Torn ACL.

Crap.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08211/900321-66.stm

calmkiller
07-29-2008, 05:18 PM
Damn it. That sux

MeetJoeGreene
07-29-2008, 05:21 PM
How does a punter do this? During practice? We talkin practice??

Hey.. isn't there a punter available that has never had a punt blocked.

I think his name rhymes with Barlocki.

NKySteeler
07-29-2008, 05:22 PM
Man, that hurts.... They said Rauch was handling the punting duties today? Anyone know how good he is or who may be available to pick up?

Jigawatts
07-29-2008, 05:28 PM
Just saw it on KDKA. This is terrible news.

frankthetank1
07-29-2008, 05:31 PM
this is great news, its going to be tough for a punter to come back from an injury like that

steelernation77
07-29-2008, 05:35 PM
These guys are available:
Danny Baugher (DEN), Mitch Berger (ARI), Jeremy Kapinos (NYJ), Glenn Pakulak (CHI), Scott Player (NE), Chad Stanley (IND)

Ozey74
07-29-2008, 06:25 PM
I was hoping this thread was a joke. Damn!

costanza2k1
07-29-2008, 06:28 PM
Well Mother F'r that sucks.

stlrz d
07-29-2008, 08:45 PM
this is great news, its going to be tough for a punter to come back from an injury like that

Great news? :?:

phillyesq
07-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Isn't Mike Barr, the many times training camp pro-bowler, still available. I think that the cards cut him last year, IIRC.

:stirpot

NKySteeler
07-29-2008, 09:10 PM
Isn't Mike Barr, the many times training camp pro-bowler, still available.

..... :HeadBanger ....... :lol:

Les 74
07-29-2008, 09:25 PM
The season is officially over!!!!

Thought I'd get a jump on the gloom and doomer's. :P

NKySteeler
07-29-2008, 09:30 PM
Thought I'd get a jump on the gloom and doomer's. :P

Ha!.... I got you beat!.... I've already strung the noose over the banister in the foyer!... :lol:

LasVegasGuy
07-29-2008, 09:42 PM

I guess you aren't a fan of 30 yard punts in playoff games?

Les 74
07-29-2008, 09:45 PM

I guess you aren't a fan of 30 yard punts in playoff games?

Wait.......what????Chris Gardocki wasn't on the roster last season. :lol:

RussBII
07-29-2008, 09:57 PM
I guess there is only one thing to do then...

Score on every friggin drive!

NKySteeler
07-29-2008, 10:02 PM
I guess there is only one thing to do then...

Score on every friggin drive!

...Yup.... If we don't have to punt, it doesn't matter!....... :Beer

Jom112
07-30-2008, 12:31 AM
Sucks to hear Sepulveda got hurt. He produced very well after you guys moved up to draft him last season.

As much as we enjoyed messing with you guys moving up in the draft to get a punter, Sepulveda was worth it. Sucks to hear he'll be out the whole season...

rpmpit
07-30-2008, 06:53 AM

Mularkey??? I think he played tight end?? :lol:

But in all seriousness, this sux for Dan. I'm not a doctor, but I roleplay one on occasion when Mrs. Armpit wants to be the naughty nurse 8) , but considering his history, this sounds like it could be career threatening. Hopefully I'm wrong.

frankthetank1
07-30-2008, 07:21 AM

But in all seriousness, this sux for Dan. I'm not a doctor, but I roleplay one on occasion when Mrs. Armpit wants to be the naughty nurse 8) , but considering his history, this sounds like it could be career threatening. Hopefully I'm wrong.

i agree its probably the worst injury a punter or kicker could have. i think he is done for good. i am kind of a pesimistic person so hopefully im wrong. that sucks for dan, he had a very good rookie year and this happens to him.

frankthetank1
07-30-2008, 07:22 AM

sorry i was being sarcastic, i forget sometimes how difficult it is to pick up sarcasim on the computer, my bad

stlrz d
07-30-2008, 07:31 AM

sorry i was being sarcastic, i forget sometimes how difficult it is to pick up sarcasim on the computer, my bad

Gotcha...I was stumped.

Sometimes people will do this: This is great news. and then little brains like me don't get confused. :lol:

rpmpit
07-30-2008, 07:40 AM
[quote=frankthetank1]this is great news, its going to be tough for a punter to come back from an injury like that

Gotcha...I was stumped.

Sometimes people will do this: This is great news. and then little brains like me don't get confused. :lol:[/quote:30rnthl0]

I sometimes add (note sarcasm) just in case.

frankthetank1
07-30-2008, 07:53 AM
[quote=frankthetank1]this is great news, its going to be tough for a punter to come back from an injury like that

Gotcha...I was stumped.

Sometimes people will do this: This is great news. and then little brains like me don't get confused. :lol:[/quote:39rnp66t]

that makes sense, i will definetly do that in the future. sometimes i forget how a person might take something i type

Oviedo
07-30-2008, 08:08 AM

i agree its probably the worst injury a punter or kicker could have. i think he is done for good. i am kind of a pesimistic person so hopefully im wrong. that sucks for dan, he had a very good rookie year and this happens to him.

It is his non-kicking right leg. He kicks with his left foot. He will be fine after he gets it fixed and rehab. The challenge is finding an adquete replacement for this season.

frankthetank1
07-30-2008, 08:12 AM

It is his non-kicking right leg. He kicks with his left foot. He will be fine after he gets it fixed and rehab. The challenge is finding an adquete replacement for this season.

thats a great point i never took that into consideration. that makes a big difference then if its his non kicking foot

rpmpit
07-30-2008, 08:28 AM

thats a great point i never took that into consideration. that makes a big difference then if its his non kicking foot

Does it?? Seems like the non-kicking leg is also pretty important for planting and then landing on after the punt is away.

