PDA

View Full Version : Steelers dismiss talk that Browns should win AFC North

Ozey74
08-02-2008, 06:09 PM
LATROBE, Pa. — Troy Polamalu still isn't practising because of a sore hamstring, Daniel Sepulveda is all but certain to miss the season with a knee injury and Casey Hampton's weight training isn't nearly over.

Not much of a first week of training camp for the Pittsburgh Steelers, was it?

Then comes this: The Steelers have averaged more than 10 wins per season since Heinz Field opened in 2001, yet they keep hearing how the Cleveland Browns - who have beaten them only twice since the 1990s - are ready to overtake them in the AFC North.

The Browns missed the playoffs last season despite owning the same record (10-6) as the Steelers, mostly because two of those six Cleveland defeats were to Pittsburgh. The Steelers won the season opener 34-7 in Cleveland and the rematch in Pittsburgh 31-28.

No matter, the Browns are the chic pick in the division, now that they finally seem to have found a quarterback they can win with in Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn looks ready to take over if anything happens to Anderson.

Even if recent history doesn't support that conjecture, given how the Steelers haven't lost to Cleveland in nearly five years. Only three Steelers players - Hines Ward, Deshea Townsend and Aaron Smith - were around when they lost to Cleveland in 1999 and 2000.

No doubt the Steelers need a whole lot of convincing before they're ready to concede the Browns should win the AFC North, considering Cleveland hasn't won a division championship since 1989, when former Steelers coach Chuck Noll still was two years away from retirement.

"Any team can look good on paper. You can't really worry about that," said Hampton, who remained on the sidelines Saturday because of weight problems that have sidelined him since camp began last Sunday.

The Steelers never have much trouble getting motivated to play the Browns, despite their recent domination of them, and several players said all this Browns-are-the favourites talk adds incentive that's really not needed.

"We like being the underdog. When you're the underdog, you've got something to prove," defensive end Brett Keisel said. "We're happy where we're at; we're happy with our team."

Pittsburgh goes into the season after being one-and-done during its fifth playoff appearance in seven seasons, losing to Jacksonville not only in its final regular-season home game but also in a wild-card playoff matchup. The Steelers had never lost twice at home to a team in a single season, and they appear to be deriving more incentive from that than they are from the speculation Cleveland is better than they are.

"For me, I don't want anything less than a Super Bowl," wide receiver Hines Ward said of all the who's-better chatter. "Anything less than a Super Bowl is a bad year."

Defensive end Aaron Smith laughed at the suggestion the Browns' ascension coincides with a decline in the Steelers, an aging team on defence.

"Predictions don't mean anything, until you line them up," he said.

fordfixer
08-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Its all just talk untill the browns show the can beat the Steelers. Untill then say what they want :tt1

Ozey74
08-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Its all just talk untill the browns show the can beat the Steelers. Untill them say what they want :tt1

Yes!! Now that they are expect to be the man, can they beat the man??? I have my doubts.

MeetJoeGreene
08-02-2008, 08:38 PM
:brownssuck

THE BROWNS SUCK!!!!

proudpittsburgher
08-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Why is it the Steelers are never the chik pick? :wft For the last few years, even the year after the Steelers won the super bowl, it's been Ravens, Bengals, Browns. The Ravens defense can carry them to a division title, The Bengals offense is second only to indy, Now, it's the browns offense, but none of them have a complete team. And that's the reason they can't win the division, let alone the super bowl. For as good as the Bengals and Browns offense is, both of their defensive units blow chunks, and pretty much visa versa for the Ratturds. Year in and year out, some talking head is telling us why a team other than the Steelers is going to win the division, and year in and year out, well, you know what happens. :tt1

Chavezz
08-02-2008, 08:49 PM
I've said it since the offseason began. The Browns offense, especially Derek Anderson is going to take a big step back this year. DA was a unknown commodity so D coordinators really didn't know how to defend him. Not there is a year of tape on the guy and I don't see DA being able to take his game to the next level.

He had a (and I can't remember his stats off the top of my head) but he had a high number of ints and a low completion percent. He had a great WR and a good receiving TE that bailed him out on a lot of long completions down field.

Not to mention the great line in front of him. Don't forget the pressure of having a 1st rd pick sitting behind him.

Takes a BIG step back.

Ozey74
08-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Did you know that the AFC North is the home to the top 2 passers in Pac 10 history? Carson Palmer w/USC & DA w/Oregon St.

