PDA

View Full Version : Woodley a beast in drills

phillyesq
07-28-2008, 10:31 PM
I read on both Dale Lolley's blog the insider report that Woodley was an absolute beast in practice today, and that neither Starks nor Colon could block him. I'd love to see big things from Woodley this year, and that certainly sounds like a great start, but it's also a bit concerning that the RTs were struggling so much. I know, just the first day of camp, shouldn't get too excited about one, or too down about the other, but it's nice to finally have some football news again.

Links below.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com ... light.html (http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2008/07/afternoon-delight.html)

http://www.theinsideronpittsburghsports.com/

NKySteeler
07-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Football news about our team is always good, as you said... And it is somewhat disconcerting that the line couldn't contain him.... As you said, it could be good or bad.... I like the fact that he's getting pressure, but our O-line should be able to contain this.... Damn!, do you praise the D or criticize the O..... Personally, my concern has been our protection, so this does concern me a bit.... How do you "critique" this?

Chadman
07-28-2008, 11:38 PM
Well, Chadman did chat to LaMarr on facebook a couple of days ago. Chadman wished him luck & told him to 'rip it up' in Training Camp...looks like LaMarr listened.

In related news, Chadman will offer pearls of wisdom to anyone on the board for a nominal fee. If you require evidence of Chadman's success, please refer to one L. Woodley, c/o Pittsburgh Steelers.

Shawn
07-29-2008, 12:14 AM
LaMarr was basically unblockable in college. When he got PT in the pros he produced. There is no reason to believe he won't be a 12+ sack guy this season.

Chadman
07-29-2008, 12:16 AM
You could be right Shawn. Chadman remembers a few of us touting Woodley in the draft lead-up. Heck- Chadman had pegged him as a 1st round pick. So when he landed with the Steelers in the 2nd round- happy days!

NKySteeler
07-29-2008, 12:17 AM
LaMarr was basically unblockable in college. When he got PT in the pros he produced. There is no reason to believe he won't be a 12+ sack guy this season.

While I agree with your process SMG, I do think that the NFL will propose a more sturdy front than the Big-10 did. .... But I do hope for numbers like this......

BIG FAN
07-29-2008, 12:46 AM
I agree with NKy on this one. Truly a mixed bag of tricks, nothing but praise for the first day about Woodley, but the o-line does give concerns.

buckeyehoppy
07-29-2008, 01:41 AM
I think the revelation over Woodley isn't unexpected. I mean, the guy is good. Chances are, he may prove to be a much larger handful for opposing teams as he appears to be a handful for his own teammates on the OL.

The play of Max Sucks and Colon is a concern. I'd love Maxie Boy to prove me wrong. But, in order to do that, he needs to be stout against guys like Woodley. His biggest and most consistent challenges may well prove to be against his own teammates on the practice field.

The saying "you play like you practice" makes a lot of sense here. If that's the case, we may be seeing more of the same crap from Max Suckyboy and an All-Pro campaign from Woodley. However, I hope I am wrong on Maxie.

AngryAsian
07-29-2008, 09:11 AM

As discussed earlier in the off-season, SMG, you and I discussed the 12+ number and how plausible it is to attain. Woodley under limitied PT last year was able to be more of a disruption to opposing offenses than some of our starters. Inserted into the starting line-up, I will concur that his numbers can in the passrush categories can only exponentially climb.... and with this our total defensive ranking.

frankthetank1
07-29-2008, 09:12 AM

he was amazing in college and i dont fault colon or starks much. i doubt there will be a lot of tackles that will be able to contain him in the nfl

Oviedo
07-29-2008, 09:43 AM

SMG--I agree he has the ability to reach those type of number. However, the challenge will be when they start to flood his side with receivers and he has to drop back into coverage and then can't pin his ears back and go after the QB. I hope he has improved playing in space because last year he looked somewhat uncomfortable. Opposing coordinators are going to find ways to keep him back on his heels with screens to his side.

This is why I was really hoping we would go to a 4-3 defense. Get Woodley as a DE and let him pin his ears back and I think he is a perennial 12-13 sack player every year. His responsibilities with covering as a OLB will IMO detract from the sack totals he could possibly achieve.

Mr Smartmonies
07-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Woodley is a beast in drills

or

Starks and colon are terrible

glass half full or empty kind of thing. I think both are correct. This is a mismatch.
Woodley won't get tested until 1st week of season unless he takes turns over at Marvel's end. Hopefully he won't allow himself to get a false sense of security.

Shawn
07-29-2008, 01:33 PM
You could be right Shawn. Chadman remembers a few of us touting Woodley in the draft lead-up. Heck- Chadman had pegged him as a 1st round pick. So when he landed with the Steelers in the 2nd round- happy days!

Unfortunately, he was the only pick I got right last season. He is certainly first round talent that fell because he was a "tweener". That was very fortunate for us. :)

ikestops85
07-29-2008, 02:27 PM

SMG--I agree he has the ability to reach those type of number. However, the challenge will be when they start to flood his side with receivers and he has to drop back into coverage and then can't pin his ears back and go after the QB. I hope he has improved playing in space because last year he looked somewhat uncomfortable. Opposing coordinators are going to find ways to keep him back on his heels with screens to his side.