Steely76
07-30-2008, 09:17 AM
For those of you concerned Mike Prisuta of the Trib was on WDVE this morning, he's on every day, and according to what he's discerned from talking to team physicians and Sepulveda, since it's the plant leg it should be no problem after surgery and rehabbing it. He should be fine. Of course Prisuta was also the guy that published a story that Russ Grimm was about to be named the next head coach.

RuthlessBurgher
07-30-2008, 09:42 AM

He's torn the same ACL before in college, and came back to the point that he won the Ray Guy award for the nation's best punter that same year. He'll be back next year. No worries. Maybe they won't put him on the "hands" team to recover onside kicks again, though.

frankthetank1
07-30-2008, 09:46 AM

He's torn the same ACL before in college, and came back to the point that he won the Ray Guy award for the nation's best punter that same year. He'll be back next year. No worries. Maybe they won't put him on the "hands" team to recover onside kicks again, though.

thats a good point, but it kinda worries me since its a reacurring injury ya know. i mean how many acl tears can any person take? people forget that he use to be a lb so its not like all the guy has ever done is punt

Oviedo
07-30-2008, 09:58 AM

thats a good point, but it kinda worries me since its a reacurring injury ya know. i mean how many acl tears can any person take? people forget that he use to be a lb so its not like all the guy has ever done is punt

He is a kicker not a running back so it should not be an issue. They will just either sew it back together or do a reconstruction based using a piece of his hamstring or a cadaver ligament. I actually tore my ACL in 1980 while doing Army training. Never had it fixed until 1999 and it never prevented my from doing some pretty demanding Army stuff (including Army Ranger training) although by 1999 the ACL was essentailly completely gone and I needed a reconstruction. If we get 19 years out of Sepulveda I'll be happy :D

RuthlessBurgher
07-30-2008, 10:09 AM
Remember, also, that we drafted Hines Ward in the 3rd round knowing full well that he had no ACL in his left knee since he was a child. He's done okay for himself with that.

ikestops85
07-30-2008, 12:27 PM
I don't think it will be a problem for him to come back since it was his non-kicking leg. Many athletes return from this type of injury. This is just my opinion and while I am no doctor ... I did spend last night in a Holiday Inn Express. :)

AngryAsian
07-30-2008, 12:35 PM
This should make the ant-Sepulveda contingent very happy. I hope he shakes this off, but I guess all his weight training hasn't helped his recurring injury. If he had a break-out rookie season, I'd be more upset, but his numbers were mediocre and we should be able to find someone who'll fill the role adequately. The main word being "should."

RuthlessBurgher
07-30-2008, 01:43 PM
One of the other fallouts of the Sepulveda injury is that Jeff Reed loses the holder from his near perfect season last year. The only misses he had last year were a 65 yard attempt right before halftime in Denver (if he made it, it would have broken the NFL record longest kick by 2 yards) and a 44 yarder in game in which the Dolphins brought the Everglades with them from Florida (of course, he later made up for the miss with the 24 yard game winner as time expired). Perhaps Ernster or Charlie Batch will be able to hold adequately for Reed.

Also, I saw that it was noted that in order to fit Ernster onto the roster, they had to cut Kevin Marion. Why didn't they just put Sepulveda on IR, freeing up a roster spot?

Les 74
07-30-2008, 05:22 PM
Also, I saw that it was noted that in order to fit Ernster onto the roster, they had to cut Kevin Marion. Why didn't they just put Sepulveda on IR, freeing up a roster spot?

Maybe they think that he'll be back for the end of the season/playoffs???

Ozey74
07-30-2008, 07:54 PM
One of the other fallouts of the Sepulveda injury is that Jeff Reed loses the holder from his near perfect season last year.

Fantastic point!!! I would hate for this to cost us a game or two. Everyone here knows that wins will be at a premium this year.

NKySteeler
07-30-2008, 08:06 PM
One of the other fallouts of the Sepulveda injury is that Jeff Reed loses the holder from his near perfect season last year.

Fantastic point!!! I would hate for this to cost us a game or two. Everyone here knows that wins will be at a premium this year.

If there's any "bright side" to this, it's the fact that it happened early in camp, and everyone will get plenty of practice... Including holding for Reed.

Chadman
07-30-2008, 09:16 PM

If there's any "bright side" to this, it's the fact that it happened early in camp, and everyone will get plenty of practice... Including holding for Reed.

Hooray! Chadman just knew there had to be something good to come out of this!! :Beer

NKySteeler
07-30-2008, 09:22 PM
Hooray! Chadman just knew there had to be something good to come out of this!! :Beer

.... You know what I mean.... It could have been the final practice before the season starts. At least this way they can work out some of the "bugs".... BTW, it was reported that Batch will be Reeds' holder this year...

Ozey74
07-30-2008, 09:51 PM

.... You know what I mean.... It could have been the final practice before the season starts. At least this way they can work out some of the "bugs".... BTW, it was reported that Batch will be Reeds' holder this year...

Good news. I trust that Batch will do all that he can to be the best holder he can be!!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
07-30-2008, 11:17 PM
Late to the dance, been off the forum a while ...

Dang. The guy was a beast, yeah last season season overall wasn't top notch, but it was his rookie season and I thought he showed promise of greatness over the long term.

Hope he comes back strong!

(BTW, can you hold kicks if your ACL is gone?).

SeaOracle
07-31-2008, 01:12 AM
This is what I hate about pre-season.

SO