PDA

View Full Version : Hampton to fat to run sprints...

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
07-27-2008, 06:25 PM
Looks like all he did in the offseason is eat! Today he was placed on the PUP list after failing to finish his sprints (did 5 of 8) Lets hope he gets in shape quickly--cause our D-Line is thin already!

Ozey74
07-27-2008, 06:30 PM
Dear Booger McFarlane,

How fast can you get to Latrobe?

Sincerely,

Ozey74

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
07-27-2008, 06:49 PM
Add Polamalu and Kemo to that list also...Probably nothing to worry about--What happened to Troys training though?

Shawn
07-27-2008, 07:47 PM
It might not be his weight. I know he is having some leg issues. If he goes down we are in deep doo.

Mr Smartmonies
07-27-2008, 07:50 PM
I took a lot of heat for this last year.

http://discuss.pittsburghlive.com/viewt ... highlight= (http://discuss.pittsburghlive.com/viewtopic.php?t=123471&start=60&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=)

JAR
07-27-2008, 08:01 PM
Hampton fails the run test every year, doesn't he?

Shawn
07-27-2008, 08:34 PM
I took a lot of heat for this last year.

http://discuss.pittsburghlive.com/viewt ... highlight= (http://discuss.pittsburghlive.com/viewtopic.php?t=123471&start=60&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=)

:roll:

SteelHoss
07-27-2008, 08:51 PM
I wonder how po'ed Tomlin is at Hampton? This is not a good beginning.

Ozey74
07-27-2008, 08:56 PM

Tomlin should be PO'd!!

RuthlessBurgher
07-27-2008, 09:56 PM
If you fail the run test and are not a good player, you get cut (i.e. Jamain Stephens).

If you fail the run test but are the keystone to our 3-4 defense, it is not a huge deal.

Iron Shiek
07-27-2008, 10:33 PM
If you fail the run test and are not a good player, you get cut (i.e. Jamain Stephens).

If you fail the run test but are the keystone to our 3-4 defense, you get put on the PUP list and it is not a huge deal.

I fixed that for you. And add to that, you get laughed at and threads are started like this one making fun of you!! :D :D

papillon
07-27-2008, 10:34 PM
Add Polamalu and Kemo to that list also...Probably nothing to worry about--What happened to Troys training though?

What exactly does being put on the PUP list mean? Are they injured? Are they out of shape? Can they play at all? Is this a veterean's way of getting out of training camp? Why is this nothing to be worried about?

Mike Tomlin should be pissed at these three guys in my opinion. They've had all off season to stay in shape and Troy even passed on training with the team to train on his own. Now they show up in Latrobe out of shape and unable to play football. I don't think so, Tomlin should make examples of them. This is BS in my opinion.

Pappy

LasVegasGuy
07-27-2008, 10:44 PM

Tomlin should be PO'd!!

I'm sure Tomlin will have something clever to say that really doesn't mean anything. Sort of like all his speeches last year. Probably will go something like this.

Tomlin - "Training camp is where we separate the men from the boys and the fat from the skinny. Hampton is aware of his weight."

Fan - "What the F is he talking about?"

RuthlessBurgher
07-27-2008, 11:23 PM

What exactly does being put on the PUP list mean? Are they injured? Are they out of shape? Can they play at all? Is this a veterean's way of getting out of training camp? Why is this nothing to be worried about?

Mike Tomlin should be pissed at these three guys in my opinion. They've had all off season to stay in shape and Troy even passed on training with the team to train on his own. Now they show up in Latrobe out of shape and unable to play football. I don't think so, Tomlin should make examples of them. This is BS in my opinion.

Pappy

From Wiki:

A rule in the National Football League which allows teams to designate players as "Physically Unable to Perform" or "PUP". Once they are designated as such, they are prohibited from practicing with the team. They can, however, rehabilitate and participate in team meetings. If a player begins training camp on the PUP list, they can be moved to the active roster at any time, even after one practice. A player is not allowed to be placed on the PUP list if they start training camp on the active roster.