This is why I was really hoping we would go to a 4-3 defense. Get Woodley as a DE and let him pin his ears back and I think he is a perennial 12-13 sack player every year. His responsibilities with covering as a OLB will IMO detract from the sack totals he could possibly achieve.

I don't think playing in the 3-4 defense hurt Kevin Greene's sack total very much. I see Woodley as having the ability to put up numbers similar to Greene. I do not see him dropping off into coverage much. That would be a real waste.

Shawn
07-29-2008, 02:32 PM

I don't think playing in the 3-4 defense hurt Kevin Greene's sack total very much. I see Woodley as having the ability to put up numbers similar to Greene. I do not see him dropping off into coverage much. That would be a real waste.

Woodley is more athletic than Kevin Greene...and maybe just as nasty.

NKySteeler
07-29-2008, 02:35 PM

... But not as crazy... Man, there were times he'd get that look in his eyes that reminded me of that LB in the movie The Program...

fordfixer
07-29-2008, 02:48 PM

... But not as crazy... Man, there were times he'd get that look in his eyes that reminded me of that LB in the movie The Program...
:lol: :lol: :tt1

Shawn
07-29-2008, 03:01 PM

Greene wasn't right but Woodley does have a nasty streak.

NKySteeler
07-29-2008, 03:12 PM

I know, and I agree.... But it was a perfect opportunity for a shameless movie flashback... :wink:

RuthlessBurgher
07-29-2008, 03:27 PM

I think it is awesome that Kevin Greene is helping out in camp this year, so he can teach Wood all he knows about being a dominant strong side OLB in a LeBeau 3-4 defense. That, plus Harrison having the same type of intensity and intimidation that Lloyd once had, Timmons being the most athletic ILB we've had since Chad Brown in his prime, and Farrior playing the role of the steady vet like Kirkland, means that Blitzburgh could indeed be back, baby. :Steel

eniparadoxgma
07-29-2008, 09:15 PM
Timmons being the most athletic ILB we've had since Chad Brown in his prime

What? Are you crazy? Anyone that's anyone knows that Timmons is the biggest bust since Ryan Leaf. Sheesh. :nono

NKySteeler
07-29-2008, 09:18 PM
What? Are you crazy? Anyone that's anyone knows that Timmons is the biggest bust since Ryan Leaf. Sheesh. :nono

...Did someone mention Ryan Leaf???....

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/7610/understandhuhhunhjd2.jpg

Seriously though, I'm not sure I agree with the comparison to Chad Brown.... But I'd love to be proven wrong! ... :wink:

RuthlessBurgher
07-29-2008, 10:42 PM
Seriously though, I'm not sure I agree with the comparison to Chad Brown.... But I'd love to be proven wrong! ... :wink:

I'm not saying he's the best ILB since Chad Brown, just the most gifted athlete at ILB since Chad Brown. Obviously, Farrior has been the most talented overall ILB since those mid-90's Blitzburgh days, but even though James has been the best football player at that position, he is not the overall athletic specimen that our own Lawrence T is. Whether or not that pure athletic ability can translate to ultimate success on the gridiron has yet to be determined. I was just talking about raw God-given athleticism, that's all.

NKySteeler
07-29-2008, 11:02 PM
I'm not saying he's the best ILB since Chad Brown, just the most gifted athlete at ILB since Chad Brown. Obviously, Farrior has been the most talented overall ILB since those mid-90's Blitzburgh days, but even though James has been the best football player at that position, he is not the overall athletic specimen that our own Lawrence T is. Whether or not that pure athletic ability can translate to ultimate success on the gridiron has yet to be determined. I was just talking about raw God-given athleticism, that's all.

I can't argue that at all Ruthless... I just thought it was a bold statement comparing him to the "snake man"... Now, it may in fact be proven so. But until then, I'll withold my judgement... I don't like Fla St guys, but I do "warm" to them once they're Steelers... But they gotta produce... I think he will this season. :wink:

Mr Smartmonies
07-29-2008, 11:07 PM
Woodley is the next Lawrence taylor. I have to give Colbert credit for that pick.

NKySteeler
07-29-2008, 11:36 PM
...Timmons being the most athletic ILB we've had since Chad Brown in his prime...

Here's more to substantiate that claim..... :wink:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Timmons could click in new role
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The word from Mike Tomlin last week was that his pre-training camp depth chart was written in pencil.

As it turns out, the Steelers' coach doesn't have a depth chart -- at least not one that's been released for public consumption.

The 2008 media guide, for the first time in recent memory, contains no such ranking of would-be Steelers and would-be Steelers starters.

Despite the lack of printed confirmation, there apparently is a pecking order in place from which the Steelers are working at St. Vincent College.

