PDA

View Full Version : Mark Madden On The Possible Sale Of The Steelers....

NKySteeler
07-16-2008, 06:34 PM
I have always thought Madden was an idiot, and this article doesn't change my perspective whatsoever....
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Losing Rooneys not a bad thing
By Mark Madden
Times Sports Columnist
Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Steelers will never move. It doesnít matter who owns the team. Look at all the championships. Look at all the sellouts. The NFL would never let it happen. The Steelers will be in Pittsburgh forever.

Just like the (real) Browns in Cleveland and the Colts in Baltimore.

Actually, the Steelers definitely wonít be moving, not with that stadium and that lease. But it seems possible, even likely, that control of the franchise will move from its founding family, the Rooneys, to billionaire hedge fund manager Stanley Druckenmiller.

Said prospect has caused panic in the streets of Pittsburgh akin to the fire sale scene in ďLive Free or Die Hard,Ē as if a national shutdown of transportation, communication and all utilities is even remotely comparable to something legitimately significant like a shakeup in Steelers ownership. Never mind the infrastructure of the United States. Weíre talking about the infrastructure of Heinz Field tailgating.

Letís dispel one myth right away: If Druckenmiller gets majority interest in the team, he will not have Dan Rooney continue to run the team. The Steelers patriarch might serve as a figurehead, but billionaire fans donít buy their favorite team so the old owner can keep managing it. Druckenmiller says Rooney would remain in charge, but I simply refuse to believe it.

So hereís the big question: Is Druckenmiller taking control of the Steelers necessarily a bad thing?

Ron Burkleís hands-on involvement with the Penguins has been very peripheral, but his fortune ($3.5 billion, same as Druckenmillerís) has given the club a handy financial safety net. Burkle also wants to win. Itís his first priority with the Penguins.

For Dan Rooney, the Steelers are the family business. His first priority is making money. What if Druckenmiller takes over and, because he can afford to, puts winning first? Wouldnít that be good?

Rooney ownership/administration of the Steelers has always been a source of comfort for the teamís fans. But Dan Rooney is 75. His grip on the teamís operations is waning.

Maybe it boils down to Druckenmiller vs. Danís son, Art Rooney II. Do you have as much faith in Artie as you do in Dan? If so, whatís that faith based on? Do you inherit football knowledge/business acumen genetically? Artieís only true qualification for running the Steelers is his last name. Is that enough?

Itís amusing to see the Rooney clanís squabbles become public. (But not too public; the Rooney-coddling Pittsburgh media continues to burnish the family image even through this crisis.)

This is an easy story to boil down, one virtually free of complications: Danís four brothers want bought out. Dan, as he is wont to do, gave them a lowball offer. His brothers went into a tizzy and retained investment management firm Goldman, Sachs & Co. to field outside bids. If Druckenmiller buys out Danís brothers, he owns 64 percent of the Steelers.

Dan Rooney might lose the Steelers the same way he lost Rod Woodson. Thereís some irony there.

This family split is doubtless fueled by some leftover animosity between Dan and Art Jr. Brother fired brother in 1987 when Dan axed Art Jr. as the Steelersí director of scouting and player personnel. Art Jr. had some incredible drafts ó like 1974, when the Steelers got Lynn Swann, Jack Lambert, John Stallworth and Mike Webster ó but got canned after selecting just two Pro Bowlers from 1978-86.

Art Jr. has mostly suppressed his bitterness, but itís easy to read between the lines when he says things now like, ďHow about that? Iíve become a big shot after being exiled 20 years ago.Ē

Steelers fans should want Druckenmiller to get the team. Aside from the dominant í70s, whoíd the Rooney family ever beat? Look at all the opportunities the Steelers had during the Cowher era. They won Super Bowl XL, but does that excuse all the other blown chances?

The Steelers should have won at least one more Super Bowl during Cowherís 15 seasons, and should have been in at least two more. Cowher mismanaged some AFC finals at home, thatís for certain. But there were other times that signing a big-money free agent might have put the Steelers over the top, and the Steelers didnít do it because that isnít ďthe Rooney way.Ē

Dan Rooney has done a great job making the Steelers a consistent playoff team.

But if you prefer championships over consistency, perhaps a billionaire who paints his face black and gold on game days will provide some much-needed passion and financing.

The Rooneys run the Steelers to make money. The current situation confirms that. Maybe Stanley Druckenmiller will run the Steelers to win.

Steel Life
07-16-2008, 07:38 PM
Madden ( :stirpot )....back to his usual self - :HeadBanger

Flasteel
07-16-2008, 07:50 PM
douchebaggery at it's finest.

ghettoscott
07-16-2008, 08:12 PM
is this that D-bag that got fired a month or two ago from the radio?

also...

'This is an easy story to boil down, one virtually free of complications: Danís four brothers want bought out. Dan, as he is wont to do, gave them a lowball offer.