A player who begins the season on the PUP list must sit out his team's first six games. After that point, the player is allowed to practice with the team through Week 10 of the NFL season, and can be activated any time within that window. If the player is not activated by Week 10, he must stop practicing and is unavailable to be moved to the active roster for the remainder of the season.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/images/admin/bs.jpg

http://media.scout.com/Media/NFL/166721_casey_hampton_tc.JPG

Anyway, we don't know for sure if Casey is on the PUP because of his weight or if it is because of the rumored leg problems that supposedly kept him out of some of the OTA's & minicamps.

According to Dale Lolley's blog, Troy and Kemo both were able to finish the run test, but the team may be cautious with them once the pads go on this week due to Polamalu's sore hamstrong and Kemoeatu's weakness in his triceps. I don't think it would be wise for Tomlin to "make an example" of these Samoan fellas. These things happen.

SeaOracle
07-28-2008, 12:44 AM
I remember a discussion last year about Hampton being slower and less effective than before - because in part his weight was getting to be a "bigger" problem. At 8 years in the league I wonder if he's really starting to slide. He should remain a great immovable guy but don't you want the NT to be able to move laterally now and then? I'd think that offenses might shift to more outside stuff knowing he's too slow. What do you guys think?

SO

BURGH86STEEL
07-28-2008, 06:41 AM
I remember a discussion last year about Hampton being slower and less effective than before - because in part his weight was getting to be a "bigger" problem. At 8 years in the league I wonder if he's really starting to slide. He should remain a great immovable guy but don't you want the NT to be able to move laterally now and then? I'd think that offenses might shift to more outside stuff knowing he's too slow. What do you guys think?

SO

Hampton is still an effective player that is aging. Steelers were still a pretty good run stoping team last season so I do not think he is sliding as much as some. He may be losing some quickness but he still holds the point of attack well. He still moves well from side to side. He stuggles with the run test every year. He is not going to run a 1/2 mile at any point during a game. The point of training camp is to get into football shape. I think people are making a big deal out of this for no reason.

Oviedo
07-28-2008, 08:02 AM
This is a big deal because these guys are professionals and should take getting in shape seriously. They play a physical game. Only one player could not do the conditioning drill--Casey Hampton. He has let his team mates down and should be embarassed.

I hope there is a silver lining to this and youg guys like Kyle Clement, Martavius Prince anf Jordan Reffett get more reps and possible show they are more than practice fodder.

SteelHoss
07-28-2008, 09:17 AM
This is a big deal because these guys are professionals and should take getting in shape seriously. They play a physical game. Only one player could not do the conditioning drill--Casey Hampton. He has let his team mates down and should be embarassed.

I hope there is a silver lining to this and youg guys like Kyle Clement, Martavius Prince anf Jordan Reffett get more reps and possible show they are more than practice fodder.

:Agree Apparently Casey has taken advantage of his status at past camps when it came to the run test. According to reports Cowher had given him passes and last year he did not have to run at all. Tomlin saw it differently this year. Good move! :Clap

ikestops85
07-28-2008, 09:35 AM
Sad news indeed. The Big Snack's play has been slipping over the past couple of years. He used to be the 'best' NT in the game. Now I believe his play has dropped to merely being good although some still give him accolades based on his reputation. I had hoped he would have re-dedicated himself to getting into better shape based on the sub-par performance of the D-line last year.

BIG FAN
07-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Disconcerting news to say the least.
Perhaps he needs to begin a new exercise regimen consisting of pushing his ample weight away from the dinner table. Guy comes to camp, and has to rehab to get into practice shape. Inexcusable.

SeaOracle
07-31-2008, 01:29 AM
Yeah, I really hate to see a great player do himself in like this. They get to a certain age and they can't just turn it on the first game. This could happen at any point around age 30. I remember what was so amazing about Jerry Rice was his conditioning. If Hamton had that kind of work ethic he could be truly great. I wanted Seattle to trade for him after the SB year (not that it would happen, but you want the best).

SO