Calls from assistant coaches rang out across campus during practice Monday morning for the first-team offense, the first-team "quarter defense" and the first-team punt team, and in each instance players dutifully responded by either entering or removing themselves from the action.

You gotta start somewhere.

Where the Steelers started revealed a glimpse as to where they might be headed.

Trai Essex, for example, started at left guard in place of Chris Kemoeatu, who, along with Troy Polamalu and Casey Hampton, is physically unable to perform.

Essex figured to be an odd-man out this summer, but perhaps not.

Sean Mahan, ineffective last season as the starting center, figured to fall into the interior guard-center swing-man role. But there was Mahan still starting at center yesterday morning, which was either a ceremonial acknowledgement of his incumbent status or a challenge to newcomer Justin Hartwig.

At linebacker, Larry Foote remained ahead of Lawrence Timmons in the base defense, but it was Timmons who lined up next to James Farrior in the five-defensive backs, two-linebackers "quarter" defense the Steelers would like to feature in obvious passing situations.

Much of the pre-training camp buzz had been generated by an anticipated showdown between Foote and Timmons for the starting inside linebacker's spot next to Farrior.

But it might be that the Steelers are preparing both to play -- Foote on running downs, and Timmons when the Steelers are expecting the pass but still don't want to leave themselves vulnerable against the run.

Timmons' potential in space makes him a perfect candidate to contribute in such situations.

The amount of playing time Timmons would get in the "quarter" would be more than enough to constitute an appropriate progression from rookie to second season for 2007's No. 1 pick.

Timmons was injured at the outset of last year and mostly either overwhelmed or uninvolved thereafter. The Steelers often experimented with where to play him, but he rarely contributed on anything but special teams.

That's changed in the early going at St. Vincent.

"They keyed him into his job," Farrior said. "He has one position. Once he gets that down and learns what the other guys are doing, he's really going to be on the road."

It's all still a work in pencil.

That doesn't mean the handwriting isn't already on the wall.

AngryAsian
07-30-2008, 12:42 PM
...Timmons being the most athletic ILB we've had since Chad Brown in his prime...

Here's more to substantiate that claim..... :wink:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Timmons could click in new role
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The word from Mike Tomlin last week was that his pre-training camp depth chart was written in pencil.

As it turns out, the Steelers' coach doesn't have a depth chart -- at least not one that's been released for public consumption.

The 2008 media guide, for the first time in recent memory, contains no such ranking of would-be Steelers and would-be Steelers starters.

Despite the lack of printed confirmation, there apparently is a pecking order in place from which the Steelers are working at St. Vincent College.

Calls from assistant coaches rang out across campus during practice Monday morning for the first-team offense, the first-team "quarter defense" and the first-team punt team, and in each instance players dutifully responded by either entering or removing themselves from the action.

You gotta start somewhere.

Where the Steelers started revealed a glimpse as to where they might be headed.

Trai Essex, for example, started at left guard in place of Chris Kemoeatu, who, along with Troy Polamalu and Casey Hampton, is physically unable to perform.

Essex figured to be an odd-man out this summer, but perhaps not.

Sean Mahan, ineffective last season as the starting center, figured to fall into the interior guard-center swing-man role. But there was Mahan still starting at center yesterday morning, which was either a ceremonial acknowledgement of his incumbent status or a challenge to newcomer Justin Hartwig.

At linebacker, Larry Foote remained ahead of Lawrence Timmons in the base defense, but it was Timmons who lined up next to James Farrior in the five-defensive backs, two-linebackers "quarter" defense the Steelers would like to feature in obvious passing situations.

Much of the pre-training camp buzz had been generated by an anticipated showdown between Foote and Timmons for the starting inside linebacker's spot next to Farrior.

But it might be that the Steelers are preparing both to play -- Foote on running downs, and Timmons when the Steelers are expecting the pass but still don't want to leave themselves vulnerable against the run.

Timmons' potential in space makes him a perfect candidate to contribute in such situations.

The amount of playing time Timmons would get in the "quarter" would be more than enough to constitute an appropriate progression from rookie to second season for 2007's No. 1 pick.

Timmons was injured at the outset of last year and mostly either overwhelmed or uninvolved thereafter. The Steelers often experimented with where to play him, but he rarely contributed on anything but special teams.

That's changed in the early going at St. Vincent.

"They keyed him into his job," Farrior said. "He has one position. Once he gets that down and learns what the other guys are doing, he's really going to be on the road."

It's all still a work in pencil.

That doesn't mean the handwriting isn't already on the wall.

Great read. Kinda makes a fan's mouth water at the defensive prospects this year. I think with all the TE heavies in our own division, Timmons will be an asset in coverage. The athleticism should match well with Heap and Winslow.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-31-2008, 10:01 AM

Agreed. I especially expect him to tear it up in the first half of the season. He begins his starting career by lining up opposite a pro bowl pass rusher, and beside our best lineman. I expect Harrison to receive more attention at first until Wood proves himself, and I expect Smith to help clear some space for him alowing him to produce.