... :wft

NKySteeler
07-16-2008, 08:13 PM

Yup.... This is the same moron....

buckeyehoppy
07-16-2008, 08:22 PM
What's more corrosive: battery acid or a Mark Madden column? Even if he makes a good point, you find it difficult to defend what he's saying. The guy just comes across as a doosh bag.

BIG FAN
07-17-2008, 01:29 AM
douchebaggery at it's finest.

So very true.
This man has become the epitome of the douche bag.

Ozey74
07-17-2008, 07:31 AM
Comparing Madden to douchbags is an insult to douchbags.

The afternoon on 1250AM is much more enjoyable without him.

Oviedo
07-17-2008, 07:48 AM

But you are all talking about him which is exactly why he does what he does.

Ozey74
07-17-2008, 08:00 AM

But you are all talking about him which is exactly why he does what he does.

Not living in the area, I enjoy listening to ESPN 1250AM online while (at work) for the sportstalk of my beloved Steelers. This is the only source to get this kind of information. If I had other options to hear Steeler talk during Madden's time slot, believe me I would of listened to that instead.

For example, last fall my options were this:

1. Madden
2. Tricio & Van Pelt slobbering over the Pats.

Shawn
07-17-2008, 08:01 AM
Mark Madden might have a point if the Rooneys made very poor decisions based on fiscal policy. But, because they are wise business men...they also play the cap very well. I dont know of many teams that field a competitive team...year in and year out.

AngryAsian
07-17-2008, 08:17 AM
Mark Madden might have a point if the Rooneys made very poor decisions based on fiscal policy. But, because they are wise business men...they also play the cap very well. I dont know of many teams that field a competitive team...year in and year out.

Any Steeler fan has a right to be disgruntled regarding the past miss chances (especially the AFCCGs) but they have to also be happy with the results over the past 16 seasons we've had many more competitive peaks than we've had slumping valleys. In fact our valleys have equated to a season, max, then the usual rebound. Look at teams like the Cardinals, Browns, Bengals, Detroit.... the list goes on. We are truly lucky to have had the ownership we've had, regardless of the "cheap-skate" moniker they've received over the years.

proudpittsburgher
07-17-2008, 09:50 AM

Any Steeler fan has a right to be disgruntled regarding the past miss chances (especially the AFCCGs) but they have to also be happy with the results over the past 16 seasons we've had many more competitive peaks than we've had slumping valleys. In fact our valleys have equated to a season, max, then the usual rebound. Look at teams like the Cardinals, Browns, Bengals, Detroit.... the list goes on. We are truly lucky to have had the ownership we've had, regardless of the "cheap-skate" moniker they've received over the years.

You know AA, I remember hearing one of the talking idiots on NFLN during the Steelers breakdown this year, talking about Tomlin, saying the Rooney's "will give him plenty of lee-way, after all, they stuck with Cowher through his lean years." I was like, seriously? He had what, three losing seasons through his long tenure? Name me a team that wouldn't give their left nut for performance and consistently like that. Look, I'm no pushover, but I tend to give a team some slack when 1. they have won a super bowl very recently, and 2. will make the playoffs 80 percent of the time, even when they don't have the horses to do so. Some would call that pathetic, I say expecting nothing less than a Super Bowl each and every season is unrealistic.

To the point of the article, I think Mark Madden is like a lot of the posters on TribLive, and that's why most of us are postign here that majority of the time. There were so many people on that board that I would never want to watch a game with.

Shawn
07-17-2008, 10:02 AM

You know AA, I remember hearing one of the talking idiots on NFLN during the Steelers breakdown this year, talking about Tomlin, saying the Rooney's "will give him plenty of lee-way, after all, they stuck with Cowher through his lean years." I was like, seriously? He had what, three losing seasons through his long tenure? Name me a team that wouldn't give their left nut for performance and consistently like that. Look, I'm no pushover, but I tend to give a team some slack when 1. they have won a super bowl very recently, and 2. will make the playoffs 80 percent of the time, even when they don't have the horses to do so. Some would call that pathetic, I say expecting nothing less than a Super Bowl each and every season is unrealistic.

To the point of the article, I think Mark Madden is like a lot of the posters on TribLive, and that's why most of us are postign here that majority of the time. There were so many people on that board that I would never want to watch a game with.

I would like to think that the Planet is the place with more cerebral football conversation. The hysterics, the lack of insight, and the overall "sky is falling" mentality is not for me. There were plenty of good posters over there. But, I invited them all here lol. What's left...is not pretty. The few of you that post over there are the only thing keeping that place from turning into a total sess pool of ignorance.

proudpittsburgher
07-17-2008, 10:10 AM

I would like to think that the Planet is the place with more cerebral football conversation. The hysterics, the lack of insight, and the overall "sky is falling" mentality is not for me. There were plenty of good posters over there. But, I invited them all here lol. What's left...is not pretty. The few of you that post over there are the only thing keeping that place from turning into a total sess pool of ignorance.

