PDA

View Full Version : What kind of team will this be on offense

Oviedo
07-21-2008, 10:30 AM
I think this year will be very interesting to see what kind of team we are. The league rules are clearly written to favor the passing game and scoring. I really never see us becoming pass happy (whatever that is), but consider the following:

1. We just signed a franchise QB for $102M. I don't think we did this for him to hand off the ball.
2. We have spent premium picks in the last two to three years for players who add to a pasing attack. Holmes and Sweed at WR, Miller and Spaeth at TE and Mendenhall at RB (who has shown in college he catch the ball).

The question before the group is how much do we pass and how much do we run? Outside the box, I really think that Ben would be the perfect QB to run a more west coast style offense focusing on short to intermediate range passes. He to me is very much a Brett Favre clone and clearly has the weapons now. Are we going in this direction this year? Would we take the AFC by surprise and would this jump us up to the top with the Patriots and Indy?

The thing I really like about this approach is that it gets the ball out of the QB's hands faster thereby taking the pressure off the OL to sustain blocks.

AngryAsian
07-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Great thoughts, O.

Balance and diversity in plays. These are the things that pop out in my mind. Its really not a question of how much we run or pass, but more rather when are we going to run or pass. For all the successes that Ben and the offense had last year, there were certain instances in certain games that just left me scratching my head and more often.... yelling at the HDTV. I understand that the slumping team performance of 2006 necessitated Arians dumbing down the playbook to help get Ben get back his comfortability in the pocket back. But IMO, this year we need to build on that foundation. We have such an arsenal of talent on offense and Arians needs to maximize the talent around Ben.

WestCoast? That would be awesome... but my confidence in our offensive coordinator is lacking and I don't think that this is even remotely possible. I think that with our personnel, we can execute whatever offensive we decide to run..... #23 against the pass? Air it out and give both Hines and Santonio a dozen catches a piece and 4-5 TDs for Ben..... Last in the league against the run? Let's go old school and ram it down their throats with a heaping dose of Willie and Mendy. I'd like to see such diversity and synergy with our offense that we'll have success from whatever the opposing defense will give us on that particular week.

The engine of this entire offense is most definitely Ben. But no matter if we have this awesome HEMI-type work horse engine.... Arians is the steering wheel, the question is.... will we be lead to the promise land or head on into a tree?

BIG FAN
07-21-2008, 11:06 AM
Well spoken AS, we do have enough weapons and talent as to be able to unleash a offensive multi-dimensional juggernaut. We should be able to light it up and play to weaknesses of all the defenses we play against. Good post.

Shawn
07-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Good thoughts O and AS. I have to agree more with what AS said. This O will be about diversity. I don't see us running a West Coast O. My hope is that our "genius" O coordinator realizes that he has the personel to break down the weaknesses of each teams D. If you are playing a soft run D...pound the ball a bit. In the AFC North...the DBs are not deep. In our division...we should run alot of 4-5 wide sets. It creates match up problems. Personally, in our division I would love to see more 4 wide Ace sets...with Mendenhall in the backfield. IMO, this creates the most amount of match up issues...it doesn't commit to the pass...they must respect the run. So do they put a nickle package on the field to stop the pass? Or do they run 4-3...3-4 and place LBs on WRs? Can they afford to blitz and leave Holmes workin a DB one on one?

The possibilities are endless and my hope is that we do everything well...and play to the Ds weakness.

SteelHoss
07-21-2008, 11:25 AM
Balance is Key to any championship offense. I believe Noll learned that after Franco and Rocky went down in the '76 playoff game with the Colts. Rock & Franco had over a thousand yards each that season. Rock & Franco's loss which preceded the AFC championship game with Oakland cost the Steelers another Super Bowl IMO. I'm sure I am one of many who say that, but the Steelers were more balanced in '77 and '78. Bradshaw beat both Dallas and the Rams thru the air. In fact, the Rams had pretty much shut down the running game. Swann left the game with an injury, but Stallworth came thru. We had the weapons! We had the balance too! :tt1 :tt1

SteelerSal1
07-21-2008, 11:44 AM
I feel that we will have the same style of "Ball Control" offense as we have loved with the great option of weapons if the opposing defense want's to crowd 8-9 in the box.
Ben was givin the green light to audible but learning a new offense(Ariens) made it hard enough to just run the play that was given to him, now with 1 season under his belt, Ben should feel more comfortable making the change at the line.IMO

Shawn
07-21-2008, 11:49 AM
I feel that we will have the same style of "Ball Control" offense as we have loved with the great option of weapons if the opposing defense want's to crowd 8-9 in the box.
Ben was givin the green light to audible but learning a new offense(Ariens) made it hard enough to just run the play that was given to him, now with 1 season under his belt, Ben should feel more comfortable making the change at the line.IMO

It would be a shame to see the Steelers run ball control. We have " go for the jugular" weapons. Not to mention our O line is not the best. In order to control the clock, you really need to be strong in the trenches. Ball control IMO...would be trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Run with what you got...and that is a superb selection of arial weapons.

Oviedo
07-21-2008, 12:37 PM

It would be a shame to see the Steelers run ball control. We have " go for the jugular" weapons. Not to mention our O line is not the best. In order to control the clock, you really need to be strong in the trenches. Ball control IMO...would be trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Run with what you got...and that is a superb selection of arial weapons.

:Agree
I want to destroy teams much like the Pats did. Particularly AFC North teams just to watch them and their fans cry :cry:

If we are going to beat the Pats, Jags, Indy and Dallas this season we will have to do it by scoring lots of points. We need to get ours running on hyper speed before we play those games. I think each of them have a weakness on defense dealing with that kind of offense. Let's go for it.

SteelHoss
07-21-2008, 01:02 PM

I want to destroy teams much like the Pats did. Particularly AFC North teams just to watch them and their fans cry :cry:

If we are going to beat the Pats, Jags, Indy and Dallas this season we will have to do it by scoring lots of points. We need to get ours running on hyper speed before we play those games. I think each of them have a weakness on defense dealing with that kind of offense. Let's go for it.

Yes sir! Take no prisoners!

papillon
07-21-2008, 01:14 PM
I think this year will be very interesting to see what kind of team we are. The league rules are clearly written to favor the passing game and scoring. I really never see us becoming pass happy (whatever that is), but consider the following:

1. We just signed a franchise QB for $102M. I don't think we did this for him to hand off the ball.

2. We have spent premium picks in the last two to three years for players who add to a pasing attack. Holmes and Sweed at WR, Miller and Spaeth at TE and Mendenhall at RB (who has shown in college he catch the ball).

The question before the group is how much do we pass and how much do we run? Outside the box, I really think that Ben would be the perfect QB to run a more west coast style offense focusing on short to intermediate range passes. He to me is very much a Brett Favre clone and clearly has the weapons now. Are we going in this direction this year? Would we take the AFC by surprise and would this jump us up to the top with the Patriots and Indy?

The thing I really like about this approach is that it gets the ball out of the QB's hands faster thereby taking the pressure off the OL to sustain blocks.

I also hope we didn't sign Ben to 102 million dollars to have him throw the football all over the field. I'm hoping they signed him to 102 million dollars, because, Ben will win a lot of football games, regardless, of how the job gets done.

Wins are what make me happy and if Ben wins games and only throws the ball 20 times a game that's still money well invested. I'd rather win in any fashion than show of our brand new shiny car just to show it off.

But, hey, that's me, a good investment is a good investment and winning games will be the ultimate test of the 102 million invested. I'd hate to be losing games and have Ben throwing for 5,000 yards (yippee, Ben is great, but, the Steelers suck...not for me).

Pappy

Oviedo
07-21-2008, 01:32 PM

I also hope we didn't sign Ben to 102 million dollars to have him throw the football all over the field. I'm hoping they signed him to 102 million dollars, because, Ben will win a lot of football games, regardless, of how the job gets done.

Wins are what make me happy and if Ben wins games and only throws the ball 20 times a game that's still money well invested. I'd rather win in any fashion than show of our brand new shiny car just to show it off.

But, hey, that's me, a good investment is a good investment and winning games will be the ultimate test of the 102 million invested. I'd hate to be losing games and have Ben throwing for 5,000 yards (yippee, Ben is great, but, the Steelers suck...not for me).

Pappy

Of course winning is the default assumption. All else is fluff. The point is it seems that based on our current composition the "old" way isn't the "best" way.

Shawn
07-21-2008, 01:45 PM

Pappy

Of course winning is the default assumption. All else is fluff. The point is it seems that based on our current composition the "old" way isn't the "best" way.

stlrz d
07-21-2008, 02:43 PM
They will continue to pass in order to set up the run.

SteelerSal1
07-21-2008, 02:50 PM
I'm all for destroying teams, but I would rather see them control the clock and make all of their drives count and leave the opposing teams offense off the field and our defense off of the field.
We all remember 2002 when we scored 30pts but our defense played 3 quarters of ball(exageration, but you get where I'm getting getting at).

Jigawatts
07-21-2008, 03:24 PM

I like that shiznit. :Beer

BURGH86STEEL
07-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Right now I think they should still rely a little more on the run. Especially with the addition of Mendenhall. It appears we have 2 possibly 3 backs that can do very well. The biggest area of strength in this team may be RB. My other point is it is probably easier for any Oline to run block as opposed to pass block. They should probably run a little more till they can get the Oline and pass protection to play a little better.

I think the bottom line is the offense should be able to do what ever is necessary to win a game. Run or pass, just win baby.

stlrz d
07-21-2008, 08:22 PM

I like that shiznit. :Beer

Dude! :P

papillon
07-21-2008, 11:28 PM

As of right now the old way has 5 Super Bowls and any other way has zero Super Bowls. Until, I see the Steelers handing the Lombardi Trophy to Druckenmiller :P by passing more than they run I'll take the old way.

Pappy

Steel Life
07-22-2008, 12:14 AM
I believe they will want to be balanced, but the sub-par line will keep the running game from being a consistent threat, thus putting the burden on Ben & the passing game. Surely there will be games which either - or both - Parker or Mendenhall are dominant, but like last year, it will be sporadic. Ben will be counted on to bail the team out with his passing & usual "sandlot" contribution.

But what I would like to see is Tomlin turn this team into a mind-numbing, soul-grinding running attack that rips the spirit from every team we face with Mendenhall being that once-in-a-generation back that everyone wants on their team. I would like to see a passing game that plays off of that running game without getting "cute" (you hear me Arians?!?) - especially in the "red-zone". I want to see Heath Miller even more involved in the game plan & Sweed to make everyone regret passing him up. I want to see a defense that is truly physically dominant, where offenses look silly even trying. I want to see Woodley & Silverback in opponent's backfields so much that Lawrence Taylor's name is invoked on a weekly basis. I want to see Troy be the All-Pro we know he can be & Ike Taylor to become elite. And last, but not least - I want the special teams to be special...or least better-than average...please.

And almost more than anything else besides winning the Super Bowl & for Ben to be the league MVP, I want to drub the Pat*s this year & I want Anthony Smith to be the hero. I want him to torment Brady so much that he sees Smith in his dreams from his hospital bed & Belichek has to praise him for his play.

Other than that, I don't expect much...but I'll predict 10-6 & an AFC North Championship.

AkronSteel
07-22-2008, 12:34 AM
I think that the offense will rely on Big Ben even more this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see a New England type offense with lots of three and four wide out sets. I think that the advantage that the team does have is that they will have the ability to run the ball when needed (that is why the two backs are so important). The team will be able to mix it up better with Mendy and Parker complimenting each other. It seemed at times last year that Parker just couldn't get in a groove b/c he is a one trick pony (a good one but....) I think Mendenhall will help this team re-establish what has made the Steelers so successful over the last 19 years and that is being able to grind it out in the 4th quarter.

My question regarding the offense is of course the O Line, I hope that we can see some better consistency this year from the group over all. I guess we will just have to wait and see. As much as AF did for this franchise his play has not been the same since '05, I remember a play last year in Denver where he looked so bad I was embarrased for him, and it seemed that alot of pressure came right over AF and Mahan all year. If it was my choice I would go like this:

LT: Marvel
LG: Colon
C: Hartwig
RG: Simmons
RT: Starks

I believe we need to find a way to put our best 5 on the field and this seems like the logical choice.

Mr Smartmonies
07-22-2008, 01:24 AM
Right now I think they should still rely a little more on the run. Especially with the addition of Mendenhall. It appears we have 2 possibly 3 backs that can do very well. The biggest area of strength in this team may be RB. My other point is it is probably easier for any Oline to run block as opposed to pass block. They should probably run a little more till they can get the Oline and pass protection to play a little better.

They had more rushing attempts on 1st and 2nd down then all but 1 team in the
league last year. And that isn't good enough for you? Just keep taking the Ball out of Ben's hands huh? You really don't get it Burghsteel. You just refuse to believe that we found the end zone last year because of the QB. We moved the ball becuase of the QB on third down. He's moving into the prime of his career and if you were the coach you would take the ball out of his hands even more. unreal. You just don't get it. You never will . Very sad. Live Long Ben basher. Live Long!

Mr Smartmonies
07-22-2008, 01:37 AM

As of right now the old way has 5 Super Bowls and any other way has zero Super Bowls. Until, I see the Steelers handing the Lombardi Trophy to Druckenmiller :P by passing more than they run I'll take the old way.

Pappy

you may want to revisit the 2005 Playoffs. Watch the first half of the Colts game and the first half of the Broncos game. Then take a look at the box scores and view what the Steelers averaged per carry. Then re examine your postion.

By the way, the Steelers no longer have a power running game. Maybe Mendy brings some of that back. But Cowher gave up on the Power run game in 2006 against Denver.
ANd Tomlin found out last year we don't have it anymore. Most fans could tell that the Steelers no longer had it. That identity is gone. Their not going to be able to control the line of scrimmage against these great teams they play this year with this offensive line. They have to come out in 3 and 4 WR sets and pas the ball. A lot. The steelers in 3 or 4 WR sets last year was near the very top of the NFL.

Oviedo
07-22-2008, 07:44 AM

Pappy

you may want to revisit the 2005 Playoffs. Watch the first half of the Colts game and the first half of the Broncos game. Then take a look at the box scores and view what the Steelers averaged per carry. Then re examine your postion.

By the way, the Steelers no longer have a power running game. Maybe Mendy brings some of that back. But Cowher gave up on the Power run game in 2006 against Denver.
ANd Tomlin found out last year we don't have it anymore. Most fans could tell that the Steelers no longer had it. That identity is gone. Their not going to be able to control the line of scrimmage against these great teams they play this year with this offensive line. They have to come out in 3 and 4 WR sets and pas the ball. A lot. The steelers in 3 or 4 WR sets last year was near the very top of the NFL.

This team and its fans needs to stop worrying about "persona" and "style" and exploit what the league rules grossly benefit--passing the ball. I'm not saying we pass the ball 60% of the time, but we need to use the the weapons we have with Ben, our WRs, RBs and TEs.

You can control the ball and the clock just as easily with a short, controlled passing game. The cumulative tiring effect of LBs chasing TEs and RBs on short passing patterns will be just as effective come the 4th Qtr as ramming the ball down their throats.

Three yards and a cloud of dust won't win against the elite teams in this league because they will simply outscore you. It is how the rules are enforced right now. The league wants scoring so you had better be able to score in bunches.

Bob
07-22-2008, 08:46 AM
If I could label the offense I would say: Power Spread.

Given our lack of faith in the OL having 2 TEs on the field at once which also offer mismatchs vs. LBs and Safeties as well as our speed at RB I think this would be a good offense to run.

I also gives us the option to use MS as an H-Back or to even split Miller out wide.

Lastly it gives us the option to make the D play even as they could not overload a specific side.

We did this to some degree last year but I would like to see this as our base O given our roster.

My 2 yen.

Oviedo
07-22-2008, 08:53 AM
If I could label the offense I would say: Power Spread.

Given our lack of faith in the OL having 2 TEs on the field at once which also offer mismatchs vs. LBs and Safeties as well as our speed at RB I think this would be a good offense to run.

I also gives us the option to use MS as an H-Back or to even split Miller out wide.

Lastly it gives us the option to make the D play even as they could not overload a specific side.

We did this to some degree last year but I would like to see this as our base O given our roster.

My 2 yen.

I'll take your two yen. I really hope we give the TEs more opportunities. IMHO they are the key to opening up this offense by getting LBs out of the box and chasing them with their backs to the LOS. Add Mendenhall to that.

You need to copyright the term "Power spread." I really like the term and what it suggests.

Bob
07-22-2008, 08:58 AM
I'm in contact with the copy writers as I type this hehehe!!!!!

In Miami, when Coker was in charge, we called it "The Coker T" FWIW...hehehe

papillon
07-22-2008, 09:23 AM

Pappy

Nothing to re-examine you're picking one game or series of games to identify that the passing attack carried them to the SB. They rushed the ball about 57% of the time in 2005, it's the cumulative affect of being able to run the ball almost at will that makes the passing game successful.

The Steelers no longer have a power running game and they don't have any more SBs either.

So, as I stated, until the Steelers pass the ball more than they run the ball and win a SB I will stay with the running game augmented by Ben's ability to make big plays as the formula for success.

Pappy

frankthetank1
07-22-2008, 09:39 AM

how are the pats going to stop any passing attack let alone the steelers offense? we saw last year they couldnt stop willie parker. well add mendenhall and sweed to the offense, thats scary. but i guess it all still comes down to the o-line

Shawn
07-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Good point Frank. And maybe I'm smokin the BnG crack pipe but I think the Steelers have a better shot at stopping the Pats then they have stopping us. We have 4 good DBs...Ike, McFadden, Townsend and Gay. We don't have a star at DB but we are fairly deep.

frankthetank1
07-22-2008, 10:53 AM
Good point Frank. And maybe I'm smokin the BnG crack pipe but I think the Steelers have a better shot at stopping the Pats then they have stopping us. We have 4 good DBs...Ike, McFadden, Townsend and Gay. We don't have a star at DB but we are fairly deep.

i forgot to include that in my post and it was actually my main point :lol:
who will they even have at cb? losing samuel was awful but losing gay on top of that is even worse. no team can rebound the year after losing your top two cb's. they can score all the points in the world and it wont matter. their d-line is still solid, but even at lb they are very thin. no more colvin and the stroke is a year older

Shawn
07-22-2008, 11:16 AM

i forgot to include that in my post and it was actually my main point :lol:
who will they even have at cb? losing samuel was awful but losing gay on top of that is even worse. no team can rebound the year after losing your top two cb's. they can score all the points in the world and it wont matter. their d-line is still solid, but even at lb they are very thin. no more colvin and the stroke is a year older

Exactly...I think we match up really really well against that aging Pats D. I don't think the Pats can maintain their dominance this season. The Steelers are better...make no mistake about that. And honestly...a statement to the draft naysayers. What OL guys could we have drafted that would swing us into this competitive in one season? We can focus on the trenches next draft. Right now as we stand we are one of the teams to beat.

ikestops85
07-22-2008, 11:20 AM
I agree that I don't think the O-line can support a power running game like we had in 2004 and 2005. I also don't think we can go pass happy ala the bengals. Again because the O-line just isn't good enough. What we need to do is something we are not known for ... become completely unpredictable. So while our O-line is not good enough to impose their will against other teams our offensive weapons are so good that we should be able to get away with running in passing situations and passing in running situations.

The problem I see us having in trying to run the offense this way is Arians. I'm certainly not sold on his play calling ... many times he leaves me scratching my head. For instance, why did he insist on running Willie up the middle so often instead of finding new ways to get him out on the edge. I love Willie but he's not a great power runner and he doesn't have a lot of shake n' bake. What he is excellent at is changing speeds and we all know he can flat out fly. It's Arians job to give Willie the best chance to succeed and in my opinion he doesn't.

The same applies to what Arians does to Ben in the 2nd half of games. The run, run and then pass on 3rd down mentality when we have the lead puts Ben in too many 3rd and long situations. :HeadBanger We were lucky that Ben had a great year and many times was able to keep the chains moving in that situation. IMHO Arians could make it much easier for Ben and the O-line by not being so predictable. If none of our playmakers are having a great year stat wise but they are all having good years then I think this team could go far.

... and if I could ask for just one thing. When we are under 2 minutes in the game and the steelers are up by 2 points ... could we once, just once, run a play action and hit Miller deep down the middle. :tt2