PDA

View Full Version : FF Help

Shawn
08-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Since several of us are total newbs to FF...I was thinking we could have a question and answer post. I personally have a few question...ie...how do you rank players? Must we be at the live draft? Come draft day where do we meet to draft etc. I have no idea how to do this.

RuthlessBurgher
08-05-2008, 02:02 PM
I've been in fantasy leagues several times, but it was always with local friends and co-workers, and we would just go over to someone's house and have a live draft over some pizza and wings. We've used Yahoo or Foxsports to keep score for us in those leagues, but I've never done one with CBS Sportsline, so the setup is all new to me too. This will be my first time doing it entirely computerized with folks all over the country as well, so everything is different. I just went over to http://www.sportsline.com/fantasy and signed in, then started looking around. They have the players already ranked (on draft day, the computer will just take the next person off their list for you if you do nothing), but you can go in and alter those rankings to your own personal preferences. I've messed around with the QB rankings and RB rankings so far. Those personal rankings should come in handy on draft day, and it is a good backup in case I'm not able to get my pick in within the 90 second window per pick when we are drafting. Go over there and play around a bit.

stlrz d
08-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Take the scoring system into consideration when you rank your players.

That's all the help you'll get from me, n00b. :evil:

MeetJoeGreene
08-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Draft kickers in the first round -- they tend to go high.

Shawn
08-05-2008, 04:16 PM

Good advice...I was looking at drafting a punter in the first...my secret newb strategerie.

RuthlessBurgher
08-05-2008, 04:28 PM

Good advice...I was looking at drafting a punter in the first...my secret newb strategerie.

I hear that Sepulveda guy should have a really good second season. Draft him. :wink:

NKySteeler
08-05-2008, 06:46 PM
I personally have a few question...ie...how do you rank players? Must we be at the live draft? Come draft day where do we meet to draft etc. I have no idea how to do this.

Just draft all Steelers......

Bwahahahaha........ :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
(that used to KILL me years ago....)

...Seriously though, stanz addressed some of the "ranking" questions in the original league thread for me, because I'll be out of town and will not be present for the draft... It will come down to (for the rankings, if you want to change them) whether you think you're smarter than the so-called "experts"... Which in all likelyhood, is probably the case...

Djfan
08-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Burger King's are the best!

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn63/hughpam/Burger_King_Whopper_Combo.jpg

Mick'sTeam
08-05-2008, 10:59 PM
SMG,

As someone previously stated, you need to take the scoring system for your league into consideration when drafting your players. Some will have all TD's worth 6 points regardless of player position whereas others vary based on position. The traditional thinking is that you should draft RB in the first two rounds. I personally think that philosophy is out dated. With all the multiple RB systems being run, it is hard to know who will put up the big numbers (once you get past guys like LT, Westbrook, AP, Addai, Jackson).

I think you should also consider how many teams are in your league. Knowing how long you will have to wait between picks should effect your strategy, and maybe halp you plan who may or may not be available when you pick. Don't draft a Kicker until the very last round, the difference between the kickers will most likely not be relevant.

This of course is only my opinion, and someone else may totally disagree with me, but I have had some success in fantasy leagues over the last few years. Last year I won $600 in one league and $150 in another. Good luck in your draft!

RuthlessBurgher
08-05-2008, 11:09 PM
SMG,

As someone previously stated, you need to take the scoring system for your league into consideration when drafting your players. Some will have all TD's worth 6 points regardless of player position whereas others vary based on position. The traditional thinking is that you should draft RB in the first two rounds. I personally think that philosophy is out dated. With all the multiple RB systems being run, it is hard to know who will put up the big numbers (once you get past guys like LT, Westbrook, AP, Addai, Jackson).

I think you should also consider how many teams are in your league. Knowing how long you will have to wait between picks should effect your strategy, and maybe halp you plan who may or may not be available when you pick. Don't draft a Kicker until the very last round, the difference between the kickers will most likely not be relevant.

This of course is only my opinion, and someone else may totally disagree with me, but I have had some success in fantasy leagues over the last few years. Last year I won $600 in one league and $150 in another. Good luck in your draft!

I was going to say, "Good to see ya, Mick!" but then I noticed you were giving fantasy advice to SMG. :nono I've gotta beat this guy...it is best to keep him in the dark when it comes to these matters. Actually, wait a minute...Shawn, don't listen to Mick. He doesn't know what he is talking about at all. Listen to the previous advice about the early round kickers. Adam Vinatieri is kicking indoors now with the high powered Colts offense giving him plenty of scoring opportunities. You should probably grab him in the first (or second round at the very latest!). :lol:

Mick'sTeam
08-05-2008, 11:45 PM
SMG,

I was going to say, "Good to see ya, Mick!" but then I noticed you were giving fantasy advice to SMG. :nono I've gotta beat this guy...it is best to keep him in the dark when it comes to these matters. Actually, wait a minute...Shawn, don't listen to Mick. He doesn't know what he is talking about at all. Listen to the previous advice about the early round kickers. Adam Vinatieri is kicking indoors now with the high powered Colts offense giving him plenty of scoring opportunities. You should probably grab him in the first (or second round at the very latest!). :lol:

Apparently my post was anything but clear. I guess I took some things for granted that I assumed were obvious even to FF newbs.

SMG, I thought it went without saying that if Vinatieri is still on the board when you pick, you've got to take him. He's considered a steal even if you grab him with the first overall pick. Don't pass on Vinatieri!

