09:06 AM
This kid is hard to stomach. He is climbing the list of my all time most hated Steelers.

Oviedo
08-07-2008, 09:19 AM
This kid is hard to stomach. He is climbing the list of my all time most hated Steelers.

I guess he feels he needs to hit his temmates in practice because as we saw last season he can't cover anyone in games and get close enough to hit the opponents. The guy is a punk.

frankthetank1
08-07-2008, 09:22 AM
he did lay out douchemanzadeh last season a couple of times, that was pretty sweet. he will be a good player once he matures and gets smarter

ghettoscott
08-07-2008, 09:23 AM
I like the kid, i dont agree with the hits on his teammates though. Any word from Tomlin on this?

RussBII
08-07-2008, 09:42 AM
I like the kid, i dont agree with the hits on his teammates though. Any word from Tomlin on this?

I WANT to like him. I'd love to have a head hunter in the secondary... but he's just not all that bright.

frankthetank1
08-07-2008, 09:49 AM

I WANT to like him. I'd love to have a head hunter in the secondary... but he's just not all that bright.

he is still pretty young though, he will learn im sure

Shawn
08-07-2008, 09:58 AM
AS...is one of those guys who will string us along for years....wanting him to "bloom" and mature. It won't happen. I would say his IQ is around 80...plus he has impulse control issues. He is a terrific athlete but without a constructive thought in his head.

RussBII
08-07-2008, 10:01 AM

AS...is one of those guys who will string us along for years....wanting him to "bloom" and mature. It won't happen. I would say his IQ is around 80...plus he has impulse control issues. He is a terrific athlete but without a constructive thought in his head.

That pretty much sums up the two schools of thought on this kid. I hope he learns and winds up being a stud for us, but I'm starting to think that might not happen.

I'm not even factoring in his "guarantee" from last year, just the hitting folks in camp...

ikestops85
08-07-2008, 10:07 AM

I'm with you ... I REALLY want to like him. I think he has the ability to be a game changer with his hits and athletic prowess. I didn't realize he has little to no common sense. One of the vets needs to take him aside and explain some things to him. Let him know he could be playing for the bengals. :wink:

emosteve
08-07-2008, 10:16 AM
Smith does have a ton of potential... Shame he did't lay that hit on Moss
http://media.canada.com/idl/cahr/20071210/192600-63765.jpg

frankthetank1
08-07-2008, 10:17 AM

That pretty much sums up the two schools of thought on this kid. I hope he learns and winds up being a stud for us, but I'm starting to think that might not happen.

I'm not even factoring in his "guarantee" from last year, just the hitting folks in camp...

that wasnt even a guarantee though. that was just a pi$$ poor journalist trying to bait a young and dumb player and it worked. i dont blame smith all that much for that. people forget the week after that game he made an int and brought it back to the jax 5 which led to a comeback, that fell short of course. but still if he had not made that play it wouldnt of even been close. his bad plays definetly over shadow his good ones. kind of like when nate drops a pass its a lot more noticeable than when any other wr drops a pass

RussBII
08-07-2008, 10:20 AM

that wasnt even a guarantee though. that was just a pi$$ poor journalist trying to bait a young and dumb player and it worked. i dont blame smith all that much for that. people forget the week after that game he made an int and brought it back to the jax 5 which led to a comeback, that fell short of course. but still if he had not made that play it wouldnt of even been close. his bad plays definetly over shadow his good ones. kind of like when nate drops a pass its a lot more noticeable than when any other wr drops a pass

I agree, I didn't mean for it sound like I was just ignoring that, and it was a huuuuge deal. I don't think the "guarantee" was really his doing. He was just being confident, which is good. If you look at the quote, the fact that it was taken as a guarantee was laughable. Now, he did get beat like a drum in that game... He has had his moments in other games (the decleating of Houshmangina comes to mind).

However, when he makes a big play, I'm almost worried that he won't finish the play because he's so excited to start his celebration. Combine that with his seeming inability to learn, and it's troublesome.