Neither of those schmucks are the best QB in their own division.

I would rather have the Steelers be the underdog. They play much better that way!!!

buckeyehoppy
08-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Why is it the Steelers are never the chic pick? :wft

It's never so chic as when you win the division. The hype always goes with the underdogs. Then, when the under is separated from the dogs, it's the teams like the Steelers that are always on top when all is said and done.

Always remember, and this is absolutely true because of the way the mentality is here in Cleveland, that the Clowns and their fans hope to win...the Steelers and their fans expect to win...big difference between the two! :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

Shawn
08-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Welp...it's a good thing games are not played on paper.

buckeyehoppy
08-02-2008, 10:39 PM
I'm going to have to switch the quotes on the sig line before the start of the season. But, I will give the Planet Steeler Galaxy a sneak preview of what might be there:

The Clowns...Lords of the Off-Season!

There are two teams in the NFL...The Pittsburgh Steelers...and everyone else!

The Pittsburgh Steelers Universe...we expect to win!

The Pittsburgh Steelers...adding two "l's" to C_eve_and every year since 1969!

RuthlessBurgher
08-03-2008, 01:19 PM
You know that the Browns have sucked out loud for a long time, but these two facts from the article just cement the amount of time it has been since they were even a reasonably adequate NFL team. :brownssuck

Only three Steelers players - Hines Ward, Deshea Townsend and Aaron Smith - were around when they lost to Cleveland in 1999 and 2000.

Cleveland hasn't won a division championship since 1989, when former Steelers coach Chuck Noll still was two years away from retirement.

Shawn
08-03-2008, 02:08 PM
The Browns will have to earn their respect. They will have to take their respect. And the Steelers are not about to just lie down and give it to them. The fact is...they still don't match up well against the Steelers. I think the Steelers will take both games once again and the Browns will hit a wall mid-season and blow up.

AkronSteel
08-03-2008, 04:39 PM
The Browns will have to earn their respect. They will have to take their respect. And the Steelers are not about to just lie down and give it to them. The fact is...they still don't match up well against the Steelers. I think the Steelers will take both games once again and the Browns will hit a wall mid-season and blow up.

I don't think that the Browns last until mid-season! I can see this team starting out 1-3 and things crumbling fast. That city is so geeked up for this season that things could turn ugly fast if it doesn't go as expected. Cleveland Fans around here are actually talking about going to the Super Bowl, and how they are the best team not only in the division but in the conference. What a joke? Who exactly did they beat last year that was an impressive win? What happens to the Browns when they are spread out? Who on that team is going to cover Ward, Holmes, Washington, Sweed, & Miller, let alone stop the run? Yeah they probably improved on the D Line, but sacrificed the secondary to do so, and their LB's are still marginal at best! Jamal is paid now so I fully expect to see him revert back to his old I don't want to get hit self. I guess we will see, but I just don't see anything better than 7-9 for the Stains this year!

:2c

BIG FAN
08-05-2008, 05:59 AM
Let's look at it fairly.
I think it's fair to say that like I've heard from the most obvious philosophers around, people who have common sense. (Not the pretzel logic out of the bars of the denizens of Berea.) That indeed, the stains will suffer miserably at the hands of Cryboys, then we beat thier asz at home again. You know the first time we beat them last year they got rid of the QB! (Bet Sea. loves us!)
T his year we pound some nails into them AS ALWAYS. I think after being embarrassed by the cryboys, we actually hurt them like they did to the bungles last year. :brownssuck :brownssuck :brownssuck :brownssuck :brownssuck

Oviedo
08-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Same old media hype garbage. Find a team that slings the ball all over the place and the media falls in love with them and overlooks all their shortcomings. It is simple--those teams make it easy to find highlights for the 10 second "Sports McNuggets" segments on ESPN and the NFL Network.

The Browns this season will be just like the Saints of 2007 and the Bungals of 2007. Lots of hype about their high powered offenses only to fall into the same old level of mediocrity that they truly deserve.

The Browns have probably one of the worst secondaries in the NFL. They play many of the same NFC East and AFC South opponents we do. Theyare going to get lit up like a Christmas tree this year. Same for the Bungals. The only way to be successful against the common NFC East and AFC South opponents we face is a strong defense. The Browns and Bungals barely have mediocre NFL defenses.