PDA

View Full Version : Drummond maybe coming to Steelers

Oviedo
07-31-2008, 01:17 PM
They aren't hesitating looking at all options for the return game and improving Special Teams. I would hope they get a greater sense of urgency finding a punter versus who they got.

Steelers work out return man

New Steelers return man?
By Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.com
Posted Jul 31, 2008

The Steelers worked out a return man Thursday morning in anticipating of placing punter Dan Sepulveda on injured reserve.

The Steelers this morning worked out wide receiver Eddie Drummond, whose main job with the club would be as a return man.
Drummond, 28, was born in Pittsburgh and played collegiately at Penn State. He was drafted in 2002 by the Detroit Lions and spent five seasons with the team. Last year, Drummond played for the Kansas City Chiefs and averaged 21.2 yards per kickoff return and 6.9 yards per punt return.

For his career, Drummond has returned 250 kickoffs for a 23.2 average and two touchdowns, and 140 punts for a 9.1 average and four touchdowns. He's caught four career passes for seven yards.

SteelerOfDeVille
07-31-2008, 01:38 PM
Bloom would be cut on the same day....

it would also mean 6 WRs kept, IMO.

Oviedo
07-31-2008, 01:40 PM
I'm not really supportive of someone who does nothing other than return kicks. Too much like Rossum last year.

RuthlessBurgher
07-31-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm not really supportive of someone who does nothing other than return kicks UNLESS HIS NAME IS HESTER. Too much like Rossum last year.

Fixed that for you. :P

SteelerOfDeVille
07-31-2008, 01:59 PM
I was actually pleased with Rossum... most of the other guys get back there and I thought, "OMG, will he muff it?" or "will he fumble it?"

Never had that worry with Rossum. He was sure handed and made the right decision nearly all the time. If you're unsure about whether to field a punt.... DON'T.

Even his play on the goal line that had many dumbfounded, I thought was BRILLIANT, both at the time (because unlike many, I knew the rule) and even in hindsight.

Oviedo
07-31-2008, 01:59 PM
I'm not really supportive of someone who does nothing other than return kicks UNLESS HIS NAME IS HESTER OR CRIBBS. Too much like Rossum last year.

Fixed that for you. :P

Fixed it for you too :wink:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
07-31-2008, 04:36 PM
Drummond signed...

SteelerOfDeVille
07-31-2008, 04:39 PM
Drummond signed...
Bloom released in... 3...2...

MeetJoeGreene
07-31-2008, 05:24 PM
Drummond signed...

This is good news from a strategic perspective.

The STeelers have never won a Super Bowl without a Penn Stater on their roster.

So .. either Drummond or Paxson has to make the roster for us to win it all this year.

Plain and simple.

SteelerNation1
07-31-2008, 05:27 PM
I don't think they'll release Bloom because Sep going on IR opens up a roster spot. They released Marion prior to putting Sep on IR

BURGH86STEEL
07-31-2008, 05:39 PM
May the best man win the job for return man. I wonder if they can bring some competition in for the punter's job? I am not so sure about the guy they brought in.

frankthetank1
07-31-2008, 05:44 PM
whats wrong with moore returning kicks and punts? i think he is a pretty good return man

JAR
07-31-2008, 06:30 PM
Drummond signed, Capizzi cut because he re-injured his foot.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 80436.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_580436.html)

ikestops85
08-01-2008, 08:38 AM
I don't see the point in this. It's not like Drummond is a return man extraordinaire. Are the other guys we have in camp really that bad? Like Frank said I thought that was one of the primary reasons we brought in Moore.

Hardliner
08-01-2008, 09:50 AM
Good luck with Drummond. He was terrible for the Chiefs in 2007, just flat horrid. However, that may have something to do with the lack of special teams blocking and such but the guy didn't seem to have the heart or desire to make it happen.

Rather, on many occasions, he was eyeing a comfortable place to fall after the initial hit. I could be mistaken but I don't recall him being used as a WR in 2007, or, if he was, there were no catches under his name. Primarily, he got the return job because, at one time, he was LJ's room mate at Penn State.

It's no secret of the Chiefs continuing to pamper LJ to keep him out of his myriad pouting sessions when things aren't going his way. (I don't agree with that method but it is what it is).
Strange reason but it's the only one that made sense as the season wore on and Drummond became more and more of a headache and poor performer. FYI