You know, SMG, I don't really consider myself much of an X's and O's kind of guy, but some of those people will never be happy, and Madden is one of them. It just irks me how fans are so quick to throw the term "sucks" around about a pro-bowl player. It's one thing to think we would be a better team if we traded WP for some draft picks. It's an opinion, nothing wrong with that. But to say a guy who has rushed for well over 1,000 yards the past couple of years sucks, or to say Hines Ward sucks is just ignorant, you know? Like I said, i would never want to watch a game with them. Makes you think a couple of them jumped on board after 2005 and any year we don't win a super bowl, the team sucks. :roll:

Ozey74
07-17-2008, 10:22 AM

This board is way better. I lurked quit a bit at the Trib for almost 2 years. I've been here 2 months and have about the same # of posts that I did in my 2 years at the Trib just because this is a much more enjoyable platform. There is a right and a wrong way to disagree with someone. The right way is displayed here, IMO.

Shawn
07-17-2008, 10:45 AM

This board is way better. I lurked quit a bit at the Trib for almost 2 years. I've been here 2 months and have about the same # of posts that I did in my 2 years at the Trib just because this is a much more enjoyable platform. There is a right and a wrong way to disagree with someone. The right way is displayed here, IMO.

Every place has their own style...and that's ok. SN...loves "freedom" and I respect that. But, it was ultimately the source of their downfall. Anarchy will always destroy and is never a good policy. The Trib has a lack of people running things that actually care. The board will always attract new talent because of it's exposure but the talent won't stay. People want responsive mods, a community that actually gives a ish about their concerns, and servers that were not built in the 1980's. Unfortunately, that will never change there...no matter how many people leave. The trolls are protected. Quality posters are ignored. And ultimately the Trib will only serve as a launching platform for new sites. I think John has created a terrific place for people that want to have civil intelligent conversation.

proudpittsburgher
07-17-2008, 12:42 PM
Every place has their own style...and that's ok. SN...loves "freedom" and I respect that. But, it was ultimately the source of their downfall. Anarchy will always destroy and is never a good policy. The Trib has a lack of people running things that actually care. The board will always attract new talent because of it's exposure but the talent won't stay. People want responsive mods, a community that actually gives a ish about their concerns, and servers that were not built in the 1980's. Unfortunately, that will never change there...no matter how many people leave. The trolls are protected. Quality posters are ignored. And ultimately the Trib will only serve as a launching platform for new sites. I think John has created a terrific place for people that want to have civil intelligent conversation.

Wow, someone who readily admits that there is more than one way to think/argue/discuss. :lol: Can't argue with any of that. :Beer

BURGH86STEEL
07-17-2008, 02:34 PM
I do not know why anyone listens to this idiot or takes the time to read his articles.

Jigawatts
07-17-2008, 02:47 PM
I do not know why anyone listens to this idiot or takes the time to read his articles.

Like Oz said, espnradio.com is a great way for out-of-towners to hear Steelers news.
The trick was to get the updates while tuning out Madden's BS.

Mr Smartmonies
07-17-2008, 10:12 PM

I agree with this. You can state your opinion on here and rarely does the discussion
start off with a personal attack. I have only one issue with planet steelers. It's the
dark backround with the bright print in the forums. I just find myself squinting my eyes a lot.

Oviedo
07-18-2008, 07:52 AM
Got to agree that the layout is not eye friendly, but a far better board than most of us left. Every once and awhile I go to the old place and look and it is like a bunch of pre-schoolers calling each other names.

Thank you for this forum.

BIG FAN
07-21-2008, 01:33 AM
I'll put my pat on the back to the Planet also.
I also lurked for quite a while before I joined over at the Trib. Once I did (about this time last year) I was pretty much welcomed by the folks who really talked football, discussed, argued till dawn at times, and when they stepped over the line with each other from time to time, manned up and let it go. This type of board member soon became the dreaded "clique" if for example you did not agree with something said, and you stated why and presented reasonable argument for your opinion without resorting to racial or sexual or gender bias insults, innuendos or cowardly keyboard brave hating then you were in the "clique". I never started much of anything over there, as it is usually much more fun to me to comment on others statements. I did blast a few Trolls, and some bigots.
Guess I'm in the clique after all, or better yet (to paraphrase Proud Pittsburgher) I am posting somewhere with people I would watch a game with. Hell, even if I couldn't get tickets I would travel to tailgate with this "clique" to tailgate and shake their hands.
Just how I look at it.

ramblinjim
07-21-2008, 08:33 AM
I have to say that I joined up here not too long ago and think about the same as SMG. I may not add much all the time but the tone here is much more civilized.

I still read the other board in the mornings but this is where I intend to lurk during the football season.

Ozey74
07-21-2008, 09:35 AM
I have to say that I joined up here not too long ago and think about the same as SMG. I may not add much all the time but the tone here is much more civilized.

I still read the other board in the mornings but this is where I intend to lurk during the football season.

When it's slow here, I will still lurk there.