Oviedo
08-07-2008, 10:25 AM

I'm with you ... I REALLY want to like him. I think he has the ability to be a game changer with his hits and athletic prowess. I didn't realize he has little to no common sense. One of the vets needs to take him aside and explain some things to him. Let him know he could be playing for the bengals. :wink:

Several of the vets need to take him aside and pound him into a bloody pulp.

proudpittsburgher
08-07-2008, 10:29 AM

:Agree It was pizzpoor judgement on the local journalists who led him into that lin of question, and really poor judgement on the national media for playing it as much as they did. It made that loss that much more hard to stomach.

frankthetank1
08-07-2008, 10:41 AM

:Agree It was pizzpoor judgement on the local journalists who led him into that lin of question, and really poor judgement on the national media for playing it as much as they did. It made that loss that much more hard to stomach.

that was by far the worst steeler game ive ever been too. it was great seeing james harrison get in brady's face. man he was so shook :lol:

Shawn
08-07-2008, 11:10 AM

http://espn.starwave.com/i/nfl/profiles/players/65x90/7832.jpg

I mean.....seriously.

frankthetank1
08-07-2008, 11:36 AM

I mean.....seriously.

what? that doesnt look like a harvard scholar to you? :lol:

Shawn
08-07-2008, 12:32 PM

I mean.....seriously.

What it looks like is... his mother banged an alien.

SteelerOfDeVille
08-07-2008, 12:41 PM
WRs are sissies. There's hitting going on all over the place. If you don't want to be hit, get off the FOOTBALL field.

Why are we excited to hear that Woodley is unblockable - doesn't that mean he's basically blasting people, etc.

Buh-Bye
08-07-2008, 12:42 PM
WRs are sissies. There's hitting going on all over the place. If you don't want to be hit, get off the FOOTBALL field.

Why are we excited to hear that Woodley is unblockable - doesn't that mean he's basically blasting people, etc.

I am not that excited. Woodley is hitting people too hard. Not fair to the rest of the guys.

DukieBoy
08-07-2008, 12:45 PM

I mean.....seriously.

Can we leave "appearance" out of this?

Seems like a "character" issue to me judging from the behavior pattern, probably an enduring trait, If so, the behavior may be difficult to change without strong and consistent external controls. I think he'll be a coach's management challenge as long as he plays. Good luck, Tomlin and staff.

That said, I hope he surprises us and learns what needs to be learned. I like having the threat of his hitting out there for us.

As for his play last year, he is not suited to free safety but played out of position by team necessity. His strengths are suited to strong safety. I am glad to see Ryan Mundy drafted as I think he'll stick, back up Clark for a few years and learn from him, and be an asset in both short-term and long-term at FS and STs.

SteelerOfDeVille
08-07-2008, 12:52 PM
Unlike most of you, I actually think it's funny.

Hines jumps his schitt for blasting Reid and he says, fine, I'll blast you, too.

At the time, some people criticized him for doing it to Reid, as if he was picking on the little guy.

Sorta reminds me of the Michael Jordan story where he dunked on a little guy (Mark Price, maybe) and the fans said "pick on pomeone your own size" and he later dunked on a 7-footer...

Les 74
08-07-2008, 12:55 PM

I mean.....seriously.

What it looks like is... his mother banged an alien.

I'll have you know that my mother banged an alien once and I turned out just fine. :lol:

steelernation77
08-07-2008, 01:02 PM

Hines jumps his schitt for blasting Reid and he says, fine, I'll blast you, too.

It was a no-contact drill. Hines was not prepared for being smacked. Smashing a receiver on your team (not to mention one of the team's best players) over the middle in a no contact drill is stupid, not funny. Hines could've very easily been injured. I'm sure the coaching staff didn't find it easy.

SteelerOfDeVille
08-07-2008, 01:10 PM

It was a no-contact drill. Hines was not prepared for being smacked. Smashing a receiver on your team (not to mention one of the team's best players) over the middle in a no contact drill is stupid, not funny. Hines could've very easily been injured. I'm sure the coaching staff didn't find it easy.
Sounds like he's reacting and playing...
Spending time THINKING got him toasted last year.

I'm still having a hard time with why y'all are getting your panties in a bunch.

steelernation77
08-07-2008, 01:14 PM

It was a no contact drill. He hit one of our best players who was defenseless over the middle and not expecting a hit. He could've been injured. Would you think it was funny if Hines got a concussion?

Jigawatts
08-07-2008, 01:20 PM

It was a no contact drill. He hit one of our best players who was defenseless over the middle and not expecting a hit. He could've been injured. Would you think it was funny if Hines got a concussion?