Mo_Steel
08-06-2008, 12:45 AM
If you are near a college town, or place with trendy little hangouts with Wi-Fi like a coffee shop then these are a nice choice. Many of the large franchises like Buffalo Wild Wings and Hooters are offering free wings and other amenities if you hold your draft in their joint the last couple of years; don't recommend heavy drinking during draft though, might end up with a team full of Bungles or worse yet, Brownies. Generally we use a Churchill's or local coffee house who has nice comfortable furniture so we can lounge, have a good time, internet connectivity, and will tolerate us one or two days annually.

Choose a reliable service, nothing worse than getting to the draft and having issues with various owners. Makes for a very long season. We use My Fantasy League, but CBS, Yahoo, and ESPN all have quality services for most. Used EA Sports one year when it first came out, had a lot of cutting edge tools which was neat then, but being new the draft went pretty bad for a couple. I am sure its better now and usually you get a free subscription with Madden each year, at least the last couple of seasons there has been a coupon for League service.

NorCal-Steeler
08-06-2008, 11:26 AM
I find the pre rankings pretty acurate, where a team is made is through the waiver wire. If you're lucky enough to find a gem like like GB's rb grant before they bust out your ahead of the game.
And the best position players dont usaly put up the most points, like a wide receiver from a loseing team see's alot more balls than a receiver who's team is up by 14 and running out the clock.
Whoever suggested Viniteri in my opinion is wrong unless you want single points for PAT , colts score TD's. You want the Titans or Ravens kickers because when they cant score td's in red zone your getting 3's instead of 1 pointers.( i know the drafting a kicker was joke but im refering to kicker selection)

Shawn
08-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Good advice guys...thx!

RuthlessBurgher
08-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Good advice guys...thx!

I think the advice about the Burger King FF is about the only thing you can use here. :lol:

NKySteeler
08-06-2008, 04:59 PM
"There's nothing going on here" ... "We're not the ones you're looking for" ... "Move along" ... "Draft all Steelers".....

http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/8646/250pxobiwanheadshotxk2.jpg

Shawn
08-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Ohhh I soooo have my RB sleeper...whooo hoooo!

RuthlessBurgher
08-07-2008, 01:33 PM

Justin Vincent?

Billy Latsko?

Shawn
08-07-2008, 03:04 PM

Justin Vincent?

Billy Latsko?

Gary Russell!!!!

Whooooo Hooooooooooo!

:lol:

Iron Shiek
08-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Don't get too hung up on deep sleepers, because chances are there are going to be waaaay better players available still and you will not want to pass up a sure guy for some question mark. Plus normal sleepers are usually sleepers that everyone else has on their lists as well. Towards the end of the draft it usually goes BPA for the most part.

NKySteeler
08-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Don't get too hung up on deep sleepers, because chances are there are going to be waaaay better players available still and you will not want to pass up a sure guy for some question mark. Plus normal sleepers are usually sleepers that everyone else has on their lists as well. Towards the end of the draft it usually goes BPA for the most part.

Hush, damn it!!!!!......................... :twisted: :lol:

costanza2k1
08-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Tips and tricks won't help any of you, this league is mine.

BigLebowski
08-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Even though I can't make the draft, one word of advice---BE AT THE LIVE DRAFT! That is the only info you are going to get from me. You are already a leg up, newby or not.

... You need to build a team with depth. Injuries occur. You want to be the owner who picks up the sleeper WR in week one because you want to, not cause you need to. These sleepers can carry your team, there is always 1 or 2 every year. There will be a WR that goes undrafted but catches 4 balls for a 100 yards and a TD in the early weeks. Every member clammers to get guy early in the season. It is much nicer fighting for your 4th and potential starter, than to fight for you number 2 due to injury.

...Unless you really want to spend an earlier pick on a kicker or defense, wait till the end to draft them. They are a dime a dozen point wise and teams always surprise. It is conceivable with enough talent at the skill positions, you could play the matches ups week to week and pick up free agents at K and Def and still make it to the playoffs and beyond.

... Last piece of advice, draft with your head and not with your heart. You might want a steeler or former buckeye on your squad but need a back up at another position, choose wisely and not on potential till the later rounds.

SteelerOfDeVille
08-12-2008, 06:08 PM
Funny... once upon a time, i almost retired from Fantasy football and started to write a Fantasy Football advice web page. I had gotten on a roll. I was in a league that I had a 3-peat... The year of the 3rd win, I also won big money in 2 other leagues (won in 3 out of 4 that year). So, my ideas were proven.

The ideas were not from the perspective of "player rankings", but, more from the perspective of "useful philosophies within fantasy football". But, when it got down to it, I didn't win because I knew players the best - I knew them pretty well, but, that wasn't the key.

Unfortunately, I didn't retire... and you can't have my advice. :loser

:P

Shawn
08-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Funny... once upon a time, i almost retired from Fantasy football and started to write a Fantasy Football advice web page. I had gotten on a roll. I was in a league that I had a 3-peat... The year of the 3rd win, I also won big money in 2 other leagues (won in 3 out of 4 that year). So, my ideas were proven.

The ideas were not from the perspective of "player rankings", but, more from the perspective of "useful philosophies within fantasy football". But, when it got down to it, I didn't win because I knew players the best - I knew them pretty well, but, that wasn't the key.

Unfortunately, I didn't retire... and you can't have my advice. :loser

:P

You are certainly a legend!

In your own mind.

:P :lol: