PDA

View Full Version : Steeler LB Corp is rated only #12 in the NFL

Oviedo
07-18-2008, 09:35 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/ ... id=3488158 (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=3488158)

I think that Woodley and Timmons moves this rating up significantly. BTW the Cowboys and the Chargers are rated #1 and #2.

12. Pittsburgh Steelers
James Harrison exceeded expectations in taking over for Joey Porter at right outside linebacker. He is tenacious and nasty. Harrison uses his power and leverage to his advantage and is a force in all aspects of his position. Opposite Harrison, second-year player LaMarr Woodley will replace Clark Haggans. In limited views, Woodley was extremely impressive. He is big and thick with natural pass-rushing skills. Woodley could be a breakout player this year with more time on the field and should be an instant upgrade over the departed Haggans. College DE Bruce Davis will be converted to outside linebacker and may see the field some in throwing situations this season as Woodley did a year ago. James Farrior and Larry Foote are the incumbent starters on the inside, but last year's first-round selection Lawrence Timmons will challenge Foote on the weak side. Even if he doesn't win the starting job, the versatile and gifted Timmons will have a prominent role in the sub-package defenses. Foote is proven and solid, but not the ideal athlete for this spot. It wouldn't be shocking to see Timmons go past him during the season. Farrior remains a rock for the Steelers. He is tough and physical at the point of attack. While his age is catching up to him and he isn't the top-notch athlete he was when drafted high in the first round, he remains very steady and important to this team. This ranking surely will fluctuate in accordance to how Woodley and Timmons perform.

NorCal-Steeler
07-18-2008, 11:28 AM
I'm looking for Farrior to have a big season this year with teams shifting protection to Woodley, Harrison and Timmons.

blacknblue80s
07-18-2008, 11:46 AM
Its funny, we have all been talking about how good the offense will be,
but this defense ranked #1 last year. Just imagine with the additions of Woodley, Timmons and Davis getting some time, they should be much improved.

My prediction is that our defense will outshine the offense this season as long as Aaron Smith stays healthy.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
07-18-2008, 02:35 PM
I think that article is right on the mark! Too many questions with Woodley & Timmons AS OF RIGHT NOW! I would say by years end...They will be in the Top5! Woodley & Harrison will have double digit sacks. Timmons will be starting by the break. He will end up with 90 tackles, 6 sacks, & 4 ints! Farrior will break 100 tackles again. Foote & Davis will also play important parts. Stay tuned Steeler fans...The "Just-Plain-Nasty" defense is back in the Steel City...minus #95 of course!

BIG FAN
07-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Hopefully the media runs out of lists, or else we will have to plod through top 20 waterboys, chain holders and concessions clerks. Although those are probably the only ranking that would remain consistent once the season starts.

NKySteeler
07-18-2008, 03:47 PM
...as long as Aaron Smith stays healthy.

Exactly! ... My only concern is a "lack of depth" on the line.

Shawn
07-18-2008, 04:09 PM
I think that article is right on the mark! Too many questions with Woodley & Timmons AS OF RIGHT NOW! I would say by years end...They will be in the Top5! Woodley & Harrison will have double digit sacks. Timmons will be starting by the break. He will end up with 90 tackles, 6 sacks, & 4 ints! Farrior will break 100 tackles again. Foote & Davis will also play important parts. Stay tuned Steeler fans...The "Just-Plain-Nasty" defense is back in the Steel City...minus #95 of course!

I agree with 100% of that statement. First, 12th is about right. Haggans sucked. Harrison is a beast but I still believe he belongs on the inside. Farriors play certainly dropped off...shoot the guy is like 70 y/o. And Foote is a solid average. I know Woodley instantly makes this LB core better. Woodley is a freak! 12+ sacks this season. Timmons ehhh....lets wait and see.

I will say this...I fully expect Harrison to move to Footes position, Timmons to slide to Farriors and Davis to take over Harrisons spot next season. That would be a beastly LB crew.

Oviedo
07-18-2008, 04:14 PM

I agree with 100% of that statement. First, 12th is about right. Haggans sucked. Harrison is a beast but I still believe he belongs on the inside. Farriors play certainly dropped off...shoot the guy is like 70 y/o. And Foote is a solid average. I know Woodley instantly makes this LB core better. Woodley is a freak! 12+ sacks this season. Timmons ehhh....lets wait and see.

I will say this...I fully expect Harrison to move to Footes position, Timmons to slide to Farriors and Davis to take over Harrisons spot next season. That would be a beastly LB crew.

Agree Harrison needs to be inside. Agree Woodley is double digits in sacks. I think in the right role Farrior is a stud. Timmons on the inside will help Farrior by taking over pass coverage responsibilities and letting Farrior control the LOS.

I hope Davis gets the reps Woodley got last season.

Woodley-Harrison-Timmons-Davis would be awesome. However, I would not count out Farrior. Just seems like the type of guy who would take a Bettis discount to stay.

ANPSTEEL
07-18-2008, 04:17 PM

That is an interesting idea- (in respect to next year) and i agree with the concept of moving Harrison and Timmons.

but it is dependent upon a couple items-
1. Davis will need to put on some weight / muscle
2. can davis drop into coverage

If the answer to #2 is yes- i'd flip Woodley and Davis.

just my thoughts

Shawn
07-18-2008, 04:34 PM

That is an interesting idea- (in respect to next year) and i agree with the concept of moving Harrison and Timmons.

but it is dependent upon a couple items-
1. Davis will need to put on some weight / muscle
2. can davis drop into coverage

If the answer to #2 is yes- i'd flip Woodley and Davis.

just my thoughts

I would think that Davis would be better in coverage than Woodley. Davis looks like he is built more like a SS than a LB. I'm not sure if that translates to coverage but Woodley won't be mistaken for Rod Woodson anytime soon. Woodley is a pass rushing machine and needs to be rushing the passer. So, I agree...if Davis can cover let him do so.

eniparadoxgma
07-18-2008, 08:10 PM
I don't have much to add. I just wanted to say that I'm excited about the fresh blood in our LB corps. I'm expecting Woodley to be a beast this year and I think Timmons is going to surprise all the doubters and also be a force on our defense.

Ozey74
07-18-2008, 08:27 PM
I expect Timmons to surprise us. The LB's have a boatload of upside. How can a Steeler Fan not get excited about this?

:tt2

BigLebowski
07-18-2008, 09:33 PM
I expect Timmons to surprise us. The LB's have a boatload of upside. How can a Steeler Fan not get excited about this?

I am thinking the other way, I expect Foote to come out hungry and surprise us.

With that being said, I would prefer Timmons due to his athletic ability and his upside.

Ozey74
07-18-2008, 09:38 PM

With that being said, I would prefer Timmons due to his athletic ability and his upside.

As long as production is comming out of that spot I will be happy!!!

BigLebowski
07-18-2008, 09:43 PM

My sentiments exactly. I don't care if they switch each and every down. As long as nobody and I mean Nobody runs on us.

NKySteeler
07-18-2008, 09:44 PM
I would prefer Timmons due to his athletic ability and his upside.

I really am expecting big things from this cat... He had a bummer of a rookie season, IMO, and I want to see him explode this year.... Hopefully it happens...

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/3074/steelersks7.gif

Ozey74
07-18-2008, 09:47 PM

My sentiments exactly. I don't care if they switch each and every down. As long as nobody and I mean Nobody runs on us.

Agreed. Those games without Aaron Smith were hard to watch. Our staunch run D has always been our forte.

BigLebowski
07-18-2008, 09:49 PM
I would prefer Timmons due to his athletic ability and his upside.

I really am expecting big things from this cat... He had a bummer of a rookie season, IMO, and I want to see him explode this year.... Hopefully it happens...

My heart agrees with you, but my head thinks Foote is not going to go down with out of fight. I am so excited to see this battle in camp. This is good problem to have if your name is Keith Butler.

BigLebowski
07-18-2008, 09:51 PM

Agreed. Those games without Aaron Smith were hard to watch. Our staunch run D has always been our forte.

Tell me about, it felt like my heart was being ripped from my chest. :oops:

NKySteeler
07-18-2008, 09:55 PM
My heart agrees with you, but my head thinks Foote is not going to go down with out of fight. I am so excited to see this battle in camp. This is good problem to have if your name is Keith Butler.

BL, I was not a supporter of the Timmons pick. And my opinion is still in decision-mode about him.... I just want to see him do good before placing any "B-word" labels on him. Hell, Troy didn't do anything during his rookie year, as is the MO with most of the Steelers.... So I'm just hoping.... :wink:

Ozey74
07-18-2008, 09:56 PM

BL, I was not a supporter of the Timmons pick. And my opinion is still in decision-mode about him.... I just want to see him do good before placing any "B-word" labels on him. Hell, Troy didn't do anything during his rookie year, as is the MO with most of the Steelers.... So I'm just hoping.... :wink:

Who did you wanna see picked in the draft last year instead of Timmons?

NKySteeler
07-18-2008, 10:20 PM
Who did you wanna see picked in the draft last year instead of Timmons?

I'll be honest, I don't remember who was available back then two drafts ago... But I didn't expect him to be the one, and I was shocked when it happened. I talked to several board members on the phone that day, and that was the prevalent feeling... Like I said, I want to see him do well, and really hope he does.

sd steel
07-19-2008, 01:17 AM
12th??????

Is this guy serious? Wasn't our D ranked 1st most of last year? From what I read on these boards, our D line is old and has no depth, our corners are mediocre, and Troy is always out of position, and the rest of the safeties are either slow, injured or inconsistant at best.

So it's pretty obvious that our LB's still control our destiny, and wasn't our D ranked 1st most of last year? (oh yeah, I already said that). We upgraded by losing Haggans, and having Woodley starting.

I would say he is on mark with what he wrote about us, but at the same time his rankings are off base. 12th???????? Are you kidding me? Yes we don't have Ware, or Merriman, (but we might with Woodley), but he is not ranking LB corps, he is ranking single big named backers, then a couple of the guys that help them. We don't have a big named backer currently, but we have a group that is way more productive that a single big named player.

How do these guys keep their jobs?

BigLebowski
07-20-2008, 08:55 AM

I agree, I was not a Timmons advocate either on draft day. But he is now in the Black and Gold so I will root for him just like anybody else.

I was one of those Revis advocates back then.

Ozey74
07-20-2008, 09:25 AM

I agree, I was not a Timmons advocate either on draft day. But he is now in the Black and Gold so I will root for him just like anybody else.

I recall pulling for Poz to be pikced by the Steelers. My info on Timmons was limited & I just kept trying to convince myselft that the FO knows what there doing.

BigLebowski
07-20-2008, 11:25 AM

I recall pulling for Poz to be pikced by the Steelers. My info on Timmons was limited & I just kept trying to convince myselft that the FO knows what there doing.

Being a PSU grad I was pulling for POZ too, but I really wanted Revis and not just for his ball skills, but as a returner too.

I also kept trying to convince myself that the Steeler Brass knew what they were doing.

And quite frankly, the jury is still out.

Ozey74
07-20-2008, 11:42 AM

True. Personally, I feel more optimistic about him right now than I did a year ago. One reason for this is reading quotes from Larry Foote thinking his PT may be cut into by Timmons. I'm hopefull that he can show us good things in Latrobe.

BigLebowski
07-20-2008, 01:10 PM

True. Personally, I feel more optimistic about him right now than I did a year ago. One reason for this is reading quotes from Larry Foote thinking his PT may be cut into by Timmons. I'm hopefull that he can show us good things in Latrobe.

Agreed. It is those quotes that make me feel Foote is not going to just roll over and let Timmons have it. That should be a good battle in camp. And as I said earlier, that is a good problem to have if you are Butler.

SeaOracle
07-21-2008, 10:16 PM
This topic interests me because, not really having a way to personally compare teams at this position, I just hear through the grapevine who's got the top groups. I can't get access to the Insider article so I don't know the top 12 list. I have an idea Seattle's LBs are in the top 5 because two are all pro. But like several of you have said, Pittsburgh must have a comparatively good group. The question is, can someone on the board give us an analysis of the top 12 that isn't biased by the typical media hype? For example, teams with a big name draft pick who's had a lot of exposure tend to get higher ratings and the unsung heroes get ignored. This is a pet peeve of mine. I mean, how did the Giants appear out of nowhere to win the SB? Didn't the media completely overlook them? As for LBs, you have to assume that every team has at least one very good one. So the question is whether a team has a special LB, or a group that's uniformly good. Then there's speed and coverage ability vs power and rush ability. In some ways these are apples and oranges. What do y'all think about these rating questions?

SO