Reacting got him toasted last year. How many times did he come up for run support
on a play action and get burnt deep?

I think I've mentioned this before on the other board, but my brother-in-law graduated
high school with him, and before A. Smith every played a down in the NFL, my bro said
the exact same things that most of us are saying now. "He's cocky, dumb as a rock,
has no common sense, and is pretty much an a-hole."

Still, I'd like to see Smith mature into his potential and bring some quiet swagger.

Shawn
08-07-2008, 01:23 PM

I mean.....seriously.

Seems like a "character" issue to me judging from the behavior pattern, probably an enduring trait, If so, the behavior may be difficult to change without strong and consistent external controls. I think he'll be a coach's management challenge as long as he plays. Good luck, Tomlin and staff.

That said, I hope he surprises us and learns what needs to be learned. I like having the threat of his hitting out there for us.

As for his play last year, he is not suited to free safety but played out of position by team necessity. His strengths are suited to strong safety. I am glad to see Ryan Mundy drafted as I think he'll stick, back up Clark for a few years and learn from him, and be an asset in both short-term and long-term at FS and STs.

Are you ugly or sumthin'?

Sorry didn't mean to offend.

:lol:

RuthlessBurgher
08-07-2008, 01:24 PM

I'm going to tell AsianSteel that you think he is one of those guys who will string us along for years....wanting him to "bloom" and mature....and that you think his IQ is about 80, with impulse control issues. Wait...you were talking about Anthony Smith? :lol:

Shawn
08-07-2008, 01:27 PM

I'm going to tell AsianSteel that you think he is one of those guys who will string us along for years....wanting him to "bloom" and mature....and that you think his IQ is about 80, with impulse control issues. Wait...you were talking about Anthony Smith? :lol:

No...I was talking about Asian Steel.

:mrgreen:

Jigawatts
08-07-2008, 01:28 PM

No...I was talking about Asian Steel.

:mrgreen:

I kind of feel bad for AsianSteel now. I thought we were talking about Anthony Smith.

Should we send AS an eggroll gift basket to mend fences???

RuthlessBurgher
08-07-2008, 01:32 PM

I mean.....seriously.

Message board protocol states that you are only allowed to compare Sam Cassell and Chris Henry to alien life forms.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z319/MadisonMax/cassell2.jpg http://whodatdish.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/chris-henry.jpg

SteelerOfDeVille
08-07-2008, 01:50 PM

The outcome is irrelevant... when a fat girl falls in the lunchroom because she sat on a chair and broke it, is it less funny if she skins her knee?

frankthetank1
08-07-2008, 01:51 PM

i was just kidding. i could care less about what a.smith looks like or if he is a smart person. him being a smart football player is all i care about

frankthetank1
08-07-2008, 01:57 PM

The outcome is irrelevant... when a fat girl falls in the lunchroom because she sat on a chair and broke it, is it less funny if she skins her knee?

i hear ya, i dont like the idea of smith blasting hines before the season even starts and given his age and injuries the last few years, but i like that a.smith loves to hit people. if he learns to play with control watch out. it was really stupid though

Buh-Bye
08-07-2008, 02:08 PM
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z319/MadisonMax/cassell2.jpg

The guy behind Sam seems to be enjoying his job a little too much. Is that AsianQueerBait?

ghettoscott
08-07-2008, 02:22 PM
Sorta reminds me of the Michael Jordan story where he dunked on a little guy (Mark Price, maybe) and the fans said "pick on pomeone your own size" and he later dunked on a 7-footer...

MJ yammed it on Johnny Stockton then after the fan started
yappin he came down and yammed it on Mel Turpin. MJ was the
effin' man.

Jigawatts
08-07-2008, 02:32 PM

The guy behind Sam seems to be enjoying his job a little too much. Is that AsianQueerBait?

Is the asian guy holding Cassels foot or his own? :shock: Asian freak. :lol:

Buh-Bye
08-07-2008, 02:36 PM

If he was holding his own that would be impressive. Is that a reach around?

Jigawatts
08-07-2008, 02:42 PM

Yes, I believe that's what they call it.

Les 74
08-07-2008, 02:59 PM

Yes, I believe that's what they call it.

I hear in San Francisco they call it a "Jig-around."

Jigawatts
08-07-2008, 03:14 PM

Wow, I've never even been to San Francisco. It's a small world after all.

