PDA

View Full Version : Bigger Geeks: Fantasy F-ballers or Msg board-ers?

NKySteeler
07-12-2008, 05:00 PM
Did anyone else hear this running question back on Thursday? Must have been a slow news day...

... On the Tirico & Van Pelt show (with Erik Kuselias filling in for Tirico) back on Thursday, this was the "question of the day". Van Pelt said it was F-Ballers, while Kuselias said it was msg board posters.... It was actually pretty funny how it went on, and on, and on... Some funny lines came from it... "Fantasy footballers can put on thier Darth Vadar helmets and pretend that they are GMs..." "Msg board posters hold up in thier moms' basement..." "My six-yr old picked my team, and I won the division..." "GatorHater227 can call and voice his protest while he screams upstairs for more meatloaf..." ...Van Pelt admitted to posting on various boards so as to grasp the feeling of the fans, while Kuselias is going to be doing a fantasy show this season...

Brenda and I were driving back from a morning of fishing while down in Myrtle for a few days, and she was laughing her azc off, saying.... "That's Exactly You, Dear!!!..."

... I would have taken offense to the whole thing, but it was just so funny!... Anyone else catch some of it?

BigLebowski
07-12-2008, 05:06 PM
John Clayton is the biggest geek anywhere. So my vote would go to sportswriters.
:lol:

NKySteeler
07-12-2008, 05:11 PM
John Clayton is the biggest geek anywhere. So my vote would go to sportswriters.
:lol:

...Well, he is DEFINITELY on my list... Ever since he blew the whistle on the Steelers for violating off-season practice rules back in '78....

...I hold a grudge!...... :lol:

Ozey74
07-12-2008, 05:43 PM
Yes, I caught the entire banter the other day while listening to ESPN Radio online. I take part in both of these activities. I have alot of down time at work & this is how I get thru my work day.

Van Pelt has no business calling anyone a nerd. Please click below for proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5a4p3x091A

NKySteeler
07-12-2008, 05:57 PM
That was pretty bad Oz, and funny at the same time....

... I just thought it all was very funny (show topic question). I don't mind either of those guys as ESPN anchors...

I also do both activities, but took no offense to it.... :wink:

Ozey74
07-12-2008, 06:07 PM

... I just thought it all was very funny (show topic question). I don't mind either of those guys as ESPN anchors...

I took no offense either, I thought it was funny. I like Kuselias & wish he had a full time gig during the week. He does have morning show on Saturday's from 7-9 am (I think).

As far as the Van Pelt link, that's was harsh for that girl to post that online!!!

NKySteeler
07-12-2008, 06:10 PM
As far as the Van Pelt link, that's was harsh for that girl to post that online!!!

Very true.... As "geeks" go, I like the guy....... :lol:

stlrz d
07-12-2008, 06:15 PM
Who among us hasn't left a message like that? :oops:

As for the show, I caught part of it and thought it was pretty funny. Especially since they're both wrong! :lol:

Ozey74
07-12-2008, 06:20 PM
In general, I like geeks. They are usually very funny people. There has to be another reason for me not to like someone other than them just being a geek. I know you have it in for Clayton, but I repect the knowledge that he brings to ESPN. If the TV is on at the house and I'm busy doing something, I always stop what I'm doing to listen to what he has to say. Clayton is the grand poo-bah of the Geeks.....

Van Pelt really isn't that much of a geek. Just seems like a nice guy who got burned!!! It's happenend to most people at some point......

Ozey74
07-12-2008, 06:23 PM

So true. And I wondered why I never got a call back??

BIG FAN
07-12-2008, 07:30 PM

Evidently, you wern't speaking with Les 74. :lol:

Ozey74
07-12-2008, 08:02 PM
[quote="stlrz d":2g7ilylo]Who among us hasn't left a message like that? :oops:

Evidently, you wern't speaking with Les 74. :lol:[/quote:2g7ilylo]

Ehy Oh!!!!! :Clap

proudpittsburgher
07-12-2008, 09:43 PM
I like VP, but his rational was flawed. He talks about how Fantasy sports are pointless because they are, essentually fake. Yet, this is a guy who fills out numerous NCAA Tournament brackets year in and year out, so i guess it is ok when he does it, but not fantasy baseball and football players. :roll:

RuthlessBurgher
07-13-2008, 01:12 PM

I took no offense either, I thought it was funny. I like Kuselias & wish he had a full time gig during the week. He does have morning show on Saturday's from 7-9 am (I think).

I liked Kuselius when he had his afternoon drive show on ESPN radio for a while there. He started out with his brother as the "Sports Brothers", but his brother went back to his old job (as a lawyer, I think). It then became the "Sports Bash" for a while, but Erik then took a TV gig hosting a NASCAR show (never watched it, because I have no interest in watching cars turn left). I'm not sure if he is still doing the NASCAR show or not, but it is good to hear him filling in for Mike and Mike now and then, or Tirico and Van Pelt or whatever.

rpmpit
07-14-2008, 10:14 AM

As for the show, I caught part of it and thought it was pretty funny. Especially since they're both wrong! :lol:

I can honestly say I never have. But I have a reason. I have three older sisters who taught me at a young age that girls like to be treated like dirt - up to a certain point. Then once you land them, you have to start being a nice guy.

Seems like Scott is a nice dude. Unfortunately for him, that just doesn't work.

Oh, and on the original topic - I don't play FF so they are definitely the bigger geeks :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
07-14-2008, 10:22 AM
Those of us that signed up for a message board fantasy football league must me uber-geeks. Recognize. :lol:

Iron Shiek
07-14-2008, 10:49 AM
Those of us that signed up for a message board fantasy football league must me uber-geeks. Recognize. :lol:

I was going to say the same thing. I am a little late on this thread, but I heard that conversation on ESPN radio last week, and was cracking up because I heard it right after I signed up for said "Message Board 'Fantasy Football'" League. Ugh, what tools we are...ha. :wink:

RussBII
07-14-2008, 10:56 AM
This is kind of irrelevant nowadays. Geeks used to be shunned, but geeks can get PAID.

Thank you internet!

Ozey74
07-14-2008, 11:16 AM
This is kind of irrelevant nowadays. Geeks used to be shunned, but geeks can get PAID.

Thank you internet!

This reminds me of a bumper sticker that I saw once that read:

BE NICE TO GEEKS IN HIGH SCHOOL. SOME DAY THEY WILL BE YOUR BOSS.

:)