Buh-Bye
08-07-2008, 03:14 PM

:lol: :lol:

DukieBoy
08-07-2008, 03:15 PM

I mean.....seriously.

Yeah, I took a few pucks in the face, but my wife likes how I look so its all good.
No offense taken.
I enjoy your posts SMG as you add alot positive to the board, just wanted to influence the thread's focus a bit.

AngryAsian
08-07-2008, 03:43 PM
I have no issue with intensity on defense. Hell, I remember some articles on Jack Lambert's "intensity" at practice. But Jack was a respected leader on a team filled with notable legends. He not talked the talked but he walked it as well. All this kid has done is jaw some guarantee that his play could not support... which inevitably made his team look dumb. He needs to focus that intensity in the game with some spectacular defensive plays, hard-hitting enough that offenses will no game-plan anything near him. That's the kind of intensity worth noting. Until then, he's just some punk who likes to play bull-dozer at inopportuned momemts.

SteelerOfDeVille
08-07-2008, 04:18 PM
I have no issue with intensity on defense. Hell, I remember some articles on Jack Lambert's "intensity" at practice. But Jack was a respected leader on a team filled with notable legends. He not talked the talked but he walked it as well. All this kid has done is jaw some guarantee that his play could not support... which inevitably made his team look dumb. He needs to focus that intensity in the game with some spectacular defensive plays, hard-hitting enough that offenses will no game-plan anything near him. That's the kind of intensity worth noting. Until then, he's just some punk who likes to play bull-dozer at inopportuned momemts.
AS, I feel for him and the "guarantee" label that he's been given. That interview was total b.s. I only fault him for being inexperienced and not realizing that he was being set up.

It wasn't much different that this.
"Do you think you can beat the Pats?"
"Sure"
"Is that a guarantee?"
"Well, if we bring our A game, we can beat them"
"So, that IS a guarantee?"
"Uh... sure"

DukieBoy
08-07-2008, 04:45 PM
AS, I feel for him and the "guarantee" label that he's been given. That interview was total b.s. I only fault him for being inexperienced and not realizing that he was being set up.

"Sure"
"Is that a guarantee?"
"Uh... sure"

Yeah, it's an example of the press trying to make sensational attention-getting news for themselves rather than reporting the facts.

It's the way of the world today, and players have to be savvy to it so they don't get gothcha'ed by the media, which I agree is what happened to AS.

I would like to see AS get a chance to take Moss apart going over the middle is Moss has the cahones to go there.

SteelTorch
08-07-2008, 06:53 PM
I think Smith still makes the team. For the record, I like Smith as a safety. He never was all that bad last season. Had it not been for the bad Pats game, he would not be getting the negative attention he gets now.

But this was very irresponsible. Does he honestly think this will help him make the team? He needs to grow up, calm down, and get his head in the game. Cheap shots will not help his case.

AngryAsian
08-08-2008, 07:57 AM

"Sure"
"Is that a guarantee?"
"Uh... sure"

Yeah, it's an example of the press trying to make sensational attention-getting news for themselves rather than reporting the facts.

It's the way of the world today, and players have to be savvy to it so they don't get gothcha'ed by the media, which I agree is what happened to AS.

I would like to see AS get a chance to take Moss apart going over the middle is Moss has the cahones to go there.

I would love nothing better than to get on that field and light up Moss... er.... Oh! I guess you meant Anthony Smith.... sorry.... continue. :wft

ghettoscott
08-08-2008, 08:25 AM

"Sure"
"Is that a guarantee?"
"Uh... sure"

moneymoneymoneymoney.....moooooney

DukieBoy
08-08-2008, 09:30 AM

"Sure"
"Is that a guarantee?"
"Uh... sure"

I would love nothing better than to get on that field and light up Moss... er.... Oh! I guess you meant Anthony Smith.... sorry.... continue. :wft

AS ~ Yes, you !!! Go for it.
Hey, at the least, you could graphic it up for us all on the board. You snuffing Moss and then lighting it up with a celebration would be a double-Yoi.

Oviedo
08-08-2008, 09:35 AM
The only reason I don't advocate cutting Smith is because in all likelihood Cleveland or Cincinnatti would pick him up in a heartbeat since their secondaries are so bad.

He isn't without potential, but as my boss says "his brain is stuck on stupid."